NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2015, 01:30 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Default Help ID-ing 2 Uncut Strips

Hi strip card experts! I had a surprise earlier today. I was staring at a large box full of a lot of my cards (Gallo Hearty Burgundy if you must know). I've had this box since the 60s. So, I notice something written by a marker, in my childhood hand: "Look in seam". Now, the box once contained half gallons, and the dividers and pretty thick. Between the dividers and the side of the box, I remove these two uncut strips! One is baseball players and the other assorted sports. I am shocked! I don't recall ever purchasing them. but I guess I must have just put them away and forgotten. As you can tell, this box survived a basement flood.

I only have a modicum of strip card knowledge, so...era? circa? manufacturer?, value. etc. I'm so excited by don't want to get ahead of myself. There are ten cards to each strip. The images are shown diagonally across my scanner plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StripBaseball.jpg (76.7 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg StripAsstSports.jpg (77.1 KB, 177 views)
Old 08-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Brad

Default 1919 w552

Hi Paul -
I am certainly not a strip card expert, but I do happen to have the same baseball strip you have. It's from 1919. Mine is also 10 players, with the "pitcher" being misspelled (as it is on yours). I believe it also comes in a 12-card version. The player poses and the colors used on the 10-card strip are different than the ones on the 12-card strip.

I purchased mine a few years ago and put it in a frame in my office. Mine is in very nice condition and I think I paid around $75-80.

Hope that helps a little,
Brad

Edited to add: It was always puzzling to me that five of the six position players on this 10-card strip are left-handed (I'm not counting the pitcher, base runner or two batters). Especially the catcher and both shortstops (?). I'm guessing that the artist was not a baseball fan. Kind of like baseball artwork that you see sometimes where home plate is backwards.

Last edited by BradH; 08-15-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:25 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Hey thanks, Brad! That's more info than I thought I might get. I was having some trouble placing the uniforms close to a specific year...and that font! All the best, Paul

Last edited by Paul S; 08-15-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default W542

Neat story. Thanks for sharing. I think many of us have had a story like that and it's always great to find stuff we didn't know we have.

I have the other strip classified as W542. As Brad stated, nominal monetary value but can have great other value. (as I was reminded concerning Large Ass Herzog when he was MIA for a while)...About W542 Burdick said they were "Sports Drawings(10 seen) 1 1/2 x 2 5/8 anon. ... .04"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Hey thanks, Brad! That's more info than I thought I might get. I was having some trouble placing the uniforms close to a specific year...and that font! All the best, Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pw542sportsdrawingscatcher.jpg (39.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 08-16-2015, 10:16 AM
Brad

Default An old discussion

Here's a Net54 link from 2006 (with later discussion from 2011) regarding these cards. Some of the images have been removed or are not available, but it sounds as if the discussion was about the 12-card strip and maybe even a 15-card strip(?).

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=80354

It's interesting to note the speculation about who some of the cards are modeled after.