NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2018, 08:59 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
The person in Lewiston, Ill is Roger Till. He has been on ebay and amazon forever.
He has truckloads of bad stuff. On ebay he is vintagecollections1. He has also been olebbstuff.
A few years ago i bought some signed Sport Magazines off him. They were close, but not good under closer inspection. He refunded my money. Around the same time, another member here, Mike R, bought several signed mags from him including Maris, off Amazon. They were rejected when he asked Richard Simon to check them out. He was able to get his money back as well.

If you see someone selling autographs out of Lewiston, Ill, run very far very fast.

I am not saying he is the person behind the t206s, but there are multiple threads about him in Sportscollectors.net being a bad seller..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Gee Mark, thanks for reminding me...LOL. Yeah, I'll plead guilty to getting a little caught up in trying to fill a hole in my collection. I bought 3 magazines from that guy. The photos on the site were a bit small and I had to magnify them to get an idea if I should buy them or not. As Mark said, they were close enough that it was worth buying them and sending them off...but they were not good. Cost me the authentication cost and shipping, but I got my original money back from the seller...and received a refresher course in something I already knew, which is don't let your excitement for finding something cloud your judgement. Now, if the seller is from Lewiston, I don't even bother looking.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:08 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Sorry Mike for bringing up bad memories.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 12-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Sorry Mike for bringing up bad memories.
...but not sorry enough to sell me your Stengel or Alston Sport magazines, right? LOL
Old 12-05-2018, 09:19 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default T206 scandal

Here is how you "stem the tide" DONT BUY FROM HIM, EDUCATE YOURSELF & AS MANY COLLECTORS YOU CAN, and especially at a show in person...report him to the organizers as long as you have exemplar proof, squeaky wheels get heard. DO RESEARCH, get educated!!!!!

Last edited by painthistorian; 12-05-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:50 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
On another forum, someone stated he still sets up at the National. How can we hope to stem the tide of this stuff if someone who has been doing this as long as him can still set up at nationals?
In the past, when I was doing shows, he had been removed.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 12-05-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:04 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
...but not sorry enough to sell me your Stengel or Alston Sport magazines, right? LOL
nope.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 12-05-2018, 11:27 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
?Roger Till" -- In the past, when I was doing shows, he had been removed.
I ran into him at the Chicago show in May or June. Didn't know who he was until he introduced himself while I was standing at HIS table. I knew who he was from years back as I am from central Illinois. I pretty much ended the conversation at that point and didn't tell him who I was. He did say he sets up at the National and also gave me a flyer for a show he puts on at the Mall in Peoria, IL. Yes, he for sure is still in business. There were rumors floating around that Till had some type of machine that could forge signatures that were nearly impossible to detect. Again, those were only rumors and not sure if such a thing even exists.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:50 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
There were rumors floating around that Till had some type of machine that could forge signatures that were nearly impossible to detect. Again, those were only rumors and not sure if such a thing even exists.

Sounds like an autopen machine. They've been around for decades.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 12-06-2018, 12:27 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
Sounds like an autopen machine. They've been around for decades.

Steve
Yes, thank you. That is what it was called.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:51 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Autopen machines can be detected. There have been a couple of Panini scandals (Dak Prescott, Florida Georgia Line), plus Reese Witherspoon signed Barnes and Noble books this year.

2016 Panini Prizm - Rookie Autograph - Prizm #RA-DPS.2 - Dak Prescott (Autopen - No Sticker on Back) [Rerelease]
Courtesy of COMC.com

2014 Panini Country Music - Authentic Signatures - Blue #S-TH - Tyler Hubbard (Autopenned Signature) /149
Courtesy of COMC.com

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...1254399&page=2
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:14 AM
Albert Bee

Default forge

that's an incredibly good and true point regarding testing age of pen ink...can NOT be done by somebody sitting and looking at a card for 2 minutes
Old 12-06-2018, 06:09 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

“If you give an opinion of a person or company, your FULL name needs to be in the post”

Why does this seem to be so hard for some to understand. Apparently for the moderators this only applies to some people and some threads.

Last edited by Duluth Eskimo; 12-06-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:48 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
The person in Lewiston, Ill is Roger Till. He has been on ebay and amazon forever.
He has truckloads of bad stuff. On ebay he is vintagecollections1. He has also been olebbstuff.
A few years ago i bought some signed Sport Magazines off him. They were close, but not good under closer inspection. He refunded my money. Around the same time, another member here, Mike R, bought several signed mags from him including Maris, off Amazon. They were rejected when he asked Richard Simon to check them out. He was able to get his money back as well.

If you see someone selling autographs out of Lewiston, Ill, run very far very fast.

I am not saying he is the person behind the t206s, but there are multiple threads about him in Sportscollectors.net being a bad seller..

Has also used ebay ID "Prettything18"
Old 12-06-2018, 06:50 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

he has 2 '39 Play balls's as well, L Waner and Durocher neither of which sit right with me; but the Waner was just recently won in a Probstein auction - same cert #.

The winner of the Probstein auction was f***s(13,549) for $104.38 now for sale by Vitagecollections1(745) for $350

Last edited by phikappapsi; 12-06-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 AM
J0hn Collin$

Wow, so since I last looked at this thread yesterday we've apparently added forged Goudey's to the list. I must admit as much as this sucks it does make for some incredibly interesting reading...
Old 12-06-2018, 07:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
“If you give an opinion of a person or company, your FULL name needs to be in the post”

Why does this seem to be so hard for some to understand. Apparently for the moderators this only applies to some people and some threads.
It applies to everyone. Just PM me if you have an issue with someone saying something (you will stay anonymous) that needs their name by it and it will be done. I don't see every one or remember to do it every time. I hoped that having it in bold letters at the top of every page would be enough to warrant compliance but obviously not.

Last edited by Leon; 12-06-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:23 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Maybe 3 years ago I posted that I will never collect high end autographs because I believe they are way too easy to fake, and that some TPG waving a magic decoder ring over it for 2 minutes doesn't mean bupkiss to me. I have been involved in court proceedings where some of the nation's leading forensic experts have debated whether a signature on a legal document signed 20 years ago was genuine or a fraud. The idea that the market is not flooded with fake Ruth and Gehrigs and many others is impossible for me to imagine. We saw some of it recently with Mathewson signatures. It just isn't that hard folks.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:29 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Is that olebbstuff (13225) possibly f****f the guy is a known forger. Doubtful he'd be able to get his sub through a TPG, and probably has someone doing it for him.
F****F had more than 10k feedback and bought that original card from teri781. olebbstuff ( 13226) has several feedbacks from teri787.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:36 AM
Shawn England

Default Booth Photos

Not sure if this helps, but Carlton has several photos from his booth in 2013??

http://www.sportsantiques.com/2013natstory6.htm
Old 12-06-2018, 07:37 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
Starting to get very suspicious of signed Goudey cards

I think that's going to be the next bomb dropped
More than likely a series of carpet bombs....
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:17 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default National

Quote:
On another forum, someone stated he still sets up at the National. How can we hope to stem the tide of this stuff if someone who has been doing this as long as him can still set up at nationals?
The people who run the national don't care. 3-4 years ago I had an issue with one of the sellers at the national. I contacted the people who run the national, by email, about the crooked seller, but I never received a response.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:18 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Of side note, there is an advanced scientific test they use on ancient ceramics to test age, but they don't do it on porcelain due to its finish that shouldn't be damaged. Usually the only time it is done on porcelain is in insurance cases where the item is broken and they're authenticating it for monetary valuation.

However, for most valuable ancient ceramics, collectors and dealers have the test done and get a card giving the age. The test probably costs a few hundred dollars, but when you're talking about a thousands dollar item...

I suspect in the future, with some very valuable baseball item-- perhaps a trophy or something--, someone will have it carbon or other radiometric dated. As I said, I already know of one item that was, but that was for a court case.

Also of note, some of these tests are done by hobbyists, but they're most often done for historical reasons (academia, museums) or for court cases.

Last edited by drcy; 12-06-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Brian
Bri@n Yos.sef

Has anyone started examining signed 52T? It seems like these have begun flooding the market in recent years.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:18 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
F****F had more than 10k feedback and bought that original card from teri781. olebbstuff ( 13226) has several feedbacks from teri787.
Thinking about this more and we don't know absolutely that olebbstuff is the Marquard scammer, but the fact that olebbstuff is already associated with a forger and he has been allowed to continue is very worrisome. Then to top it off that it there is a high likely hood that he is associated with the signed t206 that started all of this is just horrible.

I am in disbelief of our entire legal system when known scammers are allowed to continue to operate (including Coach's Corner). It isn't like there isn't enough proof to build a case.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Don't be surprised; the rule in law enforcement seems to mirror the rule in local news: if it bleeds it leads. Of all the times I've tried to get prosecutors interested in blatant fraud or other white collar thievery I've only gotten one case off the ground. They prioritize violent crimes. White collar stuff, which often requires larger resources and substantial expertise to prove and often involves defendants with the resources to fight, is not as attractive to lower level prosecutors looking to feather their beds with high conviction rates and move up to elective office or a judgeship.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-06-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:18 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It applies to everyone. Just PM me if you have an issue with someone saying something (you will stay anonymous) that needs their name by it and it will be done. I don't see every one or remember to do it every time. I hoped that having it in bold letters at the top of every page would be enough to warrant compliance but obviously not.
Sorry if this pertained to me and it got some panties in a bunch. Sometimes you get so wrapped up in the reading you forget. I've updated my profile so my full name is in every post! Happy to be transparent to anyone.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

I haven't been on the forums much lately, but Paul mentioned it to me. Haven't read this thread yet.

I've spent well over six figures on signed cards lately (T206's, Goudeys) and I'm just incredibly f'ing sad. I know I have fakes, I'm scared to find out which ones.

It comes with the territory.

I honestly feel bad for the forger(s). To have to do this is just...I can't think of the right words

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 12-06-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:10 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

After this episode of hobby fraud it seems like the only signatures safe to collect are ones that you have personally gotten from the signer. I would bet that these forged signatures are not confined to lesser players. When the prize is bigger the forgers will be better. My guess is that there are plenty of Ruth and Gehrig signed cards out there that are forgeries, but have gotten certs. Who makes more-the forger or the authenticator? That will tell you who will do a better job.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:03 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Who makes more-the forger or the authenticator? That will tell you who will do a better job.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:07 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRand View Post
Very troubling issue. I love baseball and history... signed vintage cards are the perfect intersection of the two. I'm impressed by how members of this group have unraveled it and I hope whoever is behind it is brought to justice for the sake of the hobby.

Here is my collection. I believe both Doyles and the Snodgrass are from the 2007 Great Pittsburgh find, and perhaps the McBride too... in case anyone can help shed light on their authenticity.
Joe, I believe I sold you the McBride about 4-5 years ago and I had owned it for around a year and purchased it from a fellow board member who had had it for years. I am highly confident the signature is good.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal83 View Post
Has anyone started examining signed 52T? It seems like these have begun flooding the market in recent years.
I brought this up several days ago on this thread. I have bought and sold thousands of vintage signed cards over the past decade and have never seen such a big quantity of signed 1952 Topps as is out there now.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:52 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Hey Howard,

I saw your post on transactions and I would like to transition my logs into what you are doing so I can help for situations like this.

How are you keeping track of your transactions?

Regards,

Brent
Old 12-06-2018, 06:36 PM
Henry Levy

Default T206 Doyle

I recently won a T206 signed Larry Doyle batting, Lot 809 in Love of the Game Auctions. It was in a PSA/DNA Blue Label holder with an auto grade of Mint 9.
There was also an issue with another card, the Lake/Bender ghost image, authenticated by SGC, that a respected collector thought may be problematic
When the issue of fake T206 autographs started to blow up, Al Crisafulli of LOTG called me and said he was going to resubmit the card to PSA so they could look it over again in order to recertify it's authenticity, rather than just sending it out to me. He was also going to do the same thing with the SGC card.

Here is his email to me below about what transpired:

Hi Hank:

Hope all is well with you.

Just wanted to let you know the status of your items, as I heard back from PSA last night and SGC this morning.

1) PSA is not comfortable with the Doyle. The card was authenticated in 2013, as you know, and they had a different team of authenticators at that time. Their new team, Bill Corcoran and Kevin Keating, feel the signature is a forgery. As such, we are going to need to take that card out of the hobby. I will process a refund for your purchase price on that card right away.

2) On the other hand, SGC IS comfortable with the Lake/Bender. They reviewed it, they feel the same way about it that they did when they first assessed it, and so they’ve given it their blessing once again. They are returning it to me in a brand-new holder with their new flip, and I’ll send it your way ASAP with the rest of your order.

Thanks for being understanding about this. Obviously it’s very important to me that we do not contribute to fraud in this hobby in any way, and when something comes up like this, I think it’s critical to investigate it and get it right, every time.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Regards,
-Al

Al Crisafulli
Love of the Game Auctions
Old 12-06-2018, 06:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Al is and always has been a stand up guy, IMO.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:44 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Hank-Do you think this means that one of the two autographs was good, or that, even with two chances, SGC can't tell a bad signature from a good one? Who authenticates autographs for SGC?
Old 12-06-2018, 06:46 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Al is and always has been a stand up guy, IMO.

This is the proper handling of a bad situation. Also good to see PSA taking a new and obviously more critical look at these cards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
This is the proper handling of a bad situation. Also good to see PSA taking a new and obviously more critical look at these cards.

Greg agree on PSA, but what happens if they start decertifying a whole generation of autographed cards, it will cause utter chaos, no?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Greg agree on PSA, but what happens if they start decertifying a whole generation of autographed cards, it will cause utter chaos, no?

But isn’t that chaos what is needed? I mean, they need to get it right. Wouldn’t the hobby rather go through a time of chaos but at the end have it correct? To me, that seems like the right way to take it.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:56 PM
De.rek Gre.nce

Kudos to Al and PSA on that one 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
Old 12-06-2018, 06:59 PM
David Linardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank_jp View Post
I recently won a T206 signed Larry Doyle batting, Lot 809 in Love of the Game Auctions. It was in a PSA/DNA Blue Label holder with an auto grade of Mint 9.
There was also an issue with another card, the Lake/Bender ghost image, authenticated by SGC, that a respected collector thought may be problematic
When the issue of fake T206 autographs started to blow up, Al Crisafulli of LOTG called me and said he was going to resubmit the card to PSA so they could look it over again in order to recertify it's authenticity, rather than just sending it out to me. He was also going to do the same thing with the SGC card.

Here is his email to me below about what transpired:

Hi Hank:

Hope all is well with you.

Just wanted to let you know the status of your items, as I heard back from PSA last night and SGC this morning.

1) PSA is not comfortable with the Doyle. The card was authenticated in 2013, as you know, and they had a different team of authenticators at that time. Their new team, Bill Corcoran and Kevin Keating, feel the signature is a forgery. As such, we are going to need to take that card out of the hobby. I will process a refund for your purchase price on that card right away.

2) On the other hand, SGC IS comfortable with the Lake/Bender. They reviewed it, they feel the same way about it that they did when they first assessed it, and so they’ve given it their blessing once again. They are returning it to me in a brand-new holder with their new flip, and I’ll send it your way ASAP with the rest of your order.

Thanks for being understanding about this. Obviously it’s very important to me that we do not contribute to fraud in this hobby in any way, and when something comes up like this, I think it’s critical to investigate it and get it right, every time.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Regards,
-Al

Al Crisafulli
Love of the Game Auctions
Class act.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
But isn’t that chaos what is needed? I mean, they need to get it right. Wouldn’t the hobby rather go through a time of chaos but at the end have it correct? To me, that seems like the right way to take it.

I suppose it's better than the alternative, but it will very ugly if it happens on a large scale.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-06-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:04 PM
Banned

it's good to read that lotg once again acted responsibly in response to selling a bad card. last week we read that rea was preemptively issuing refunds. has anyone had experience with hunt and clean sweep as far as being made whole?
Old 12-06-2018, 07:06 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
I suppose it's better than the alternative, but it will very ugly if it happens on a large scale.

Agree on that. To call into question every autograph authenticated over the last XX number of years could get very ugly and would be a detriment to the hobby. This is a situation I would enjoy sitting down and talking about for a few hours over drinks with a group of collectors. I would love to hear the various opinions of how to handle this and move forward. The past is the past, now how do we move beyond this and make the hobby better.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Yeah, I really don't know. I only have a few autograph cards, the modern certified kind, so my opinion would mean much less than those of guys with big money invested in collections of these cards. I imagine that there's quite a lot of angst right now with collectors and TPG/TPA.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-06-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

I have some autographs. I have some Mantles and Williams and others that I had reviewed and approved by the board. I don’t have the funds to chase the high dollar signed T206 cards and I feel for the folks that have those and are now suffering from this scandal. It hurts my heart when I think about these assholes making money selling forgeries to good people. Don’t think there is a clean way out of this, but it is nice see some auction houses and authenticators doing the right thing.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:41 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

The Doyle was originally sold in the November 2013 Heritage Auction. Others were sold during that auction. Rucker, Wheat, etc.

https://sports.ha.com/c/search-resul...-Search-071515

Last edited by jad22; 12-06-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Cliff

Default refund

Clean Sweep has offered a full refund on the Marquard including my SGC grading/auth fees.

Thank You Steve!

Cliff
(the start of this whole mess)
T206 Back Set - 37/38
T227 Series of Champions Master Set 45/48
1948 Bowman - Baseball & Football (upgrading)
Old 12-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Banned

that's great to hear cliff.

anyone on hunt?
Old 12-06-2018, 07:57 PM
Michael

Hunts wants me to return my forged T206 Flick to have as evidence with the FBI. They have said nothing about issuing a refund yet but I assume it will be forthcoming. Kevin and Bill at PSA have been incredibly helpful since I have had more signed prewar cards evaluated by them then possibly anyone except maybe Paul. Most of mine are 10+ years in my safe and gotten from long term collectors. I know that doesnt guarantee anything. Most are Marquards, Wheat, or Crawford. No super valuable ones They questioned one or two and offered to take the rest back for extensive re-evaluation if necessary. This is just me but I never felt very comfotable with SGC. When they were starting I submitted 3 Callahans which I know were fine to them and they said they couldn't tell one way or the other and just returned them. Later Rich, Bill and kevin approved them. They were purchased from Ron Gordon many years ago who worked for PSA in the beginning along with Stinson who is probably enjoying not being in this mess from his home in Cuba (he moved there due to his Cuban wife and cost of living, not to escape this mess
Old 12-06-2018, 08:06 PM
+0m J()rd@N

As others have mentioned, it remains to be seen what effect this will have on the hobby - and particularly the prices of pre-war signed cards.

Looking at things from an economics standpoint, we have a market with a small, fixed supply of signed cards. With some of those cards now turning out to be forged, there is a real and significant impact on the supply. As opposed to other players and mediums where the supply is almost limitless (think Bob Feller autographs). So one would think that with supply going down, that prices for authentic autographed cards would rise.

On the other hand, the demand will probably take a hit as some previous buyers will become disillusioned and exit the market. How much, we don't know, but I certainly wouldn't see the demand increasing due to this mess.

So with supply and demand both going down, where does that leave the market? I think it's really up in the air at this time and will depend mostly on what happens to the demand, which is up to us as collectors. And by that I mean a small number of folks - I'd put the over/under at 100 as to the number of folks collecting signed T206s, but I may be way off. Maybe 3 to 5 times that for pre-war cards in general (Goudeys, etc.)

Thoughts?
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)