NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-22-2002, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Default Question for Old Judge Collectors

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Started collecting OJ's again after 7 years.

Been watching some OJ's on eBay but don't know exactly recent price ranges.

Can someone please tell me aprox. dollar values for commons/HOF/etc in different conditions as well as graded ones?

BTW, here are the last 2 I bought (but haven't paid) from my brother in law. Damn difficult scanner...

Thx!

Old 05-22-2002, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

but McGuire is never gonna catch that ball unless he reaches out for it - can't he see the string sticking out of the top?

Old 05-22-2002, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

It's a Christmas ornament

Old 05-22-2002, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

I just paid a little over $9,000 for a rare PSA 5 Old Judge Hall of Famer's card that I needed. In this instance, I was an overpaying idiot that really wanted the card.

Even more recently I paid $3,000 for PSA 6 Old Judge HOF'er and $6,000 for a PSA 8 Old Judge HOF'er. These prices are probably more indicative of reasonable prices, but then again these cards are not as rare as the other one.

Old 05-22-2002, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

was in Lew Lipset's auction a year ago October. $2300 for a fine Radbourn ex-mint (with 10% juice). next auction, $2300 wouldn't buy me SQUAT in ex-mint! Won an Old Judge Kelly from Jay Miller on e-bay in the last few months,
$1600+ graded PSA 4, but everyone seemed to agree thaT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN GRADED EX-MINT. eXCEPT THE TOP BORDER SLOPES A LITTLE. nICE CENTERIBNG, CONTRAST, CLEAN CARD. Bidding was very competitive. Bought a ex+ Connor from Terry Knouse at the last Tri Star in S.F.--Feb? I think so. For $2200. (not sure about the date on that one). And since then, bought a vg+ Galvin also from T.K. for $1300.

Old 05-22-2002, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

.....instead of college-aged children, I could play with the big boys (and girls!) and buy graded Old Judge Hall of Famers.

But some of us have to be happy with our ungraded commons! Thank God, I happen to love them. I have been very lucky and have been able to keep whittling down my list for anywhere between $250 to $350 a pop for decent (VG/EX to EXMT) cards of true commons (guys like Long John Reilly or George Pinkney as opposed to Harry Stovey or Pete Browning).

P.S. Julie - I believe that was me you beat out for the Radbourn in Lew's auction. So if you ever want to sell it for your cost, let me know!

Old 05-23-2002, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Holliday is a common non-HOFer. Nothing special about that card.

Old 05-23-2002, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Old 05-23-2002, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Those are two really nice Old Judge. For common non-HOFers a nice unslabbed card should go for about $300. Slabbed cards go alot higher as we saw the other night when BMW sold an SGC86 for $1000.HOFer prices vary widely based on scarcity. A Ward in average condition should sell for about $600-$700, while a McPhee (or Wright, or Delahanty, or Connor, or Mack) in the same condition could sell for many times that amount. The most valuable cards are not HOFers, but rare non-HOFers. These can sell for tens of thousands of dollars and in one or two cases, if the stars are properly alligned, could hit six figures.

Old 05-23-2002, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

I agree with you Jay, as I have spent $650 for a common player in EX (but it does have a great photo) and only paid around $550 a peace for a Ward, Keefe (horizontal), and Comisky all in vg-ex condition, in the October Lipset auction. I know that I was very fortunate to pick those cards up so cheap, but never the less there are many common cards that could grab way over $1,000 in any condition. By the way the Holliday N172 that BMW sold on ebay is a very tough card from what I hear, Jay I have recently been putting together a N172 Des Moines team set and have found out that many of the players needed to complete this set are extremely rare and hard to find, but thanks to Jay, Kevin, and a lot of extra money I have only 3 more to go out of 14.

Trevor Hocking

Old 05-23-2002, 01:35 PM
Administrator

I think it waas Halley who beat me out for the ex-mint Pud Galvin. So, what goes around....

I made a mistake. "$2200 for an ex+ O'Rourke, not a Connor" from terry Knause.

The Radbourn is my favorite card (and that includes my new Mayo Anson, very nice!). No way would I sell it. But I'm getting old, and my kids aren't interested, so I will write your name down for the Radbourn. Sniff.

Halley, i see you still haven't posted a Delahanty. Should I write you down for my Mayo D? It does gave a small crease accross lower left. Hopefully by the time I kick the bucket, you'll have a nice one.

This would be a really good idea, if it wasn't so morbid!

Old 05-23-2002, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

No it wasn't a proof, but for the condition it was in and the money I had to shell out for it, it should have been. I personally believe in the case of players like Bug Holliday, Silver Flint, and others with catchy names, some collectors will pay a premium for there cards. I paid $225 for a my Holliday in poor condition and was very happy with the transaction. I know I paid a little to much for it, but I just had to have it. I'm always willing to pay top dollar for cards I really need.

Old 05-23-2002, 02:25 PM
Administrator

I actually HAVE finally reached 100% completion on my Hall of Fame set ... but I just haven't taken the time to scan in my new (and costly) additions!!!

Here is a complete checklist of the set as it stands now:

http://www.psacard.com/new_set_registry/display_cards.chtml?rsetid=2006&alltime=yes&rank=1&tied=0&requesttimeout=9999

Old 05-23-2002, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Hal---how long were you going to hold off on telling us about the McPhee? Congratulations on completing the "base" set. One question---How did you get PSA to grade the Boston cabinet?

Old 05-23-2002, 06:31 PM
Administrator

I bribed the PSA graders to get them to grade it ... but they cursed me in return by never grading any of my other cards any higher than 1.

Old 05-23-2002, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Congrats Hal !!

Is there a place online to check the complete OJ checklist, like the one SCBC had in the past?

Jimmy

Old 05-23-2002, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian K. Hodes

Besides getting cards of whomever gets inducted what's next ? Just curious.

Old 05-24-2002, 04:45 AM
Administrator

I will slow down a bit, but I will always be interested in upgrading each card in my collection.

As more people start getting their vintage cards graded by PSA, then there will be more selection. Right now, most of my cards are the highest ever graded, so upgrading is risky because an ungraded card may look nice but may not actually get a higher grade.

BUT ... if you guys are nice enough to send the cards to PSA as part of the deal ... then I can agree to buy the card if it does score higher!!

I would like to find some Old Judge cards of Clark Griffith, Ed Delahanty and Wilbert Robinson to replace the Mayos I have now, since my goal is always to get the "oldest" cards possible for every HOF player.

I would also like a high grade (PSA 7 or 8) 1887 N28 Allen & Ginters card of Charles Comsikey.

Little help, anyone?

Old 05-24-2002, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

It sold in the middle of a weekday for about $500 BIN - I collect Griffith, but not OJ's and somehow missed it.

Old 05-24-2002, 10:02 AM
Administrator

You sure got that McPhee quietly!

Old 05-24-2002, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

My SGC4 Ed Delehanty to Andy Baran for a Cameo Pepsin pin of Cy Young and some cash.............sorry!

Old 05-24-2002, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Old 05-25-2002, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

Sad about it, but also happy because I love the Cy Young pin.....have picked up 3-4 more Cameo's since that one to keep him company in the safe.......

Old 05-25-2002, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Tom,

I completely understand. I miss the Young Pin as well. It is one of the only Young images that I know of where he doesn't look like an old man.