NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Alan Elefson

Default 1867 National Association Newspaper Article

Hi-

I recently acquired the December 12 1867 Newspaper scanned below. On the front page there is an article titled "The Base-Ball Players National Convention" and the byline states "From Our Special Correspondent Philadelphia December 11 1867". Does anyone know who the special correspondent is? I am guessing/hoping it is Chadwick, but I know he was writing for the ball players journal at the same time so I do not know.

The most interesting part of the article is the author's following quote.

"...and thirdly, and selfishly and cowardly, it is resolved that, "No club composed of persons of color, shall be admitted into the National Association."

The author of this article was clearly not happy with the convention's vote, and I thought it was interesting how he used the words selfish and specifically cowardly. It is obvious now that both of these words are true (and many more), but I wonder how many other contemporary writers expressed similar views? Does anyone have any other articles pertaining to the convention? What is the viewpoint? I seem to remember a short article in an Oliver Optics magazine but I think it is just a summary with no opinions.

Please feel free to show anything related to the 1867 convention (or any early convention items or newspaper articles).

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img580.jpg (80.2 KB, 116 views)
Old 04-16-2017, 09:50 PM

Interesting notation just two years after the conclusion of the Civil War. For much of the northern white poulation, the black's freedom was a reasonable expectation but equality was not.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:53 PM
Alan Elefson

Great point! I was thinking along those lines. I wonder if any other writers expressed a similar viewpoint as this author. My guess is not many if any at all.

Alan
Old 04-18-2017, 07:59 PM

Default Random notes that might help research

Alan, I no longer have all my old resources, but from what I have left I have some notes that might help in your research.
Chadwick was on the Rules committee for the 1867 convention, and likely the 1868, and probably for most of them
The December 1867 convention is known as the 1868 convention, just as the 1866 convention is known as the 1867 convention since they occurred at the end of the year and the actions would apply to the following year.
Chadwick's 1868, Game of Base Ball, has the rules adopted on December 11, 1867, although your article is dated the 2d.
At around this time the Pythians of Philadelphia were trying to join the various Associations, led by Catto. This was likely the reason for consideration of the rule and the comment. Interesting the convention was in Philadelphia.
If I find anything else I will post, sorry no real answers, but maybe some new leads.
I think I read somewhere that shortly after this Chadwick proposed a rule to have a right shortstop as a 10th player.