NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2015, 11:23 PM
Byron

Default Any thoughts on size bubble mailers to buy

I will start selling hundreds of cards on ebay and was wondering the size of bubble mailer I should purchase in bulk from Amazon. Would #00 and #000 be good enough?
Thank you any advice
Old 12-08-2015, 11:37 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I actually think that you only need the small 4x6 bubble mailers, which I think is the 0000 size. These mailers will fit one graded card. I usually ship these with a thin piece of cardbard (cut to the size of the slab from a small flat rate priority mail box) on each side of the slab. The helps protect the card in case the envelope is dropped. For a single PSA card with two thin pieces of this type of cardboard and the small envelope is just 3 oz when you ship via ebay shipping. For SGC and Beckett, it is 4oz for the standard size holder.

If you are shipping raw cards, I usually use 2-4 thick pieces of cardboard to sandwich the card, which is usually in a toploader or cardsaver. This is to make sure that the card does not bend during shipping. Again, this should be 3oz.

The 00 or 5x7 size bubble mailer is good when you ship multiple cards at the same time. For example, if the buyer won 2-3 cards, then you can use that type of mailer.

I also tend to heavily re-use bubble mailers that I receive from when I buy things whether they are from ebay or Amazon. It's just a way to save money anywhere you can.

Also, I usually buy my bubble mailers in bulk from ebay although you can compare prices. I usually try to do this when they are having an ebay bucks promotion.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:10 AM
Byron

Thank you for your help!
Old 12-09-2015, 06:38 AM
Greg Mitchell

Funny, I've always gotten away with 3 oz postage for any graded single (regular size) card....
Old 12-09-2015, 08:33 AM
J3ff Thr0m

Default Bags

I usually use 5x10 Poly bags I buy on ebay. Cheap but reliable and don't rip. I've made about 200 shipments with them. Cards are always between 2 pieces of cardboard. I also tape the bag closed instead of relying on the glue alone.

Single PSA cards are almost always under 3 ounces with the bag and cardboard.

Single SGC cards are usually 3.5 ounces with the bag and cardboard.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

I use 00 for most cards
Old 12-09-2015, 11:55 AM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

I use #0 for standard-sized slabs and #2 for tall boys.

Each allows the slab to fit length-wise in the bottom of the envelope such that it [the envelope] can be folded in half and secured by the adhesive strip.

I have used http://www.royalmailers.com/ and http://sunuku.com/Retail.asp

I find that royal has a little better quality (Kraft), whereas sunuku is a little cheaper. I have found both to be reliable.

Scott
Old 12-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgreb View Post
I use #0 for standard-sized slabs and #2 for tall boys.

Each allows the slab to fit length-wise in the bottom of the envelope such that it [the envelope] can be folded in half and secured by the adhesive strip.

I have used http://www.royalmailers.com/ and http://sunuku.com/Retail.asp

I find that royal has a little better quality (Kraft), whereas sunuku is a little cheaper. I have found both to be reliable.

Scott
I usually buy large boxes of 0 size...they are a bit big for some things but good for most I ship......
Old 12-12-2015, 06:24 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default bubble mailers

One thing to keep in mind is that a few days ago, a new rule was put in place for first class packages. The surface of the package now has to be big enough to contain the address, return address, postage, and the tracking bar code label, on the surface of the package. This means that some of the smaller bubble mailers, and some of the smaller boxes, will not be able to be mailed at the first class rates.

The reason for this change is that a lot of people who print their postage at home are wrapping the barcode around the package so the bar code is on the side or the bottom. The high speed package sorting machines have difficulty reading these barcodes, so these packages may not show any tracking history or they may be delayed. In addition, it is easier for a letter carrier to miss the barcode during delivery, so the package may not be scanned as delivered. We tell the carriers to turn each package over to make sure, but sometimes when they have been out in the below zero weather for several hours and they are performing their 500th delivery of the day, it is easy to miss a scan.

Anyway, you might want to stop using the 3x5 and possibly the 4x6 bubble envelopes and the really small card boxes, because they will no longer be mailable. I am giving my customers a couple of months to use their remaining inventory of boxes and bubble envelopes and this will give me time to educate my customers on the new rule.

The rule will be officially published on Jan 17th, but it takes effect immediately.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:40 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that a few days ago, a new rule was put in place for first class packages. The surface of the package now has to be big enough to contain the address, return address, postage, and the tracking bar code label, on the surface of the package. This means that some of the smaller bubble mailers, and some of the smaller boxes, will not be able to be mailed at the first class rates.

The reason for this change is that a lot of people who print their postage at home are wrapping the barcode around the package so the bar code is on the side or the bottom. The high speed package sorting machines have difficulty reading these barcodes, so these packages may not show any tracking history or they may be delayed. In addition, it is easier for a letter carrier to miss the barcode during delivery, so the package may not be scanned as delivered. We tell the carriers to turn each package over to make sure, but sometimes when they have been out in the below zero weather for several hours and they are performing their 500th delivery of the day, it is easy to miss a scan.

Anyway, you might want to stop using the 3x5 and possibly the 4x6 bubble envelopes and the really small card boxes, because they will no longer be mailable. I am giving my customers a couple of months to use their remaining inventory of boxes and bubble envelopes and this will give me time to educate my customers on the new rule.

The rule will be officially published on Jan 17th, but it takes effect immediately.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I'll just have to print smaller and invest in a bar code shrinker.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:30 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post

Rick
Rick, thanks for this information. I don't mean to sidetrack this topic, but do you know if there's an online place where these rules for the Post Office are posted? Basically, in the Spring 2016 ebay seller news, Top Rated sellers need to have their tracking information showing an Acceptance scan within ~24 hours of buyer payment, and if that does not happen, then the package needs to show that it was delivered to the buyer within the stated delivery time on the ebay listing. The issue of course, is that if the seller drops the packages into a post office box and doesn't request an acceptance scan from the post office clerk, then occasionally the acceptance scan does not happen with that 24 hours (or is missed entirely). In addition, if the package is delayed within the postal system, then it may not be delivered within the stated delivery time. This is further complicated by the issue where ebay is tightening the tracking requirements from something like 90% need to meet this threshold currently to something like 98% in the Spring. Therefore, if you have 1-2 packages that are missed, then as a seller, you would lose your Top Rated status.

The workaround is to get all of your packages scanned by the Post Office clerk with the Acceptance scan when you mail it. However, when I talked to some clerks, they said that they need to charge you for each Acceptance scan (unless you have a SCAN form, which is available when you ship via the USPS online system for Priority mail, but not to my knowledge for the prepaid ebay shipping labels). The clerk that I talked to about this said this new rule took place a few months ago (perhaps early 2015?), so ideally, I would like to point this out to ebay to see if they can adjust their new seller rules to take this fee into account. (The clerk stated the charge is due to something around needing a certified mailer for the Acceptance scan. Something like that, don't know if I'm remembering it correctly.) Thanks!
Old 12-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Hi Gary

Hi Gary,

Most info can be found on USPS.com. You can search the DMM, or click on Postal Explorer.

If you have a lot of packages, you can print a form that can be scanned once, and that will automatically accept all of the packages that are manifested on that form.

I have never heard of charging someone for an acceptance scan. If a carrier picks up your parcel, the carrier scans it as accepted. If you bring it to the Post Office, it is the clerks job to scan it as accepted. If you put a package in the blue collection box, whoever picks up the mail from that collection box is required to scan those parcels as accepted.

I would really like to see if someone in your Post Office can show me the rule that allows them to charge for an acceptance scan. It is actually a benefit to the clerk to scan the package. Every acceptance scan generates 1 minute and 12 seconds of additional workload and that workload translates into more workhours for the clerks.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:47 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Rick, thanks for your feedback. Now that I think about it, could the reason for the charge be that I requested a receipt of the Acceptance scan? I think this is what the Postal Clerk may have been trying to explain to me. That I could stand in line and watch her scan the packages, but I wouldn't receive a receipt, and she wouldn't charge me. However, if I wanted the receipt for the Acceptance scan, then I would be charged. Is this it?

The reason for the Acceptance scan with the clerk is that sometimes if I drop it in the postal box whether it is inside the Post Office or in the blue collection box outside it, it doesn't always receive an acceptance scan. Here's one example of a tracking number that never received a scan even though I dropped it in a blue collection box: 9407409699938922193528

It did arrive on time, but there are sometimes when the packages are delayed a bit. Thanks again!