NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2019, 01:03 PM
Hal T.

Default Looking For a Card Show Near Atlanta Georgia

My son moved to Georgia last year and misses the Chantilly, VA and Philly sports card shows. Does anyone know of upcoming sports card shows within a 2 hour drive of Atlanta?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:04 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I hate to tell you but Atlanta and its surrounding area is dead for card shows and really for the card and autograph and memorabilia market in general . It was great from 1985 until about the early 2000s but since then not much . A few small local shows maybe once a year but nothing big or worthwhile, especially compared to the heyday for those years or the Chantilly show that you are used to.
Atlanta's history as a collecting area is strange at best . I speak from experience having been in this area since college beginning in 1977 and doing shows and private signings in the area for many many years .
In fact the southeast is pretty dead in general for shows .
Old 01-13-2019, 03:14 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Jacksonville FL has one. Panama City used to before the Hurricane.

Is there one tied to the Super Bowl? I know there used to be some tied to Super Bowls in the past.

Does the monthly vintage market down in College Park (Hi Fi Buys Amphitheater) still exist? That might be the place to find vintage sports collectibles. The other good ones from when I lived there (and go back to visit every once in a while) are antique malls up in Peachtree Dunwoody.

How about any stores that have opened up by Galleria due to the Braves new stadium?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:27 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
I hate to tell you but Atlanta and its surrounding area is dead for card shows and really for the card and autograph and memorabilia market in general . It was great from 1985 until about the early 2000s but since then not much . A few small local shows maybe once a year but nothing big or worthwhile, especially compared to the heyday for those years or the Chantilly show that you are used to.
Atlanta's history as a collecting area is strange at best . I speak from experience having been in this area since college beginning in 1977 and doing shows and private signings in the area for many many years .
In fact the southeast is pretty dead in general for shows .
Completely agree with you. I used to go to the Tri Star shows here and Bob Pressley had great shows here which were awesome to attended. Bob always had National dealers and a variety of auto signers. I attended from mid 90s to early 2000s. The general consensus from dealers was Atlanta was a market hat loved vg/ex cards. Hard to sell the high end stuff. After the shows dried up here, I had to wait for Roger Neufeld to come twice a year and set up in a Hotel banquet room. The National was hosted here once and I dont recall how that went over? I know I didnt like paying for parking at 30.00.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:29 PM
Rich Klein

Neither National was real good and the 1st one was during the boom years (1992) and the 2nd one was 1999 and horribly slow.

There is no real reason to go back to Atlanta for anything big at this point

Rich
Old 01-13-2019, 06:36 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

To answer a question . Yes there will be a show and an auction sponsored by Hunt Auctions during the Super Bowl but as in the past if it is true to form will be totally football in focus since it is the Super Bowl.
Also Atlanta hosted 2 Nationals . The first was moderately successful but collectors focus in this area was different than other areas of the country and the locals didn't break loose with their money .
The second National was a disaster . Autograph guests not close to selling out and no crowds with limited promotional give always . It was the first National not run by the National committee but rather it was run by the infamous group Smith - Bucklin who had never organized , promoted , or ran a National , let alone any sports memorabilia / card shows and their inexperience and lack of organization was apparent from the start and resulted in a very unsuccessful show for both dealers and attendees.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:47 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

These are sad but true realities of the Hobby in the Southeastern region.

Ebay is responsible for most of it.

Ebay is to the hobby as Walmart was to brick-and-mortar stores and everything is getting sucked into Amazon.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-13-2019, 06:54 PM
Albert Bee

Default Show

Id like to read or hear about this Atlanta National that was a big bust

Is there an article or detailed post ?
Old 01-13-2019, 06:57 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Long ago, I used to run a show a couple times a year in Rome, GA. I was a fairly recognized promoter and I might go back to it one day but there's some crazy stuff going on. I can't believe that virtually anyone who has ever played in any league is commanding $20 an autograph now. I used to do free or $2 autographs, usually paid the guys $200 or less. I had a lot of good players at my show including Bobby Richardson, Wally Moon, Gene Tenace, Jim Bibby, Bullet Bill Dudley, Sam Pihos and others. It made the show special and both the fans and the players loved it. I might do another show someday, but it will be an adjustment.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:39 PM
Hal T.

I appreciate the responses, unfortunately, doesn't look like he will be attending any shows in the Atlanta area anytime soon. I did check the Hunt Auction website and as previously indicated all lots are football related in their Super Bowl auction.

Small world Todd! My son lives within walking distance of State Municipal Stadium in Rome, GA.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:43 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Long ago, I used to run a show a couple times a year in Rome, GA. I was a fairly recognized promoter and I might go back to it one day but there's some crazy stuff going on. I can't believe that virtually anyone who has ever played in any league is commanding $20 an autograph now. I used to do free or $2 autographs, usually paid the guys $200 or less. I had a lot of good players at my show including Bobby Richardson, Wally Moon, Gene Tenace, Jim Bibby, Bullet Bill Dudley, Sam Pihos and others. It made the show special and both the fans and the players loved it. I might do another show someday, but it will be an adjustment.
I hate to ask but don't you mean Pete Pihos and not Sam Pihos.

BTW == I agree with your comment about the exorbitant price of almost any athlete active or retired.

Rich
Old 01-14-2019, 12:56 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
That's my neck of the woods. But I grew up in Marietta, Ga.
The only shows I ever remembered were at the Cobb Civic Center.
There might be a few small shows at the Mariott or something I recall in the past. Basically there is nothing much here. I visist the card store in Kennesaw area once a moon.
Todd- I never heard of your shows, when was this?? Would love to hear more about them. My elders were born/raised there. I moved back in 97.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriolesHOF View Post
Small world Todd! My son lives within walking distance of State Municipal Stadium in Rome, GA.
Oh, he must live in those new condo-ish building then. Those went up fast. It indeed is a small world. That's basically at my back door too.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 01-14-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:12 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

There's a pretty decent show in Nashville - about a 3.5 hour drive depending on what part of Atlanta you're coming from.

The show is twice a month and has about 30 tables. However, twice a year, it's a big show - almost 200 tables. The twice monthly show is fair but probably not worth a 7 hour round trip drive. The twice a year show probably is.

Feb 23rd is the next big show. It's at Lighthouse Christian School on Blue Hole Road in Antioch (convenient if coming from Atlanta). Beckett grading is there, JSA is there, and Denny McLain will be there. It's definitely not the national, but by the sound of things, it may be your best reasonable option.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Hal T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Oh, he must live in those new condo-ish building then. Those went up fast. It indeed is a small world. That's basically at my back door too.
You nailed it, right down the street from the Rome Braves and his favorite restaurant Bella Roma.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:41 AM
Hal T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdill2 View Post
There's a pretty decent show in Nashville - about a 3.5 hour drive depending on what part of Atlanta you're coming from.

The show is twice a month and has about 30 tables. However, twice a year, it's a big show - almost 200 tables. The twice monthly show is fair but probably not worth a 7 hour round trip drive. The twice a year show probably is.

Feb 23rd is the next big show. It's at Lighthouse Christian School on Blue Hole Road in Antioch (convenient if coming from Atlanta). Beckett grading is there, JSA is there, and Denny McLain will be there. It's definitely not the national, but by the sound of things, it may be your best reasonable option.
Thanks for the info Robert. He will definitely have something to look forward to in February, this week he'll be at Chopfest at SunTrust.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:41 AM
Bruce Fairchild

There is a weekly show in Marietta, just north of I285. Here is the email from the Jan 13 show:

East Cobb Sports Collectibles Show

Sunday ~ January 13th 9:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/GeorgiaCollectibleShows

Hilton Garden Inn/Wildwood
(I-75/Exit 260 - 3045 Windy Hill Rd.)
Atlanta, GA 30339

For more information please contact Jim (jimdaley64@yahoo.com), or call him at 678-933-8568.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:32 PM
Jay Cee

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9046.jpg (64.8 KB, 66 views)