NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-02-2002, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC is in! (and nice)

Posted By: runscott

I was very pleasantly surprised to see a photo from the SportsCardsPlus auction that ended April 24, and other current stuff. Very nice issue with lots of readable articles, but they seem to be hurting for writers - some boxing-card collector is getting to publish!

What's up with that autographed Waddell ticket going for $29K and the autographed t206 green Cobb only fetching $3.8?

Old 05-02-2002, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff

I asked myself the same question. I was the underbidder on the Cobb, and if anybody out there has got another one (ha, ha, ha) I am interested .

But in all seriousness, there are TONS of Cobb autographs out there. I figure that everybody who wants one (except for me, who demands it be on a card) has one - almost like Ruth. Such is not the case with Waddell. Not sure that accounts for all 25K of difference, though.

Old 05-02-2002, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

is just about one of the toughest Baseball Hall of Fame autographs there are. There are some others that are slightly scarcer (some of the Negro Leaguers and some of the HOF'ers who died before Waddell -- who passed along in 1914)...

Cobb was a prolific signer in his day, and his signatures appear all over the place (auctions with over twenty of his personal checks in one lot, autographs cut into new baseball cards, etc.)

From a pricing standpoint, $29K really is a huge difference over $4k. However, the supply factor is not even close. Ty Cobb has nearly a dozen signatures on Ebay right now, plus 21 checks in the Mastro auction. I don't know anyone who has even seen that many Waddell autos in their lifetime.

Old 05-02-2002, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Hodes

Not only did he die young but I from what I've read about the fun-loving Rube chasing fire trucks etc. I can't imagine he used his signature (if he even really had one)much at all. Poor guy probably never had a normal checking account or signed anything offical except maybe some baseball contracts etc.
Meanwhile Cobb was (pardon the pun) a tycoon and died a multi-millionaire (Coke stock) back when you could never hope to make that playing sports or doing much of anything for that matter.
He was possibly -- after AG Spaulding -- the first Baseball player to become a Millionaire!
Rube died destitute.

Old 05-03-2002, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

VCBC hasn't made it down South yet, at least not down this way.

Old 05-03-2002, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

Still waiting in Seattle too... you know, I loved it when Purdy owned the magazine because it was published in and mailed from Tacoma, WA, about 30 miles from Seattle. Now it's about as far away from here as you can get... oh well.

Jeff

Old 05-03-2002, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

Hey Tbob,
It made it as far South as North Carolina today, maybe you'll get yours tommorrow. Adam has a few nice articles, and there is an extensive review of recent auctions. I look forward to the next issue. be well brian

Old 05-03-2002, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

So much for living near the Big Apple!

Old 05-05-2002, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

It reached Ohio today!

Old 05-10-2002, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

Received my copy Tuesday...out of curiosity, has anyone else out there not received theirs yet?

Brian Parker

Old 05-10-2002, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I'd been having trouble getting VCBC. December before last, it didn't come at all. #30 was sent priority mail and voila, instant VCBC! Since I know contributers automatically get theirs priority mail, it can't be too much of a hassle. i just sent Don a check for $28--for #30 and 7 more issues priority mail.

(Don had said something about how i read to a little old lady for a living, so I ought to get mine priority mail. I don't know if he meant every issue or not!)

Old 05-10-2002, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

I have not yet received my copy (which was to be the first in a yearlong subscription). I figure I will wait a week, and if I don't receive it by then I will ask for a complete refund and forget the entire situation. I would enjoy reading it, and perhaps contributing, but, as it's been more than a month and a half since I paid, I see no patience for patience on my part.

Old 05-11-2002, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Haven't received it yet... (Miami, Florida)

Old 05-11-2002, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

it arrived to my igloo in Texas (Dallas area) yesterday....haven't read all of the articles ...but did read Adam's.....I will first say that I applaud anyone for trying to help the hobby and that is what he is trying to do. I agree with most of the article but he (if you are reading Adam I don't mean to be talking around you or in 3rd person to you...I hated that when that a** did it to me)....but I will politely agree to disagree on some of your thoughts....it is a nice lengthy article, and you explained yourself well, but I am still not sure if you are against or for the grading companies.....although you like your high end cards slabbed....and I also agree with you that I still like SGC the best.....haven't had exposure to the gay guys yet......(pun intended) ....regards all

Old 05-11-2002, 10:26 AM
Administrator

...just call them and ask them what's going on! With all the flux over there, they might have lost an address or gotten their mailing list screwed up.

Call: 800-417-7670

Old 05-11-2002, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

Got my copy about 3-4 days ago. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it looks pretty good.

Jeff

Old 05-11-2002, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: autograf

the Kentucky Derby running last Saturday, mine made it to the bluegrass state with no problem...........let's hope #31 is on track!

Old 05-16-2002, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

My VCBC just arrived today, May 15th. Am I the last in the country to get it?

Old 05-18-2002, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett Domue

Mine arrived yesterday (May 16) after making the long and difficult journey from Maryland to Connecticut.

Old 05-18-2002, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

I used to have HUGE problems when getting it from Dennis Purdy as well. Course he was in Seattle and I in KY. Anyway, I take every opportunity to dog the USPS since I work for UPS, so I'll blame this one on them too......................

Old 05-22-2002, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

For the record, I never received a copy of the magazine and cancelled my subscription.

Old 05-22-2002, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

last year around this time i tried to order a subscription to vcbc and had the worst experience. 2 weeks after i placed the order,i called to see where it was,told it would be in the mail the next morning.2 weeks later,i called told again it would be in the mail immediately.2 weeks later i cancelled. just over a month and a half after i paid,and after 3 calls no magazine....the only reason i gave them that long was because i heard so many good things about it but ive still never seen any issues of this magazine,so i would probably be the last person to recommend it to anyone

Old 05-29-2002, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robbie Culpepper

I still don't know how I got it. I asked Scott, but he didn't take credit...whoever did...thanks a lot... I have two close friends who are looking more and more to the past for baseball enjoyment, but one is dead-set against fiction (I've tried to brib him to read Sidd Finch- his loss) & I'm still educating the other, who I had to tear away from Finch, and is now reading 'If I Never Get Back' (1869 Red Stockings)- but is still tempted by newer slabbed cards. Say, while I'm rambling, does anyone know where the best place to find 1966 Royal Crown Columbus (GA) Yankees (I have three) and Walter Mails Game cards (I have one) or cards of Walter Mails himself? I do have the 1923 Willard Chocolates. I love this forum... you guys (and gal!) are great!

Old 05-30-2002, 07:04 AM
Administrator

others have reported similar experiences

Old 06-01-2002, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Magazine was on the wrong mail box and condo administrator told me today!!

Looking good so far!