NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Sean Brennan

Default Is there people you wont buy from simply because of their attitude?

Was curious how many out there, if any, wont buy from someone on here,ebay, and/or at a show simply because their attitude sucks.
I have a couple myself. I've been to a show where just simply asking how much a card is (because the dealer didnt bother putting a price on it) is meant with disgust or just a general crappy attitude.
I've passed on a few deals on before simply because of previous dealings where emails go unanswered, they are not helpful in the least, or you get short condescending responses.
I'm of the opinion I'd rather spend my money with helpful, courteous people.

Last edited by milkit1; 07-12-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:21 PM
Ben North

I only have 3 sellers I won't buy from. 2 on eBay and 1 on here.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Robert Williams

One "old school" card dealer, for multiple instances of card misrepresentation.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 07-12-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:32 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Yes
Old 07-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quite a few, because I believe they are outlets for card doctors.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Totally. There are even people I wouldn't sell to because I don't like them.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:59 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Yes. Mainly for one of the reasons you mentioned above. When I was in my early teens (had a job at 14, so I had $$) some dealers would either act bothered that I dared to ask them about the condition of a card, or they would simply ignore me.

Fast forward to the world of the internet and there are so many places to buy a card that I will not spend my time or money on some jerk. Luckily, I've only had incredible transactions here on the BST, including two where I recieved the item before the check had even cleared!
Old 07-12-2015, 04:00 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
This is interesting. I'm trying to think if I would refuse money because I didn't care for someone...probably yes. Can you elaborate on this...only because it's interesting.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:02 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Attitude NO, Price YES but that's mostly all eBay
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 07-12-2015, 04:04 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
This is interesting. I'm trying to think if I would refuse money because I didn't care for someone...probably yes. Can you elaborate on this...only because it's interesting.
LOL you make an interesting point Andrew. It is very noble for not accepting money out of the principal of disliking someone though.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 07-12-2015, 06:45 PM

Yes.

We collectors are frequently a very quiet, sensitive, and immensely passionate bunch of people. We take our collecting very seriously, even if we try to be low-key about the whole thing. I am speaking of collectors in general, because I believe we all share the same passions, and sensitivity to certain attitudes found among assholes in whatever hobby interests us.

Maya Angelou was so right-on when she wrote of all the things we'll remember about a person, how they made us feel will be the main thing we'll always remember, and it will affect everything about how we feel towards that individual.

For better or for worse, how you got a treasured card or complete set--the circumstances, the price, and the whole experience from whom you got that meaningful piece from, will, as the years go by, come back to your mind. It won't just be the card or set. You wish you could separate the card from the jerk, but sometimes you cannot take "the jerk" out of the card, and have to just sell the thing and get another one, to get the asshole's stench removed from the association with the given item. Odious comment, but it's been true for me.

Forgive me for not getting too specific or naming names, much as I might feel the urge to now and then. There's two sides though, remember?

Dealers probably have their own lists of reprehensible buyers whom they feel a genuine headache coming upon them every time they see one those scumbags approach their table. Yep, it can go both ways. No, I've never been a dealer. Took out some ads in SCD back in the day with numerous frantic phone calls. I tried to treat everyone with dignity and respect, and let down the guys who called "too late" as tenderly as I could, 'cause I had been there numerous times before myself. I'm pleased to say that of well over 100 sales, a decent amount were repeat customers; I only had one returned item.

Good topic to cogitate about, but sometimes there's things you really don't want to remember.....

Cheers.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 07-13-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I won't sell to anyone who tells me to ship the card to Dick Towle. Seriously, it's happened.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:29 PM
je.sse @rnot

I agree this could definitely work both ways. I wouldn't buy from someone who had a bad attitude or didn't respond to a question before the sale. If they're rude before they have your money how are they going to respond to a problem.

Same with a rude customer. I work in car sales and have seen deals passed on because the guy was a jerk. Some customers are not worth having in any industry.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:34 PM

affirmative
Old 07-12-2015, 07:52 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Yes. Both buying and selling and both here on the boards. I buy much more than sell but the two things that prevent me from working on a deal with certain members are poor communication skills and the way they treat others in general topics and discussions.
If I see someone who is a know it all and condescending towards others in most comments they make I don't even look at their threads in the BST.
Same with people who are selling, trading or buying then you open up discussion then once an agreement is made they drop the conversation. I'm still "waiting" on a payment for an item someon promised to purchase in March. When I see the same thread pop up saying "looking to buy..." I move along and hope others do the same.
Overall I've had great deals with many members and likewise I have my favorites I enjoy buying from. Goes both ways.
Drew
Old 07-12-2015, 09:06 PM
Archive

Sean

Good thread topic!

After being a pre war card collector for almost ten years now, there are a few people that I refuse to buy from.

Jantz
Old 07-12-2015, 09:40 PM
Steve Birmingham

I've been collecting on and off for around .....

lets just say a long time. Not as long as some, but a long time.

There aren't really many people I've run across that I've put on the "never buy from" or "won't sell to" list. Of course there's a bunch I just don't bother with, but not actively. More like the guys at shows who don't have what I'm interested in or whose prices seem to be "excessively imaginative"

Most of the big problem dealers are in the category of people who sell stuff I can't afford so by default I won't deal with them.

I can't say I'm a great seller or buyer. I can drop communication for a day or two if I'm busy of thinking about something, or simply haven't dug it out from under the stuff on top of the box it's in. (Lots better with active sales - I keep that stuff easily accessible so I can ship it easily)
But then, I don't get cranky if I'm debating a purchase and someone else comes along with a solid offer. That's the risk of thinking about stuff.

The very short list?
A card shop in CT where I got dropped off and after 5 minutes the guy gets a call and says I'll have to leave since he needs to go sell his house! What, you couldn't have mentioned it when my ride who is now gone for 2 hours was still here? Gee thanks.

Mr Mint. I called about his ad for the tango egg cards and never got a call back. Not even from staff to say they were sold out or that the prices were a typo - they might have been.

A current Ebay seller with very washed out scans and a trimmed card that didn't respond until I filed a case. Then it was "oh I was away" so I couldn't respond and eventually a request to remove the negative I gave. All without ever addressing the trimming........

And not cards, but one stamp dealer.......Picked out some stuff, and the first thing in the stack he says "ok that's $75 " " umm, but it's clearly marked $10" "that's from when I bought it" "ever hear of an eraser?" Do you want it or not" "No" How about the other stuff?" "are those the price you paid too?" "probably" "Then nevemind and thanks for wasting my time"
I think he might have died, he was pretty old and I haven't seen him setup anywhere in a few years. But I always passed by his booth without looking.

The close runner up is an antique shop in CT. They had a bunch of nice sewing stuff my wife wanted at great prices. When we went to buy it she said "Oh no, you can't buy all of them you have to leave some for other people" followed by a lengthy gripe about how ebay meant she couldn't buy stuff cheaply anymore. When they worked out what my wife would be allowed to buy - easily the strangest negotiation I'd ever seen. We got to my stuff. And I said "well, I'd have bought about $100 in stuff, but I suppose I need to leave some for other people". And went through the stack and put back about $75 of the stuff. Then she took back some tools which were apparently the handymans he'd left in a pie plate in the window with price tags on them.......Never seen such a messed up place. But the stuff I did get was REALLY cheap, so.....maybe.

Steve B
Old 07-12-2015, 09:56 PM
T0NY @

Yes
Old 07-12-2015, 10:35 PM

I don't choose not to buy based on attitude. I have had some guys who have seemed gruff at first and later I saw them or heard from them in some fashion (i.e. e-mail) and they were much more pleasant. The ones I do not buy from did something specifically that I thought was unethical.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:11 AM
Phil Garry

If there's a rare card that you need for your collection, just about everyone who says that they wouldn't, will in fact buy the card, regardless of who the seller is. Same thing is true with the auction houses.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:27 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I am sure there have been a few, but I usually just forget about them and move on to the next card or seller...I have found that bad customer service gets its own 'reward' without my help.

Everyone can have a bad day, but I prefer to be treated at least as well as my money.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-13-2015, 06:36 AM
Sean Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Yes. Both buying and selling and both here on the boards. I buy much more than sell but the two things that prevent me from working on a deal with certain members are poor communication skills and the way they treat others in general topics and discussions.
If I see someone who is a know it all and condescending towards others in most comments they make I don't even look at their threads in the BST.
Same with people who are selling, trading or buying then you open up discussion then once an agreement is made they drop the conversation. I'm still "waiting" on a payment for an item someon promised to purchase in March. When I see the same thread pop up saying "looking to buy..." I move along and hope others do the same.
Overall I've had great deals with many members and likewise I have my favorites I enjoy buying from. Goes both ways.
Drew
yeah this is pretty much the way I am. I've been doing this 33 years and my list of "no deals" is surprisingly short considering. With the National coming up I expect to see a few. Thankfully I remember them and walk past but on occasion I still get the dealer that is soooo put out because I ask to see a card that turns out has a price tag on the BACK that is way overpriced.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:36 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Yes, there are those I will not buy from or sell to.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 07-13-2015, 09:41 AM
D@vi d B@zi ni

People will probably avoid buying from me now that I've made my feelings known concerning the awful arm of Babe Ruth's daughter. It's not my fault that she couldn't hit the broad side of a fluorescent barn, yet people would make me suffer for her shortcomings. What a world.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:19 AM
Dave

Absolutely. Collecting is what I do for fun/enjoyment. If I want attitude, I could just stay at work, or coach a team of 13 year olds.

Plus, mean people suck.
Successful transactions with: polakoff, Paul S, xplainer, marvymelvin, lordstan, Thromdog, pow323, Golfcollector, OldJudge, frankbmd, kamikidEFFL, jcc6252, sam majors, t206fix, brian29575, bbsports, jfkheat
Old 07-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I wouldn't avoid buying or selling to you. I just think your comment is misplaced. She is 98 yrs old. What kind of arm should she have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baztacula View Post
People will probably avoid buying from me now that I've made my feelings known concerning the awful arm of Babe Ruth's daughter. It's not my fault that she couldn't hit the broad side of a fluorescent barn, yet people would make me suffer for her shortcomings. What a world.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:42 AM
D@vi d B@zi ni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
She is 98 yrs old. What kind of arm should she have?
A better one. She has Hall of Fame blood running through her veins, for goodness sake.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Joe

Quote:
A better one. She has Hall of Fame blood running through her veins, for goodness sake.
I can't tell whether you are just trying to be funny, or if you really believe what you are saying ...hoping the former.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:12 AM

Maybe she should train with the Mandelbaums. Just don't pick up a TV if it's bolted to the dresser.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:23 AM
An$on

Quote:
I think your humor is being lost on everyone, friend :/
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (96/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95/96 (26/55)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 A&G (84/100)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1939-41 Play Ball (381/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565, Dozens of smaller uncategorized sets

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com
Old 07-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The problem is it wasn't humor to start with and now it's deflection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozumeleno View Post
I think your humor is being lost on everyone, friend :/
Old 07-13-2015, 11:28 AM
An$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The problem is it wasn't humor to start with and now it's deflection.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what he's saying here but I didn't take what he said to be serious in the slightest. I can't imagine he was being serious.
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (96/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95/96 (26/55)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 A&G (84/100)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1939-41 Play Ball (381/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565, Dozens of smaller uncategorized sets

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com
Old 07-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Luke Lyon

changed my mind

Last edited by Luke; 07-13-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Chris Counts

There are definitely sellers I won't buy from, mostly those who treat others poorly. I also avoid sellers who bump their BST threads too often ...
Old 07-15-2015, 11:01 AM

Definitely. This is a big factor to me. I agree with others that on N54 I don't do business with sellers whose other posts aggravate me.

In terms of ebay, etc. I have a similar approach. One example: I had bought some cards over the years from a prominent ebay dealer. In 2011 I saw his tables at the National. I went over and bought a couple pre-war graded cards from him...maybe a bit overpriced, but cards I needed for things I was working on. I went back later in the day and asked him to pull about 10 more pre-war graded cards. We started to discuss price and I told him the VCP I had looked up. After about a minute he dramatically scooped up all the cards that were in front of me, turned his back on me and walked away...in the middle of the conversation. Just left me standing there. I can assure you that I was not "lowballing" him at all...not my style. Another collector/shopper beside me just looked at me uncomfortably and shrugged his shoulders, not knowing what to make of it. In the last 4 years I have refused to spend one penny with this guy - and I have stuck to that. I don't care what cards he has...not one penny from me ever again. As a pissed-off customer I can only vote with my wallet - and I do.

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 07-15-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:48 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

No, but there are a few who I avoid due to their poor grammar
Old 07-16-2015, 08:31 PM
Barry Jock

Yes, there are those who I will not do business with.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:16 PM
Val Kehl

Yes - at the top of the list, way above the others, is Mr. Mint.
Val Kehl
Old 07-17-2015, 07:04 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Brown Paper Bags

I won't do business with people based on looks. If someone has a card I want but appears unkempt or dressed for a backyard BBQ, is out of shape, or looks like a bad yearbook photo from the 70's or 80's I move on.

My monster # is 4.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:45 AM
Mark

I'm going off on a highjack of this thread, but one thing I've noticed more and more of at show tables is dealers who have hot young women working the table with them. Most of the time they know nothing about baseball cards and are clearly there for window dressing.

This really bugs me when I ask them a question about a card or a price and they have to go ask the actual dealer himself.

Mind you, I don't mind having women at card shows, but if they are working your table they should have some knowledge of the hobby.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:56 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I'm going off on a highjack of this thread, but one thing I've noticed more and more of at show tables is dealers who have hot young women working the table with them. Most of the time they know nothing about baseball cards and are clearly there for window dressing.

This really bugs me when I ask them a question about a card or a price and they have to go ask the actual dealer himself.

Mind you, I don't mind having women at card shows, but if they are working your table they should have some knowledge of the hobby.
It is a proven fact that hot young women or having little kids behind a sales counter will outsell ones with anybody else. I learned that in marketing class.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:17 AM
Peter F

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
Was curious how many out there, if any, wont buy from someone on here,ebay, and/or at a show simply because their attitude sucks.
I have a couple myself. I've been to a show where just simply asking how much a card is (because the dealer didnt bother putting a price on it) is meant with disgust or just a general crappy attitude.
I've passed on a few deals on before simply because of previous dealings where emails go unanswered, they are not helpful in the least, or you get short condescending responses.
I'm of the opinion I'd rather spend my money with helpful, courteous people.
Absolutely. Good topic.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:22 AM

I always find it helps to bring my beautiful fiancé with me to shows. Dealers will usually spend more time talking to her than me and when I ask for a price, it's usually lower than what's on the card.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:31 AM
T0dd M@rcum

there are a couple of folks I generally avoid. During the heyday, I would always avoid anyone who had a dice game. Unless you're old you probably don't remember those.

There are four of five type dealers and once you have done this a little you know which one you are talking to immediately.

1) The guys I can do business with. A professional who treats you decently and prices things fairly but doesn't give stuff away. William Chappel and Rand Bailey are this type of folk. They will be 80% of my money most shows.

2) the unpriced pile-er…there are two sup-varieities of this type dealer…the guy who will shoot from the hip on a price and the buy who has to look every card up or get a price when his partner comes back. I work with guy one, usually walk away from guy two.

3) The museum curators who sets up at shows but have no intention or need of selling anything at less than top dollar. There are mostly older retirees who are just doing card shows to have something to keep them busy. Pass.

4) The buy guy and the auction house…they aren't there to sell, just to make connections and buy. No need to spend a lot of time with them.

5) The visitor…he's too busy opening packs or talking to his buddy to help you. There is also the lazy guy and the asshole who are close cousins to the visitor.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:43 AM
Al Richter

Default Dealers

I am not a dealer and hardly ever sell a card, but have often thought while at shows that if I was ever to set up a table I would likely commit homicide before the show was over. I bet dealers could tell some great stories about people who visit their tables
Old 07-17-2015, 10:07 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I am not a dealer and hardly ever sell a card, but have often thought while at shows that if I was ever to set up a table I would likely commit homicide before the show was over. I bet dealers could tell some great stories about people who visit their tables
+1. I heard many a things that my young ears shouldn't have behind a table at shows.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:17 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

at the right price I don't see how anyone wouldn't buy from anyone.

basically if you hated a guy and he wanted to hand you $200 with no string attached..don't you still take it? $15 dollars maybe not..but there is a price you will end up taking it..forget principals..
Old 07-17-2015, 10:26 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
I won't do business with people based on looks. If someone has a card I want but appears unkempt or dressed for a backyard BBQ, is out of shape, or looks like a bad yearbook photo from the 70's or 80's I move on.

My monster # is 4.
LOVE your sense of humor!

After some thought . . .

Local to me, there used to be a dealer who fit all of those descriptors. He also ran a monthly card show.

Being friendly with several of the dealers, I found out that some of them had given him the moniker "Smelly Joe"

When asked if they were kidding, one even showed me his contacts on his cell phone, and there he was, entered as . . . "Smelly Joe"!

Last edited by timzcardz; 07-17-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
at the right price I don't see how anyone wouldn't buy from anyone.

basically if you hated a guy and he wanted to hand you $200 with no string attached..don't you still take it? $15 dollars maybe not..but there is a price you will end up taking it..forget principals..

I think for the most part you are right. I have dealt with someone on this board a few years on and off and he was very rude to me the first time we struck a deal. I wanted the card, so I bit my tongue and ever since we have made a handful of deals and he's still not very friendly. In the end, his prices and cardboard trumped what I actually wanted to do
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 07-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Yes - at the top of the list, way above the others, is Mr. Mint.
Val Kehl
+1