NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Default Could be getting scammed ??

I sold two cards to someone off the BST board last week. I shipped them out to the appropriate address with delivery confirmation. Insurance was not requested by the buyer. He emailed today telling me he received an empty padded envelope in the mail and threatened me with " other action" if I didn't respond. I' have never had an envelope just show up empty, so this is anew one in my 15-20 years of selling through the USPS. I have the original receipt that shows I didn't mail just an empty envelope. This seems strange to me. Is there that much postal theft in New Jersey or points in between ? How would someone know there were 2 old cards in that envelope in order to conveniently steal them , then re-seal the envelope to make it look like it had never been opened. Any feedback would be appreciated. I was having such good experiences selling and buying on the BST , and now this Ebay-ish thing happens to me
Old 03-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Jason

Default sounds a bit fishy

if a threat comes in the very first correspondence.
an empty envelope is a first for me, thankfully.
Have him put the cards back in it, and then the envelope won't be empty anymore!

Honestly, though, good luck with the resolution. I hope it works out for both.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Paul Hawk

That just SUCKS. It's one thing to say that the package didn't arrive; it's another to say the seller shipped an empty envelope.

Hell, just the other day I contacted a seller here on the boards I bought something for because I hadn't received it yet (it was a little over two weeks).

I had the seller send it to my company as I we have had a series of mail thefts in my area over the past year.

Anyway, I contacted the seller and get the Insurance tracking number.

I contacted my mail room and they didn't have a record of it arriving.

I contacted the local post office, and viola, the item was at the post office. They had attempted to deliver the item twice, couldn't get the retards in our mail room to sign it, so held it at the post office.

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Rob Miller

Not that this is related or comforting, but I had the same issue happen on Ebay. I sold a low grade T206 Chase for like $25 with delivery confirmation but no insurance.

Buyer said envelope came empty and opened a case. Ebay ruled that no one was at fault and issued a refund.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Andy Garden

The threat of "other action" in the initial response to the problem raises some red flags in my mind. How about an explanation first and an expression of concern? Leads me to think something is not on the up and up on the buyers part. Sorry you have to deal with this one.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Paul Hawk

I'm saddened to hear that it is a member of "one of us."

Please PM me the member's name, which I will keep in confidence, so I know to steer clear away from said person.

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Jim D

the empty envelope is just another way to get their money back through paypal. Paypal will side with them and you are now out the money and the card. this is the exact reason i will never use paypal again.

It should be , if they decline insurance, they are responsible.....

sucks, what kind of man would "con" or "steal" just to get a card!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:06 PM
John Hanssen

Default just maybe

The PO charges by weight, if a small bubble mailer was shipped empty the postage would be .44 cents. If it had the 2 cards it should change the postage to at least .88 (if in top loaders) or more for slabed cards. Plus the cost of conf.

Just a though, hope it helps.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Chris Wood

Default Just went through an issue like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
The PO charges by weight, if a small bubble mailer was shipped empty the postage would be .44 cents. If it had the 2 cards it should change the postage to at least .88 (if in top loaders) or more for slabed cards. Plus the cost of conf.

Just a though, hope it helps.
Sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I also just went through a very similar issue on Ebay, and was pleasantly surprised when I was able to overturn an Ebay decision that had originally sided with the buyer. In my case, I had sent a fairly bulky hockey jersey via the post office and the buyer, a fairly new (not a lot of feedback) Ebayer claimed that the box arrived empty. This may have been the case (perhaps a postal employee took the item etc) but the buyer hadn't attempted to contact me to try and resolve the issue, nor ask if I had any insurance on the shipment etc (which I had). Once I was informed that the case was opened agaisnt me and that the issue was as it was, I contacted the buyer via Ebay messaging and he never responded.

I pointed out the lack of contact to the Ebay folks, along with the proof that the postage amounted to over $15 (more than an empty box would warrant) and they overturned their original decision and sided with me.

I was surprised, as I have had a few unrelated Ebay issues go the other way over the years, each when I was being defrauded. It didn't hurt that I have 100% positive feedback either.

My advice, state you case sooner rather than later, back it up with the info you have, try to contact the buyer through Ebay messaging and good luck.

chris
Old 03-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Chris Wood

Default sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I also just went through a very similar issue on Ebay, and was pleasantly surprised when I was able to overturn an Ebay decision that had originally sided with the buyer. In my case, I had sent a fairly bulky hockey jersey via the post office and the buyer, a fairly new (not a lot of feedback) Ebayer claimed that the box arrived empty. This may have been the case (perhaps a postal employee took the item etc) but the buyer hadn't attempted to contact me to try and resolve the issue, nor ask if I had any insurance on the shipment etc (which I had). Once I was informed that the case was opened agaisnt me and that the issue was as it was, I contacted the buyer via Ebay messaging and he never responded.

I pointed out the lack of contact to the Ebay folks, along with the proof that the postage amounted to over $15 (more than an empty box would warrant) and they overturned their original decision and sided with me.

I was surprised, as I have had a few unrelated Ebay issues go the other way over the years, each when I was being defrauded. It didn't hurt that I have 100% positive feedback either.

My advice, state you case sooner rather than later, back it up with the info you have, try to contact the buyer through Ebay messaging and good luck.

chris

sorry, should have read that your issue was with a board purchaser. Perhaps the Ebay situation will help another in this position.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Johnny S

So who done it?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Clayton

Default Strange Happenings..........

Sorry this has happened to you Dave.I'm hoping to see the other person involved respond to this thread.

Regards,Clayton
Old 03-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Dave

Nice. Looks like Paypal/Ebay has opened up another can of worms. Used to be the seller was covered with Delivery Confirmation under $200. Signature confirmation over $200.

Now, it seems all the buyer has to do is claim an opened box or package in order to get a free item.

I think the Post Office is more reliable then to have to do that. In the last 11+ years I've completed thousands of transactions, both buying and selling and have yet to ever have someone claim they received an empty package from me.........and I have never received one in return.

Now they are forcing us to pay for insurance on inexpensive packages, or risk being scammed indiscriminately.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

is it ok for me to name names here ? I don't want to violate any policies
Old 03-16-2010, 04:46 PM

Wow! What a crappy situation.

I was in a similar situation until just today. I bought a Wid Conroy from a fellow forum member for $45. He emailed me when he got the money, and said card was in the mail. That was Feb 26th!!! Around Mar 9th, I contacted him to say no card yet. He said he couldnt find the DEL CONF slip and wanted to issue me a refund and apology. I passed on his offer as I didnt even care about the cash, I was too bummed about not getting the Wid. He replied that if the card was returned to him, he'd remail it, or send me my money back. The card finally arrived today....with the postmark showing Feb 26th. By far the longest a package has ever been in the mail in my experiences!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark7781 View Post
I'm saddened to hear that it is a member of "one of us."

Please PM me the member's name, which I will keep in confidence, so I know to steer clear away from said person.
NO the person who is fraudulant should be outed so we all can know to stay away from any dealings with him/her. Name and login ID are great as most people have similar on ebay and so on. Just helps keep us from being ripped off
Old 03-16-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
NO the person who is fraudulant should be outed so we all can know to stay away from any dealings with him/her. Name and login ID are great as most people have similar on ebay and so on. Just helps keep us from being ripped off

With all due respect, there are 2 sides to every story, and we havent heard from the "other" guy. So I dont think "outing" just yet is called for publicly. However, having said that, I did just PM the thread starter to ask for his username so I can avoid him in any future dealings. Private is the way to go at this point IMO.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Jim D

i agree, keep it private if you need to know....

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Glyn Parson

Default If it where me

his name would have been in the first thread. This is b.s. if you are being honest out the "thief".
Old 03-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Glyn Parson

Default I think that would

at least get him on here to tell his side. Seems fishy he has yet to respond to this thread.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Scam

Anyone who immediately makes threats is suspect at best. I live in NJ and have not had no issues. This is a scam going around via paypal/ebay with their new screw the seller program-no recourse aka feedback, etc. Sorry to hear it, I have been buying a bunch off B/S/T here and would appreciate a PM just in case.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:52 PM

Default Would like to know

A person and I might be doing a trade here on the bst. We both would like to know that the person we might do business with here on the bst is not the offending party. How about some transparency here.
jim
Old 03-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Bob Pomilla

The other party has had time to respond and hasn't.

Until and unless the other party comes forth, or is named, a cloud hangs over all of us.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

ok since the other party hasn't responded on the forum today , but has had time to send me 2 threatening and accusatory emails I will name him and hope Leon doesn't ban me. He may be well respected or not I don't know him and have never had dealings with him until now. The buyers name is Bill Brodhead from Clifton New Jersey. the net 54 handle he used was BBSPORTS. His second email accused me of sending an empty envelope to him. He claimed he had been "scammed" like this before and "knew what to do". I keep ofering him a scan of the actual receipt that shows I shipped a small envelope weighing several ounces to his address. He claimes the envelope arrived undamaged and empty. In my 15+ years shipping items worldwide this has never happened to me. I've had items show up that were clearly tampered with , but never pristine with no merchandise inside. This stinks to high heaven if you ask me. He will most likely be filing a grievance with PAYPAL by the gist of his last email. Hilariously he now says "he doesn't even want the cards"

Last edited by T206DK; 03-16-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: inserteted net54 handle of suspect buyer
Old 03-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Jim D

IM sure if Leon has an issue with you outing him, he can just remove your post.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:31 PM

Default response to the thread

Here is a scan of the envelope that this seller shipped to me today w/ delivery confirmation. The cost was $2.53. If he really sent those 2 graded PSA 5 cards to me, don't you think the shipping w/ delivery confirmation would be more than $2.53? Now, who is scamming here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg envelope.jpg (69.9 KB, 298 views)

Last edited by Leon; 03-16-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:34 PM
JeR@Me

Default Guys...

Isn't it possible both the seller and buyer are right here. Empty paks, boxes, envelopes do happen on the loss prevention side with all shipping companies. The question I would have has Bill discussed the empty envelope with the Mail carrier or the USPS Mgr ? This sounds like a pilfrage issue. Someone in the supply chain snagged a card, by slitting envelope or it is possible it got damaged in transit, came open and card came out, and the envelope was just forwarded on... That does happen with all shipping companies. Again, I would ask Bill if the envelope has any rewrap tape on it, any unusual slits, or did Bill claim he opened it and everything is in tact, but nothing in it ? If so, then I would wonder if the padded pack has one of those resealable openings. If so, then this may be your answer to what happened. (I always use shipping tape on my padded packs when shipping, b/c most padded packs can be opened and resealed if there is nothing other than the adhesive on the pack). This screams of pilfrage by an USPS employee. No damage, no tape, etc...

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 03-16-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:34 PM
pete ullman

i hear psa 5 cards weigh the most...
Old 03-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Patrick N.

Default No

Two PSA cards First class mail w/DC should cost between $2.50-$3...

Last edited by mintacular; 03-16-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM

If you have the receipt, send it to me.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
i hear psa 5 cards weigh the most...

I spewed my drink on that one
Old 03-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Tony Quinn

How about he posts the receipt here for all to see.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Shouldn't it cost more

Wow that's about the lamest defense I've heard. Anyone who is a frequent buyer/seller hopefully understands the cost of shipping: Here is the pricing for two graded cards shipped 1st class:
Delivery confirmation: $0.19
1st Class postage approx 6 ounces: 2.52.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:50 PM

Its painfully obvious that the bubble mailer DID contain something when shipped. If the buyer claims it was INTACT, but EMPTY, he is either a liar or someone carefully opened then resealed the bubble mailer.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

My fellow board members,
allow me to say this about what is going on here. Yes it does seem strange that the envelope arrived empty. However, there some real good theives working for the post office. I say this because for 5 years i worked as an investigator. Now about the 2 members, i've dealt with both of them over the years buying and selling and both gentlemen are damned good people! From an investigative point of view, there is a solution to this issue. I'd like to talk to bill and dave on this matter in private. I'm tired of the finger pointing and the conjecture, that said, if you both would email me i'd give you my number and we can do a conference call so we can close this issue.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

Keep in mind that it cost more to get delivery conformation when you take the package to the post office. When you use paypal, it costs $.19.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

here is a picture of the receipt from the initial shipment to Bill from me. as you can clearly see.

I am not a thief nor a liar. After the package left my hands at the post office I had no control over it or it's security. Bill chose not to pay for insurance and frankly I don't pay for other peoples insurance out of my own pocket. I trust the members here and hope to gain the same trust and respect from all of you as well. The dealings I've had on BST this year and in 2007 have all been good experiences until now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg receipt.jpg (70.2 KB, 291 views)

Last edited by Leon; 03-16-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

as you can see delivery confirmation was .80 according to my Post Office
Old 03-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

I agree with chicago, that's the first thing i looked at when the scan was posted. Like i stated looks like an inside job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago206 View Post
its painfully obvious that the bubble mailer did contain something when shipped. If the buyer claims it was intact, but empty, he is either a liar or someone carefully opened then resealed the bubble mailer.

Last edited by lharri3600; 03-16-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Ron Rice

Default Postage cost

Hi Bill,
You know I've been selling some cards lately. First class postage with delivery confirmation and no insurance would be about $2.53. I looks like someone tampered with the package in route. It may have been opened and resealed. Sorry this happened to you.

Ron R
Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Something isn't adding up here!

So you got a package in the mail that was supposed to have 2 graded cards in it and it arrived "empty" (I assume it would have been obvious that two slabbed cards weren't inside) but you then opened it? or is the huge rip on the side the way it arrived? If it is the latter you really owe the original seller an apolgy--threatening someone right off the bat is lame!

$2.50 is not what it would cost to send an empty bubble mailer with DC--so at some point there was something in that bubble mailer!

I would be REALLY pissed if I was the seller and you just posted my address on the internet for all to see!

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 03-16-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:06 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

The buyer should have been able to tell that the envelope was empty before ever opening it, just by the weight (or lack of). As I buyer, if I received an empty envelope I wouldn't open it up. I would take it to the post office and open it in front of a postal inspector. But that's just me.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Agreed

Why would you not take it right to the post office? Maybe you thought PSA 5's are magically light and invisible. Sorry, I don't feel postal error here.....
Old 03-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Bob Pomilla

My thoughts exactly, re the open envelope. It was obviously empty. What did you expect to see inside? Not nice to immediately assume the seller was at fault, either.

As has been pointed out, your postage calculation was off, too.

Last edited by brickyardkennedy; 03-16-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Andy Garden

Default Doesn't add up

How could the post office charge $2.53 for an empty mailer? And then to make accusations and threats that the seller sent nothing? Then shun the sellers attempts to show proof and continually send more threats. Too many shady things going on here.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 PM

I've done lots of business with bbsports in the past....I trust him implicitly. I think that someone from the Post Office stole the cards and delivered the empty envelope. I doubt either buyer or seller are at fault here!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Patrick N.

Default A couple things...

#1. Even though the recepient could've felt an empty mailer and should've returned it to the PO, it is natural to open up a sealed package (even if ripped--maybe the seller reused an old mailer)...Maybe he thought there was a note inside saying "Sorry, here's a refund, card was sold to someone else, or some other personal note..."

#2. I do find it odd that the seller thought postage is higher, but then again maybe it's a newbie?? I don't think they would post here to defend themself if they were just out to scam people...

#3. While it is possible the package was tampered with, there are very strict laws and punishments against postal employees who steal so keep in mind that postal crimes are not all that common...
Old 03-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Jeff

Default Canadian point of view

I don't know how the U.S. Postal system works, so I'll show how damaged deliveries are dealt with in the Canadian system. I once received a bubble mailer that was ripped wide open, missing one PSA slabbed card, the other shattered. What Canada Post does is still deliver the package to it's destination, but they put the bubble mailer in a clear bag, taped shut, stating it was damaged in transit. They would never deliver a heavily damaged envelope by itself. By showing the seller the Canadian Post forms that came with my damaged delivery, it showed neither party was at fault and we agreed to split the cost. Do they bag damaged deliveries like this in the States?

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
I don't know how the U.S. Postal system works, so I'll show how damaged deliveries are dealt with in the Canadian system. I once received a bubble mailer that was ripped wide open, missing one PSA slabbed card, the other shattered. What Canada Post does is still deliver the package to it's destination, but they put the bubble mailer in a clear bag, taped shut, stating it was damaged in transit. They would never deliver a heavily damaged envelope by itself. By showing the seller the Canadian Post forms that came with my damaged delivery, it showed neither party was at fault and we agreed to split the cost. Do they bag damaged deliveries like this in the States?
That's how my post office delivers any item that is damaged or partially opened, etc.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:43 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Jeff,

I have only received one package damaged in transit and it was bagged and labeled exaclty as you described.

BTW, your cards will be shipped out tomorrow. They are all boxed up and heavily taped :-)

David