NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Default Banning people....one more down.....Jay B.

Posted By: leon

With much thought given to it I have taken the advice of so many respected board members and banned Jay Behrens, at least for the time being. I am sort of sorry it had to come to this but at the end of the day I do have to listen to the board members. The welfare of the board depends on these types of decisions. As Joann so eloquently put it I really do feel it is OUR board and not my board. I have gotten so many emails, it's not even close, about doing this. After many chances given, and the continued rants, I feel I was losing credibility with the board. Jay and Scott have their own board where they can do what they want. I will not let 1-2 bad apples spoil a good thing.. Thanks again for the support from so many board members. It's truly humbling. I know a few will disagree with this decision but I have spoken to enough people whom I respect, and got their input, that I feel this is not only warranted, but needed... ...Now we can get back to cards...best regards

Old 09-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I guess the other board will be pretty busy over the next few days.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...try not to lose too much sleep over these kinds of decisions. It is not a democracy -- and, in any event, it is not a communist state of equal access with no profiteering allowed.

If someone is being a jerk, by all means cut them off. The standard for expulsion from an internet chat board about old cardboard need not be set so high.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Life is far far too short to be wasting time dealing with incessantly negative behavior.

Leon, he has another Board? that he runs? How does he stay so active on this one, then? No matter. On to bigger and better things!

How does everyone else like their eggs?
Slabbed or raw?

Old 09-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed McCollum

cracked out of their shell.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I tried staying away as much as I could and the situation got real bad. When I started using this website I was hoping to use this as a resource for my new website - maybe a banner advertising in the near future, posting items in the B/S/T. I am a bit quiet when it comes to most of the trends as many become get to personal and way off topic. Let’s face it, I am glued to this hobby and will continue to support this board, but this is a hobby and we are talking about baseball cards. There are not too many places we can go and find the resources - both for collectors and advertisers. I myself still hope to advertise with Leon, because I think he runs this website very well and gives options to everyone in the hobby. Many of us are collectors first, but we are all dealers in some way or another because of our expertise whether we are doing eBay auctions, shows, buying and trading with one another. If I had a lot of money, sure I would be doing less dealing and more collecting, but the hobby is in my thoughts all the time. I am always trying to learn more and help others along the way. Everyone has the right to voice their opinions, but sometimes it just goes in the wrong direction.

Jimmy

Old 09-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I've avoided getting into this fray....and at some point I lost track, but was Dorskind also banned....or,
at least suspended ?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RIch Klein

Like I said; being called a liar is a severe personal attack. At that point, Jay either needed to apologize or leave. HE made the choice --

Regards
Rich

Old 09-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Just wanted to add a small point of my own to all of this. You know, it sucks when Leon and I receive emails or see posts that read along the lines of “…you know, I’d post a lot more if it wasn’t for all the fighting and bickering…”. I think even Jimmy is saying that to a degree in his post above. This is horrible for us to hear because so many of the people that I’ve heard this from in the past are individuals who have contributed a lot to this board in the past and no longer feel comfortable doing so. I think the community as a whole loses out when people with knowledge and true passion for this hobby no longer are interested in posting their own beliefs, experiences and insight. I see really solid questions asked all the time that are really great questions, yet they fall straight to the second page right away because people with the knowledge or answer to that question no longer feel like contributing. Like Chris was saying in another thread, the “popular” threads on this board always seem to be of the “train wreck variety” where a bunch of fighting breaks out. These are the ones constantly bumped to the top (until they’re locked) and the ones that go over 100 for a post count. How often do you see us breaking the 100-post mark without a huge fight going on inside the thread? Seems to me that it happens very seldom nowadays.

So when it comes down to it, we have certain individuals on the board that are making the forum a less enjoyable experience in general. I have nothing against Jay personally as I’ve always gotten along with him in the past, but at some point, you have to look at what certain individuals are contributing and if their contributions are mainly personal attacks and negativity, then maybe this forum isn’t the best place for that individual. Heck, maybe that person feels the same way since the negativity and complaining has to come from somewhere. I think it might be best to part ways with some of these individuals because I feel people should feel free to come here, post their thoughts and ideas, learn a little bit and enjoy their time spent on our board. If there are a couple individuals who consistantly prevent others from doing that, we need to take a closer look at things. If we need to lose a couple people for the betterment of the entire community as a whole, then I think it’s time we consider doing so. When I hear that people are afraid to post because they fear personal attacks and ridicule, then there’s something wrong with the system. When the number of threads consisting of fighting and personal attacks start to outnumber the number of threads covering solid hobby discussion, then there’s something wrong with the system. I certainly don’t blame Jay for all the fighting that goes on but I am hoping that this sets a precedent for behavior on the board. That maybe we’re a little closer to no longer having to deal with such a large amount of negativity, personal attacks and pessimism on this forum.

Brian McQueen
redmaccie@hotmail.com

Old 09-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

At first, I felt some reservations because Jay B. shared the death of his babies with us...but it is clear that he was the same way before the miscarriage. So at least a temporary ban is a good idea.

Peter C.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

God help us all!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Bruce Dorskind has not been banned. He has promised to stop sending private emails to folks unless he is buying, selling, or trading. At least this stuff can be left on the board. I think, at this point, that was enough. If he doesn't keep his word then we will deal with it at that time....I do feel I have a responsiblity to protect board members from abusive people when it originates from board issues. take care...

Old 09-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

If there are people out there who are too timid or intimidated to post because of something Jay B, Jim C or Bruce said then they probably should just disconnect from the internet or stay away from chatboards in general. I have no problem with Leon banning whoever he wants, but I expect all those folks who emailed Leon and are intimidated by Jay to start coming out of the woodwork to post now. It's now up to these lurkers to actually contribute something to the board other than the occasional drive by hit.

edited out irrelevant content.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

As Brian and others have said (and I think that was Brian's longest and most eloquent post ) this board should always be a civil place where people can come to visit. As Leon can corroborate with the daily hits, there are many people looking at the board each day who do not post. Some of them may be new to the hobby, and as such feel insecure about posting. But they may also be afraid to do so, because they see how easily someone can be attacked. They may feel that if they post something stupid, they will become the butt of somebody's sarcasm and nastiness.

This is not the first time the issue of decorum has been brought up. And to take it a step further, and I discussed this with Leon earlier today, Leon does have one specific obligation to all his advertisers, and that's to keep as many people looking at this board as possible. If we make ourselves out to look like a bunch of uncouth yahoos, then we are going to lose a lot of that traffic.

Jay is not the first to be banned, and while Bruce hasn't been, he likewise has an obligation to carry himself around here with a little more class. All of these distracting threads hurt the board. Period.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Well Barry now that Jay has been banned and Bruce has been warned I'm guessing the discourse with all those timid lurkers will skyrocket the conversation around here. All those who complained to Leon should be inundating this messageboard with questions and their knowledge.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator

I want to point out how I feel with respect to something you said. I feel my biggest obligation is to the forum members and then somewhere after that the advertisers. The banners could go and it wouldn't hurt me too much, believe it or not. If too many board members left I would hate it. Otherwise I agree with everything you said.

Dan B- I understand your feelings and I do want to clarify something if I wasn't clear or miscommunicated before. Of the folks that emailed me there might have been 1 lurker. The rest are regular board memebers saying they very much supported banning Jay. It was folks on the board every day but they didn't really want to get too involved publicly. Sorry if I mispoke ....regards

edited grammar....it still ain't good

Old 09-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Well hopefully it does bring out some more folks to add input or questions. It is amazing to think of all the people that do come across the board daily and you have maybe what 20 people that might post on a daily basis?

Just like the other week when Bill sold his entire T206 collection to a lurker...you would think that lurker would have some knowledge to add to the T206 discussions....and would be nice if folks like that would join in from time to time.

If Peter C would just calm down and quit jumping on people

Old 09-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Actually, I've noticed that you have been posting less on the main board recently. Any ideas on making posting more enjoyable for lurkers?

Peter C.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

please allow me to post my dissent. I think it was a bad idea.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Bruce's posts were (and no doubt will continue to be) overinflated pomp, often interesting, but were never name-calling or threatening. I think most people lived with that and make fun of it as well and that was that. (Jay was of course a different set of circumstances.) Where I have a problem with Bruce was his garnering of our emails and their tone to the recipients. I happened to get a chance to read some and, although the ones I saw were not literally threatening, they could easily be interpreted as downright crazed and spooky. This seems to have occured over a protracted period of time. I hope the idea of that doesn't keep others way from here. All I can say is, Leon, if I ever have to appear in court I hope you are my judge!

Old 09-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Two questions.

1. Why do you think it was a bad idea to ban Jay?

2. If you were me would you have banned him?

It's everyone's right on this board to express their views, per the forum rules.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

you had to do that but I think you gave him every chance....again.....

I understand some people's concern about banner ads, I do. I also understand some people's concern about appearing improper when defending Mastro or other advertisers. I can see the point. But you can only beat the dead horse so long.

Hopefully we'll have another period of just good threads until the next train wreck. Not a matter of IF but when............

Old 09-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Leon - thanks for the follow up comment to the conversation about your duty to advertisers. Frankly, I thought it was a perfect example of what I talked about at length yesterday - the tiny little things that start linking advertisers' interests to board policies.

Board decorum? Good. Becuase of duty to advertisers? No. Your only duty to advertisers should be to display their ads in the place and at the times paid for. Anything more starts down the slippery slope.

And I would have preferred Jay not be banned. It's no secret that I support Jay in general, so obviously I would prefer to see him here. I think he does have a lot to add in terms of card knowledge and a somewhat unique collecting style and history.

But I also know what you mean about having to defend yourself frequently. It can't be easy and Lord knows you have more patience than I do.

Personally, I think that once Jay started the other board more of his posts related to cards and the hobby were reserved for that forum. Then the posts here about advertising, etc, were more isolated and less in the context of a knowledgeable regular contributor voicing a concern. He had been posting on general topics more the past few weeks, and I was glad to see it.

But disagree as you may with his style, I firmly believe that his drive is his appreciation for this board. Like he said once, it's like home. Seriously. I think he really loves this forum, and has been advocating for what he believes is right.

At least there's that. I vote for it to be temporary.

Joann

Old 09-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Administrator

I can understand why Jay was banned....I too got tired of the banner ad discussion and I don't have a problem with it. I also understand Jay's point about biases, but hey it's Leon's board and Leon's the boss....over on Jay and Scott's page they are the boss. This ain't a democracy.

I still think with all the lurkers here they should add more to the board...and I also think this board suffers a bit when there isn't a good argument going...not that I think it's healthy for the board to be arguing, but I bet this place gets more hits when there is a controversy going on...take Jay out of the equation and that equals less hits which in the long run equals less advertising dollars. My favorite posts are when someone chimes in at the 300 or so post mark to say "This BS needs to stop, I come here to leave my stress at work". Ummmmm.....then why did you just read 300 posts of "BS"?

Old 09-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Dan- there's nothing wrong with a good controversial thread, with people exchanging heated opinions about something going on in the hobby. I think we all find them interesting and many of us participate in them.

But there's that fine line where it regresses into train wreck mode, and that usually begins with the personal attack. There is no place for those on the board.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

I agree Barry. Jerry Rucker came straight out of "LURKER" mode to make a personal attack on Jay and it went unnoticed.

I call for a ban on Jerry Rucker.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Barry, Dan

We can argue all day long about what is or isn't a personal attack. Leave it to Leon, he has a very thick skin, when he feels that there's a personal attack that's good enough for me.

Peter C.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Peter, I assure you what Jerry R wrote was a personal attack worthy of Bruce Dorskind. I've also seen lots of personal attacks on you that have gone completely ignored.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Can you imagine what would happen in corporate America if every single employee was allowed to openly, in a public forum, critique and micro-manage every decision that mangement made?

It's one thing to talk around the water cooler -- quite another for Leon's every move (or lack thereof) to be openly debated and questioned.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

personal dealings with jay have always been fine with me eventhough it was just a handful, but i do believe he was trying to "call leon's bluff" on this to see if leon would back down and allow him to stay. well, jay got what i think he wanted. i dont think the board will suffer without him and maybe someday he can come back under certain circumstances. like someone said in the other thread, he does have some good input regarding cards.

now on with cards!!!!

Old 09-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Dan,

Leon is doing the right thing, you need to give people as much leeway as possible to express their opinion. And some of those opinions can get very personal. So far, I've been satisfied with his moderating.

Peter C.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ErlandStevens

I will certainly miss Jay's input on the board. Jay knows his stuff concerning cards (and many other things as well). I'd vote for a temporary ban, but bringing Jay back probably will result in another ban. Jay and Leon disagree on the ads. Neither is going to change his mind and I doubt Jay would let the issue slide if he returns. I don't fault Leon (who along with the others who run the board deserve all the praise they get) for the decision to ban Jay, but I'm not glad he's gone. It's just an unfortunate situation that doesn't have a clean solution.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Not trying to hijack the thread, but something Peter C just posted has me burning with curiosity.

Peter - you just posted that so far you are happy with the way Leon moderates. Just out of curiosity - and absolutely no judgment of your position on this, really - what would you do if you weren't happy with it?

Seriously, I'm genuinely curious. I'm working on that question myself. Because as much as people here say that all of these decisions shouldn't be debated, I suspect that may be because for the most part people don't have a big problem with Leon's moderating. I think if anyone with this opinion suddenly had a really really big issue with something, that person would absolutely feel it should be debated and we'd all hear about it. I'm just glad Leon allows it.

Joann

And I'm with Dan on the lurker issue. Could there really be legions of people dying to post that won't because they are afraid of attacks? And, like Dan, I also note that many of the controversial threads contain names I absolutely don't recognize.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Peter- you have been attacked many times on this board and to your credit you have never let it get you down. I admire that.

Dan- I'm not sure the first personal attack necessitates immediate banning. A couple of warnings are reasonable. Joe P. attacked me many times, entirely unprovoked, and went at quite a few other people too. Leon cut him an incredible amount of slack but in the end he was too detrimental and had to go.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Yeah I do not understand the attacks against you Barry from Joe P. I didn't even realize he had been banned though. I also did not see any warnings from Leon when Joe was incessantly attacking you, although I may have missed them or he may have done it through email. I just think the "personal attack" issue needs to be meted out fairly if it's going to be used as a reason for banning someone. I expect Mr. Rucker will be getting a warning from Leon - even though he apparently has gone back and deleted the attack. Doesn't change the fact that many of us saw it and now have someone else to add to the list of people not to do business with.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Sad that it came to this, because Jay has an impressive wealth of knowledge about prewar cards and contributed more than most. However, there are two questions I have to ask myself. Firstly, was Jay's repeated badgering of Leon something I wanted to see on a continuing basis. Answer is no. And two, did I believe Jay was ever going to let this go? Given Jay's admission and I don't recall the exact wording, but it was along the lines of wanting to stick around the board to break Leon's chops, it wasn't likely that he was going to give this harassment a rest anytime soon.

Knowing that he was provoking most members of the board, Jay persisted. He made his own bed.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Joanne,

If I was dissatisfied with the moderating, I would bitch and moan and then if the moderators didn't make any changes, I would quietly go to a more satisfactory board.

Right now, my only concern is that maybe one day only thick-skinned people will post.

Peter C.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

I thought Marc S had a good point and I hope he doesn't mind me launching from it. Society has expected norms of social conduct in any given situation/place, and people who fall too far out of its expectations for too long a time are usually fired at jobs, shunned by their friends, or generally ostracized (no, not changed into a giant flightless bird with a long neck). Hopefully before that happens they are given warnings by their boss, or a friend tells them how they feel about their actions, etc. In this case it happens to be an online forum. Same type of rules apply. A person can't be around here and continually complain about the place and not know what to expect. Jay is smart enough to realize that. In this case Jay had an option and choose what he did. I think he did it to himself. In Bruce's case he ("they") chose to cease and desist.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Jay B went "bananas" on the "Banner" kick....but, my take on what really was bugging Jay, and was the
last straw for him....was that vile email that brother Lee received. And, that the offender was just given
a "slap on the wrist".

I might be off base on this, but I was one who read that despicable email to Lee when he first posted it.
If I had received such disgusting diatribe, or even worst if it was directed to a family member of mine, I
would be damn furious; and, I would've demanded that the offender be barred.

I think I speak for others on this forum when I say Lee Behrens is a great guy. Since I've been on Net54,
he and I have had some great T-card conversations (via emails) and some great T206 deals between us.
And, although he doesn't post as often as he used to, he always asks intelligent and thought-provoking
questions on any given vintage thread.

Finally, all I can say about this entire incident is...it's amazing how the "Arrogance of Affluence" in some
individuals can drive them to despicable extremes....and, more amazing is that such individuals, invariably,
get a pass.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Let me be clear about this - Jay got what he deserved - and I do believe he was wanting to be banned. He was warned repeatedly and Leon gave him more leeway than I think he's ever given anyone. With that said I also think Jay had some good points about the appearance of a bias with regards to advertisers. It's really no sweat to me though because I don't really care one way or another....but with regard to personal attacks we've seen people get away with plenty here and the moderating of that seems a bit uneven to me.

edited to add: Good thoughts Ted, and I'll add that I think Jay has gotten more leeway than anyone besides Bruce. That email to Lee was despicable and beyond the pale and should have been grounds for immediate and permanent banishment.

edited one more time to add that I have corresponded with Jay and he did not want to be banned and was not trying to get banned.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

1. Why do I think it was a bad idea? Well, first and foremost, I abhor censorship.

I didn't find his comments that out of line, and although his delivery could have been better, I believe questions about your objectivity are fair game, as I mentioned in the locked thread. I believe you should be held to a higher standard, like he said. I would be happy to go into that further, but others claim it's a dead horse, so I'm not sure it's a good idea to do so. As for the allegation that you were a liar, that referenced e-mails between the two of you concerning REA, and since e-mails are off limits, I don't see how that one gets resolved. The rest was a rehash of prior battles over the ad banner debate, and even if it is concluded that such subject is old news, so what? Members should just go to another thread; in fact, we are often told that if something bothers us or we find it uninteresting, to just move along.

I also do not find this thread very persuasive. First, I don't believe Jay was frequently at the epicenter of any 100 post threads that have caused some to sour on this forum--re-read those threads, and you will see others more prominently displayed. Rather, what got Jay banned were his pointed questions to you, Leon. Now I'm not necessarily saying you have to put up with it until the end of time or as it gets worse and worse, but I find it odd that you say you banned Jay because you had to listen to what the board says. As far as I'm concerned, if you were not offended or bothered, or did not think his shots at you were worthy of banishment, then that's the end of it. If YOU felt otherwise, then act upon it, but don't give us that had to listen to the membership line. That particlar explanation, combined with the insinuation that Jay was at the heart of many 100 post "trainwrecks" both sound like copouts to me. Incidentally, I find it amusing where people keep saying it's Leon's board and he can do what he likes. While I disagree with that, if people truly believe it, then why are so many sending you e-mails to throw in their bitching and moaning?

Several other points are probably worth discussing, but I already started this 45 minutes ago and got a lengthy phone call I had to take.

2. Would I have banned him? No.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

I have, to this point, stayed out of this mess. I will first state that I agree with Todd that banning Jay was a bad idea - though in all honesty, I dont believe that his contributions will be missed because, quite frankly, he hasn't really attempted to contribute positively in some time. My problem with the banning is that Jay's attacks were directed at Leon and Leon decided to ban Jay simply because he was tired of it. Jay has an opinion and while its old and tired, his "attacks" weren't all that insulting. On the other hand, Ive seen others attacked - I mean truly attacked and insulted - without so much as a "tone it down" from any of the mods. This reeks of a double standard. A post above made an analogy to the workplace - well, certainly management would not stand for constant insubordination directed toward management. However, nor would management allow employees to go about attacking other non-management employees with abandon. So if you are going to stop one, be consistent and stop the others.

Personally, I dont think the board needs to be free of all "attacks". Often times, they person attacked brings it on themselves (not saying this is the case with Jay/Leon). I just have a problem when most everything is allowed to go unfiltered as long as you put a name next to your post, yet Jay is banned simply because we are collectively tired of hearing his rants.

Finally, a lot has been mentioned about a post generally being negative before it generates any interest. That is too true. Unfortunately, I dont believe banning Jay will stop the train wrecks or increase the quality of the posts that are actually on topic - to me, I'd rather see something being done to try generate more on topic posts and quality dialog within those posts.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

"Arrogance of Affluence" in some
individuals can drive them to despicable extremes....and, more amazing is that such individuals, invariably,
get a pass." well put ted

Old 09-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

I responded to Todd in the other thread and asked him a question and now it's locked.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rand

Thanks to Leon for putting an end to the misery. Jay's words were way out of line and he pushed, pushed, and pushed until he finally got tossed. Todd its easy for you to judge Leon, but i guarantee if this was your board and you were attacked endlessly you would do the same thing. bottom line, the board is free, if people want to act poorly, they can go else where. when one person leaves another will take their place. Great Job Leon, Finally.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

Unfortunately, given my genuinely high regard for Leon, I have to agree that there appears to be a double standard here. I'm sure if I were Leon, Jay would be on my last nerve, and I really do sympathize. But no one has provided any evidence that Jay was going around making personal threats, attempting to terrorize people, as Dorskind clearly has been doing via email.

Jay was expressing unpopular opinions and refusing to stop, which is the basis of our Bill of Rights. Sure, you can say things like "this isn't a democracy" (some people are suspiciously eager to say this), that "it's X's forum and he can do what he wants" and that "if X doesn't like it, he can go over to his own board" -- but frankly I find these comments disturbing. They do not square with the "it's your forum" position that Leon asserts repeatedly.

Nor, as I recall, was another longtime board member banned when (off his meds or something) he began making personal threats and racist comments to various people in emails--worse than Dorskind, as I remember. This is before the time of many current posters, and I don't want to stir it all up again, but he's still around and to my knowledge, was never banned or penalized in any way. The old folks know what I'm referring to.

It won't be the end of the world for Jay, Leon, or the board if Jay is banned, hopefully temporarily. But I do find it disturbing that the contrarian gets banned for unpopular opinions, while the psychos get slaps on the wrist.

Tim

Old 09-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Administrator

I abhor censorship too. That's the reason I am so hesitant to ban anyone, ever. I have to really be pushed hard. Comments about objectivity with respect to ads are very fair game. No argument there. I agree Jay, at least recently, hasn't been at the epicenter of most 100 post arguments. You are dead wrong about why Jay got banned. He got banned for his incessant rants about the ads that would never stop. He had at least 2 final warnings before. Maybe when you give warnings you won't act on them. I will. I only listened to what the board said to validate what I was already going to do. If it was overwhelming to NOT ban him then I wouldn't have. I will continue to believe it is not "my" board as long as I moderate it. It's the members board but I do have to manage it. It would be worse than it is if no one managed it, I believe....

Dan B- Joe P was banned a few weeks ago. I warned him in private emails to stop the attacks on several people. Nine days after my warning he did it again. For the record I emailed with Joe today and he is doing well. WE are cool between us. I like him. He just wouldn't do a small thing I asked. I am also in email correspondance with Jay B this evening.....I hope he and I can work things out. I can only take so much though before I have to do something. I only ask others opinions to make sure I am not way off base....

I hope this clears a few things up and gives a little more of my thoughts on the subject. I HATE banning anyone...I really do....regards

Old 09-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Wow. Josh and Tim and Todd - I wish I had even a shred of your eloquence. If I did I certainly wouldn't be struggling so much with the school assignment I'm working on this week! Dang. And it's not just that I agree with the substance of your comments. It's that they are so well crafted, constructed and presented.

Tim, I'm so glad that someone else sees comments about not a democracy, X's board, etc are disturbing. Honestly, I felt a bit like a lone voice on that front and was starting to feel a bit like a kook!

J

Old 09-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

I do disagree with this one on principle, but I agree that Leon has taken an awful lot from Jay, that Jay did seem to be repeating himself rather than adding to the debate, and that someone has to manage us animals so we don't maul each other too badly.

Joann: don't mention it, happy you find my post helpful. BTW, you underestimate your own eloquence. You are going to make a great lawyer--

Old 09-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Well colleagues, I have no doubt that Leon speaks the truth when he states that he has acted in accordance with the wishes of the majority of the board. I hope that you are up to it; because from my perspective, I am watching the expertise of this board one by one walking out the door.

You have a heck of a legacy. I sure hope that you have more than that.