NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2010, 09:38 AM

Default here we go again...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Bowman-Step...#ht_500wt_1154

WOW-sers
Old 06-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

I'd buy the holder!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Clayton

$18,000.00,,,,,,,,,,,,,??

What am I missing here? I know he's a wicked pitcher, but what's up with the inflated prices?

Clayton
Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
$18,000.00,,,,,,,,,,,,,??

What am I missing here? I know he's a wicked pitcher, but what's up with the inflated prices?

Clayton
its just new, and people love "new"....just like a new set of shoes, new style gear.....people are dumb

funny thing is, he could go on to win ROY, 5 cy youngs...etc...and i still be this card wont go above 5-7 grand in 10 years
Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Donny Muth

Default For $18,000 ...

What would you buy? Right now the bid is $18k and I can think of a ton of vintage stuff that I've always wanted and would be able to get if I had $18k to blow. What vintage cards or memorabilia would you spend your $18k on? Just curious.

I might...
-- Fill in a bunch of holes in my T206 set including some HOF'ers and rare backs
-- Pick up some 1900-1930's HOF'er cards and/or autographs
-- Start an Old Judge subset
-- Add to my T3 set (currently consisting of a single card )

Those are probably too vanilla for some of you advanced collectors. So, let's hear what you would get?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Clayton

Very true, I just find it amazing that a players card could go for so much with hardly any history behind him. We'll see what the future brings,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Clayton
Old 06-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default it's a gamble.....

To me it's just another gamble at that price. Hey, we do it all of the time with pre-war. That is just a shiny new card they are doing it with.

For 18k there are thousands of pre-war cards I could buy. Heck the uniquely known 1915 Thorpe I picked up was only half that cost.

It's fun to watch this new stuff though...
Old 06-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Clayton

If I had $18,000.00 to spend on cards I would spend it all on T206's. I would buy a Magie error,each Cobb, and pick up any HOFers that I don't have yet

Clayton
Old 06-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Matt Hall

I looked at the completed listings for his orange refractor, I saw a couple go for around 3k, then about a week later they started ending around 4,800. If I was the 3k buyer I'd be selling already.

(although I don't have the guts to spend 3k on a 2010 baseball card)
Old 06-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Pup6913

A Hobby No Stats in Grade 4-5. Or about 25% the rest of my T205 set that I need in grade 4's and higher with a few rare backs included.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Jim D

id probably buy a Harley, rather then cards.... and a really nice tv.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Hell with half that money I could buy damn near every card I've ever wanted and have money left to spare.

Good for the sellers, making out like crazy. I was in an antique store yesterday that had busted a bunch of boxes of 2010 Bowman. They had a handful of base Chrome Strasburgs with a huge sticker on them, 'NO DISCOUNT, $65.'

I'm in the DC area so the hype around here is insane but c'mon!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Bruce Babcock

66 bids so far. I was on the fence but with free shipping?!? I'm in.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffda51 View Post
66 bids so far. I was on the fence but with free shipping?!? I'm in.
Uffda51 --- your old judge card looks like Dan Patrick ( sorry if thats been said )
Old 06-20-2010, 07:53 PM

$26,000 now. P.T. Barnum must be rolling in his grave laughing.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Matt Hall

That guy is going to have a down payment on a house when its all said and done.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Jim D

crazy, for his $100 investment, he is probably going to end up with 40k+

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Bilko Glasier

heres a story and a picture of the man who bought the Strasburg Superfractor for $16K last week

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=5290998
Old 06-20-2010, 11:32 PM

I heard his step-father is Joe Charboneau.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Matt Hall

Default I read the story.

He should sell it
Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Ryan Christoff

It's just as silly to me that anyone would spend $18,000 on T206s. And it's silly to some other collectors what I spend my money on.

Everyone's always saying how "real" collectors buy what they like. Well what if that's what this guy likes? It's not what I like or what almost anyone who reads this board would like. But if the high bidder likes it, good for him.

I voice my opinion on how silly it is by not bidding on it.

-Ryan
Old 06-21-2010, 05:09 AM
Tony Quinn

It makes no difference what you "like" and although you can spend your money as you wish, a purchase like this will always be percived as ridiculous by 99.999% of the population. No new card has EVER held it's value (see: Clemens, Gooden, Strawberry, Valenzuela, Prior, Wood, Canseco, McGwire etc.). Even HOF'ers like Boggs, Gwynn, Puckett and the like can be had for practically nothing these days. It's all HYPE. The guy who bought the Strasburg might as well sew it into his suit because he'll be buried with it. Worthless crap IMO.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
It makes no difference what you "like" and although you can spend your money as you wish, a purchase like this will always be percived as ridiculous by 99.999% of the population. No new card has EVER held it's value (see: Clemens, Gooden, Strawberry, Valenzuela, Prior, Wood, Canseco, McGwire etc.). Even HOF'ers like Boggs, Gwynn, Puckett and the like can be had for practically nothing these days. It's all HYPE. The guy who bought the Strasburg might as well sew it into his suit because he'll be buried with it. Worthless crap IMO.
Albert Pujols, Ichiro, A-Rod, Jeter

Some have held... Just sayin'
Old 06-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default true....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoizeBringer View Post
I voice my opinion on how silly it is by not bidding on it.

-Ryan
and posting it on Net54baseball.com .......

To reiterate....I agree with you Ryan....It's this guy's money and he can do what he wants with it. Not a lot different than what we do, except there is more of a liklihood our pre-war items will hold more value than the card he bought. (imo)
Old 06-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Not a lot different than what we do, except there is more of a liklihood our pre-war items will hold more value than the card he bought. (imo)
There is risk and reward with everything, of course, as with baseball cards. That $16,000 Super Refractor purchase looks pretty sweet now, as it is probably now worth at least $10,000 more than the purchaser paid a couple of weeks ago. The trick is to sell before it comes down to earth, which will inevitably happen.

"Holding value" is time and issue relative.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Barry Sloate

That's exactly right. The purchaser of the Refractor card probably has a golden opportunity right now to make a big profit due to Strasburg's incredible start and media exposure. But if he holds it too long it will inevitably go down in value. The novelty of it is bound to wear off. Of course, he may not care and just prefer to keep it.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
The novelty of it is bound to wear off.

What???!!! Are you saying that you think Strasburg may actually LOSE a game at some point in his career?

What a doubter you are. I foresee 512 straight wins!
Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Paul

Default There's also condition rarity...

One of my colleagues heard I collected baseball cards and brought in from home two of his favorites. 1 was a 1966 Topps Mantle in G-VG condition. The other was a 1991/92 Donruss Elites Cal Ripken Certified Auto card. Guess which one is worth more? The Ripken by twice as much. When I told him this, he was dumbfounded. I tried to explain that the Mantle could be worth many hundreds or more if it were in better condition. But I have to agree with him that on some levels, the price disparity -- condition notwithstanding -- is a bit ridiculous.

@SignedT206
Old 06-21-2010, 09:45 AM

I think it is wonderful that there are collectors out there willing to pay exorbitant and even idiotic prices for brand new shiney cards. More power to them, at least they won't be bidding against me for pre-war stuff. Let them use their disposable income on bling.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
What a doubter you are. I foresee 512 straight wins!
In all honesty, even if he pulls off 512 straight wins, I don't see the card retaining it's value. Is there a card of Pujols that was worth over $10k when he started that is still worth that?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
In all honesty, even if he pulls off 512 straight wins, I don't see the card retaining it's value. Is there a card of Pujols that was worth over $10k when he started that is still worth that?
I have no idea, but no one in my memory has had this amount of publicity BEFORE his first major league appearance. Maybe not since Brien Taylor or even David Clyde (and look how well those worked out.)

My favorite part is the way the media has approached the Nats "bringing him along slowly" just because he spent 2 months in the minors. That is a joke. He was the best pitcher on their staff since the first day of spring training. They kept him in the minors until after June 1 so that they would have an extra year before he can become a free agent. They weren't "bringing him along slowly." They were trading 2 months now for an extra year of lower pay 6-7 years from now!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
I have no idea, but no one in my memory has had this amount of publicity BEFORE his first major league appearance. Maybe not since Brien Taylor or even David Clyde (and look how well those worked out.)

My favorite part is the way the media has approached the Nats "bringing him along slowly" just because he spent 2 months in the minors. That is a joke. He was the best pitcher on their staff since the first day of spring training. They kept him in the minors until after June 1 so that they would have an extra year before he can become a free agent. They weren't "bringing him along slowly." They were trading 2 months now for an extra year of lower pay 6-7 years from now!
Agreed, 100%. I wonder if the union will fight this when the CBA expires. Could be really interesting/annoying.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Barry Sloate

That's exactly why they kept him down, as a money saving move.

There's another rookie who is going gangbusters but not getting as much publicity- Carlos Santana. I never saw a rookie batting third in a major league line up right out of the minors. And last time I looked he was hitting .393 with power.

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-21-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:31 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Curious! Did Puljols have any 1 of 1 rookie cards in his day, if so what do they go for?
I think its great that a card can generate this kind of publicity & this kind of pricetag.
Not my cup of tea at all, but more power to the winning bidder, its his money.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Dave

Anybody else notice the Jason Heyword Chrome card go for over 6K a couple weeks ago or so.

I also saw a Strasburg 1/1 Card from the same set............called a Red Parallel or something, sell for about 4.8K a week or two ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-STRASBUR...item4aa1c71e66

Why the disparity with the chrome superfractor thingy. I mean, a 1/1 is a 1/1............right?

It really is madness I think.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Ryan Christoff

Are there ANY examples of these types of cards (shiny, new, manufactured scarcity) that have gotten more valuable? I've been curious about this. Going back a decade or so, can anyone give any examples? It seems to me that if someone speculates on a prospect and nails it, they should get a big payday for it, but I'm pretty sure that's not at all how it works. Are there any stories of it working that way?

-Ryan
Old 06-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Paul

Default Bret Saberhagen

I once witnessed a guy write a check for $1,000 for a lot of 100 Bret Saberhagen rookies, after he won his 2nd Cy Young award.

@SignedT206
Old 06-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Bruce Babcock

Default The more things change . . .

I was hanging out in a card shop when Fernandomania was just cranking up and his card was going for about $5. Some blowhard walked into the shop and insisted on paying $25 for one.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Jim D

he just wanted the 5 times the value version.... a fool and their money are soon parted!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:17 PM

If I were the guy who bought the Strasburg card for $16,000 dollars, I would buy a one way ticket to Washington D.C. and take the card to a car dealership and trade the card, straight up, for a $25,000 dollar car and then drive back home.

Why? Because I am pretty sure the car dealer could turn around and sell the card for a profit and the guy from Michigan will get more value and utility out of the car, over the next seven to 10 years, than he is going to get out of the Strasburg card.

David
Old 06-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffda51 View Post
I was hanging out in a card shop when Fernandomania was just cranking up and his card was going for about $5. Some blowhard walked into the shop and insisted on paying $25 for one.
He was probably using the SMR for pricing
Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
If I were the guy who bought the Strasburg card for $16,000 dollars, I would buy a one way ticket to Washington D.C. and take the card to a car dealership and trade the card, straight up, for a $25,000 dollar car and then drive back home.

Why? Because I am pretty sure the car dealer could turn around and sell the card for a profit and the guy from Michigan will get more value and utility out of the car, over the next seven to 10 years, than he is going to get out of the Strasburg card.

David
Well the guy from Michigan, who bought the Strasburg superfractor for $16K is going for the old fliparoo. He has the super up for sale now and its already over $13, 000 on the first day

Wonder what type of profit he makes?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-BOWMAN-CHRO...item23080ca4f8
Old 06-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Steve Yawitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
I'm guessing 99.84 percent of the population sees what we do as ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I think new cards are a poor investment unless you have impeccable timing, but the value of Strasburg cards could, in theory at least, be positively impacted by his on-field performance. Ty Cobb, what have you done for me lately?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 AM

THIS IS HILARIOUS

http://cgi.ebay.com/1988-Topps-Ron-G...#ht_1251wt_912

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawie99 View Post
I'm guessing 99.84 percent of the population sees what we do as ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I think new cards are a poor investment unless you have impeccable timing, but the value of Strasburg cards could, in theory at least, be positively impacted by his on-field performance. Ty Cobb, what have you done for me lately?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Scott

hahahahhahahaa

Last edited by GrayGhost; 06-22-2010 at 09:06 AM. Reason: description
Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Bill

Wish I had 10k in the cookie jar, that Guidry would look SWEET in my collection!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Scott

Hopefully the first guy will pay his taxes on the gain. Capital gain tax rate for a collectible is 28 pct max, depending on his other income.

Last edited by GrayGhost; 06-22-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
Very funny. Make sure to read the questions and answers the seller posted with this listing!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Jim D

that's good stuff... Pabst is the only way i roll! Least someone has a sense of humor!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post

Ha!

That is great.