NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2017, 11:35 AM

Default Checklist of 1869-70 Cincinnati Red Stockings images

As I have gotten older, my collecting interests have gotten older also. While doing recent research I realized I had prepared a preliminary checklist of images of the 1869-70 Red Stockings, that might be of interest.
There are several contemporary images, evidencing their importance and popularity. (Some are even affordable). I fully expect there will be additions, and corrections, and I look forward to that. I will attempt to post images of mentioned items, but I have not mastered that yet so they may be in several posts. Sorry.
1. Probably the most famous is a team photo in uniform by Huff of Newark NJ. No doubt taken between June 16 and 18, probably the 18th before their game with Irvington, which is very close to Newark. This photo served many purposes:
a. Woodcut in Harper's July 3, 1869. I list this first since it was the original,purpose of the photo according to Rhodes and Eradi in their excellent First Boys of Summer.
b. Woodcut of the heads from this photo used as a full page illustration in the July 17, 1869 Leslie's.
c. Peck and Snyder trade cards of various sizes and backing, (there is a separate thread with analysis of this )
d. I have also seen a circular composite that appears to be made up of the heads from this also.
2. Large cabinet team photo by Brady taken in Washington DC on June 25, 1869, according to Ellard. See it reproduced on page 167in Ellard, Base Ball in Cincinnati.
3. A cabinet composite photo of players in suits by Hoag of Cincinnati, probably on July 1,1869 when the team was in Cincinnati for a banquet and presentation of a giant bat. See Ellard p. 173. This was used again,
a. With head shots reversed as woodcuts on the 1869 sheet music
b. And for the October 2,1869 New York Clipper woodcut.
4. A woodcut of the presentation of the giant bat in Harper's, July 24,1869. No photo has ever surfaced.
5. I have seen in catalogues and am aware some board members have a cdv composite by D R Towne of Rockford Ill. Of the players in suits surrounding Harry Wright in uniform seated on a chair. I do not know when this was taken, but likely
dates are around July2, 4 or 5,11 or October 15, 1870 when they played Forest City of Rockfrord Ill. Although there were 1869 games, these were very close to to the Hoag photo, and I believe there are 1870 cdv's by Towne of the Forest City team. I thought it was also possible that the suit photos are Hoag photos again repurposed and reversed, but I have been told by someone with the Towne cdv that this is not the case. In any case, the image of Harry Wright in uniform in the center is only the second individual photo I have seen of Harry in uniform, only the third of any player. I believe there will be a Sabr pictorial committee newsletter with the other 2 photos, soon.
6. There is a photo of the Cincinnati and Forest City (Cleveland) teams before a May, 31, 1870 game, but I do not know the details.
7. Finally, there is another Harper's woodcut of the Red Stockings batting against the Atlantics which appeared on July2, 1870.

At least two other images are now known to have been incorrectly identified as the 1869 team -- one entitled "opening day", showing players walking on a field and two, a woodcut from Days Doings from July, 1869 which was described as the first image of the 1869 team in action. However, the same illustration appeared in Leslie's on November 3, 1866 illustrating a different game.

I would love to hear of other images, comments and corrections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.3 KB, 340 views)