NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Union?

I have been to an AC show WAY back when and I just remember that Union workers controlled what went into the show and when. They had to cart it in for you and I think they expected tips?

Please someone correct me if I'm off base as this was way back in High School and I worked for a dealer that did a big AC show and that sticks in my mind as being a bit uncomfortable since we could not bring our own stuff in. Union controlled the movements.

Has this changed?

Mike
Old 08-04-2015, 04:21 PM

As always, I will be close to the front door at booth 451. I have done all three of the New Jersey Nationals and have done decently at all of them. The same collectors make it to all of the Nationals for the largest selection of sports card merchandise every year. I don't expect that to change next year. I plan on making a large display of non sports and sports cards -- cards, unopened packs, boxes. empty boxes and uncut card sheets. I am on the prowl for more of the same so keep me in mind.

I plan on having a terrific show, and hope that many of the people who are considering not attending will change their mind. It is to their advantage to show up and see what we all have found during the current year. I am always on the search for new items. Don't miss out just because you have a bad feeling about A.C. If you put up a great display, you will do fine. The last 33 years of setting up at Nationals speak for themselves.

Thanks for making Chicago another great year for Mitch and me.

Steve Sabow
DynamicTwo@aol.com
914-522-3853 (Cell)
Old 08-04-2015, 04:24 PM
Bry@n

I hope that Johnny V's table is next to the Topps guys, I am dying to see which one will be louder.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I can't wait. I will be there for at least 3 of the days and am looking forward to the Net54 dinner.

Jeff
Old 08-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I hope that Johnny V's table is next to the Topps guys, I am dying to see which one will be louder.

Now that was funny.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:14 PM

No chance I go. AC is a dump. Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to go to that location or think it will be more successful than Cleveland. As far as I'm concerned, they might as well cancel the Nationals next year.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I will go and if Yankees are at Home or in Baltimore I will be happy to organize a small (20-50 folks) outing to the game (not on net 54 dinner night) for those who still enjoy going to a live playing of the best game ever invented. one thing A/C has is Lots of nice Buses. And one thing the AL east has is great Baseball.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:30 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Sounds like too much work Rich, someone just tell me what to do.
Go. You can gamble there as well. Hopefully they approve sports betting by next summer.

I'm going for the full week, renting a place at the beach (Ocean City) and bringing the family.

Last edited by Jaybird; 08-04-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Definitely going - it will be my first National.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 08-04-2015, 06:21 PM

There was a vote for the 2016 National between Anaheim and Atlantic City. Many of the dealers voted Atlantic City (which won the vote of course) since the dealers didn't want the west coast site. The reason Atlantic City was even considered in this last vote was because basically the National show promoters will pay next to nothing for the Atlantic City convention center for next years National. The 2003 National was horrible for dealers according to what most of the dealers honestly said. But, they were willing to try it again.

I personally think the Atlantic City show will be a total disaster, for a variety of reasons, many logistical. Most west coast collectors will not attend, so that will eliminate a lot of those collectors. I guess the one good thing is that most New Yorkers and Philly guys who went to the Baltimore shows by car or train, will definately drive or take a train to the Atlantic City show. So, the show will look very similar to the Baltimore National in terms of attendees.

I plan to be there the entire time.

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 08-04-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Chris

Default Too lazy

Long drive and too cheap to fly. I'll pass on the 2016.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Bob McLean

I initially thought about skipping next year, but changed my mind while at the Chicago show. I will be set up at table 153 in AC.

If this is as successful as the Baltimore and Cleveland venues were I will be one happy camper. I don't do this for a living like some do, so there is no pressure to sell X amount of dollars worth of material.

Haven't been in New Jersey since I was in the Navy and we off loaded ammunition at the Earl, NJ pier prior to decommissioning the USS Wasp in 1972.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:03 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I'm going with a jersey friend, going to hit the craps tables. He said I'm on my own for the baseball cards.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

AC is a terrible choice for a National. Even if you're in Philadelphia or New York, it's a 2-hour commute; from anywhere else, it's a full day trip. And then you're in AC.

I griped on another thread about how badly this event is run. If you need proof, this location is it. The guys running this event have become greedy and clueless.

Bill

Last edited by bcornell; 08-04-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

AC is about a five hour drive from where I live. If I can get the time off of work I'll definitely be there.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Phil Garry

Well, I moved from NJ to Florida in the middle of 2015, just in time for the National to come to AC in 2016. I won't bother making the trip, things should have worked out better for me to have stayed in NJ..........
Old 08-04-2015, 07:52 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
I will probably still go but picking a city that you cannot even directly fly into seems pretty silly to me.

Not looking forward to a flight and then driving to get to Atlantic City. Also, I would never go there if it wasn't for the show.
You guys do know that there is an airport in A.C., right?

I just checked. I can fly from Fort Lauderdale nonstop to AC for $176 roundtrip.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 08-04-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 PM

Default you guys are nuts!

AC will be great! just show up!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:06 PM

Default National

It seems all the people that are happy live on the East coast.
To be quite honest, I think its a shame it isn't centrally located
so its at least located where more people can get to it in a reasonable
time.
It seems short sited to place it on either coast. But then, you have all
these people that say they will be going, so maybe they will make up
for the people that won't???
Old 08-04-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
St. Louis, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Phoenix, Denver, etc are just a few places that I can think of which might serve as good venues....bright, sunny places with baseball teams (mostly) I realize some of these places have hosted a few years back.
Hey Robert. My first National was at Atlanta, Georgia in 1992, and it was a cool show. Not a bad place to go and then can see the Braves play. Not sure why avoidance of the south.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:31 PM
pariah1107

Apparently to organizers of "The National", baseball card collecting does not exist west of the Mississippi. No Nationals nearby through 2019..... Did Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, or Seattle run out of convention spaces available? Oh well, rather go to the twice annual WSSCA show anyway! No loudspeakers, other than the raised voices of excited collectors
Old 08-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I was at a mid size show two weeks ago in Raleigh NC. A lot of the dealers there were headed to Chicago for the National as soon as it was over. In talking to them I didn't find one dealer there who is a fixture at selling at the National that plans on going to Atlantic City next year. One dealer said it will be the first one he will miss since he started setting up and selling 22 years ago. The reasons? No good flights (as mentioned), terrible family city, poor security during last one, tables way too expensive when the promoters got a "steal on the venue", expensive accommodations, etc.
I've never been to a National but would love to cast my vote to bring it down south for all us neglected collectors.
Drew

Last edited by almostdone; 08-04-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:43 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

How far out is the National 's location decided? Do we know yet where it will be held in 2017?
Old 08-04-2015, 08:49 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
Hey Robert. My first National was at Atlanta, Georgia in 1992, and it was a cool show. Not a bad place to go and then can see the Braves play. Not sure why avoidance of the south.
I would love to see it a little further south of course, just like those close to NJ are pleased about AC. I wish it were rotated in some of the cities I suggested (which would give folks in all parts of the country home field advantage every once in awhile ) from year to year or located in the same central location every year.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:51 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
How far out is the National 's location decided? Do we know yet where it will be held in 2017?
Chicago
Old 08-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Brandon Bailey

Will definitely be there, the National is what you make it, it stinks there is no Major League Baseball team there but otherwise if you are going for the show you will love it.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:53 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Thanks, that's a while away but I hope to be there!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:54 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Apparently to organizers of "The National", baseball card collecting does not exist west of the Mississippi. No Nationals nearby through 2019..... Did Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, or Seattle run out of convention spaces available? Oh well, rather go to the twice annual WSSCA show anyway! No loudspeakers, other than the raised voices of excited collectors

Here's why... 50% of the U.S. population lives within 500 miles of Columbus Ohio. That's why there's the general alternating between Chicago and Cleveland... And why the west coast won't (regularly) get it.
http://homes-columbus.com/2012/03/7-...columbus-ohio/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2015, 09:08 PM
pariah1107

Thanks Erick, great info. I did not realize Ohio was the center of the universe
Old 08-04-2015, 09:10 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I will most likely go because it is the national and all. I live in New Jersey and can find very few reasons to make the two hour drive to AC. Ever. Absolute hole of a town. Makes Camden look like Sesame Street.

Tom C
Old 08-04-2015, 09:25 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I will most likely go because it is the national and all. I live in New Jersey and can find very few reasons to make the two hour drive to AC. Ever. Absolute hole of a town. Makes Camden look like Sesame Street.

Tom C
Come on Tom ....Just stay away from Baltic, Mediterranean, Vermont and Oriental Aves. You've played Monopoly......
Old 08-04-2015, 09:29 PM

The short version is that the National will rotate forever between Chicago & Cleveland with another city thrown in once every 3 or 4 years. Next year for Atlantic City is that "another city". The National hasn't confirmed any other "another city" yet.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Steve

Drew pointed this out, but AC is definitely not family friendly. The show promoters should be doing everything they can to promote card collecting to families and young children. Hosting the show in a rundown, unsafe city is not putting them in a position to be successful in doing so.

I will be attending, but I would much rather go to any of the other cities recommended in this thread. (Vegas, Seattle, etc...and I live on the east coast!)

Steve
Old 08-04-2015, 10:06 PM

I'll be taking the train ..... can't get easier that that .
Ken
Old 08-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Ken McMillan

I would definitely vote for a West Coast venue. San Diego, Los Angeles, Vegas, Phoenix all would be awesome. Atlantic City, not so much. I have been to Downtown Chicago in the late 80's, Rosemont, and Cleveland so why not one on the West coast. San Diego has Comic Con so why not the national? My 2 cents worth.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:06 PM
Kevin

Default NSCC locations

As far as I know this information is 100% correct. If I'm wrong don't hesitate to speak up.

There have been 36 Nationals to date in 13 different cities.

National Sports Collectors Convention locations:

(the numbers in parenthesis indicate the number of times that that city has held the National to that date)
  1. 1980 Los Angeles, California
  2. 1981 Detroit, Michigan
  3. 1982 St. Louis, Missouri
  4. 1983 Chicago, Illinois
  5. 1984 Parsippany, New Jersey
  6. 1985 Anaheim, California
  7. 1986 Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
  8. 1987 San Francisco, California
  9. 1988 Atlantic City, New Jersey
  10. 1989 Chicago, Illinois (2)
  11. 1990 Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas (2)
  12. 1991 Anaheim, California (2)
  13. 1992 Atlanta, Georgia
  14. 1993 Chicago, Illinois (3)
  15. 1994 Houston, Texas
  16. 1995 St. Louis, Missouri (2)
  17. 1996 Anaheim, California (3)
  18. 1997 Cleveland, Ohio
  19. 1998 Chicago, Illinois (4)
  20. 1999 Atlanta, Georgia (2)
  21. 2000 Anaheim, California (4)
  22. 2001 Cleveland, Ohio (2)
  23. 2002 Chicago, Illinois (5)
  24. 2003 Atlantic City, New Jersey (2)
  25. 2004 Cleveland, Ohio (3)
  26. 2005 Chicago, Illinois (6)
  27. 2006 Anaheim, California (5)
  28. 2007 Cleveland, Ohio (4)
  29. 2008 Chicago, Illinois (7)
  30. 2009 Cleveland, Ohio (5)
  31. 2010 Baltimore, Maryland
  32. 2011 Chicago, Illinois (8)
  33. 2012 Baltimore, Maryland (2)
  34. 2013 Chicago, Illinois (9)
  35. 2014 Cleveland, Ohio (6)
  36. 2015 Chicago, Illinois (10)

37. 2016 Atlantic City, New Jersey (3)
  38. 2017 Chicago, Illinois (11)
  39. 2018 Cleveland, Ohio (7)
  40. 2019 Chicago, Illinois (12)
  41. 2020 Cleveland, Ohio (8)

Totals to date:

Chicago (10)
Cleveland (6)
Anaheim (5)
Atlantic City (2)
St. Louis (2)
Dallas-Fort Worth (2)
Atlanta (2)
Baltimore (2)
Los Angeles (1)
Detroit (1)
Parsippany (1)
San Francisco (1)
Houston (1)

----------

Mid West (19)
West Coast (7)
East Coast (5)
South (5)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg national map.jpg (63.4 KB, 440 views)

Wanted:
updated March 3, 2024
Detroit Tigers American Caramel & National Caramel

For sale or trade
updated October 24, 2018
Old 08-04-2015, 11:10 PM

Cool research, Kevin. The first 20-ish years of the show, exhibits great variety and a nice balance...I wish that was able to be maintained on an ongoing basis.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 08-04-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:30 PM
pariah1107

Great stats Kevin. I retract my earlier statement. Apparently they know some card collectors ARE west of the Mississippi but really don't care since 2006.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:27 AM

Thank you Kevin. You can see (except for 2006), around 2001 is when it stopped going anywhere west of Chicago.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:32 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I will be planning to attend next year in AC since it is only a 2 hour drive for me. Doing a quick check, the AC airport looks to have direct flights, at least seasonally, from both Chicago and Atlanta http://www.sjta.com/acairport/routes.asp and it looks like there is rail service from Philly to AC as well.

In addition, here is a list I put together of where the dealers from this year's national are from (taken from the NSCC website - http://nsccshow.com/images/2015%20Im...ist%207-22.pdf). From this list, it seems explainable to me why the National has been staying in the East/Mid.

East 92 - 29.3%
CT 7
DE 1
MA 4
MD 6
ME 2
NH 1
NJ 22
NY 28
PA 19
VT 2

Mid 100 - 31.9%
IA 4
IL 35
IN 9
KY 2
MI 13
MN 8
MO 8
OH 12
WI 9

North 6 - 1.9%
CAN 3
Cana 3

South 73 - 23.3%
AR 3
FL 20
GA 9
LA 1
NC 13
TN 5
TX 12
VA 10

West 43 - 13.7%
AZ 6
CA 18
CO 4
ID 1
KS 2
ND 1
NE 1
NM 1
NV 3
OK 3
OR 1
WA 2

Grand Total 314
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 08-05-2015, 05:32 AM

I was in AC back in 2003 and will be back again next year. Looking forward to it.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:37 AM
Mike Dugan

Several organizations I have been members of over the years use a East-Central-West-Central-East-Central-West rotation.

That way East and West members feel that they can make 2 out of every 3 conventions.

I would suggest Las Vegas as a West location, not many local dealers but very easy and inexpensive to fly to!
Old 08-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Family....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass_rat View Post
Drew pointed this out, but AC is definitely not family friendly. The show promoters should be doing everything they can to promote card collecting to families and young children. Hosting the show in a rundown, unsafe city is not putting them in a position to be successful in doing so.

I will be attending, but I would much rather go to any of the other cities recommended in this thread. (Vegas, Seattle, etc...and I live on the east coast!)

Steve
I have to disagree. I had a conference at the Taj Mahal a couple of years back and took my wife and kids along. They LOVED the beach right outside the back of the casino and spent 2 days enjoying the vast amount of sand and the ocean. They also enjoyed the boardwalk, the arcades, and the variety of food on the boardwalk. I had 1 day off and we all went to the Aquarium which was a blast. To your point about safety, I do agree there. I made sure we stayed in a nice hotel near the beach and I even went so far as to recon the route my family took each day as there are certain areas to avoid but those are very self explanatory once you get there. With a little common sense, healthy precaution, your family can have a good, safe time in AC. In a way, it is like Baltimore, stay in a certian section (wharf/Camden Yards area) and you will have a blast. Venture out too far and your protective sixth sense kicks into overdrive! As always, common sense always rules the day wherever you are.

Mike

PS Most folks think Orlando, Florida is the safest family destination around when in fact, the FBI has concluded recently that Orlando is the second most dangerous city in all of Florida for crimes against. It is a crazy world we live in!

Last edited by vthobby; 08-05-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:06 AM

I just don't think AC will be a successful National. One important thing is that many guys want to see a MLB game while at the National. That works in Cleveland, Chicago, Baltimore and other places. Can't do it easily in AC.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:15 AM
Charlie

I missed the last one in AC due to work but definitely plan on making the looong hike over this time around
Old 08-05-2015, 07:15 AM

If you want to catch a game Philly is only an hour away.

Last edited by packs; 08-05-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:47 AM
Chris W

Are the dates set for the show?
Old 08-05-2015, 07:48 AM

Default AC can be great

I went in 2003. It was my first National. Loved it!

The Borgata had just opened a month earlier, so I stayed there with my wife and then 2-month old daughter. I did the show one day and didn't drive (shuttle). Next day, my wife did the spa and I watched my child. Yes, casino was a nice touch, too, but briefly for me.

Beach right there. Boardwalk. Phillies not far away. Lakewood and Camden have minor league teams. Family friendly can't just be "put them in a big city". Kids don't enjoy a whole lot of that - the novelty wears off quickly. Plus, cities are expensive. I know AC is in NJ, but relatively cheaper than going to Chicago.

Casino concerns? Hasn't seemed to stop those from going to Valley Forge (Philly/Ft. Washington show). Casino walking distance to convention center.

I haven't been to a National since 2003. I can't justify to the wife the cost of airfare and hotel versus more cards bought online and staying home. I'll be in AC!
Old 08-05-2015, 07:50 AM
B.ob L.amb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
I have to disagree. I had a conference at the Taj Mahal a couple of years back and took my wife and kids along. They LOVED the beach right outside the back of the casino and spent 2 days enjoying the vast amount of sand and the ocean. They also enjoyed the boardwalk, the arcades, and the variety of food on the boardwalk. I had 1 day off and we all went to the Aquarium which was a blast. To your point about safety, I do agree there. I made sure we stayed in a nice hotel near the beach and I even went so far as to recon the route my family took each day as there are certain areas to avoid but those are very self explanatory once you get there. With a little common sense, healthy precaution, your family can have a good, safe time in AC. In a way, it is like Baltimore, stay in a certian section (wharf/Camden Yards area) and you will have a blast. Venture out too far and your protective sixth sense kicks into overdrive! As always, common sense always rules the day wherever you are.

Mike

PS Most folks think Orlando, Florida is the safest family destination around when in fact, the FBI has concluded recently that Orlando is the second most dangerous city in all of Florida for crimes against. It is a crazy world we live in!
I plan to stay at one of the casino hotels which are much safer than the dumps on the outskirts of the city. They have a bus system in AC called the Jitney which goes all around AC which I have found safe in the past. Not 100% sure if it goes to the convention center but I would think it does.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:15 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Here's Mike Berkus in a 2013 Beckett interview.

Beckett: Why isn’t the National on the West Coast?

Mike Berkus: Because no facility will have us. You can put that in the headline and I hope the facilities read it. I would like to have $20 for every hour I spend calling them or being in meetings with them. No one will have us if we want to plan it more than two years out.

Last edited by peterose4hof; 08-05-2015 at 08:15 AM.