NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-08-2014, 10:04 AM

Default T206 Obsession

I have been a member of the boards for almost a year now and just really started to collect the T206s. I cannot believe how addicting this is. I have a long way to go in terms of getting anywhere close to completing a set but I wanted to know how many cards are people buying a month? How long have you been tackling the set, etc. I know budgets play a big role, but just wanted to get a sense of how people are doing it (and keeping the purchases away from the wife finding out haha)

Thanks. Ray
Old 02-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Alex

Depends on the month. Anywhere from 0-10. Mostly a factor of money and what's available. If I have learned anything it is patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
Depends on the month. Anywhere from 0-10. Mostly a factor of money and what's available. If I have learned anything it is patience.

Patience is the key word. Like most of us, your budget will only allow you to buy so much at a time or in a period of time. I don't set goals right now because I have no idea what will come my way. If I see a card I like and can afford, I buy it. I don't see any reason to push the issue. There are times I will buy five 206's in a week then buy none the next two. I base my collecting primarily on opportunity. Most of us have a collecting preference, so we stay primarily inside those guidelines. So IMO there isn't a set amount I buy at any given time. I have collected roughly 170-t206's in three years...but my first year I think I grabbed around 80. I believe I will be able to complete this set within 10 years of first starting it. If I don't, then no big deal...every time I get a new one in a mail, I admire it like the rest.

Remember that it's the journey that is usually the best part, not the finish

1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Sebastian

I just started two weeks ago and am now up to 13 , only one Hof ,as a college student its tight but funds permitting i can buy min 5 cards a month i focus on mid to low grade raws so the hit on my wallet isnt huge but as i said im really new in this and will probably have to set a monthly max limit or risk going under
Old 02-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Alex

I think 10 years is a good goal.

SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 02-08-2014, 11:05 AM
Jon L

Just over a year in and recently hit 270. It's all relative to what your budget vs expected condition is. There have been months where I have bought 30+, others where I have bought zero. I look for very poor cards so my collection has grown fairly quickly.

Last edited by jlehma13; 02-08-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:34 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

I would suggest (not always easy to do) to set aside a few hundred $$ and wait. Good deals always come around and you don't want to miss them. Could be a rare back or any tougher card. Especially lots of 20+ cards. With some $$ set aside, you'll be ready when the time comes.

Last edited by jp1216; 02-08-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Dan. M

Default Obsession

Seven month since I picked up my first card...wife has still not picked up on the missing funds. I only show her good deals.I guess about 4-8 cards a month. I collect cards but this is different, special. These aren't cards, their art, their history. The pictures are beautiful and the stories is what really grabbed me. My spending comes in waves like everyone else but I am not after the number I am after the best quality for what I can afford and what I'm interest in. My goal is to not spend more than my mortgage a month and get ready for a long ride so I don't finish fast with a poor quality sub set. Also really liking this site because no one I know collects t206. Your stories and others let me know I'm not losing my shit.

Bit by The Monster
Old 02-08-2014, 01:36 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Took me about three years once I got started, but I was benefited by a couple of things...I had about 150 when I decided to give it a shot, mostly due to a buy I made in the 80s of 100 for $100. I was mostly looking for low grade...I continue to upgrade, and I parted with a card I really didn't want to trade to get about 50 I needed in one shot without a cash outlay. I'm at 520 now....will probably eventually make a play to get to 522.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Matt

I bought my first T206 at the end of November 2013 and now I am at 38, all of which are HOF's. I decided to tackle the HOFs first then assess where to go from there. I plan on putting them all in a binder when I am done but for now they are in cardsaver II's or graded. I have a budget set for each card and have yet to come close to going over.

Matt

Successful transactions with: Wildfireschulte, bengineno9, Davids resale shop, dougcats, wcsportscards, Bryan Long, Moonlight Graham, sycks22, Set Builder, itjclarke, mybuddyinc x 2, Double-P-Enterprises, Michael McGuffin, sebie43, T2069bk, JollyRoger, LukeLyon x 2, drjdog5150, Beatles Guy, GehrigFan, piecesofthegame, AddieJoss, Marty, HOF Yankees, FrankWakefield, Tim Fritz, vcuono, T206blogcom, btcarfagno x 3, Bleedinblue, Tolstoi, brewing
Old 02-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post
I would suggest (not always easy to do) to set aside a few hundred $$ and wait. Good deals always come around and you don't want to miss them. Could be a rare back or any tougher card. Especially lots of 20+ cards. With some $$ set aside, you'll be ready when the time comes.
+1. You always want to be ready when there's a card that you really want at a price that is reasonable. In tracking my progress, I keep a current top ten list of cards that I really want to pick up. They don't have to be rare or HOF'ers, just cards that for whatever reason you want to add to your collection the most. That helps me decide when to jump in on a card. I started back up (after getting to 276 from the 1980's to 2003) in April 2011 and I'm now at 387. I'm looking for SGC 20-50 or raw equivalents, with a few PSA's scattered in there. It is definitely an addiction!

Best of luck,

Steve
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 AM

Default Rayl....

I am also obsessed with T206 I have been collecting these since approx. 1998-1999.....I became obsessed with the print freaks early on, with a focus on the printer's scraps (hand cut, non issued test sheets from original printer).....my ultimate dream is to own a Wagner one day....

anyway, I literally do not buy nice cars or treat myself as much, since I love to buy T206 freaks and they are a lot of coin sometimes ...some say I'm crazy with my cards, but who cares....one day i'll have my Wagner and all the sacrifice will be worth it....

anyway, my point, do what makes yourself happy......these cards literally make me feel better, it's weird but true.....when I'm feeling down, i'll try to aquire a new scrap/rare back card or two.....

add what you can when you can.....worst case scenario is you'd have to sell them, but that's very tough for me at least everyone who knows me, knows I hardly ever sell, almost never, I become attached to them obsessively... will trade on an occasion though....and 100% of the time for another card......

anyway....enjoy the ride my friend! I'm here for advice....email me anytime, if I don't know, I 'll find out for you

peace

Johnny V
Old 02-09-2014, 07:18 AM
pete ullman

don't worry...the urges will fade over time...until someday...you won't be able to even look at t206's!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Sebastian

What are your opinions on card soaking? I understand its a controversial topic, does anybody soak? is it worth it? I came across a youtube video that got me curious on the this
Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 AM
Alex

I don't have a problem with it. My collection is for fun and not resell.

SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 02-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
don't worry...the urges will fade over time...until someday...you won't be able to even look at t206's!
Blasphemy!! There are always Johnny's favorites .

and to answer the question at hand. Each person collects differently and you should do what YOU enjoy most. Don't worry about others....(in that respect)

Last edited by Leon; 02-10-2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: change scan
Old 02-10-2014, 07:38 PM

Default Leon.....

that dissection is insane! I still have palpatations please sell me / trade that one day

btw Leon....I have a cousin to your Multi.....it's a card that was in the same lot(from Nemo's in N.Y.C.)........I bought it from the same seller, same lot! same time.....I saved the original Ebay invoice from 1998....

Mclean Scrap(original seller described the card as "being cut from the sheet from someone who must have been drinking beer") ....
Old 02-10-2014, 07:47 PM

Default from nemo's....

for you Leon.....the multi strike "cousin"....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcbacks 041.jpg (67.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg mcbacks 042.jpg (70.2 KB, 141 views)
Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Very interesting Johnny..Thanks for showing the McLean. I had to go back and change the dissection i posted to the final one. It has the final yellow pass. Chris (hey Chris) is a genius at this stuff.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 PM

Default Leon.....

Thank You! and yes, Chris is a master with that stuff

That Nemo story is very cool.....

there must have been a few more scraps in there besides Mclean and Mullaney

ALC was in the neighborhood...

and Mclean is def. scrapper

Last edited by mrvster; 02-10-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Remember that it's the journey that is usually the best part, not the finish
This quote should be the default signature for everybody

Seriously a great quote, completely agree. There always gonna be that "empty" feeling when the chase is over....
Old 02-11-2014, 12:27 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Obsession is one way of putting it my wife calls it more of an addiction that I should seek help for.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 AM
Clayton

I have the obsession also, as you can see you are not alone

I am going for as much of the set as possible, so picking up a common is just as exciting to me as picking up a HOF'er. It's taken me around 7 years just to break the 100 mark-mainly because of money issues and condition issues-I want an average condition of VG to VG-EX. But, I will take a lower graded card if the eye appeal is right.

Mike (freakhappy)is right about being patient, that is the truth! There's no race, so enjoy the ride And collect how you want, it's all about whatever makes you happy.

Good luck hunting

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 02-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Brent

Hi, my name is Brenton and I'm an addict....

I try to pick up around 2 a month but it always fluctuates. I started in January 2013 and currently own about 30 t206 cards. I have bought from here, ebay and levi bleam. It has been an interesting journey so far.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:09 AM

It took me 20 years, on and off, to complete the set. I was not actively collecting it about half of that time. I tended to buy in lots of 5-30 when possible, though I picked up tough backs whenever I saw them along the way.
JimB
Old 02-11-2014, 10:20 AM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

I've been collecting the set for almost a year now and at last count I'm at 93. I will say that the "obsession" has worn off a little. Staring off with T206's made sense when I first decided to collect Pre-War, but has now led to other interests (E121-80 and Pirate Pre-War Types). I still plan on attempting to build the set, although I doubt I'll ever finish and don't have any goal as to when I plan to do so. I'll continue to look for cards in the Fair-VG (1.5-3.5) range with good eye appeal while concentrating on HOFers, SLers, and mid-rare backs (EPDG's, Tolstoi's, and AB's). At least that's the plan for now. The "thrill" of scoring a card that meets my criteria has been the most fun and I follow Mike C's advice about patience. I also follow the advice of keeping extra funds saved in case the opportunity to purchase cards like these arise:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CyYoung.jpg (36.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg matty.jpg (77.5 KB, 66 views)

***I've had 50+ successful BST transactions as both a buyer and a seller. Please feel free to PM me for references***
Old 02-11-2014, 10:37 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

I'm pretty bad also and its not even the player so much as simply wanting more, more, more. Personally don't care if I've already got the card if I can buy a PSA 4 for $45 I buy them regardless. I just want to amass slabs!!!!! Did recently purchase a tougher higher dollar T206 though from a fellow board member about a week ago, a card I've wanted for 25 years, my wife says I haven't stopped smiling since we received it last week.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGuyTy View Post
This quote should be the default signature for everybody

Seriously a great quote, completely agree. There always gonna be that "empty" feeling when the chase is over....
Buddy, thanks for the kind words. I've heard similar words pertaining to other things, and I thought it applied to this hobby as well...it makes sense to me!

To me, it just doesn't matter to set goals because I have such a wide variety of cards/sets I collect...it would just make me concentrate on something too much and possibly miss out on a great opportunity. I just enjoy every card I get, so completing a set happens when it happens.

John, never get sick of seeing some of your amazing collection...they look so damn perfect!

Bob, where is the picture of that card that glued the smile on your face??
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Bob, where is the picture of that card that glued the smile on your face??
I am curious
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6