NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2023, 02:56 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Default Phone picture vs scans

I notice often that phone pictures aren't an accurate depiction of what a card actually looks like in hand.

I purchased this Beaumont that I thought it might be a color variation because it had a clean back and in the sellers image the B looked orange.
On T206's that have been affected by chemicals or light exposure the B would be pink not orange as it turned out it is pink and was likely exposed to the sun
or light for a lengthy period of time.

Sellers image on the left and my scan on the right and a back scan.

Beumont comparison.jpg

img455 - Copy.jpg
Old 04-06-2023, 05:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Scans are almost always better.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:30 PM
Tim Odeen

there is an app called Photoscan that you can use that I highly recommend. It takes away glare and tries to improve quality of picture. I will post an example shortly.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 04-07-2023, 05:46 AM
John P0we11

I’d be happy to buy that Clarence Beaumont from you if you’re not happy with it.

Last edited by Louisville_Hugger; 04-07-2023 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2023, 06:34 AM
John

Lighting, focus, resolution and user error.
All factors that influence our photos.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
there is an app called Photoscan that you can use that I highly recommend. It takes away glare and tries to improve quality of picture. I will post an example shortly.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Unless they have greatly improved the app, I would advise against using it. It's been about two years since I used it. The quality at that time not good whatsoever.

The app makes you take four photos of different areas of your item, then combines all to form a sort of conglomerate FrankenPhoto with predictably uneven results. Lots of awful, electronically blotched/smeared areas which nobody has any interest in. It also utilizes the camera flash on your phone. When taking pictures of your card from 4 different places, the flash, as placed at four different positions, is going to present problems because of the minute differences in light and angles, etc. Not even a surgeon's hands are so steady that they are going to be able to take 4 different camera phone photos at the exact same heights and angles. Unless they've come up with some impressive changes, I'll never use that app again.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 04-07-2023 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:40 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Another benefit of scans is that they show the card from directly on. I can't get over how many sellers want thousands of dollars for a card with a photo that's at a terrible angle.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-07-2023, 04:08 PM

I do recall that the PhotoScan app does do its best to create a straight-on image, but the results left much to be desired.
Old 04-07-2023, 05:26 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

posted before, sometimes scans aren't better

Old 04-07-2023, 09:43 PM
Chase

With the exception of Chris' example which is jarring each time I see it, I am 100% opposed to cell phone pics for 2D items. I will not bid on a card where the seller uses a cell pic. 99 times out of 100 they are shot on angles that distort the cards, poorly lit, there are reflections on the holders (if they are graded cards), images are usually blurry and simply do not allow me to assess a card properly for those things I would be looking for.

Besides those reasons, I am an anti cell phone guy at heart and find it to be the lazy approach to capture a card however those who do it will deem it convenient. If it was such a great way to provide images of cards then every house would do it yet all scan.
Old 04-07-2023, 09:55 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Doctored scans certainly aren't better.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 04-07-2023 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:05 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post

That ones on Heritage 100%

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-07-2023, 10:18 PM
Bill Tozer

Did Heritage describe the multiple creases on the front of the card ?
Old 04-09-2023, 09:55 PM

Default Scanners are best

I have a Epson Perfection V600 scanner and I wouldn't have any other. There may be newer model numbers now as I've mine for a while.

They also do great on the scorecards, programs, yearbooks and other books etc.1956Topps12F.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PlayBallFront.jpg (207.5 KB, 200 views)
Old 04-09-2023, 10:14 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Doctored scans certainly aren't better.
Yeah, there's no way that scan is untouched.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:25 PM

Default Scans

So I just bought a cheap cannon scanner (lide 400) as I have a lot of t206 dupes I am finally going to get around to selling. Lots of setting options to enhance/brighten/etc. images. Whats the best/most honest way to do it? No enhancements? Are the enhancements okay to make the picture sharper? Are any enhancements off limits, but some are okay? Its all low grade, generally, and I am too lazy and don't pay enough attention to detail to write out descriptions of flaws/condition so I will need the pictures to show the true condition. I havent seen a discussion of this before, so just wondering everyone's thoughts.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:33 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
So I just bought a cheap cannon scanner (lide 400) as I have a lot of t206 dupes I am finally going to get around to selling. Lots of setting options to enhance/brighten/etc. images. Whats the best/most honest way to do it? No enhancements? Are the enhancements okay to make the picture sharper? Are any enhancements off limits, but some are okay? Its all low grade, generally, and I am too lazy and don't pay enough attention to detail to write out descriptions of flaws/condition so I will need the pictures to show the true condition. I havent seen a discussion of this before, so just wondering everyone's thoughts.
Pretty much anything that makes it look as close to as in hand is ok. Stuff that makes it look better than it does in hand shouldn't be used IMO.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:51 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post

Do you use Photoshop at all?

For cards available for sale or trade, I scan on my Epson without using any filters or enhancements, then bring it into Photoshop and hit 'Auto Tone,' 'Auto Contrast' and 'Auto Color' (and no other image adjustments) to keep it as close to real as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:50 AM

I do not use photoshop. I guess I will just have to play around with it to see what looks most realistic/accurate - I have noticed that some settings make the color "pop", and I have noticed it in listings before - but the cards don't look like that in real life - where the color almost glows.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:34 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Do PSA and SGC scan or use a camera? PSA’s pic vs. my scan:
Old 04-15-2023, 11:52 AM
Charles Jackson

I think it cuts both ways. Yes, scans tend to be more accurate than phone pics, but because scans flatten the image, they don't always do a great job of catching imperfections, such as wrinkles and creases. Sometimes taking a picture of a card at an angle can do a better job of showing imperfections....If you're in to that type of thing....