NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 08-26-2019, 01:59 PM
Dave

Default For all lower dollar and common card sellers on Ebay / Managed Payments

In Ebay's rush to extricate themselves from Paypal and continue to gouge as deep into our pockets as possible I ran across this little tidbit recently.

Ebay had announced they were giving until 2021 for sellers to switch over from Paypal to their "Managed Payments" system.

Well, looks like they are proactively starting to force sellers over starting in a couple months, because not enough were "volunteering" for the move.

Apparently, Ebay will not tell you their fee schedule until you are signed up, but they will definitely be charging a per item transaction fee of 25 cents for each item, even on combined invoices, unlike Paypal which charges 30 cents for the entire transaction, no matter how many items are in the transaction............which is pretty standard for a merchant account provider.

So it's disingenuous to call it a "transaction" fee (although Ebay has been redefining lots of new words to sellers lately). It's a fee hike, straight and simple. Wish they would just call it that, instead of thinking their skatin' one by us again, because they're soooooo clever and smart.

Anybody selling dollar-ish cards or commons on Ebay, between the two transaction fees and the final value fees, this comes close to eating up the entire pie, even if somebody comes along and puts 50 cards in their cart at a time.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 08-26-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:35 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Their initial “sell” was to move to mp and avoid the 30 cent transaction fee. I knew that wouldn’t last and it would end up costing more. My hats off to them. I didn’t think of this. They are effectively eliminating all sales under $5. It’s not worth the fees.

Every time I get an eBay seller update I wonder how much it will cost. And they never disappoint. They keep finding ways to nickel and dime each transaction until it doesn’t make sense. Their failure is in fleecing sellers instead of easing up on the fees and encouraging us to sell more - which I would.

If you stick to mostly bigger sales ($20+) you aren’t going to feel this. But if you sell a lot of smaller items it is going to sting. Sellers will have to pass along the extra quarter onto the buyer. This coupled with sales tax should drive away buyers in droves. It seems terribly short sighted.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:38 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Managed payments

Last spring, I was constantly getting pop ups from eBay on my selling page advertising the Managed Payments. So, in early June, I decided to make the switch. I submitted my info and I received a message from eBay that a rep would be contacting me to get it set up. Here we are 2 1/2 months later and I haven't heard from eBay. I haven't received any more pop ups on my selling page. I haven't tried to contact eBay about it because I don't really care if it happens.

I agree that the per item fee will hurt the set breakers, like me, who list 100's of low price commons. I also don't like the way that we will be paid, through a series of small payments into our accounts. TCG Player does this for gaming cards, and I am constantly getting messages about pending payments, actual payments, etc., and my bank account is littered with a series of small deposits.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:47 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

There is a “work around” in the system. If you list 1 item - 1979 Topps Singles Choose Your Card Complete Your Set - you can list the item with variations and sell each card individually under 1 listing and upload photos of each card. Then the buyer can purchase 20 cards from the set and it is still under 1 line item so you only pay one fee. But if they get one card from 3 different sets you will get hit with 3 fees.

I agree that the thing I am going to hate most is the annoying little fees going in for each sale and going out for each shipping fee and purchase. It’s a lot more bookwork.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:56 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

BST is my work-around. Bump Ebay!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-26-2019, 05:22 PM

How then do big companies like Burbank Sportscards who already has managed payment make millions selling common cards? (Not being smart, just wondering how they can do it and make millions but most people who do the same exact thing (breaking sets, boxes and cases) won’t be able too with the new eBay managed payments.