NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-06-2023, 07:25 AM
Gary

2 new arrivals today A nice Boston Braves and the Koufax.

I've found myself with a few mini pennants now. How do you guys display mini pennants. The normal pennant toploaders are just too big.

Has anyone found toploaders for mini pennants or any other solutions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230706_125825.jpg (211.6 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg 20230706_142207.jpg (210.1 KB, 318 views)
Old 07-06-2023, 07:35 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
2 new arrivals today A nice Boston Braves and the Koufax. I've found myself with a few mini pennants now. How do you guys display mini pennants. The normal pennant toploaders are just too big. Has anyone found toploaders for mini pennants or any other solutions?
Love those player pennants! You can always take scissors to the toploaders.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:51 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
2 new arrivals today A nice Boston Braves and the Koufax.

I've found myself with a few mini pennants now. How do you guys display mini pennants. The normal pennant toploaders are just too big.

Has anyone found toploaders for mini pennants or any other solutions?
ASCO’s mid-sized picture pennants are very cool. Wish there was more information on years/series and if a checklist of players exists. That auction from some months ago suggests they made for quite a few players albeit in small quantities.

Last edited by thetahat; 07-06-2023 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:55 AM

Already had this in a lightly faded blue, but the condition of this red version was too good to pass up. Has the “two-ply” spine of tissue paper-like material indicative of what I think is some yet to be identified NYC company.

To my knowledge this particular two-team WS style was made from 1954-57. The ‘54 is a toughie. Marc, you have one to show I think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B0AD010F-5F0E-406B-AC1B-8F5857E0494D.jpg (263.0 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 07-06-2023 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:41 PM
Mike Kendall

I put some of mine in a 12 x 36 frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B3F6C023-9FC8-489F-B005-470316CA17F7.jpg (194.3 KB, 311 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 07-07-2023, 07:28 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
I put some of mine in a 12 x 36 frame.
Looks great Mike... some toughies there for sure!

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 07-07-2023, 07:36 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I thought this would be a good place to alert everyone to the latest episodes of TSOG. In celebration of All Star Week, we are doing a 3-part series on vintage pennants from Baseball's All Star Game.

Some rare versions, terrific artwork, and lots of history to be sure. The first segment was just posted and features All Star Pennants from 1947 - 1958. For anyone who cares to watch, please see the link below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucSn9e0cHmg

Thanks so much for your support of the channel!
Mark

Old 07-07-2023, 07:51 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I thought this would be a good place to alert everyone to the latest episodes of TSOG. In celebration of All Star Week, we are doing a 3-part series on vintage pennants from Baseball's All Star Game.

Some rare versions, terrific artwork, and lots of history to be sure. The first segment was just posted and features All Star Pennants from 1947 - 1958. For anyone who cares to watch, please see the link below...

Mark

Really enjoyed this, Mark. Great stuff, cool pennants, and I learn every time I watch your videos! Thank you for sharing!
Old 07-08-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Mark
Good stuff Mark. My personal favorite are the ‘58s.

Early in the video there’s what appears to be a Browns high up on the wall. Can only see part of it. Any chance of a clean pic of it?
Old 07-08-2023, 01:30 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Good stuff Mark. My personal favorite are the ‘58s.

Early in the video there’s what appears to be a Browns high up on the wall. Can only see part of it. Any chance of a clean pic of it?
This is probably the elusive Pixie you speak of.... the only example I've seen of this pennant. Has anyone else seen this one before?

Ps. Sorry for the huge image followed by the sideways image. Some recurring technical glitch beyond my level of expertise has occurred, so you can see why I've stopped posting pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pixie1.jpg (195.0 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg Pixie2.jpg (207.0 KB, 270 views)

Old 07-08-2023, 03:33 PM
Gary

Quote:

Mark
Great video Mark. I'm already looking forward to the next two.
Old 07-08-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
This is probably the elusive Pixie you speak of.... the only example I've seen of this pennant. Has anyone else seen this one before?

Ps. Sorry for the huge image followed by the sideways image. Some recurring technical glitch beyond my level of expertise has occurred, so you can see why I've stopped posting pics.
Nope never seen before. Fantastic!!!
Old 07-08-2023, 11:42 PM
Rob

Quote:

Maybe Bart could help you out. He’s the brains behind TSOG, isn’t he?

Great pennant; great new episode of TSOG.
Old 07-09-2023, 10:46 AM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

Quote:

Damn Mark, that is so cool!
Old 07-09-2023, 12:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Maybe Bart could help you out. He’s the brains behind TSOG, isn’t he?

Great pennant; great new episode of TSOG.
Yes, Bart could probably fix it in about 5 seconds (in his sleep). But he knows about as much about pennants as I know about his editing software (which intimidates the hell out of me, just to glance at it). So it's truly a "symbiotic" relationship that seems to work great for these videos!

Old 07-09-2023, 12:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 661fish View Post
Damn Mark, that is so cool!
Thank you Sean... Coming from you, it is much appreciated!

Old 07-11-2023, 07:01 AM
Jim Reynolds

Here’s something that’ll make you cry. Saw this in an online auction last night. Almost pulled the trigger but didn’t. When I checked my reference book. I see that someone trimmed the National League Champs 1956 off the bottom. So sad!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8DD53D8D-5FEE-4127-858F-052D5001AEC7.jpg (214.4 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpeg C65199D5-F1EC-4948-927B-1236E13CFF7A.jpeg (186.5 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg EC066E77-A940-4350-AA4D-E9B63FCFE192.jpg (33.2 KB, 222 views)
Old 07-11-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Here’s something that’ll make you cry. Saw this in an online auction last night. Almost pulled the trigger but didn’t. When I checked my reference book. I see that someone trimmed the National League Champs 1956 off the bottom. So sad!
This could have been something the merchant did with these phantoms sitting idly. Might as well sell them in ‘57.

One thing I’ve noticed about phantom pennants and others that are similar is that they seem to often have bleeding on the spine. As if they were boxed away in a pile and were later hit by the same flood or water damage. The ‘65 SF Giants Champs pennant comes to mind, also the Trench Seattle Pilots which may have had piles left over after the move. I once had a ‘52 Dodgers World Champs that had the same exact bleeding as another I had seen …

Last edited by thetahat; 07-11-2023 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:22 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
This could have been something the merchant did with these phantoms sitting idly. Might as well sell them in ‘57.
That's a possibility I guess. Still just a shame.
Old 07-14-2023, 06:37 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Part 2 of the "All-Star Pennant Parade" is now up on YouTube. Please take a peek, and let me know what you think!

Link below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrwx1NYmbXE&t=322s

Old 07-15-2023, 11:15 AM
Rob

Quote:
Part 2 of the "All-Star Pennant Parade" is now up on YouTube. Please take a peek, and let me know what you think!

Link below...

It was fantastic, of course! The Shea pennant is particularly fantastic. It got me wondering which Giants pennant of mine might have the most colors. I can think of some suspects. I’m gonna check my photos…

Speaking of the Giants….is that a black spine on your 1961 Candlestick ASG pennant? I’ve always seen blue. Usually faded blue.
Old 07-15-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Link below...

Mark … awesome!!! Do you have a ‘61 ASG from Fenway? The only Keezer All Star pennant that I know of, which makes sense given the company’s location. There’s also a Trench I believe, without a scroll, which I don’t have. I think it’s a “I was there” style …
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 317BDD25-F817-4D5C-9DB4-FB687BA5C61D.jpg (264.0 KB, 185 views)
Old 07-15-2023, 01:06 PM
Rob

Quote:
Mark … awesome!!! Do you have a ‘61 ASG from Fenway? The only Keezer All Star pennant that I know of, which makes sense given the company’s location.…
Not the prettiest pennant I’ve ever seen but pretty awesome for its simplicity and uniqueness!

edit: not to mention its rarity!

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 07-15-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 01:57 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nope, I've never found that one in the condition I'd like. The white felt is always dirty or yellowed. Yours is a miracle survivor! Looks like it was made yesterday.... just awesome.

I have a few holes in the "run", but the one I really want to find is 1952 (with the Liberty Bell). Had a few chances at it back in the '90s, but snoozed and missed the window of opportunity. Now it never turns up.

I need 1969, which shouldn't be too tough in theory. But when they surface, they always have some deal-killing condition issue. There's a red and a white version for 1969.

I need 1965, but do not love picture pennants. And the ones I've seen always have a photo that looks re-applied or re-taped to the reverse. Seems to be the norm, as these photos must've easily detached upon simple handling of the pennant.

I also need 1955, as I idiotically sold mine many years ago. Graphically, the 1955 looks just like 1953, and I figured I didn't need both. It was in Mint condition, too... so lots of regret with that one.

Old 07-15-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Nope, I've never found that one in the condition I'd like. The white felt is always dirty or yellowed. Yours is a miracle survivor! Looks like it was made yesterday.... just awesome.

I have a few holes in the "run", but the one I really want to find is 1952 (with the Liberty Bell). Had a few chances at it back in the '90s, but snoozed and missed the window of opportunity. Now it never turns up.

I need 1969, which shouldn't be too tough in theory. But when they surface, they always have some deal-killing condition issue. There's a red and a white version for 1969.

I need 1965, but do not love picture pennants. And the ones I've seen always have a photo that looks re-applied or re-taped to the reverse. Seems to be the norm, as these photos must've easily detached upon simple handling of the pennant.

I also need 1955, as I idiotically sold mine many years ago. Graphically, the 1955 looks just like 1953, and I figured I didn't need both. It was in Mint condition, too... so lots of regret with that one.
That was a successful cleaning job. As for picture pennants, I find myself liking the 1960-61 Trenches, before they started using the ribbon. A real classic look to them and they used flocked print. I just need another damn wall …
Old 07-15-2023, 05:33 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
That was a successful cleaning job. As for picture pennants, I find myself liking the 1960-61 Trenches, before they started using the ribbon. A real classic look to them and they used flocked print. I just need another damn wall
That's what ceilings are for!

Old 07-15-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Not the prettiest pennant I’ve ever seen but pretty awesome for its simplicity and uniqueness!

edit: not to mention its rarity!
Agreed. It is rather unsightly. But still kinda cool. Keezer is underrated.
Old 07-15-2023, 08:08 PM
Rob

Quote:
That's what ceilings are for!
And Rubbermaid bins, huh?
Old 07-15-2023, 11:51 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
And Rubbermaid bins, huh?
Bins, for sure. But mine are all Sterlite brand. Sterlite's bins (back when I bought them) were just big enough that I could store the pennants facing both ways (thus fitting twice as many into a bin). But I'm sure they've changed since then.

Old 07-16-2023, 03:58 PM
Gary

Quote:
Bins, for sure. But mine are all Sterlite brand. Sterlite's bins (back when I bought them) were just big enough that I could store the pennants facing both ways (thus fitting twice as many into a bin). But I'm sure they've changed since then.
Mark, I like how you've stored those bins in your cabinet (as seen in your youtube video). I managed to pick up something similar in the UK but it's not wide enough to fit 2 pennants side by side. The hunt continues.

BTW, Part 2 of the ASG Pennant series was excellent. A series on the World Series pennants could be a great follow up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230716_225538.jpg (203.6 KB, 165 views)
Old 07-16-2023, 07:36 PM
Rob

While not as artistic as the 1969 Shea ASG pennant shown in the latest TSOG, this unknown maker is probably my most colorful Giants. Six colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-04-30 06.19.26_Original.jpg (206.9 KB, 163 views)
Old 07-16-2023, 08:27 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
While not as artistic as the 1969 Shea ASG pennant shown in the latest TSOG, this unknown maker is probably my most colorful Giants. Six colors.
Rob, from about what time would this style pennant have been?
Old 07-16-2023, 09:24 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Very nice Rob....

That's the first one I've seen with orange cloth. Typically that pennant is black.... right?

The Giants really were ambitious and adventurous with these early to mid-60s pennants. Very unique maker and atypical manufacturing process.

Love it!

Last edited by perezfan; 07-16-2023 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Mark, I like how you've stored those bins in your cabinet (as seen in your youtube video). I managed to pick up something similar in the UK but it's not wide enough to fit 2 pennants side by side. The hunt continues.

BTW, Part 2 of the ASG Pennant series was excellent. A series on the World Series pennants could be a great follow up.
Thanks Gary....

Your bin has some good depth to it, so I bet it stores about the same number of pennants as mine. I just prefer the shallow ones because it's easier to rifle through them when you don't have to dig so deep down.

Thanks also for your input on the videos. There's still one final All-Star Game Pennant segment that will air this Friday.

Great idea on doing a segment on World Series Pennants. We will definitely plan to do that, though I don't know when. There's a bunch of other stuff on the horizon that we've partially taped. But I have already put your suggestion on the list of future episodes. Thanks for watching!

Old 07-17-2023, 05:24 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Rob, from about what time would this style pennant have been?
Very definitely early 60’s. There is a very similar pennant for the 1962 NL Champs.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:28 AM
Rob

Quote:
Very nice Rob....

That's the first one I've seen with orange cloth. Typically that pennant is black.... right?

The Giants really were ambitious and adventurous with these early to mid-60s pennants. Very unique maker and atypical manufacturing process.

Love it!
That particular pennant I have in white and green, also. I’ve seen blue. Marc may have that one. When this style morphed with “batter in the moon/ball” it was typically (always?) black.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:04 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Very definitely early 60’s. There is a very similar pennant for the 1962 NL Champs.
Thanks. It's similar in style to one I have from Dinosaur Land, which is just down the road from me in Winchester, Virginia, and still open after 75 years! I've always thought of it as probably from the 70s or 80s, but from what you say I guess it's earlier. Very cool.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:50 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
..... just down the road from me in Winchester, Virginia
Hank, I'm not too terribly far away from you. I'm in Glen Allen, just outside of Richmond. Driven through Winchester many a time.
Old 07-17-2023, 12:01 PM
Marc

Here is the blue, Rob.

But I've always thought the bridge scene pennant had to be the most labor intensive. It is certainly the heaviest. So heavy with graphics/paint that it is almost always cracked in many places. This one is pretty good. Not sure what happened to the spine (and it has a hole punched into it at the top of the graphics). I'm on a super lazy quest to find a really mint version of this pennant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4218.jpg (90.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7416.jpg (125.0 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 07-17-2023 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2023, 12:06 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Hank, I'm not too terribly far away from you. I'm in Glen Allen, just outside of Richmond. Driven through Winchester many a time.
We met at Rich's little card show and tell a few months ago, if I'm not mistaken. Let me know when you pass this way again.
Old 07-17-2023, 02:37 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
We met at Rich's little card show and tell a few months ago, if I'm not mistaken. Let me know when you pass this way again.
You are correct! I recall that now.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Here is the blue, Rob.

But I've always thought the bridge scene pennant had to be the most labor intensive. It is certainly the heaviest. So heavy with graphics/paint that it is almost always cracked in many places. This one is pretty good. Not sure what happened to the spine (and it has a hole punched into it at the top of the graphics). I'm on a super lazy quest to find a really mint version of this pennant.
That Bridge Pennant is exactly what I had in mind when I called the Giants' early 60s pennants "ambitious". Can't think of anything else that even comes close, in terms of colorful and "busy" graphics.

Old 07-17-2023, 06:28 PM
Rob

Quote:
That Bridge Pennant is exactly what I had in mind when I called the Giants' early 60s pennants "ambitious". Can't think of anything else that even comes close, in terms of colorful and "busy" graphics.
“Only” six colors though

I forgot to count white in the one I showed. I think white would push that one to seven.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:00 PM

Found this at the antique store. Was told it was from 1936-1940???IMG_1603 (1).jpg
Old 07-18-2023, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia30 View Post
Found this at the antique store. Was told it was from 1936-1940???Attachment 580483
It looks to me like this is a cloth pennant, not felt, which would put it in the 1950-1970 era. The yellow spine also indicates that. I think it’s most likely late 50s. Still very rare and cool looking and a great pickup.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:06 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia30 View Post
Found this at the antique store. Was told it was from 1936-1940???Attachment 580483
The pennant guide says 1960s.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:09 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I thought late '50s - early '60s when I first saw the image. I didn't realize the Pennant Guide included mini pennants!

Old 07-19-2023, 07:16 AM

Appreciate the feedback everyone.
Old 07-21-2023, 11:54 AM

New acquisition from 1937. Has “Charles Shear” tag on back. Does anyone have the “sister” Yankees version? I think there are a couple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02E27788-B7B7-4EB9-BABE-0B269CB82574.jpg (256.3 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg BEBC74F9-7E85-4196-9E61-B10B6EEE4A20.jpg (195.9 KB, 182 views)
Old 07-21-2023, 01:08 PM
Marc

That's a really clean Giants pennant. Looks great.