NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
The OP says that he was told that cards had to be before 1939.
I'm only trying to point out the the OP quoted the article incorrectly. The author stated that he believed in using Pre-1940, not Pre-1939.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 05-25-2018, 08:56 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Falvo View Post
I'm only trying to point out the the OP quoted the article incorrectly. The author stated that he believed in using Pre-1940, not Pre-1939.
In all seriousness, the US wasn't involved in the war until the end of 1941, long after Play Ball had finished issuing its 1941 set, no? The war is the great dividing line becasue that's when Play Ball got out of the baseball card business.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
In all seriousness, the US wasn't involved in the war until the end of 1941, long after Play Ball had finished issuing its 1941 set, no? The war is the great dividing line becasue that's when Play Ball got out of the baseball card business.
I agree the war is a dividing line, so the debate is when you consider that the war started. It was going on before the US got involved. The author uses 1940 as a compromise date. I just don't see that as very controversial. I believe he also collects non-US cards, so he wouldn't only go by the issue dates of US sets as a determiner.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 05-25-2018, 09:18 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Just a casual collector here, and I know far less about cards than I do autographs, so if my premise is flawed, please correct me. Anyway, aren't most of the cards/sets we're talking about from American companies? Isn't Baseball an American game? With that in mind, wouldn't it make sense that pre-war means pre American involvement (pre Pearl Harbor)?
Old 05-25-2018, 09:21 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
I agree the war is a dividing line, so the debate is when you consider that the war started. It was going on before the US got involved. The author uses 1940 as a compromise date. I just don't see that as very controversial. I believe he also collects non-US cards, so he wouldn't only go by the issue dates of US sets as a determiner.
the British stopped issuing cigarette cards in 1940. their pre-war cards have a fixed end date. the "pre-war" label will vary from country to country, and so picking 1940 as the cut off date for US cards does not make any sense. Play Ball 1941 is not a wartime card for the US collector.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
the British stopped issuing cigarette cards in 1940. their pre-war cards have a fixed end date. the "pre-war" label will vary from country to country, and so picking 1940 as the cut off date for US cards does not make any sense. Play Ball 1941 is not a wartime card for the US collector.
We're just going to keep going in circles. I believe that 1940 is a good compromise date since different countries entered the war at different times.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:36 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Pearl Harbor is a clear line for US cards. If America wasn't at war at the time, an American card issue is a pre-war card by definition.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-25-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:57 AM

Default A flag waving opinion, as long as that flag is American

The vast majority of baseball cards were marketed and distributed in the United States (with a nod to Canada), including all of the major ones produced for the national market, such as Goudey, Play Ball and Double Play. This production virtually stopped with Pearl Harbor and the aforementioned paper rationing.

To try to peg an European dateline to a term that involves such an USA-centric activity such as the mass production of baseball cards doesn't seem practical to me. There is no need to change the informally acknowledged and traditional application of the term PreWW2 from cards produced 1941 and before.

It just makes dang ethnocentric sense!

Brian
Old 05-25-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Long before the two main allied powers entered the war?He is not including 1940 sets is he? Then he is using no compromise date. He is using the British date, when the Russian date would be almost 2 years later and the American date would be more than 2 years later.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Long before the two main allied powers entered the war?He is not including 1940 sets is he? Then he is using no compromise date. He is using the British date, when the Russian date would be almost 2 years later and the American date would be more than 2 years later.
The compromise is between 1939 and 1941. I just don't see how this is so controversial and why people are so upset that one person's opinion is that 1940 is a good dividing line to make things simple.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:52 AM
Dave

I've always considered prewar to mean anything before the US entered in the war. I have a few non-sports cards from the War Gum. From Gum Inc. The copyright says 1942. What era would these be considered ?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
The compromise is between 1939 and 1941. I just don't see how this is so controversial and why people are so upset that one person's opinion is that 1940 is a good dividing line to make things simple.
How about when Great Britain declared war on Japan? I am sorry, I don't see what the compromise is. It is we should go with when Great Britain declared war on Germany and ignore their interactions with Italy and Japan and completely ignore Russia and USA. How is that any compromise? The war didn't fully begin until 1941.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
How about when Great Britain declared war on Japan? I am sorry, I don't see what the compromise is. It is we should go with when Great Britain declared war on Germany and ignore their interactions with Italy and Japan and completely ignore Russia and USA. How is that any compromise? The war didn't fully begin until 1941.
Do you think that maybe you are overthinking this a little? One person's opinion is that pre-war cards are 1940 and earlier. You disagree. I'm out of this debate.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:17 PM
David M.

Well, the name of this forum is "WWII & Older", not "prewar". If you say postwar is after 1945, and prewar is before 1939, you're leaving a hole of six years where cards wouldn't be included in either group. I think WWII & Older is a better definition of what is really intended.