NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 12-22-2018, 03:10 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default Pele: >$1,000 Sale for a Non-Rookie

Wow, this is the first time I remember seen the sale of a vintage (not a modern 1/1 or auto) Pele card for more than $1K that wasn't his rookie year(s) (1958 - 1959):

1962 Nannina Mondiali Del Cile PSA 4 - $1,031

I like this card a lot and I know that PWCC can command a premium, but that is about 2x - 3x what I would have expected that card to go for.

Maybe this is a sign of what is to come with rare / high-end Pele cards. That would be great on one hand because I own some and frustrating on the other because it would eliminate me from the playing field (which is why I moved from baseball to Pele in the first place - I don't have budget to pick up the baseball cards I like in this range).

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the topic. Have you seen other Pele non-rookies go for this much? Is this good or bad for the soccer card hobby?

Also, on a side note, how many different vintage (pre-1980) soccer cards are there that have ever sold for more than $1K. I can think of a half dozen Pele, plus key rookies of Platini, Maradona, Cruyff, and a few others. I'd be surprised if there are more than 20 cards that can command this price.
(edited to add: I just remembered a number a few early English cards that can also command this price. But I can only think of ~20. The total population of vintage soccer that could be $1K or more might be only 40 - 50 different cards).

Last edited by Collect Equity; 12-22-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:59 AM
Arthur R!ch

I love it. Who wants to buy some 60s Pele cards?

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx

Last edited by HasselhoffsCheeseburger; 12-23-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:00 AM
Arthur R!ch

I love it. Who wants to buy some 60s Pele cards?

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 12-25-2018, 02:23 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

A thousand dollars for a 62' Nannina Pele is quite a lot, in my opinion. This card is not rare at all. Furthermore, I believe he has two cards from this set (one with a straight face and the other is of him smiling).

There are other Pele cards from the 60s that are a lot more difficult to find. One of my favorites is the 1962 E.D.I. Milano Calciocampioni Mondiali Del Cile:

Old 12-25-2018, 06:27 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
A thousand dollars for a 62' Nannina Pele is quite a lot, in my opinion.
I totally agree that this is a lot of money for a Nannina. There are a lot of other good candidates of 1960s Pele cards I would have guessed to reach $1K before this one.

Quote:
. This card is not rare at all. Furthermore, I believe he has two cards from this set (one with a straight face and the other is of him smiling).
It does have two variations in the set. In some ways having two variations in the set could be an argument for bringing it down in price. But for me it's the opposite as variations increase a cards desirability because once I get one I need the other variation(s).

One interesting thing to note is the side facing (smiling) variation also sold in the same auction in a higher grade (PSA 4.5 v. PSA 4) for just shy of $800 (See LINK)

I haven't seen one or the other variation being more rare, so I am guessing it's just a matter of who is bidding. In comparing the two cards, the 3 highest bidders were: $1,031, $1,006, & $777 for the front facing PSA 4 and $796, $786, and $654 for the Side Facing (smiling) PSA 4.5 card. So they actually would have both ended in the same exact ballpark if the two $1K bids hadn't both been placed. I am guessing that the price discrepancy is just related to luck of who's bidding and there was also likely a $1K bid on the second Nannina as well but no one bumped it up.

Quote:
There are other Pele cards from the 60s that are a lot more difficult to find. One of my favorites is the 1962 E.D.I. Milano Calciocampioni Mondiali Del Cile:
This card also has two variations, one with and without writing. Do you know if these were released by the same manufacturer? Also, have you seen one as being more rare than the other?
Old 12-26-2018, 11:01 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collect Equity View Post
Do you know if these were released by the same manufacturer? Also, have you seen one as being more rare than the other?
Sorry, I have no clue.