NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Neal

Default Soaking cards to remove pen marks?

Can anyone tell me if it is at all possible to remove small pen marks on cards. I know you can remove pencil by soaking them. Any thoughts??

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M116 Bell.jpg (18.5 KB, 359 views)
Old 01-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not sure

I have seen plenty of cards with a mark almost exactly like that one. I am not sure if soaking will get it off. That being said, if you can get the mark off and if there is an indention left, it will get the same MK qualifier. On the ones I have seen that were erased, similiar to yours, the indention was still there. I have a feeling a mars plastic eraser would take that mark off but not the indention left behind. No promises, I am just quoting my experience. best regards
Old 01-23-2010, 09:07 AM

Ink doesn't disolve in water like glue. You would need a certain type of alcohol, depending on the type of ink. Luckily, the alcohols needed can be bought cheap at drug and grocery stores. One is normal rubbing alcohol. If you want info on the specific type of alcohol versus ink, I couild probably find that out for you.

One thing is disolving the ink might just lead you to smearing it. It's possible it could look worse. Of course, it's easy to first test things out on a few 1988 Topps common. Before I removed the ink from my T206 Honus Wagner, I first tested the technique out on my T206 Eddie Planks

Last edited by drc; 01-23-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Josh K.

Ive heard of removing glue or paper from a card by soaking, never heard of removing pencil by soaking a card. How exactly would that work?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Barry Sloate

I think removing ink from a baseball card would be quite difficult, and you would be more likely to ruin the card than improve it. A professional paper restorer might be able to do it, but it would be expensive.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Jim VB

Neal,

There are guys who claim to be able to remove ink from cards without damaging the card, but several issues come to mind. Please do not be insulted by my post. It's not really aimed at you, directly.

The first is the risk you take with a very nice card. You may go through the time and expense and NOT get a card that looks any better. But you may also ruin the card.

Secondly, many on this board will question your motivation for doing the clean-up. If you're doing it just to make the card look better, some will find it acceptable. If you're doing it to sell the card, without disclosing the change, most will find that a little offensive.

Good luck with the project.