NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: Jorge Marce

Ryan the point of whose cards belong to you and which weren't was because the first time we talked long before you spoke to Sergio you had mentioned that the cards that were available for purchase were not all yours. And when you made the deal with Sergio I remember you saying that one or more of the cards weren't yours. So all I'm saying is that if any of the owners of the cards should not give an opinion on this matter unless they state that they had a stake in the deal. Thats all.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: scott ingold

I think Mr Sloate hit the nail on the head. Mr "big time" lets his flunky twist in the wind is an appropriate title for this thread with where it's gone. What is stunning to me is that this was the "man" i say that with a smile,Was just profiled in the SMR. Just shows that no matter the $ or profession all walks of life have worms in there midst.

At least Mr. Delgado's tactics make lawyers look good.
Note: Just having some fun with that last comment.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: Aaron M.

Jorge wrote: "Ryan at what point did you decide to stop being nice to me and tell me to get a lawyer. What was the last straw?"

Just speculating here, but I would guess "the last straw" was when Ryan finally came to his senses and realized you and Sergio had ripped him off and enough was enough.

I don't share some of the forum's positive opinion of Ryan and generally think the guy is unstable (and prone to stalking), but if you and Sergio had pulled this kind of stunt on me (well, actually I never would have given you guys my cards without being paid beforehand because apparently I'm not as trusting as Ryan) I would have sued you months ago and I would have relentlessly pursued both of you until I had been paid back and then some.

The fact that you haven't been served with a claim at this point actually speaks to Ryan's kindliness (!!!). So if I were you, I'd huddle with Sergio and get this man his money ASAP before Ryan finally decides to stop playing Mr. Nice Guy and you and Sergio see the inside of a court room. Take it from me; this isn't going to go away. Ryan ain't going to stop calling and harassing you until you've paid him the money he's owed.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: Peter Spaeth

Conspicuously absent from Mr. Marce's various posts is any explanation why Mr. Delgado took so long to pay what he has paid, and has not finished paying after the passage of so much time. If indeed he is short on funds, which I speculate is unlikely, he should either return the equivalent value of the unpaid debt to Ryan in the form of cards, or he should sell cards to generate cash. If there is another side to this story, it has not been told yet, certainly not by Mr. Marce whose jabs at Ryan seem utterly irrelvant to the issue at hand.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

What we also don't know yet is if Jorge was still buying for Delgado during the summer knowing full well that Delgado still owed Ryan over $30,000. I don't know if Ryan has cashed that check yet, but I don't think I would cash it if it says "Final Payment" in the memo. I would wait until Delgado paid the rest of the money to the auction house.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: Nick

"And Ryan is wrong Mr Delgado does owe that auction house other money besides Ryans debt."

So who DOES Mr. Delgado pay off timely?

Old 09-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

This will be my final words on this matter. Ryan has made accusations, while he has linked them together they can only be defended individually. {Refering to the Mike Plemmons thread}

1 Mr Delgado has ripped me off for $30,000.

Only Mr Delgado and Ryan know all the facts. Only Mr Delgado can defend himself. I am not in a position to defend anybody but myself.

2 Rooky13 ripped me off for 30,000.

I strongly disagree. Rooky13 is my Ebay handle, I've made transactions on it before I had Mr Delgados business. While the large majority of transactions are for Mr Delgado I've done some that are not. Had I made this transaction on Ebay, than yes, Rooky13 would be involved. My positive feedback is close to a 1,000 without any complaints, if you count repeated business, which I do a lot of, and doesn't get credit on Ebay. 3 Jorge Marce a fellow board member ripped me off for $30,000

This statement has no merit. If Ryan has shown that I have stolen money from him, then somebody on this board please point this out. The only accusations that I can try to defend are the second and third. Since Ryan has grouped them all together it may appear that I am trying to defend Mr Delgado instead of myself. And I'll say it again only Mr Delgado can speak for himself. Some of you have already tried and hung him before he has made any comment, and some of you are waiting to hear what he has to say. Through his own words Ryan has stated that he is not really owed $30,000 since he has a check for over $17,000 that hes been holding for about three weeks now. What he is owed are cards worth about $14,000 that are being held by an auction house. He had asked Mr Delgado to take over his debt for these cards and Mr Delgado had agreed as part of the money he owed to Ryan. Mr Delgado currently owes the auction house for their latest auction plus Ryans debt. The auction house is currently holding Ryans cards, and Mr Delgados cards from the latest auction plus Mr delgados cards from a previous auction that has been completely paid. In other words Mr Delgado cannot get over a $100,000 worth of cards until he pays his entire bill which includes Ryans old debt. So please explain how I ripped Ryan off for $30,000. My involvement in this whole matter has been the following, putting Ryan and Sergio in contact with each other, and meeting with Ryan and Sergio in Miami just in case I was needed for future deals. There were no future deals. As a favor to Ryan I relayed emails from him to Sergio. Had I negotiated directly with Ryan or closed the deal then my involevement would have been much greater. Ryan never told me he felt I was guilty of anything until his final email which advised me to get a lawyer. In my opinion this attack on me is based on two words FINAL PAYMENT. These are the words that I titled an email I wrote him. These are the words that Sergio wrote (according to Ryan) on the final check he sent him. Ryan thought that this was such a coincidence that we both used those same words that we must both be trying to screw him. And he went on to say that by him cashing a check that says final payment on it does not excuse the auction bill. Get a lawyer! This whole attack on me is because I used the title FINAL PAYMENT. In the email I also asked, has the payment to the auction house been made, IF IT HAS, then the bill is complete. If you think the words final payment was put in to screw you then why would I be asking on the same email has THE AUCTION BILL BEEN PAID? IF YES.........

I've made some previous statements in which I was trying to make a certain point, and Ryan and some of you others have taken them to mean something else. I haven't emailed Leon. I dont care whose cards Ryan sold as long as the owners dont make comments without revealing that they are involved, and a few others, but I'll stop here. I took a few days off cause I realized I was writting from emotion, and I felt once I calmed down maybe what I was writting would make more sense. I dont know if it has but I'll leave up to the board, if you think I'm guilty of stealing one dollar from Ryan then I'll leave and won't post here anymore. If you feel that I haven't stolen anything then I would like for you, Leon, to please remove statements accusing me of ripping of Ryan. I've contacted Sergio and set up a meeting with him soon. I've asked him to write a response, once I get I'll post it.

Jorge

Old 09-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

I just have one question for you Jorge. Have you continued to buy cards on ebay for Mr. Delgado after you became aware that Delgado still owes money to Ryan and the auction house?

Old 09-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: barrysloate

Daniel expressed exactly what I was thinking- during the time that Ryan has waited to be paid, has Mr. Delgado still been purchasing cards from other sources? If so, highly unethical.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

The question has been posed several times and a reply is not being given. I think that speaks volumes.

Old 09-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Jorge Marce - My final statement (in this thread) - September 25 2005, 3:00 PM

"I strongly disagree. Rooky13 is my Ebay handle, I've made transactions on it before I had Mr Delgados business. While the large majority of transactions are for Mr Delgado I've done some that are not."

Old 09-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: leon

In as much as I like to honor board participants requests one of the board policies is also to let folks say what they want to. It has always been this board "regime's" policy to allow folks to say what they want to as long as they put their name next to it. I count both you and Ryan as hobby friends...Like I said before I wish to stay out of this dispute......regards

Old 09-25-2005, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Another thing that bothers me about Jorge's replies here is that he continues to harp on the fact that Ryan hasn't cashed the check marked "Final Payment" when he should realize that until the auction house is paid off he is smart not to cash that check. I believe Jorge KNOWS this as well.

Probably the biggest thing that bothers me aside from Ryan being ripped off is that it appears there is some guy out there with more money than brains that has no real appreciation for these cards or the players buying up some of the nicest specimens just because he can (Or apparently used to be able to).

Old 09-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Mr Delgado has written a letter and asked me to email it to you.

Ryan came to Miami with the following group of cards

Hilton Smith 48-49 Toleteros Fair
Cristobal Torriente 23-24 Thomas Gutierrez VG
Leon Day 50-51 Denia Ex+
John Lloyd 25 Aguilitas nm
Oscar Charleston 23-24 Billiken Ex
Martin Dihigo 45-46 Caramelo Dep Vg
Ray Dandridge 45-46 Caramelo Dep Vg
Jose Mendez 24-25 Aguilitas ex

$87,000 (plus)

I paid for half of the cards with cashiers checks. I never wanted to keep the cards without him receiving all of his money. He insisted that I keep the cards and pay him later. I specifically told him that I did not know when I could pay him the rest, but that I would try to pay within thirty days. After thirty days I did not have the money to pay, and asked him if he wanted me to send the cards back. He said no, to pay him when I could. I have made payments since then and today I do not owe him any money. Today I owe the auction house money for about $14,000 that Ryan owes, and for some items I have won. I have made an agreement with the auction house as to when this money will be paid and Ryan sshould be receiving his cards, and I should be receiving my cards within 4 weeks.

Jorge Marce is my buyer, I give him money he buys me cards. When I didn't have the money to front, Jorge gladly volunteered to pay for the cards as long as I paid him back the interest on the credit cards he is used. Ryan has something in common with Jorge and the auction house, they all weighed the risks and decided to give me credit. Maybe it was because I have a reputation of someone who buys lots of expensive cards and for paying off what he owes.

I have asked my attorney to look over the slanderous comments Ryan has made about me, and I will take my attorneys' advice.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

Here goes..my one and only statement... get ready ... here it comes....

slan·der (slăn'dər) pronunciation
n.

1. Law. Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.
2. A false and malicious statement or report about someone.

li·bel (lī'bəl) pronunciation
n.

1. A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation.
2. The act of presenting such material to the public.
2. The written claims presented by a plaintiff in an action at admiralty law or to an ecclesiastical court.

On a more serious note:
Picabo Street Philanthropy
Did you hear that former American Olympian Picabo Street donated a large sum to her hometown hospital's emergency center?

Her town named the centre after her: Peekaboo ICU

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

* I'm smart enough to know that there are a lot of people who know more than I do.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: one-in-ten

I'm sorry, but what a joke. Your lawyer is going to tell you to live up to your contract. Boo hoo about your reputation.

--Chad

Old 09-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: J Levine

...to keeping a good reputation is to not spend more than you can afford. I am pretty sure Ryan did not hold a gun to your head when he told you to keep the cards and pay him when you can. You could have always said no. Your attorney will tell you the same and if you do manage to bring it to court the judge will laugh you out of the courtroom. It drives me up the wall when people complain about their reputation on the board when they have put themselves in this position.

Joshua

Old 09-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Notably missing from Jorge's is mention of a "contract," a firm committment to pay by a certain date, etc.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Maybe CU wants to do a part 2 to their story in the SMR about Mr. Delgado? I had more respect for Mr. Delgado before he wrote the letter.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

And it's even more irritating the second time. So it's Ryan's and the auction house's fault that they trusted this guy to pay what he promised? Jackass. Can you say jackass on this site? Anyway, jackass.

--Chad

Old 09-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

My grandmother died on Saturday while my mom, who lives 100 feet from the water in Galveston bay was evacuated from her home with the possibility of it being entirely destroyed. Fortunately, she is okay and so is her home. My point is, I've been too busy with trivial matters like the well-being of my family, making funeral arrengements, etc. to read or post on this awesome thread, but I assure you I have MUCH to say and will do so later tonight.

I went back and read the e-mails I've sent and received since April regarding this deal and was truly shocked at how cool I've been about the whole thing. If Sergio would like me forward his lawyer any of these e-mails please let me know. I can also scan the contract he signed and forward that to him as well.

I really love having to spend time posting about this instead of being paid in a timely manner. I know it wasn't done through ebay, but I'll even publicly post some feedback for you: Thanks Sergio and Jorge for an ideal transaction! A+++

(Note to Sergio's lawyer: The above feedback should be considered, in legal terms, sarcasm. Thanks for your concern. Please bill Sergio by the hour if you have to come here and read all of these posts.)

-Ryan

Old 09-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: scott ingold

and i think we all will agree, an ASS. The letter he sent speaks volume's about his morals as a buisnessman. I just hope anyone who might do buisness in the future is given access to this thread, Or at least pointed in the right direction. "I will take my lawyers advice" Please !!!!!!!!!! Live up to your contract and move on.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Take care of you and yours and don't worry about this thread anymore. Mr. Delgado has made it pretty clear he's a jackass and you shouldn't feel any need to defend yourself anymore. I just hope you get the money--finally--and can move on from this.

--Chad

Old 09-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: warshawlaw

In God we trust, all others pay cash.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

Perhaps you could shed light on the question that has not been answered: how much money did Delgado spend on cards while he owed Ryan money? Was it zero? If it was zero and he couldn't afford to pay him why didn't he sell a card or two from his million dollar collection to pay Ryan? Or return some of Ryan's cards?

Old 09-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Adam, "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash" is a great book by Jean Shepherd. It contains the original story to the movie "A Christmas Story". I would recommend any of Jean Shepherd's books, he was a great storyteller.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: David McDonald

This issue didn't require 75 posts. Sergio Delgado, pay your goddam debt to Ryan Christoff. You are slandering your own name. Jeez!

Old 10-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Just thought Sergio and Jorge would like to join me in celebrating the 1 month anniversary since Sergio posted that I'd be all paid off "within 4 weeks."

Yes, it was 4 weeks and 2 days ago this very evening that we heard from Sergio for the first and undoubtedly last time.

As it turns out, exactly 30 days have passed since then. Hmmmm, supposed to be paid by Sergio within 30 days...30 days pass...no payment....it all seems so familiar, like deja-vu all over again, as Yogi would say, but I just can't put my finger on it. 30 days...hmmmmm...30 days. I know I've heard that somewhere before, but where? Spooky.

So the updated amount I am currently being taken for is $14,407.62. You can pretend, Sergio, that you don't owe me since you have agreed to pay the auction house for me, but I still have not received the cards. Until I receive them, YOU owe me $14,407.62. Oh, plus the 10% interest you agreed (on the phone, of course) to pay me for stringing me along for such a long time. That would be 10% on the $40,000 balance you owed for so many months. Yes, I'm sure your word is as good as gold on that one. I'll be holding my breath that you'll be sending me another $4,000.

Some other interesting stats regarding the incredible length of time that has passed with you not paying what you owe me:

* My daughter, then less than 60 days old, has grown nearly 4 times as old as she was when this transaction began.

* The Chicago White Sox won 92 regular season games (they were 7-3 when the transaction began), 11 playoff games and a World Series title.

* The NHL was formed.

* JFK, Dean Martin, Dizzie Gillespie and Harry Caray were born.

* The Russian Revolution began.

* The United States entered the Great War (the one to end all wars).

* etc.

Wait a minute, now that I think about it....Jorge first contacted me around September of 2004. At that time the Red Sox hadn't won a World Series since 1918. The White Sox, since 1917. Cubs, 1908. Since then...Bosox? Check! Chisox? Check! This can only mean....Sergio is waiting until the Cubbies win the 2006 World Series to pay me. He is the anti-curse!!!

I could never understand why someone would do business this way and treat someone the way I've been treated, but suddenly it all makes sense.

Go Cubs!!!

-Ryan

Old 10-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

Ryan:

What goes around, comes around. I truly believe that.

-Al

Old 10-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

Posted By: Cat

Ryan:

Do you mind posting the current details? Did you cash the check marked "Final Payment?" Does the auction house recognize that Sergio Delgado is paying your debt? Where is the auction house at with your cards? Are they still holding them or are they going to sell them at a subsequent auction? Is the auction house going to release the cards to you or to him when and if the debt is paid? I assume the list that Mr. Delgado posted was accurate as to the identification of the cards you originally sold him. Is this correct? Do you mind posting the contract on the board? I am only asking, because as strange as it may sound, someone may be willing to buy your contract from you, and take the risk of collecting either the money or the cards from Mr. Delgado. Some people really have a knack for collecting.

Good Luck

Old 11-02-2005, 04:33 AM
Administrator

Default Rooky13

I've gotten a few e-mails regarding the 10% interest I mentioned in an earlier post so I wanted to briefly clarify: I never asked for any interest.

Sergio offered to pay me interest and 10% was what he offered. It was his idea. In fact, I told him I wasn't really comfortable accepting interest if he would just pay me. This was back at the beginning of August.

He then offered to send me the interest but we would treat it as a credit towards future purchases. So if he sent me $4,000 and at some point I sold him a $10,000 card he would only need to send me $6,000.

Not sure why I felt I needed to clarify that, but there it is.

-Ryan