NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 PM

Default The good old days on eBay

Anyone else wish eBay hadn't become super-paranoid and quit posting the user ids of bidders and winners in auctions? It was nice to know who you were bidding against and who won. Not just idle curiosity, I used to refrain from bidding against a couple of firends from 54 and they returned the favor or if you saw someone bidding on an item, you could email them and ask them if a particular card was a "must have" or merely looking for a good price to flip or trade. Those were the days.....
Old 01-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Banned

Leon & Matt,

Will your new auction site allow users to see the IDs of other bidders?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default under review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Leon & Matt,

Will your new auction site allow users to see the IDs of other bidders?
Rob- We are discussing this currently. For our trial period I believe you WILL be able to see all bidders during the auction. Quite honestly this is a discussion I was hoping to have later but here we are. Matt and I won't be making a final decision until sometime later but, it is our current thought (and this could well change), that bidders id's will be hidden during the auction but shown after it ends. As Tbob mentioned in the first post he was always hoping to help a friend out, which is commendable, and I used to do it too, but is it really fair to the seller? If we show the ID's AFTER the auction it won't hurt the seller and our members can help us police a little bit......This is a very open subject right now.....
Old 01-19-2010, 01:22 PM

I'm not.

I am the only one in my family who has an Ebay account; actually not too many of my friends do either. What I do is bid on items for them and they simply reimburse me. My email was getting hammered on "outside of Ebay offers" and mailing lists that I was placed on. Since the block on the id's, I receive nothing and it is actually pretty nice.

I can understand your viewpoint but take it from someone who has bid on items from Aaron to Zsa Zsa Gabor (don't even ask), it's been great.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Matt Wieder

Just to add to what Leon said - where we're at right now is that we certainly will show all bidder IDs once the auction is over so there can be transparency. The question comes down to do we also show them to everyone while the listing is live. As Leon and I plan to be vigilant in monitoring the site, there should be no need to contact a bidder to let him know he's bidding on a fraudulent item - contact us and we'll take care of it.

As Leon said, we're still mulling this one over though...
Old 01-19-2010, 01:32 PM
D.B. Cooper

mcap,

But wouldn't having an email ID that bears no similarity to your email address accomplish the same thing?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Tim

Not showing the bidder ID's during the auction protects the seller, showing them after protects the buyer.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:00 PM
pete ullman

to be devils advocate...there may be occasions where you keep upping your bid so a specific buyer doesn't win...which will benefit the seller...and one's spite index!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default hey Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
to be devils advocate...there may be occasions where you keep upping your bid so a specific buyer doesn't win...which will benefit the seller...and one's spite index!
Hey Peter
I think that can easily happen with not knowing the bidders ID's too ala most of the premium auction houses s/w. I can't say how many times I have kept freaking clicking and bidding and have never gotten to the high bid. At the end of the day there will be decisions we make that we feel are better than others, but rarely, if ever, will they be perfect.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Not just idle curiosity, I used to refrain from bidding against a couple of firends from 54 and they returned the favor.....

Reverse shilling.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I buy cards out of spite on a regular basis, especially from auction houses. I had one of these purchases make the board as a "this is rediculous" thread and I am 100% confident that I wasn't shilled, although at the time I didn't know the identity of the opposite bidder.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Robert Williams

Yea..not bidding on items to artificially keep the bids down is called BID RIGGING. It is just as wrong as bid shilling and should not be allowed....
Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Bob M

i do miss the good ole days on ebay and the good ole days in so many categories!!!
we must be getting old.
best,
barry
Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 PM

Default Wtf...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Yea..not bidding on items to artificially keep the bids down is called BID RIGGING. It is just as wrong as bid shilling and should not be allowed....
You must be joking.

So it's wrong that my closest friends and I (all of us collect TYPE I photos) discuss prior to an auction which photos we're interested in?

If two or more of us want a particular image, we simply take turns and go in order rather then compete against each other.

We have also in the past purchased a number of photos on ebay as a joint venture and twice a year, we conducted a draft in order to split them up fairly.

How is what we do anywhere related to shill bidding?!

Not to mention, if we just went against each other, that will put an incredible burden on our friendships (or anyones for that matter).

I guess if your a dealer you might think badly of it as you think you're entitled to more money for your goods, but any seller with a fair amount of common sense knows that in the long run, he's much better off with the buyers doing as we wish.

Also of note, this might be another reason that the ebay BIN's are so high. So parties interested can negotiate on an individual basis. E.g. my friends and I have never gone partners on BIN auctions. Whoever wants it, buys it.

Regardless, I strongly disagree and resent your statement of lumping us in with shill bidding.

Sincerely, Jimmy
Old 01-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't miss the spite-shilling and public disclosures at all but I do miss the categories.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default added thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
You must be joking.

So it's wrong that my closest friends and I (all of us collect TYPE I photos) discuss prior to an auction which photos we're interested in?

If two or more of us want a particular image, we simply take turns and go in order rather then compete against each other.

We have also in the past purchased a number of photos on ebay as a joint venture and twice a year, we conducted a draft in order to split them up fairly.

How is what we do anywhere related to shill bidding?!

Not to mention, if we just went against each other, that will put an incredible burden on our friendships (or anyones for that matter).

I guess if your a dealer you might think badly of it as you think you're entitled to more money for your goods, but any seller with a fair amount of common sense knows that in the long run, he's much better off with the buyers doing as we wish.

Also of note, this might be another reason that the ebay BIN's are so high. So parties interested can negotiate on an individual basis. E.g. my friends and I have never gone partners on BIN auctions. Whoever wants it, buys it.

Regardless, I strongly disagree and resent your statement of lumping us in with shill bidding.

Sincerely, Jimmy
I wouldn't call the friendships of folks, and their discussions to lay off of things, shilling or rigging. Those are harsh terms. I would politely say it does hold a price down a bit and that is just the way hobbies are. That being said we (Matt and I) need to make the experience for sellers AND buyers as good as possible. Everything Matt and I do will be with keeping those 2 things in mind. Not one, not the other, but both. Believe me, as a passionate collector I am not immune from asking a friend to lay off of something that I gotta have. Just being honest here.....

Last edited by Leon; 01-20-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Todd Schultz

Default not trying to stir up the pot

but deliberately laying off an item so that someone else can win is indeed a form of bid rigging. More particularly it is bid suppression, and can also be called bid rotation, but these latter terms are just forms of bid rigging. It might be hard to prove and I wouldn't expect law enforcement to come down on you for a few instances of it in collectibles auctions of modest dollar items, but it is what it is. Just as a buyer should expect to pay only a truly competitive price for an item, a seller should expect to receive a truly competitive price also.

It's a difficult issue you face Leon, as to whether/how to show bids, but I like the idea of posting all actual bids and bidders only AFTER the auction is complete.

Best of luck on the venture, by the way.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default diplomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
but deliberately laying off an item so that someone else can win is indeed a form of bid rigging. More particularly it is bid suppression, and can also be called bid rotation, but these latter terms are just forms of bid rigging. It might be hard to prove and I wouldn't expect law enforcement to come down on you for a few instances of it in collectibles auctions of modest dollar items, but it is what it is. Just as a buyer should expect to pay only a truly competitive price for an item, a seller should expect to receive a truly competitive price also.

It's a difficult issue you face Leon, as to whether/how to show bids, but I like the idea of posting all actual bids and bidders only AFTER the auction is complete.

Best of luck on the venture, by the way.
Todd- of course it is what it is, but like I said, those terms sound so harsh . Thanks for the well wishes.