NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Default Sporting News Premium

Posted By: Nickinvegas

I have a question about the M114 premium sold in the link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2754050123&category=31719&rd=1

How rare are these?Is the final price typical of these premiums?

There is one for sale in the the collectible classics aution that I was going to bid on but I am reconsidering now that this one has sold at such a low price.

Old 09-24-2003, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

The M114s are 'Baseball Magazine' Premiums. The magazine issued similar style/color premiums for many years, at least until the 1950s. They generally do not get much respect in the hobby, in part because premium prints rarely get much respect by trading card collectors and possibly because of the brown tone (They really could have picked a better color or, even better, have it in colors).

The aren't rare, and the Gaynor price is probably typical for the Cobb or similar star. I think it's worth having one or two, as the are like miniature posters.

Old 09-24-2003, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: kevinr

That price is pretty accurate for a Cobb in that condition. If you see a similar one in another auction with a much higher price, it is probably because they are just fishing for somebody who is not that knowledgeable and looking for an old Cobb item.

Old 09-25-2003, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Early baseball suppliments and premiums prints is a largely overlooked and underated area in the hobby, and someone could be a pioneer by researching and producing a guide (or at least an article) to the area. Though many in the hobby are familiar with the Baseball Magazine Premiums, Sporting News Suppliments and Harper's Woodcuts (neither suppliments or premiums, but within the genre), those comprise the tip of the iceberg.

Old 09-25-2003, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Some look old, but were issued much later than when the photo was taken, unlike the Sporting News supplements were issued on the dates printed on the supplements - I saw a "Baseball Magazine" Cobb go recently in a Henry Yee auction for an arm and a leg. The same premium, accurately described by me as being from the '40s, went for about 1/10th of the Yee price.

Old 09-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

from the 1910's bring LARGE coin.......$500-$1000 or more. I think there may be most of the larger stars in the 10x18.5 format like Scott's Cobb. I thought that was a little low to fairly priced. The 1930's-1940's are like 9x12 or 9x13 in size I believe. I bought a lot of about 30 at a local auction here. The HOFers will generally bring in the $15-$20 range unless it's a Gehrig or 'better' Hall of Famer and commons will bring $8-$10. Watch out for trimming on this issue though as with the wide white borders, people liked to trim them to fit picture frames or just make them smaller.