NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-28-2018, 07:14 AM
Scott Russell

Anyone else thinking "odds are it's a member, and now we've warned him?"
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-29-2018, 12:47 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

So these are on eBay right now...feels like there should be a moratorium on selling these until dust settles. Just my $.02.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:51 PM
Richard Simon

A very good hobby friend has said this to me via an email:

"Rich, there was a lot more than one forger and has been going on for a long time, they have been doing tons of Goudey cards too. Ever since signed cards got hot they switched gears from single-signed balls to cards because they were easier and cheaper, I used to get at least a few emails a week for opinions on signed cards and I always said the same. Rarely did collectors get them signed and too easy for forgers to make a quick buck by turning a beat-up $5.00 card into 10k or more and they could do 20 of them and if only one passed tpa they made bank."
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-29-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

We didn't learn much from Operation Bullpen, did we? Over and over, people are going to fall for fraud because wishful thinking trumps common sense.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-29-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:09 PM
Richard Simon

A friend of mine has speculated that the forger is a member of 54. He has no evidence and said he did not have someone in mind, just a random thought. If so I would think he has a one-way ticket to a country without an extradition treaty by now . If the FBI does truly get involved this seems like it will wind up as an open and shut case, with a lengthy prison sentence at the end of that tunnel, not to mention high legal fees. I would also think asset seizure to make restitution.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-29-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:12 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
A friend of mine has speculated that the forger is a member of 54. He has no evidence and said he did not have someone in mind, just a random thought. If so I would think he has a one-way ticket to a country without an extradition treaty by now . If the FBI does truly get involved this seems like it will wind up as an open and shut case, with a lengthy prison sentence at the end of that tunnel, not to mention high legal fees.
Let us all hope he is wrong. And if not, may god have mercy on this forger’s soul because no one here will.

Last edited by Laxcat; 11-29-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:22 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
A friend of mine has speculated that the forger is a member of 54. He has no evidence and said he did not have someone in mind, just a random thought. If so I would think he has a one-way ticket to a country without an extradition treaty by now . If the FBI does truly get involved this seems like it will wind up as an open and shut case, with a lengthy prison sentence at the end of that tunnel, not to mention high legal fees. I would also think asset seizure to make restitution.
Pie in the sky thoughts. I have said this at least a half dozen times, it’s not law enforcement who charges cases, it’s district attorneys and US attorneys. If these attorneys could care less about negotiating light sentances for violent crime do you really think they’re going to care about a baseball card autograph forgery case. For everyone who continues to make these comments, please wake up and smell the coffee.

Last edited by Duluth Eskimo; 11-29-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
We didn't learn much from Operation Bullpen, did we? Over and over, people are going to fall for fraud because wishful thinking trumps common sense.
That is why pyramid schemes have been so successful.
Some pyramid schemes have reaped billions for the founders.
--
Old 11-29-2018, 01:53 PM
Chris Counts

"... they have been doing tons of Goudey cards too ..."

A ton of signed Goudeys were recently auctioned off by REA, and it's amazing how many sold for between $5,000 and $10,000 each. Not just stars, but average players with tough autographs. I'll bet some of those buyers are nervously watching this thread.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:57 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The culprits need to be outed. When they are outed and we know who they are they will lose their ability to deal with us and anyone else who finds the post. If it saves even one collector from being cheated it is worthwhile.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-30-2018, 10:12 PM
Mike Biggans

I will be curious as to when we see the first cards that are not T206 hit the post with confirmed before and after. There is no way the scope of this is as limited as T206’s.

Something tells me this is going to just explode in the next several days.

Not that it hasn’t in the last several!

Thanks to everyone involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2018, 11:50 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

So the other thing that crossed my mind is what is going to be done with these known fraudulent signed T206s. I look at those and they are worthless and think I’d want the card shredded to get it out of the hobby once and for all. I also realize I didn’t drop thousands of dollars on these cards so that’s a lot easier for me to say than for someone who did to do. Thoughts? I still think these cards should be destroyed fwiw.

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
So the other thing that crossed my mind is what is going to be done with these known fraudulent signed T206s. I look at those and they are worthless and think I’d want the card shredded to get it out of the hobby once and for all. I also realize I didn’t drop thousands of dollars on these cards so that’s a lot easier for me to say than for someone who did to do. Thoughts? I still think these cards should be destroyed fwiw.

I would think for now they have to be retained as possible evidence.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:39 PM
Mike Biggans

I think one of the biggest revelations I have had from this whole nasty, grimey situation is how little effort the TPG’s and TPA’s put into documenting the items that pass through their hands.

I am a collector at heart. As a collector at heart, I am, also, and accumulator. And as such, if I were running a multimillion dollar TPG/TPA I would certainly have accumulated a database of every single item that has passed through the hands of my people.

Every item would have been scanned front and back and been assigned a number to which every item could be referenced at any given time.

Could you imagine if in the last 20 years of grading the database that would have been accumulated? It would be so easy for fraud and forgeries to be ferreted out. Trimmings, alterations, etc would pop like color on a black canvas.

It seems to me such a wasted opportunity for those in control of TPG/TPA’s to have documented their entire history of submissions.

I can’t imagine how much easier it would be for law enforcement to know who and what was submitted at any given time.

And talk about provenance? Their information would be worth millions alone!

Crossovers would be able to be tracked and pop reports across the board would be so much more accurate.

As it stands now, if one wanted to dump the market on a certain grade card all they have to do is keep cracking the same cards and resubmitting them to artificially inflate the population, thus, essentially, destroying a market for any individual card.

It would have taken seconds per transaction to have scanned and documented every submission, now it’s just been a wast of nearly 20 years worth of data.

Oh the hobby...always so slow to embrace technology.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:13 PM

Agree this is very sad to see fraud at such a scale.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2018, 09:18 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default T206 scandal

To answer a specific question that came up...the same buyer on e bay that has been pointed out by Pat R. to be the buyer of the Cicotte and the buyer that purchased the Baker I sold, changed his ID, early March 2015, I saw this change in the e bay history back screens. E bay does keep the accounts together but the letter*****letter coded sequence will be different but the feedback is the same..funny, his feedback just went up one which means there is still feedback being left although there are no longer current listings.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:55 PM
P@trick R.omolo

The Marquard is actually a different ebay ID. I think the rest are all the
same buyer but I will have to go back and get the sales. I think it actually
might be unrelated to the rest of them.

These are the pre signed sales from the same buyer that I have at this time.

Baker Sale.jpg
Cicotte Sale.jpg
Flick Sale.jpg
Livingstone Sale.jpg
Parent Sale.jpg
Sullivan Sale.jpg
Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
The Marquard is actually a different ebay ID. I think the rest are all the
same buyer but I will have to go back and get the sales. I think it actually
might be unrelated to the rest of them.

These are the pre signed sales from the same buyer that I have at this time.

Attachment 336187
Attachment 336188
Attachment 336189
Attachment 336190
Attachment 336191
Attachment 336192
Sorry if this has been asked already, but is there anyway to tell if this buyer purchased different cards other than T206's?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:30 AM
Jay D Wi.ley

Where there is smoke there is fire. If it is this easy to get forged t206 autographs by all the supposed expert authenticators out there, it is likely going on with not just pre-war cards but also all cards and probably all memorabilia. Seems to be alot of hall of fame signed rookie cards being sold over the last few years, such as Mantles, Aarons, etc. They were never that popular but somehow they have become quite prevalent. Also, as alluded to earlier, seems like a lot more signed goudeys have been popping up. The whole "signed" card popularity seemed to have taken off a few years ago and it probably coincides with this perhaps "group" of forgers (perhaps it is one forger but wouldn't surprise me if multiple people are involved). They may even have been the driving force behind trying to pique interest in this niche area and grow its popularity. I just never recall seeing so many signed cards in the big auctions before nor were they very popular.

We are all collectors and this is never good to see. As purely a card collector, I never really got into autograph collecting and as a card purist always preferred cards without markings or autos, but I can see the allure to the autograph enthusiasts of signed classic hobby cards.

Seems like fake autographs have a long sordid history in this hobby.

But it is definitely reassuring that there are so many smart and amazing collectors out there and on these message boards that are able to "police" the hobby and expose these frauds.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:03 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Sorry if this has been asked already, but is there anyway to tell if this buyer purchased different cards other than T206's?
I haven't found where he has purchased any other pre-war cards
besides T206's.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:49 PM
Mike Biggans

Here...we...go!

#HereComeTheGoudeys

Old 12-05-2018, 06:23 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

The person in Lewiston, Ill is Roger Till. He has been on ebay and amazon forever.
He has truckloads of bad stuff. On ebay he is vintagecollections1. He has also been olebbstuff.
A few years ago i bought some signed Sport Magazines off him. They were close, but not good under closer inspection. He refunded my money. Around the same time, another member here, Mike R, bought several signed mags from him including Maris, off Amazon. They were rejected when he asked Richard Simon to check them out. He was able to get his money back as well.

If you see someone selling autographs out of Lewiston, Ill, run very far very fast.

I am not saying he is the person behind the t206s, but there are multiple threads about him in Sportscollectors.net being a bad seller..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 12-05-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:29 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
The person in Lewiston, Ill is Roger Till. He has been on ebay and amazon forever.
He has truckloads of bad stuff. On ebay he is vintagecollections1. He has also been olebbstuff.

Is that olebbstuff (13225) possibly f****f the guy is a known forger. Doubtful he'd be able to get his sub through a TPG, and probably has someone doing it for him.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 12-05-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:29 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Is that olebbstuff possibly f****f , the guy is a known forger. Doubtful he'd be able to get his sub through a TPG, and probably has someone doing it for him.
No idea if he is f**f or not.
I bought magazines from him under a third ebay name that i dont recall, but i know olebbstuff and vintagecollections1 are the same people.

Last edited by Lordstan; 12-05-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:39 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

There is still the n****e buyer as well

Old 12-05-2018, 06:42 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
There is still the n****e buyer as well
This seller (real name) is known and the one I believe authorities are looking into.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:54 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default T206 scandal

as Chris just stated, the seller of my T206 baker is known by the investigative authorities and they do not want this publicly stated as the investigation is on going and CURRENT. as far as e bay fraud dept, they are useless. There may be a network of these sellers so we have to hope they can get to the bottom of this quickly.

There probably are many "better" but far from perfect forgeries out there graded & not graded by TPG's...DO YOUR OWN COMPARISONS and research...I used to write to the HOF and send yellow plaques to the players, so many of them signed so it is pretty obvious that a Rube Marquard plaque signature that I got back from him looks different that those crappy T206's that passed, same with Bill Terry 1933 Goudey. As an educated forum, any collector should really study & LEARN THE SIGNATURES if you collect autographs. There are plenty good ones out there thru google search, if your gut tells you something does not look right, it probably isnt...but this investigation does show one thing TPG services are OPINIONS, hopefully they get more right than wrong but its up to a buyer to educate yourselves as to what you buy. "a leap of faith sometimes can get you banged up"

Last edited by painthistorian; 12-05-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:14 AM
Albert Bee

Default forge

that's an incredibly good and true point regarding testing age of pen ink...can NOT be done by somebody sitting and looking at a card for 2 minutes
Old 12-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Is that olebbstuff (13225) possibly f****f the guy is a known forger. Doubtful he'd be able to get his sub through a TPG, and probably has someone doing it for him.
If they randomly use two characters from the username to form the scrambled name, then "f***f" would fit since it has 2 f's. That format works, since I typically show as "t***2" in the scrambled format (my eBay name is same as my name here, with a t and a 2 in the name.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:29 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
A few years ago i bought some signed Sport Magazines off him. They were close, but not good under closer inspection. He refunded my money. Around the same time, another member here, Mike R, bought several signed mags from him including Maris, off Amazon. They were rejected when he asked Richard Simon to check them out. He was able to get his money back as well.

If you see someone selling autographs out of Lewiston, Ill, run very far very fast.

I am not saying he is the person behind the t206s, but there are multiple threads about him in Sportscollectors.net being a bad seller..

Quote:
F****F had more than 10k feedback and bought that original card from teri781. olebbstuff ( 13226) has several feedbacks from teri787.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:36 AM
Shawn England

Default Booth Photos

Not sure if this helps, but Carlton has several photos from his booth in 2013??

http://www.sportsantiques.com/2013natstory6.htm
Old 12-06-2018, 10:18 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
F****F had more than 10k feedback and bought that original card from teri781. olebbstuff ( 13226) has several feedbacks from teri787.
Thinking about this more and we don't know absolutely that olebbstuff is the Marquard scammer, but the fact that olebbstuff is already associated with a forger and he has been allowed to continue is very worrisome. Then to top it off that it there is a high likely hood that he is associated with the signed t206 that started all of this is just horrible.

I am in disbelief of our entire legal system when known scammers are allowed to continue to operate (including Coach's Corner). It isn't like there isn't enough proof to build a case.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Don't be surprised; the rule in law enforcement seems to mirror the rule in local news: if it bleeds it leads. Of all the times I've tried to get prosecutors interested in blatant fraud or other white collar thievery I've only gotten one case off the ground. They prioritize violent crimes. White collar stuff, which often requires larger resources and substantial expertise to prove and often involves defendants with the resources to fight, is not as attractive to lower level prosecutors looking to feather their beds with high conviction rates and move up to elective office or a judgeship.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-06-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:

He goes way, way back.
Doing the same thing for many years.
--
Old 12-05-2018, 08:51 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
He goes way, way back.
Doing the same thing for many years.
On another forum, someone stated he still sets up at the National. How can we hope to stem the tide of this stuff if someone who has been doing this as long as him can still set up at nationals?

Old 12-05-2018, 09:50 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
On another forum, someone stated he still sets up at the National. How can we hope to stem the tide of this stuff if someone who has been doing this as long as him can still set up at nationals?
In the past, when I was doing shows, he had been removed.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 12-05-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:27 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
?Roger Till" -- In the past, when I was doing shows, he had been removed.
I ran into him at the Chicago show in May or June. Didn't know who he was until he introduced himself while I was standing at HIS table. I knew who he was from years back as I am from central Illinois. I pretty much ended the conversation at that point and didn't tell him who I was. He did say he sets up at the National and also gave me a flyer for a show he puts on at the Mall in Peoria, IL. Yes, he for sure is still in business. There were rumors floating around that Till had some type of machine that could forge signatures that were nearly impossible to detect. Again, those were only rumors and not sure if such a thing even exists.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:17 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default National

Quote:
The people who run the national don't care. 3-4 years ago I had an issue with one of the sellers at the national. I contacted the people who run the national, by email, about the crooked seller, but I never received a response.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:59 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:

Gee Mark, thanks for reminding me...LOL. Yeah, I'll plead guilty to getting a little caught up in trying to fill a hole in my collection. I bought 3 magazines from that guy. The photos on the site were a bit small and I had to magnify them to get an idea if I should buy them or not. As Mark said, they were close enough that it was worth buying them and sending them off...but they were not good. Cost me the authentication cost and shipping, but I got my original money back from the seller...and received a refresher course in something I already knew, which is don't let your excitement for finding something cloud your judgement. Now, if the seller is from Lewiston, I don't even bother looking.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:08 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Sorry Mike for bringing up bad memories.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Sorry Mike for bringing up bad memories.
...but not sorry enough to sell me your Stengel or Alston Sport magazines, right? LOL
Old 12-05-2018, 09:19 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default T206 scandal

Here is how you "stem the tide" DONT BUY FROM HIM, EDUCATE YOURSELF & AS MANY COLLECTORS YOU CAN, and especially at a show in person...report him to the organizers as long as you have exemplar proof, squeaky wheels get heard. DO RESEARCH, get educated!!!!!

Last edited by painthistorian; 12-05-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:04 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
...but not sorry enough to sell me your Stengel or Alston Sport magazines, right? LOL
nope.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:48 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:

Has also used ebay ID "Prettything18"
Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 AM
J0hn Collin$

Wow, so since I last looked at this thread yesterday we've apparently added forged Goudey's to the list. I must admit as much as this sucks it does make for some incredibly interesting reading...
Old 12-05-2018, 06:26 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Ha. Just as i finished typing, i went to eBay and surprise surprise, the seller of the Ferrell was vintagecollections1.

He is obviously reading this thread.

Last edited by Lordstan; 12-05-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:14 PM
Dave

Quote:
Ha. Just as i finished typing, i went to eBay and surprise surprise, the seller of the Ferrell was vintagecollections1.

He is obviously reading this thread.

Lots of sketchy Ohio type stuff in his listings.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:15 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default T206 scandal

I guess many are good forgeries but side by side, look at Rube Marquard vs. t206 Marquard that actually wraps at a right angle, that one was NOT GOOD even by my untrained eye.

My whole purpose is that everyone that spends real money on autographs should do their own research prior to purchasing such an expensive item, most baseball HOFers have exemplars on items that are available for comparison with a computer...

as for TPG services, we do need referees/experts etc but its time they take some responsibility, example: The Rocky Marciano signed docmentation/letters, many with a particular TPG certification, well those letters are on a stationery of a "magazine" that has no history of existence anywhere that I can locate and I have been in hobby since 1975. Where are those now?, they are still out there and were not bought back even after there was a large discussion about these!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:25 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Agreed that firat Marquard did not sit right with me. The sgc and psa slabbed ones look much better. I'm still an amateur at dicerning, but getting better

Old 12-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

I haven't been on the forums much lately, but Paul mentioned it to me. Haven't read this thread yet.

I've spent well over six figures on signed cards lately (T206's, Goudeys) and I'm just incredibly f'ing sad. I know I have fakes, I'm scared to find out which ones.

It comes with the territory.

I honestly feel bad for the forger(s). To have to do this is just...I can't think of the right words

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 12-06-2018 at 03:46 PM.