NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default New Blog Post. BOND BREAD JACKIE ROBINSON!!!!

Just posted a new blog to my site regarding the Jackie Robinson BOND BREAD PORTRAIT.

Pretty informative for the investor-collector.

Would love to know your thoughts. Thanks

http://toptiercollectibles.com/2018/...hen-sell-high/
Old 01-02-2018, 03:44 PM
Chris Counts

You asked for thoughts, so here is mine: When I clicked on your blog, I was anticipating learning more about Bond Bread cards, but all I found was a sales pitch encouraging me to invest in them.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Bob Hamlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
You asked for thoughts, so here is mine: When I clicked on your blog, I was anticipating learning more about Bond Bread cards, but all I found was a sales pitch encouraging me to invest in them.
Absolutely Agree
Old 01-02-2018, 04:15 PM

Default Wow

Agree with the two above.

Last edited by bigfish; 01-02-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

In fairness the article is called buy low then sell high.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:03 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

In my opinion I don't view any baseball card as... "a safe investment". If considered investments I'd have to say they are speculative with some being more or less speculative than others.

As to undervalued cards I don't see your choice as being a great one, the issue is not a very popular one, the image is in black and white, the size is non-standard, etc.

Personally, I think the T206 Johnson portrait is the next to move higher in price and I have been buying a few here and there for speculative purposes.

Again just my opinion.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:23 PM
Richard L.

"The only thing keeping this card from blowing up is knowledge.*The majority of novice collector’s do not even know that this card exists.* Once it becomes more mainstream people are going to want it"

Thanks to this article, I now have the knowledge! Got my eye on the PSA 3 ending in 3 days. With a rock bottom starting price of 2900 I hope to steal it!

Back around 2010 Legendary sold them individually. They were graded in the mid range. Most sold in the 6/7K area. Anyone else remember?
Old 01-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Chris Counts

Since we're talking about 1947 Jackie Robinson Bond Bread cards, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this card that I have qualifies as one of them. There are a couple of these on eBay, but they have square corners, and my understanding is that the square cornered Bond Bread cards without borders aren't vintage ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47jrobinson.jpg (46.6 KB, 851 views)
Old 01-02-2018, 05:31 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Chris that isn't the card I was talking about, but that is authentic. It wouldn't qualify as it doesn't have any prominent advertising.

The PSA 3 guys is going for $2900 doesn't qualify as I said reasonable prices. if I. Go look at recent raw sales. Many are quite affordable. Anyone that is putting together this set I'm sure has had their eye on these cards. Would you like to chime in on what you've noticed in regards to pricing?

I personally think that eventually this bond bread card is going to get close to if not surpass the leaf.

Much like the 51 bowman mantle has taken off, the portrait has a chance to move much higher in the very near future.

Just a blog and my opinion, but I do know my Jackie.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Chris Counts

Robert made a good point about the card being black and white. I did a quick search on Google for the most valuable baseball cards, and curiously, they're all in color. Yet there are tons of really rare black and white cards out there, including many of baseball's biggest stars. The most valuable cards all seem to be "relatively common" cards with bright colors that are in fantastic condition. So a beat-up black and white card seemingly has two strikes against it. By the way, I collect all sorts of different baseball-related stuff, and there are always tremendous bargains to be found for black and white items ...
Old 01-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Fair enough and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am just one voice. I paid up for my PSA 7.5 and was still able to turn a
$1000 profit while being fair.

I don't think it's in its infancy, however I do think there is a lot more room for growth on this card than its 48 counterpart or a lot of other rookies from the same time period (Aaron and Koufax come to mind)
Old 01-02-2018, 06:20 PM
Gobucsmagic74

This card has already exploded Stephen. There really aren’t any affordable copies to be had quite frankly. Everyone is onto this card and I believe this forum has a lot to do with that. I search multiple times daily but I’m afraid the days of stumbling across a PSA 5 for $750 are long gone
Old 01-02-2018, 06:35 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
This card has already exploded Stephen. There really aren’t any affordable copies to be had quite frankly. Everyone is onto this card and I believe this forum has a lot to do with that. I search multiple times daily but I’m afraid the days of stumbling across a PSA 5 for $750 are long gone
+1, this exactly...It's like the Green Cobb, cat is already out of the bag.....
Old 01-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Show me a completed sale that has exploded. I'm curious.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:54 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
Show me a completed sale that has exploded. I'm curious.
I can tell you I’ve personally been offered $3200 for the SGC 50 I bought about five months ago for $1150.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B9A9C5EE-CA36-4439-890A-19CA9DE6E87D.jpg (10.2 KB, 657 views)

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 01-02-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:04 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Hey Stephen,

I love seeing posts like this, as it brings more attention to one of the best Post War sets out there imo. That said, for those looking to learn more about the set, it might be worth linking to this auction lot, which has a nice summary of some of my research.

https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail...entoryid=27398

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 01-03-2018, 07:26 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Robert made a good point about the card being black and white. I did a quick search on Google for the most valuable baseball cards, and curiously, they're all in color. Yet there are tons of really rare black and white cards out there, including many of baseball's biggest stars. The most valuable cards all seem to be "relatively common" cards with bright colors that are in fantastic condition. So a beat-up black and white card seemingly has two strikes against it. By the way, I collect all sorts of different baseball-related stuff, and there are always tremendous bargains to be found for black and white items ...
Don't feel too sorry for these guys now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anson uniform.jpg (53.2 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg just so cy young.jpg (14.0 KB, 590 views)
File Type: jpg E107 Mathewson.jpg (78.2 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg T210 Jackson.jpg (48.7 KB, 599 views)
File Type: jpg M101-5 Ruth.jpg (71.9 KB, 595 views)
Old 01-03-2018, 11:12 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Hey Stephen,

I love seeing posts like this, as it brings more attention to one of the best Post War sets out there imo. That said, for those looking to learn more about the set, it might be worth linking to this auction lot, which has a nice summary of some of my research.

https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail...entoryid=27398
Great Idea doing it now.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:55 PM
A.J. Johnson

I like these a lot (here's mine), but there's no chance it surpasses the Leaf which was a national issue. There's more leaf to satisfy demand and it's a fantastic looking card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robinson47BondBreadSGC2.5front.jpg (78.1 KB, 532 views)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 01-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
I like these a lot (here's mine), but there's no chance it surpasses the Leaf which was a national issue. There's more leaf to satisfy demand and it's a fantastic looking card.

Beautiful card! I am not talking about popularity because as you states there are way more which makes is more accessible. I am talking about value. I could see a Apple to Apple graded card leaning in the bond breads favor soon enough.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:36 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

No way the Bond Bread will surpass the Leaf. Yes, it's his true rookie, but it's such an obscure set that collectors won't think Bond Bread when they think of a Robinson rookie. 1952 Topps is not Mantle's rookie, but it will always be his most popular. Same with Leaf vs Bond Bread.

Also I think his 1949 Bowman will pick up value since more and more are catching on to the fact that the 1948 Leaf is most likely from 1949.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:18 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
No way the Bond Bread will surpass the Leaf. Yes, it's his true rookie, but it's such an obscure set that collectors won't think Bond Bread when they think of a Robinson rookie. 1952 Topps is not Mantle's rookie, but it will always be his most popular. Same with Leaf vs Bond Bread.

Also I think his 1949 Bowman will pick up value since more and more are catching on to the fact that the 1948 Leaf is most likely from 1949.
You might want to take a look at Ty Cobb's various "obscure" (or shall we say ultra-rare?) postcard rookies, as well, of course, as the Babe's 1914 Baltimore News schedule card. The latter was extremely "obscure" in the late '80's and well into the early nineties, while the former have been going up, shall we say, quite nicely in price ($4,000 for a 1907 Dietsche Fielding pose Cobb in 2011 and $15,000 in 2015, both in PSA 5, and as I recall, an even rarer than rare 1907 Stainless Steel Tube Cobb went for $24,000 about a year ago). Demand usually comes around to rare and significant, "obscure" or otherwise. See what colonial coins and territorial gold coins have done since being "discovered" in the past 20 years or so.

In that regard, however, one might want to consider the much more elusive, so-called 1947 Bond Bread Exhibit Robinson--that is, if you can find one. Last time I looked there were about seven total graded, and I don't believe the count is going to change much. Most collectors like to have something ultra rare and desirable that others don't have. It's just the nature of the beast.

Happy collecting, in any form or manner you personally choose,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 01-03-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Candidly, it reads like a bucket shop sales pitch for a penny stock:

"Buy any raw or graded Jackie Robinson Bond Bread card available at any reasonable price. This is going to become a home run in the next 12-24 months."

I get a dozen calls a week from various people pitching me 'investments' with this sort of over the top verbiage. It reeks of huckster-like hype. If you want to develop credibility in the field on this board, which is filled with experts who've been doing this for decades, this sort of stuff isn't the way to do it.

I also agree that the card is already out of the bag. I snapped up an example a while ago when the research on the creation of the cards was reported here and demonstrated it is a real regional RC. So did many other collectors. Anyone getting into it now is hoping to ride a wave that has already spent a ton of its energy. I also have to ask what your stake is in hyping this card. My cynical mind goes right to that question whenever I see something like this: is this a pump and dump effort to hype and then move your own cards. Not saying it is, just that this kind of breathless promoting raises the question.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-03-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
You might want to take a look at Ty Cobb's various "obscure" (or shall we say ultra-rare?) postcard rookies, as well, of course, as the Babe's 1914 Baltimore News schedule card. The latter was extremely "obscure" in the late '80's and well into the early nineties, while the former have been going up, shall we say, quite nicely in price ($4,000 for a 1907 Dietsche Fielding pose Cobb in 2011 and $15,000 in 2015, both in PSA 5, and as I recall, an even rarer than rare 1907 Stainless Steel Tube Cobb went for $24,000 about a year ago). Demand usually comes around to rare and significant, "obscure" or otherwise. See what colonial coins and territorial gold coins have done since being "discovered" in the past 20 years or so.

In that regard, however, one might want to consider the much more elusive, so-called 1947 Bond Bread Exhibit Robinson--that is, if you can find one. Last time I looked there were about seven total graded, and I don't believe the count is going to change much. Most collectors like to have something ultra rare and desirable that others don't have. It's just the nature of the beast.

Larry
There are two GAI graded ones on ebay.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:10 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post

Larry
+100000000000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Candidly, it reads like a bucket shop sales pitch for a penny stock:

"Buy any raw or graded Jackie Robinson Bond Bread card available at any reasonable price. This is going to become a home run in the next 12-24 months."

I get a dozen calls a week from various people pitching me 'investments' with this sort of over the top verbiage. It reeks of huckster-like hype. If you want to develop credibility in the field on this board, which is filled with experts who've been doing this for decades, this sort of stuff isn't the way to do it.

I also agree that the card is already out of the bag. I snapped up an example a while ago when the research on the creation of the cards was reported here and demonstrated it is a real regional RC. So did many other collectors. Anyone getting into it now is hoping to ride a wave that has already spent a ton of its energy. I also have to ask what your stake is in hyping this card. My cynical mind goes right to that question whenever I see something like this: is this a pump and dump effort to hype and then move your own cards. Not saying it is, just that this kind of breathless promoting raises the question.

I can honestly say that I have 0 of these cards so this post actually hurts me by drawing attention to it, however I am confident in my opinion that there is a ton of growth still left for the Bond Bread Card.

I really meant for it to sound like Jim Cramer with the whole BOOM thing. I figure if you are gonna do a buy low column why not make it as gimmicky as possibly while still giving insight. I wanted to do one of those a month or so.

I do believe that any RETAIL price is a good price right now on this card as we could be looking back at these prices wishing we bought at them a year or 2 from now.

I love writing and researching, so the blog made perfect sense for me.

I respect EVERYONE'S opinions though and no hard feelings at all!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:41 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There are two GAI graded ones on ebay.
Peter, I don't believe those two cards are the BB Exhibit, but rather the square cornered BB cards that surfaced in the 80s? I believe.

I once owned the PSA 5... wish I never sold it.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 01-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Peter, I don't believe those two cards are the BB Exhibit, but rather the square cornered BB cards that surfaced in the 80s? I believe.

I once owned the PSA 5... wish I never sold it.
Ah. That would explain why the guy who has the GAI 8 out at 20K paid 500 for it LOL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Bond-B...IAAOSwrhhZ5c9A

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-BOND-B...8AAOSwBiVZ0Zc8

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-03-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The 'exhibits' are very tough to find, especially in really nice condition. I was pleased to pick up this one a few years ago:

Or not...
Old 01-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
The 'exhibits' are very tough to find, especially in really nice condition. I was pleased to pick up this one a few years ago:

In what way are these Bond Bread "Exhibits" differentiated from the 1947-49 Collectors and Traders - Sports Card Subjects? I've attached a link to a thread on the latter and the cards look almost identical.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243832

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 01-04-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:45 PM
Ne@l K

size

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 01-04-2018, 05:08 PM
Larry

Quote:

Very nice, Adam. I have the SGC NrMt+ Williams, which didn't come cheap.

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 01-05-2018, 07:01 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
size
Size matters, I’ve been told.

Or not...
Old 01-05-2018, 11:14 AM

fwiw i had my portrait up on ebay for a week or two recently. it is a psa 2. i had it at a bin of 2999 with a auto decline set at 1500 then 2000 quickly.

i know it isnt worth 2999 (yet) but i wanted to get a feel for the market. it was one of those 'this isnt really for sale' ebay listing.

in the week or so it was up it had over 150 views, i think 9 or 10 watchers before i closed the listing. many offers, without looking i would say close to 20 maybe more. the highest offer was 1700, a few at 1500 and many in the 1000 to 1200.

i said in the listing and in my amateur opinion compared to most of you all reading this, this is the single best upside post war card when everything is laid out much in the way the blog from the op states.

anyways just some info to share.

cheers

Last edited by rainmaker; 01-05-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:20 AM

and just to be sure as some reading this likely were watching and offering i probably would have accepted an offer at 2500. wasnt out to waste peoples time with that listing.

i quickly realized with that much heat it doesnt make sense to sell right now.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:50 PM
Aaron

The portrait PSA 7.5 just went for $10,800 (with juice) in the REA auction.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Was that the one I SOLD to you
Old 05-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Aaron

Ha! No, I’m hanging on to that one for a long, long time. It’s the cornerstone for my Jackie collection. Just added my second Bond Bread, a PSA 4 Awaiting Pitch. Love these cards and hope to add more.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

I cry everytime I think about it.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 PM

Default Bond Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
So hobbyists can simply “cherry pick” whatever cards they “choose”’ to be a Rookie card because of aesthetics/popularity? Simply stated, the Jackie “Portrait” Bond Bread card was distributed in June/July 1947 in most of the country’s major baseball cities so it is NOT a Regionsl issue. Since it pre-dates the Leaf Jackie by over a full year, it SHOULD be classified as the true Jackie Robinson Rookie card. Furthermore, there are no rules that state a true Rookie card has to be a Nationally distributed card. How many major cities does it take to be recognized as a significantly distributed issue? The bond bread card spanned New York, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Cleveland, etc. That certainly sounds convincing to me, and it just might make sense that the 1948 Leaf is eventually “bounced” as Jackie’s Rookie card in favor of his ‘47 Bond Bread issue.

Last edited by Vintageclout; 05-09-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:43 PM
A.J. Johnson

Will have to go back and reread the context but think I was referring to the value or popularity. I consider the bond bread to be his rc card
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 05-09-2018, 12:13 AM
C0le Hibb@rd

Not sure how I missed this post... love these cards. Got my portrait several years ago for just a couple hundred (PSA 1), and one sold via PWCC nearly cracked $1K pretty recently. Wish I would’ve bought a higher grade but oh well. Would be nice if the rest of this set followed that path, but I think they’re unfortunately just too rare

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 05-09-2018, 06:28 AM
James

Default Two Other Jackie RC cards -- Homogenized Bond Bread and Old Gold Cigarettes

following up on another post by vintageclout in a different thread, all cards distributed in the same rookie year are generally considered rookie cards, regardless of the month of release. given this, jackie's homogenized bond bread card (beveled corners) and old gold cigarette cards, both issued in 1947, are also rookie cards. the old gold cigarette cards are incorrectly labeled 1947 by tpg's, but some excellent work by a board member, shaun fyffe, proved they are a 1947 issue. some speculate that the homogenized bond bread card was released before the bond bread portrait, but this will likely remain unknown. it doesn't matter at the end of the day because they are both rookie cards given the definition above.

i agree with vintageclout that the leaf and bowman jackie cards, issued after the beginning of 1948, are not his rookie cards and it is just a matter of time before this becomes generally accepted and reflected in card values.

Last edited by griffon512; 05-09-2018 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Agree with the analysis, James, except that last bit. Popularity of a later card can outpace a RC. The 1951 Bowman Mantle will never top the 1952 Topps Mantle. The W600 Wagner won't touch the T206. And so on.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-09-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Guy Bourque

I have both , I don't really care about which one is his rookie card , I would take his leaf card any day over his Bonds Bread , His leaf has and will always be an iconic Baseball Card , and one that I always wanted since I started collecting many years ago.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:32 AM
James

Quote:
Agree with the analysis, James, except that last bit. Popularity of a later card can outpace a RC. The 1951 Bowman Mantle will never top the 1952 Topps Mantle. The W600 Wagner won't touch the T206. And so on.
adam, you are right and there are a number of exceptions to the rule. i'm speculating that over time the relative value of the bond bread portrait and homogenized bond bread card will continue to increase while that of the leaf/bowman will decline given the disparity in population, attractiveness imo of the bond bread cards, and shift in conventional wisdom to seeing these as his true rookie cards following the price increases that have already taken place. i think the old gold dugout card -- also released in '47 -- is still an excellent relative value but recognize it may have less upside as an oversized card (similar to price disparity between a '39 playball williams and his '39 goudey premium). obviously the market's opinion on the relative value of a rookie card or the designation of actually being a rookie card can change drastically over time.

best example of that over the last few years has been the '25 exhibit gehrig, which most hobbyists didn't pay much attention to a few years ago because exhibits couldn't classify as rookie cards. i think it was in 2015 that prices started to increase to high single digit thousands on low grade versions from staying in the mid-single digit thousand range for many years. that got more people talking about the card and auction prices began to gap up. call it a self-fulfilling prophecy or the tail wagging the dog, but the higher prices paid by a few hobbyists initially led to the change in conventional wisdom: that the '25 exhibit is gehrig's true rookie card and is worth a boatload of money. i don't expect the jackie rookies to have the same upside -- and one can argue that the bond bread portrait already had its inflection -- but at the very least i think they are good relative values.

Last edited by griffon512; 05-09-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I certainly thought it was a good value when I got mine.

Or not...
Old 05-09-2018, 03:43 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Might I ask what examples there are other than those two? An iconic set can make a later issue more valuable, but that’s certainly the exception and 1948 Leaf is no T206 or 52 Topps.

I expect the BB Portrait to become the top Jackie card. It’s relative scarcity and attractiveness appeal to me in addition to it being Jackie’s RC.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Gobucsmagic74

If you go back about 5 years ago the iconic 1948 (actually '49) Leaf Jackie Robinson card was readily available in mid-grade PSA 5 for anywhere between 1K to $1200, then the Jackie Robinson movie came out and that card ascended to $3500-$4k essentially over night. Same thing is happening with the 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Portrait only, instead of thousands of copies, there's closer to 125 graded between companies. The card still has room to grow and I expect it will as collectors become better informed about the set and this card in particular...which is the true RC of one of the most influential people, much less ballplayer, of all-time.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 05-09-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:27 PM
Dave_Berg

Put me in the camp which does not consider the Bond Bread card ( portrait/auto facsimile) Robinson's rookie card. To reply to a statement above- I paraphrase- "Don't I consider a distribution in 18 major cities a nationwide distribution?". Absolutely not!!. Bond Bread distributed in 18 states and it's likely the early portrait card was released in a very small regional area ( Harlem, Brooklyn...) and it was only the subsequent cards over the next 2 years that were released in " major markets" ( well....18 cities)
If my dad couldn't walk down to his father's drugstore in Emporia, KS and get the card... or at least get one in Kansas City then it's not nationwide. Could he get a 48 Leaf or Bowman- yep and he did. Thats not to single out Kansas. There were
30 other states that Bond Bread did not distribute in ( Alaska and Hawaii were not states yet). Heck did they even have a factory west of the Mississippi??
To me the Bond Bread Robinson is a glorified/ expanded Regional issue. As a regional card collector- I'd better step up and get me one sometime.
Let me be clear- I'm not suggesting the Bond Bread card won't pass by the Leaf or Bowman issues in value or popularity. I have no idea of course. From MY perspective the Robinson Rookies are those absolutely beautiful, colored 1948 ( 1949) leaf and Bowman cards.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Put me in the camp which does not consider the Bond Bread card ( portrait/auto facsimile) Robinson's rookie card. To reply to a statement above- I paraphrase- "Don't I consider a distribution in 18 major cities a nationwide distribution?". Absolutely not!!. Bond Bread distributed in 18 states and it's likely the early portrait card was released in a very small regional area ( Harlem, Brooklyn...) and it was only the subsequent cards over the next 2 years that were released in " major markets" ( well....18 cities)
If my dad couldn't walk down to his father's drugstore in Emporia, KS and get the card... or at least get one in Kansas City then it's not nationwide. Could he get a 48 Leaf or Bowman- yep and he did. Thats not to single out Kansas. There were
30 other states that Bond Bread did not distribute in ( Alaska and Hawaii were not states yet). Heck did they even have a factory west of the Mississippi??
To me the Bond Bread Robinson is a glorified/ expanded Regional issue. As a regional card collector- I'd better step up and get me one sometime.
Let me be clear- I'm not suggesting the Bond Bread card won't pass by the Leaf or Bowman issues in value or popularity. I have no idea of course. From MY perspective the Robinson Rookies are those absolutely beautiful, colored 1948 ( 1949) leaf and Bowman cards.
So you simply choose to ignore the research that debunks that myth. If memory serves me Kansas City was one of the markets it was distributed in, but either way it's been fairly well documented that BB's were distributed in, at minimum, 13 metropolitan cities across the country. Not sure how that qualifies as a regional issue, or even a glorified regional issue, but I'm not a regional collector.