NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Default Whats A Guy To Do?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

You need to raise cash. You want to sell your $x000.00 baseball card collection. You can't wait, nor do you want to deal with an auction house. Your eBay feedback ain't high + you mostly bought anyway.

If this was me I'd seek out an individual dealer who would accept the cards for commissioned sale.

Such a consignment provides motivation (commission) for the dealer to maximize money generation.

What do you think + who to trust?

Old 06-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

I am sure someone on the board will step up to the plate on this one, or will be able to suggest an person who can help. Best of luck to you Gil.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jamie

gilbert,
id be happy to help you out- id only ask that you cover the ebay and paypal costs. you can check out my rating here:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=kilburnhighroad&iid=7747223685

Old 06-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Gentlemen: I have no intention of selling my cards, actually, I am moving in the opposite direction.

What precipitated this inquiry was a poster in the b/s/t who nominally fit the description, and is in the process of selling his cards on eBay as a single lot.

But I certainly appreciate your positive wishes and offer of help!

Old 06-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Gil,

I could recommend highly these two ebay sellers, both of whom I've had bookmarked for years and whose stuff I always think is interesting.
I'm fairly positive both work on commission to list other people's collections.

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=sandiegowill

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=scgaynor

Daniel

Old 06-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Interesting question...I think it depends on what product you have to sell who the best selling option would be...

If you have a reputation in the community, I think both REA and Mastro will give you money up front.

For me the following would be logical...

If you are selling PCL stuff, Mark Macrae might be best.
If you are selling Caramel Cards, Pete C. would be your choice.
19th Century stuff, I would go with Trevor Hocking.
Odd and strange stuff, Hal or our dictator.
Assortment of stuff would be Scott Brockleman, Scott Gaynor, or Will Hays.
Post War stuff I might let Kit Young or Kevin Savage take my stuff and sell it.

All these dealers I trust and have done business with before.

And no...I am not selling off my collection!!

Joshua

Old 06-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Taking a little closer look at this seller, who I understood to be selling his lifetime collection for a downpayment on a house, from his b/s/t post as Mantle Collector - I notice that he sold a different lifetime collection last month. Therefore, we have a scam alert in the b/s/t, in my estimation.

None of the preceeding invalidates the information generated by this thread, other than a closer look at this seller may be warranted prior to bidding on his auction, which is closing soon.

Sorry if I initially generated misinformation by believing his story. And of course, I haven't fully researched this, because I have no interest in his stuff anyway.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ralph

Thats interesting, with the hobby today,how could anyone not occasionally entertain ideas about selling. As much as we all enjoy the hobby and many of us detest - profit/moneymaking/high prices/dirty dealer/etc.., we all have to think about that day that we "cash in our chips".
If and when it happens to me...Id like to think I could ship my stuff to a long time SCD type dealer...and he would offer a fair price with no haggling and it would be over quickly.
What would probably happen in truth would be..the dealer comes back with " how much are you looking for on this stuff"and " Wow,that Gehrig is all scraped up in the back"and "Im not sure I can use this low grade 53T set ". So I would end up shipping those 3 boxes all over the country looking for a fair price.
Probably better off giving the stuff to the kids !

Old 06-27-2006, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Well, if you seek an immediate direct sale to a dealer, you probably will encounter the dealer shedding as much risk as he feels reasonable. However, if you consign the cards, you will get most of their value in exchange for encountering very little of the inconvenience.

Clearly, the dealers cited in this thread represent those who are about at the top of this profession. As such, most have a following sufficiently strong to be able to sell many of your cards without even listing them for competitive bid. Associated with the sale of your collection, other than the money which is generated, is the degree of coddling which you require.

By this I mean that you may be parting with cards which you have come to have an interest in which goes beyond their sale price. Some collectors (I can not imagine why) seem to become attached to their collections. If this is the case, selecting a dealer with an appreciation for this, and a corresponding good bedside manner may be preferred over the best dealer for price generation and speed of sale.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I'd go with what E Daniel said. I think you'd get more money cosigning with someone good then selling to a big dealer. As Gil noted, with a consignment it's in the auctioneer's best interest to get as high a price as possible.