NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Default Vintage collector books and magazines

Posted By: John H.

Hello everyone. I discovered this forum a couple of weeks ago and, being almost as interested in reading about collecting as collecting itself, I would very much like to hear your opinions on the Vintage & Classic Baseball Collector and Old Cardboard magazines. I assume the contents are quite similar but I would like to hear about the differences, if there are any, before I take the plunge and start buying either or both of them. Does either of them make for better "reading"? Is one of clearly higher quality than the other? Does anyone know of an outlet from where to purchase the defunct Vintage & Classic Baseball Collector magazine?

Also, can you give me a brief synopsis of the contents of Lew Lipset's Encyclopedias? Is there a lot of text history regarding the sets in these books, are they mostly pictures and player lists, or are they a good combination of both and possibly some other items I haven't mentioned?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

John

Old 12-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

John

I recommend both. VCBC is out of print, but sets are almost always available on ebay. Here is the tiny url for a set: http://tinyurl.com/y2u29c

VCBC also reprinted Lew Lipset's 3 volume set in one volume, and it is often available on ebay.

Max

Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

VCBC tended to focus a little more on memorabilia; Old Cardboard's focus is almost entirely vintage baseball cards. But there are plenty of card articles in the former, too.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Thanks guys. Do you know approximately how many pages are in the two magazines? I believe that, going by the website, Old Cardboard is about 50 pages? Are they roughly the same?

Can you speak to the contents of Lew's encyclopedias?

John

Old 12-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Lipset's Encyclopedia is considered the standard reference in the area.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PaulPaulPaul

OK. What's a tiny url?

Old 12-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

John,

If you're going to collect any particular set of old cards, and if you want to really understand what you're collecting, then you need Mr. Lipset's works. There are 3 volumes, the first was on 19th century stuff, Old Judges, Harpers woodcuts, and the like. Another volume is about E cards, the American Caramel stuff, Cracker Jack, Zeenuts, other caramel cards, great stuff in it. And the other work is about T cards, T200, 205, 206, 207, 208,9,10,11,12,13,14,15 T222, and a few more. These books have MUCH more information than you'll find in a modern card catalog. There are a few typos, and some of the info is dated. IT is truly great, though. All of us should send Mr. Lipset a note of gratitude, if not money!

If you're collecting a particular issue or two, that are covered by his encyclopedias, then get the ones that cover your interest.

The Standard Catalog is a good reference. I like Mr. Sugar's old Sports Collectors' Bible. And I find myself looking at Mr. Burdick's American Card Catalog every few months.

Frank W.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: FYS

"Mr. Burdick's American Card Catalog every few months"

Is there only one version of this Catalog? I have seen a copy from the 60's for sale, but my understanding was it was made in the 50's? I thought it might be a reprint, but I think the covers were slightly different?

Old 12-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Administrator

"Mr. Sugar's old Sports Collectors' Bible"

Make sure you get the 4th Edition.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

And I could have sworn one of these was in one of the big auctions -- the ACC goes back to 1939.

The common reprint you see is from the 1960 book but there are several editions. The only version I own is from 1962

Rich

Old 12-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Administrator

FYS- I have two copies of the Sports Collectors Bible and thought they were the same, and just yesterday realized one is a 3rd edition and one is a 4th. What was added to the 4th that makes it the best?

Old 12-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

As Bert Sugar went along in versions (1-4)of The Sports Collectors Bible he made very needed revisions. The first one was a good first step but very poorly done otherwise. The 4th version was the most accurate and pretty good, imo.....It's where a lot of our pseudo-ACC numbers came from too...such as WG, N (for 19th Century) etc.....regards

Old 12-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Is also significantly tougher to acquire IIRC. I have seen very few copies of this over the years

Rich

Old 12-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Thanks guys, a real board of scholars. Rich, I am terrible with abbreviations, what is IIRC?

Old 12-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Administrator

"And I could have sworn one of these was in one of the big auctions -- the ACC goes back to 1939.

The common reprint you see is from the 1960 book but there are several editions. The only version I own is from 1962"

Is the content completely the same, just reprints? What is the master ACC book and how do I get a copy?

Old 12-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

Barry-
IIRC = If I recall correctly.
Stumped me for a year as well.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Administrator

You should probably get the latest revision (1960) as there were changes and it's the most up to date. I got my from Larry Frisch, he always has them, and it was about $27.00......you might be able to find one cheaper but I bit the bullet. What did I hope to save? $10?, maybe.......take care

Old 12-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Wouldn't have guessed IIRC in two years. These are brutal.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Both my editions are softcover, and the 4th went through several reprintings, the last in 1983. I got them a long time ago in a box lot but they are extremely useful.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator

I think FYS was asking about the ACC not the Sports Collectors Bible....both are useful and I would get the last versions of both, if I had to pick...which would be 1960 and 1983 respectively....regards

Old 12-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Leon- at 8:20 last night FYS wrote that he recommended the 4th edition of Sugar's book- that was the post I was citing.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Paul

A tiny url is nothing to be embarrassed about

If a website has a long url (the web address) and you'd like a shorter reference address, you can copy that address (highlight it and copy with ctl-c), then go to http://www.tinyurl.com. You can then paste (Ctl v) your long web address into the tiny url spot and it will give you a much shorter url you can use instead of the long one.

Max

Old 12-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

As they have said above, for Mr. Sugar the later edditions are better. As for the ACC, mine is a 1960 edition. You can live without that, but it is nice to have if you start chasing type cards instead of entire sets, and if you spill over into non-sports. Mr. Lipset's works are vital if you're seeking a higher level of understanding beyond what is in a Becket's or the Standard Catalog.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Well, I dove into the deep end and placed an order for a subscription and all of the back issues of Old Cardboard and also the Lipset Encyclopedia.

Next on the horizon will be the run of VCBC magazines but that will have to wait for a while.

Thanks for all of your comments.

John

Old 12-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Just recently won on ebay a bound book full of Lew Lipset's Old Judge newsletters.

Recommended reading.

Thanks Mr. Luckey.

Rob

Old 12-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

1953 issue sold in Leland's June 2005 auction.

Lot 1104. Rare 1st Edition American Card Catalogue
The first ever edition of the book that started it all. Rare 1953 American Card Catalogue covers everything from baseball cards to silks, blankets, rugs, coffee, soda, candy, cigars, and even the Bible. No '52 Bowman's. The catalogue (subtitled "A Gateway to Enchantment of days gone by" on page 1) is VG-EX, with familiar cover of a maiden spewing a cornucopia of cards. As tough to find as some of the cards inside.

Reserve: $175
Number of Bids: 8
Final Bid: $487.17
Price Realized:$572.42
(Price Realized Includes Buyer's Premium)

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 12-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

I see that Mastronet published Cardboard Gems a book about cards from 1869 to 1969. Has any of you read the book. Does it do a good job of reviewing pre-war cards.

Peter