NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2023, 07:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Strongsville Sports Collections Convention - April 14th-16th

As a courtesy for a very valued advertiser I want to remind members of the upcoming Strongsville Sports Collectors Convention. It is happening April 14th-16th, 2023.

https://strongsvillesports.com

From their website-

"Best Of The Best" Vintage Dealers

Thousands of Passionate Hobby Fans Trek to Strongsville Every Year
Fans of the hobby gather at SSCC each year for one of the most important 3-day events in rare and vintage sports cards and memorabilia. Thousands make the trek to see the top dealers, authenticators and auction houses all in under one roof, as well as gathering with friends from around the country who share a passion for the "stuff."

And a list of dealers- Company Name, Dealer Name, State

Almost All Cleveland Mike Knezevic Ohio
Albee Sports Alec Albee Minnesota
Andy Madec Andy Madec California
Bagger's Sportscards Dave Schrader Ohio
Ballpark Jimmy Jim Novalanic Ohio
Bobby Hall Bobby Hall Pennsylvania
Bottom of the Ninth Jerry Katz Ohio
Brandon Williams Brandon Williams Kentucky
Bryan Dec Vintage Sports Bryan Dec Florida
Chappell Cards William Chappell Indiana
Cutthroat Cards Larry Kerrigan Ontario
Dan's Cards Dan Bowling Ohio
DCK Sportscards David Estright Ohio
Dennis Vanke Dennis Vanke Ohio
DZ Nuts and Cards Rick Edmunds II West Virginia
Fat Daddy's Vintagre Sports Cards Tony Gordon Illinois
Gary Nuchereno Gary Nuchereno New York
GPS Gift Gallery Dr. Lou (Bill) Oliverio Ohio
Halbig Vintage Sportscards Craig Halbig Illinois
Heritage Auctions Tony Giese Texas
Hockey Card Exchange Colin Murray Ontario
Infield Collectibles Irene Pike Ohio
J.D. Heckathorn J.D.Heckathorn Indiana
Jack's Cards Jack Kerekes Ohio
Jerry Adamic Jerry Adamic Texas
JSA Authentication Robert Wharton New Jersey
Kevin Bronson Kevin Bronson Pennsylvania
Kevin Savage Cards Kevin Savage Ohio
Kevin Smith Kevin Smith Ohio
Kovacs Sports Kirk Kovacs Ohio
Kurt Turdout Enterprises Kurt Turdout North Carolina
Lee Galleries Henry Lee Connecticut
Lelands (Show Sponsor) Mike Hefner New Jersey
Main Line Autographs Jim DiCandilo Pennsylvania
Mark's Cards Mark Smith Michigan
Memory Lane JP Cohen California
Migliaccio Sports Cards Nick Migliaccio New Jersey
Mike Cooper Mike Cooper Ohio
Mile High Cards Brian Drent Colorado
Northcoast Sportscards Ryan Peterman Ohio
New Deal Used Cards Scott Snyder Ohio
Payne Sports Collectibles Tim Payne Iowa
Phillips Vintage Sportscards Danny Phillips Ohio
Ray's Antique Sports & Oddites Ray Lukach Ohio
Rob Dewolf/Andy Jenkins Rob Dewolf Ohio
Scott Liedtke Scott Liedtke Illinois
SGC Bryan Greff Florida
Sin-Bin Hockey Jim Misencik Ohio
Sniders Vintage Baseball Herb Watson Virginia
Sports Antiquities Michael Golsteyn Michigan
Sportscards Plus Art Smith Florida
Sports Sanctuary Ben Toot/Chris Higgins Ohio
Stan Devecka Stan Devecka Ohio
Stan's Vintage Sports Cards Stan Loch Ohio
Steve Slockett Steve Slockett West Virginia
The Collector Connection Scott Russell Pennsylvania
Tom Phillips Tom Phillips Georgia
Triple Play Vintage Terry Woodward Ohio
V&J Cards Vic Stanley Pennsylvania
Vintage Cardboard Collectibles Michael Milbourn Ohio
Xcellent Stuff Damon Kruszewski Ohio

https://strongsvillesports.com

Good luck to all whom attend!

Old 04-07-2023, 08:46 AM
Drew W@i$e

Great show and I am sure it will be a smashing hit again this year.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:16 AM
Brian K

I'm making the trek from Oregon to check it out, looking to fill the T206 holes, as well as the hunt for everything from strip cards to Superman Gum and Bread cards. Really excited about this one!
Old 04-07-2023, 01:24 PM
Don

Cannot make it but hope everyone has fun. Have heard incredible things about this show.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:25 PM
Dave Carson

I will be there Friday. Looking to complete my run of Hostess panels. If you are setting up and bringing any Hostess panels, let me know and I will stop by.

Looking forward to picking up my recent auction winnings from Kevin Savage Cards and The Collector Connection. Will be nice to see Kevin again and finally meet Scott.

Looking forward to catching up with old friends JD and Staci Heckathorn and Mark Smith.

Otherwise looking for whatever catches my eye and is reasonably priced. I'm sure that I will walk away with stuff I never had on my radar heading in.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:27 PM
Scott Russell

Excited to finally get off the waiting list! We'll be there showing off some auction items for our upcoming May Pre War auction as well as looking for last minute consignments to that auction as well as consignments for Non-Sports, Comic Books and Post War auctions coming up.

We especially need pre WWII commons graded and raw!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-07-2023, 02:30 PM

Default Strongsville show

Scott- I'll look for you, glad you are in. My favorite show! Trent King
Old 04-07-2023, 02:36 PM

I am there every year to walk around on the first day. The one thing they need to get rid of which was available last year and is being offered this year is the early entry ticket nonsense.
Old 04-07-2023, 05:52 PM
Josh

Super excited to attend again this year myself and hoping to score a new Ruth for my PC.
Old 04-07-2023, 06:17 PM

Default Going!

Making the trip from Philly to the show. First time in years. Can't wait!
Old 04-07-2023, 06:54 PM
Donny Muth

Default Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
I am there every year to walk around on the first day. The one thing they need to get rid of which was available last year and is being offered this year is the early entry ticket nonsense.
Just curious why you think the early entry needs to stop? I have never been to the Strongsville show (maybe next year), but I have done the early entry at the Nashville show twice now and it's nice to be able to make a round before it gets crowded. It's only a 2 hour head start, but to me it has been worth it for $30.

Old 04-07-2023, 06:58 PM
Bill Roberts

When I lived in the Midwest 10 years ago, the Strongsville show offered early entry at an increased ticket price. So it's nothing new, and there's not a thing wrong with it. Many, many shows do it, and it's a nice option.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmuth View Post
Just curious why you think the early entry needs to stop? I have never been to the Strongsville show (maybe next year), but I have done the early entry at the Nashville show twice now and it's nice to be able to make a round before it gets crowded. It's only a 2 hour head start, but to me it has been worth it for $30.
Simply put, you put on a show and you have a start time. Not an early one. I apologize if I'm sounding rude. It is not intended in this response.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:36 AM

Default Hope your not claustrophobic....

Place is so packed it's unbelievable but I'l be there....venue is way to small great show one of the best just not nearly the room....IS SGC GRADING ON SITE OR MAILING BACK??

Last edited by JMANOS; 04-08-2023 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:10 AM
Rob

SGC is not grading on site, but is accepting submissions. I am going to drop off a few items Friday.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:11 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Strongsville Sports Collections Convention - April 14th-16th

Looking forward to it. Will be with Gary Nuchereno.
Old 04-08-2023, 02:38 PM
Tom Reister

Default Strongville

I am looking forward to this show. If anyone has any tough or interesting baseball wrappers, please bring them to the show. Tom
Old 04-09-2023, 07:29 AM
Jim Todd

Great show last year. I can’t make it until Sunday, so y’all make sure to leave some good stuff for me.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:00 PM
Darrell

Default the 'ville

Ill be there on Friday afternoon... looking forward to seeing anyone going .. except Manos.-- just kidding good friend - ! hope they somehow added some space .... see ya there . Darrell - Go Tribe !

Kinda crazy but this was the first show I ever went to as a kid .. it was at another hotel there or it was the old holiday inn ....long. long time ago... I think it started in late 70s
Old 04-09-2023, 08:11 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletch00 View Post
Ill be there on Friday afternoon... looking forward to seeing anyone going .. except Manos.-- just kidding good friend - ! hope they somehow added some space .... see ya there . Darrell - Go Tribe !

Kinda crazy but this was the first show I ever went to as a kid .. it was at another hotel there or it was the old holiday inn ....long. long time ago... I think it started in late 70s
It is the same place/location, it is just that Holiday Inn sold and Best Western took it over.

What is too bad/sad is that years ago, they would on Saturday nights after the show closed hold a live, cash only, auction at the indoor pool. That was always fun to attend. And once in a while you could get a nice bargain as well. You never knew what they would have in advance, just had to show up and see.

Funny thing is, there is another fairly big card show (supposedly 300 tables) going on at the exact same time and on the exact same days as the Strongsville show, about 15-20 minutes away from where the Strongsville show is located. But it is a much more modern card oriented crowd and show. Was actually talking with this other shows promoter last month at a nearby quarterly show he had in a different location only about 3-4 miles from my house. I had to ask him, why the hell would he go ahead and ever think to have started this big of an annual show (I believe this is the first time he's doing such a 300 table show, in a 55,000 SF space), and run it at the exact same time and in direct competition to the Strongsville show. Interestingly enough. he said he actually planned it on purpose, and had even contacted the Strongsville show promoter/owner to see about doing some dual advertising, and working together, since his show would be much more focused on modern cards and not as a direct competitor to the Strongsville show's historically vintage/pre-war crowd. Apparently the Strongsville show people were not interested in sharing any of the spotlight. Meanwhile, this other promoter and his show will not only have dealers, but apparently there will be local and other media attending, and some supposedly broadcasting live from his show. I've even heard the commercials on the local sports oriented ESPN affiliated radio station in Cleveland, WKNR 850 AM, and apparently some of their on-air talent is going to be at this other show as well. This guy/promoter runs monthly shows one county over, about 35 miles from where I live, as well as these much bigger quarterly shows he just started about a year and a half ago, only about 3-4 miles from my house. And of course, he's also a dealer. Never really heard of this guy or his business and shows before this past Christmas, but he definitely is growing and has some plans.

And if you're wondering why I was even talking to this guy in the first place, remember me saying the show was only 3-4 miles from my house? It was also only $2 to get in, and he actually had a Babe Ruth Candy Co. card for sale in one of his display cases, in the middle of all these newer cards. It was raw, and the condition wasn't the greatest. But when he told me the story about how he supposedly bought it from a little old local lady just a couple days before, and how apparently she found it had fallen behind her refrigerator (and trust me, I'm not making this up) it was almost all I could do to not start laughing out loud. I immediately started thinking about all the Grandpa's attic claims and stories I'd heard of over the years, but in this case, I was actually holding and looking at the card. I didn't know enough about that specific rare and obscure card issue to ever tale a chance on what this guy was telling me. But he did mention probably sending it off to see about getting it graded and authenticated. I'll be curious to stop by this other show and see if he able to get it authenticated at least, but am not holding my breath. We talked just 3 weeks or so ago, so not sure who he was going to have look at and grade it, and if there's even been enough time for it to have already come back so he can have it at next weekend's show. We shall see. LOL So, anyone know anything about Babe Ruth Candy Co. cards?

Last edited by BobC; 04-09-2023 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:48 AM

Default Strongsville show

Good morning all- I went to Strongsville on Friday, thought I'd give a brief(!)
summary... tons of great tobacco and vintage in multiple sports, and more
than a token amount of memorabilia and signed items. Modern is practically
non existent (thankfully Be ready for tons of attendees, fun as always!

Trent King
Old 04-15-2023, 06:58 AM

More summaries and reports, please, and post pics too!!! Many of us are living vicariously through all you guys at the show.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:02 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Simply put, you put on a show and you have a start time. Not an early one. I apologize if I'm sounding rude. It is not intended in this response.
I get what Brian is saying that everyone should be able to get in at the same time for the same price. However, many people are willing to pay more $$$ to be the 1st one in the room and have less competition and bumping into backpacks and pelican cases, etc. for a tour to see if there is anything they want or what they can make $$ on.

And as a promoter who has run shows, if I could have done that, I would have. The Dallas Card Show has various levels of paying from All Access VIP to daily admission fees. You know in advance what the fees are can make those choices.

Heck, even the NSCC has different fees for if you want to be a VIP, a Super VIP, and if you want to just come for a day. Sorry, Brian but that's truly capitalism at work.

Last edited by Rich Klein; 04-15-2023 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:10 AM
Rob

Lots of nice stuff yesterday, made a few small purchases.

I wasn't looking for much, mostly doing some price comparisons.

SGC couldn't make it due to heavy rain down their way. I will have to mail my sub, but it was good to see some familiar faces.

It's a show I always attend whether I plan on buying something or just window shop.
Old 04-15-2023, 02:02 PM
Don

Ogg’s Cards posted this on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2023, 08:04 PM
Dave Carson

I attended Friday. Sorry no pictures.

I was pleased with the day. I really wasn’t looking for pre-war but did pick up some nice low priced 1939 and 1940 Play Ball

I had three focus areas:

1955 Topps Doubleheaders. Finished off my set with a Vic Power from Stan’s Cards and a Jackie Robinson from Hockey Card Exchange

1960 Leaf High numbers - found one of four

Hostess panels - found four more to get me down to ten panels to finish off all five sets

Visited with JD amd Stacey Heckathorn and Mark Smith since the Moeller show and got a handful of cards from each including 1950 Bowman Bobby Layne and Joe Perry from Mark. Various cards from JD including quite a few 1951 Magic football

Picked up auction winnings from Scott Russell and Kevin Savage and had some quality time with each

Put some dents in the Post Cereal, baseball Hi-Lites and Baseball Scoops want lists.

Good lunch at Goldie’s Deli on Pearl Road before the show

Saved some of my bank roll for the Moeller show
Old 04-16-2023, 05:13 AM
Jim Todd

Bob, if you’re talking about the Independence show, I was a bit perturbed when I saw he set it up on the same weekend as Strongsville. I don’t blame them for not working with him, especially since it was intentional, and the Strongsville show has been established for years. You would think he’s missing out on vintage buyers and sellers attending that would have if it was just a week or two apart. I for one won’t be able to make independence, although I would have gone if it was a different weekend. I’m sure there are others in the same boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
It is the same place/location, it is just that Holiday Inn sold and Best Western took it over.

What is too bad/sad is that years ago, they would on Saturday nights after the show closed hold a live, cash only, auction at the indoor pool. That was always fun to attend. And once in a while you could get a nice bargain as well. You never knew what they would have in advance, just had to show up and see.

Funny thing is, there is another fairly big card show (supposedly 300 tables) going on at the exact same time and on the exact same days as the Strongsville show, about 15-20 minutes away from where the Strongsville show is located. But it is a much more modern card oriented crowd and show. Was actually talking with this other shows promoter last month at a nearby quarterly show he had in a different location only about 3-4 miles from my house. I had to ask him, why the hell would he go ahead and ever think to have started this big of an annual show (I believe this is the first time he's doing such a 300 table show, in a 55,000 SF space), and run it at the exact same time and in direct competition to the Strongsville show. Interestingly enough. he said he actually planned it on purpose, and had even contacted the Strongsville show promoter/owner to see about doing some dual advertising, and working together, since his show would be much more focused on modern cards and not as a direct competitor to the Strongsville show's historically vintage/pre-war crowd. Apparently the Strongsville show people were not interested in sharing any of the spotlight. Meanwhile, this other promoter and his show will not only have dealers, but apparently there will be local and other media attending, and some supposedly broadcasting live from his show. I've even heard the commercials on the local sports oriented ESPN affiliated radio station in Cleveland, WKNR 850 AM, and apparently some of their on-air talent is going to be at this other show as well. This guy/promoter runs monthly shows one county over, about 35 miles from where I live, as well as these much bigger quarterly shows he just started about a year and a half ago, only about 3-4 miles from my house. And of course, he's also a dealer. Never really heard of this guy or his business and shows before this past Christmas, but he definitely is growing and has some plans.

And if you're wondering why I was even talking to this guy in the first place, remember me saying the show was only 3-4 miles from my house? It was also only $2 to get in, and he actually had a Babe Ruth Candy Co. card for sale in one of his display cases, in the middle of all these newer cards. It was raw, and the condition wasn't the greatest. But when he told me the story about how he supposedly bought it from a little old local lady just a couple days before, and how apparently she found it had fallen behind her refrigerator (and trust me, I'm not making this up) it was almost all I could do to not start laughing out loud. I immediately started thinking about all the Grandpa's attic claims and stories I'd heard of over the years, but in this case, I was actually holding and looking at the card. I didn't know enough about that specific rare and obscure card issue to ever tale a chance on what this guy was telling me. But he did mention probably sending it off to see about getting it graded and authenticated. I'll be curious to stop by this other show and see if he able to get it authenticated at least, but am not holding my breath. We talked just 3 weeks or so ago, so not sure who he was going to have look at and grade it, and if there's even been enough time for it to have already come back so he can have it at next weekend's show. We shall see. LOL So, anyone know anything about Babe Ruth Candy Co. cards?
Old 04-16-2023, 12:51 PM
Drew W@i$e

For those that attended, what are your thoughts? Most online reviews of the show I read are a mixed bag. Some love it, others said museum prices. A few said they should have attended the Hofstra show instead.
Old 04-16-2023, 01:07 PM
Steve

I attended early Friday, and I enjoyed myself for the few hours that I was there.

With that said, I think my expectations were set appropriatel for myself:

I expected it to be very crowded, but I arrived at noon and left by 2:30 -- it only got "crowded" as I was leaving. So I was happy to avoid traffic.

I really enjoyed that it was 90% pre-1970 vintage, and I saw a few folks chuckling a bit at the post-1990 in the room.

I didn't expect to find anything in the narrow scope of cards that I collect, so I wasn't disappointed or surprised that I didn't find anything I needed. That's not a comment on the account on the material in the room but is just a consequence of my scope. I mainly attended to see and feel a show and to hang out in Cleveland for the weekend. The city has a lot to do, even without the Guardians in town.

I do lament the amount of dealer space taken up by "auction previews" though. I understand that it's important advertising, but given the limited space in the room, I'd rather see cards that are available for transaction.
Old 04-16-2023, 03:32 PM
Ed Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Some love it, others said museum prices.
I was set up and had a terrific show. Every single dealer I spoke with, without exception, said the same. Kind of belies the museum prices statement. Great job by Mike, Laura and the Lelands team.
Old 04-16-2023, 04:19 PM
Josh

The show was great. The dealers well prepared with inventory, and engaging. I agree on some prices strong, here and there, yet also dealers showed willingness in trades and working with collectors on prices within reason of each. Security seemed amped up more as well this year. Memory Lane always steals the show for me each year talking to Joe T and others. I had a good experience and added a few Ruth’s.
Old 04-16-2023, 04:20 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstottlemire1 View Post
The show was great. The dealers well prepared with inventory, and engaging. I agree on some prices strong, here and there, yet also dealers showed willingness in trades and working with collectors on prices within reason of each. Security seemed amped up more as well this year. Memory Lane always steals the show for me each year talking to Joe T and others. I had a good experience and added a few Ruth’s.
show em!!!!!
Old 04-16-2023, 06:04 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtodd View Post
Bob, if you’re talking about the Independence show, I was a bit perturbed when I saw he set it up on the same weekend as Strongsville. I don’t blame them for not working with him, especially since it was intentional, and the Strongsville show has been established for years. You would think he’s missing out on vintage buyers and sellers attending that would have if it was just a week or two apart. I for one won’t be able to make independence, although I would have gone if it was a different weekend. I’m sure there are others in the same boat.
That is the one Jim. As I mentioned in my story, I asked Steve, the guy putting on the show in Independence exactly why he was doing it the exact same weekend as well, because I was thinking just like you, why would someone do that.

FYI, was at Strongsville today, and talking to a guy who was at the other show, and actually set up there as a dealer. Apparently, the show in Independence did not fill all 300 or so tables, but supposedly still did okay, according to him. This guy I spoke with said he'd pretty much sold out and came over to check out the Strongsville show Sunday afternoon then. We were both talking about things with a fellow collector from Atlanta, who ended getting a table after he got there Friday and found out SGC had cancelled. He had brought an unbelievable amount and quality of stuff to trade/deal with, and ended up being able to set up as a dealer instead, and be there all weekend taking over part of SGC's cancelled spot. In fact, I think it is the same guy/dealer that someone took a picture of his showcase and posted here earlier in the thread that had all the Cobb's in it. He borrowed the showcases from the people running the show. We had a great discussion regarding S74 silks he and I both have. And he had some unbelievable non-sport items as well, which we were talking about with the guy that had set up at the Independence modern show, who it turns it is also an unbelievable non-sport pre-war card collector as well. I told the two of them the exact same story about talking with the guy putting on the Independence show last month, and why he decided to have his show at the exact same time. The modern dealer mentioned how he did have some older, pre-war non-sports stuff at that show, and how the younger collectors were drawn to it and asking lots of questions. He said the modern collectors are looking and beginning to pay more attention to the older stuff after all, an obvious good sign for the hobby's overall health. Another person at the Strongsville show told me how they felt like there were more dealers interested in asking if people had things to sell, than they necessarily were in selling their cards to them. And an old dealer friend told me how his best day was on Thursday, the day before the Strongsville show actually opened, as he mentioned all the dealers who came in early to set up were doing a lot of sales and trades before the doors ever opened. For all the talk of inflation, and other economic fears and issues with perceived dropping card prices and a failing hobby, it sure as heck didn't seem to be the case there in Strongsville that the hobby is suffering and in any danger of dying out any time soon.

Didn't buy anything myself, as prices were definitely strong. And though there were many cards there from sets I collect, none of them were cards I was still missing from those sets. My typical luck. LOL
Old 04-16-2023, 06:50 PM
Jim Todd

Bob, thanks for the update! I was curious how they would do and was also very happy with the turnout at Strongsville today as a buyer/observer. I agree, lots of good conversations, trading and friendly negotiating. More younger people than expected. A good amount of buying and selling it seemed.

Bob, you aren't going to believe this, but if you were the Silks guy, you taught me about them today too, and showed me your awesome S74 Cobb (Helmar right?). I was in the yellow shirt. You encouraged me to buy a silk from the Atlanta dealer. Unfortunately, I think you talked the silks up too much to him also, because I offered to buy that SGC6 Tinker at the marked price, and he no longer wanted to sell it. Haha! Thanks anyways for the advice - it was good to meet you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
That is the one Jim. As I mentioned in my story, I asked Steve, the guy putting on the show in Independence exactly why he was doing it the exact same weekend as well, because I was thinking just like you, why would someone do that.

FYI, was at Strongsville today, and talking to a guy who was at the other show, and actually set up there as a dealer. Apparently, the show in Independence did not fill all 300 or so tables, but supposedly still did okay, according to him. This guy I spoke with said he'd pretty much sold out and came over to check out the Strongsville show Sunday afternoon then. We were both talking about things with a fellow collector from Atlanta, who ended getting a table after he got there Friday and found out SGC had cancelled. He had brought an unbelievable amount and quality of stuff to trade/deal with, and ended up being able to set up as a dealer instead, and be there all weekend taking over part of SGC's cancelled spot. In fact, I think it is the same guy/dealer that someone took a picture of his showcase and posted here earlier in the thread that had all the Cobb's in it. He borrowed the showcases from the people running the show. We had a great discussion regarding S74 silks he and I both have. And he had some unbelievable non-sport items as well, which we were talking about with the guy that had set up at the Independence modern show, who it turns it is also an unbelievable non-sport pre-war card collector as well. I told the two of them the exact same story about talking with the guy putting on the Independence show last month, and why he decided to have his show at the exact same time. The modern dealer mentioned how he did have some older, pre-war non-sports stuff at that show, and how the younger collectors were drawn to it and asking lots of questions. He said the modern collectors are looking and beginning to pay more attention to the older stuff after all, an obvious good sign for the hobby's overall health. Another person at the Strongsville show told me how they felt like there were more dealers interested in asking if people had things to sell, than they necessarily were in selling their cards to them. And an old dealer friend told me how his best day was on Thursday, the day before the Strongsville show actually opened, as he mentioned all the dealers who came in early to set up were doing a lot of sales and trades before the doors ever opened. For all the talk of inflation, and other economic fears and issues with perceived dropping card prices and a failing hobby, it sure as heck didn't seem to be the case there in Strongsville that the hobby is suffering and in any danger of dying out any time soon.

Didn't buy anything myself, as prices were definitely strong. And though there were many cards there from sets I collect, none of them were cards I was still missing from those sets. My typical luck. LOL
Old 04-16-2023, 09:07 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtodd View Post
Bob, thanks for the update! I was curious how they would do and was also very happy with the turnout at Strongsville today as a buyer/observer. I agree, lots of good conversations, trading and friendly negotiating. More younger people than expected. A good amount of buying and selling it seemed.

Bob, you aren't going to believe this, but if you were the Silks guy, you taught me about them today too, and showed me your awesome S74 Cobb (Helmar right?). I was in the yellow shirt. You encouraged me to buy a silk from the Atlanta dealer. Unfortunately, I think you talked the silks up too much to him also, because I offered to buy that SGC6 Tinker at the marked price, and he no longer wanted to sell it. Haha! Thanks anyways for the advice - it was good to meet you.
Yeah, that was me! What the heck, I'll be damned, small world, huh?!?! LOL What I don't get though is why would Alex, that was the guy from Atlanta's name, not sell you that S74 silk of Tinker? I'm assuming he is some kind of dealer himself, but just traveled to the Strongsville show as a buyer/collector bringing stuff to trade/barter with, and then totally lucked out and was able to grab a table at the last minute when SGC had to cancel. He had his stuff priced, and they weren't super bargain prices either. But he was willing to deal on them for sure. Did you see the notebook, with Christy Mathewson on the cover, that he had a $250 price on? I first walked up when he was talking about and showing it to someone else. And then after that other guy left, I commented on how that was a cool item, and that I had never seen that particular type of notebook cover before. He didn't blink an eye and offered me a 20% discount on it later on, after we had been talking about a bunch of other stuff for a while. So he was definitely looking to sell things. I hope it wasn't my fault, as we were talking at one point about how underappreciated and undervalued we both felt the S74 silks are. I had mentioned how if PSA were to ever start grading them that I believe the prices for these silks would jump, just like what seemed to happen with PSA starting to recently grade the M101-2 Sporting News Supplements. Now I'm wondering if he started to think about that some more in talking to you about the Tinker silk. I'll bet he did, and figured if he sold it now, he'd regret it later. If that is what ended up happening, I am so sorry, and had no idea I could have changed his mind like that. LOL Go figure! But he did have some reeaallllyyy nice stuff, including those S74-1 and S74-2 silks in his cases! And my God, did you see all the T206 red Cobb portrait cards he had?
Old 04-21-2023, 12:41 PM
m!ke kn@z@v!c

After a week to recover, I have to say it was a great show. Got to catch up with some hobby buddies (Hi Tony) and met a few N54 members, including Scott Russell.

Can't wait for next year!