NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-25-2002, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: Andy Baran

I sat this one out, but I'd love to hear how others did. Anyone willing to share?

Old 08-25-2002, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: runscott

The prices were so incredibly high that I didn't even participate on auction night.

Taking a positive attitude: next time I will consign my items to Mastro. If I can't win any of their auctions, I'll at least make a heap of $$$

--------------------------------------------
withdrawing my board exit until Elliot gets back and we see what his thoughts are. BTW, editing posts isn't an acceptable solution (in my opinion)

Old 08-25-2002, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: Tom L.

Nobody is going to get a steal in these auctions, but I think there are a number of lots that went for below (sometimes well below) Standard Catalog prices. The exceptions always seem to be the unique items like the Wagner Baltimore News or historical 19th century stuff (the kind of stuff that I like).

But if you are looking to buy a lot of cards for resale, I think there are still quite a few good deals to be had, especially on non-graded cards post-1930.

Old 08-25-2002, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: John(z28jd)

Im gonna start calling you the Terry Felton of auctions Scott(just in case everyone doesnt know, Felton went a career 0-16 in 4 seasons for TBob's Twins back in the early 80's)

Old 08-25-2002, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: runscott

But I spoke with someone who collects '50s cards, who was looking for lots to break up for re-sale, and he said there were few deals to be found.

I was particularly interested in the t206 and caramel lots. Just to be fair, here's one lot that went at a reasonable price: http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=24987

--------------------------------------------
withdrawing my board exit until Elliot gets back and we see what his thoughts are. BTW, editing posts isn't an acceptable solution (in my opinion)

Old 08-25-2002, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: TBob

Scott- I agree the E95 set price was an abberation. There were a ton of low and midgrade caramel cards which went for out of sight prices, HOFers and commons too.
John- I suffered from the Terry Felton disease also, going 0 for the auction. Some of this stuff is available on ebay at better prices and nicer condition. I understand the true rarities going for a ton but when you have cards described as VPR (very poor, a new one for me) getting VG prices, something is out of kilter. There was a large collection of caramel cards with many, many VPRs which went for an incredible sum. Also a T206 near set without the Big 6 which contained a "whopping" (according to Mastro's definition) 3/4 in mangled shape still went for over 9 grand with the commish. Amazing...

Old 08-25-2002, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: B Hodes

I was desperate but there were a few lots I was interested in and I was easily shut out. That t205 Cy Young was out of this world (both the card and the price). The fact that I pay a additional close to 10% because I am in Chicago makes these auctions really expensive for me.
By the way if anyone won ITEM 1119 (the smaller T202 lot) I would be happy to help them defray the cost (by buying a card or two of course)...

Old 08-25-2002, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: Scott M

Well, I guess is all relative - if I had say 5 or 6 Million sitting around earning 5% I'd gladly take half of that 5% and blow it on cards each year - which would make the prices in the auction irrelevant.

Of course since I'll be heading back to work tomorrow, that isn't the case. I went 0 for 0 as I refuse to pay $75 for the priveledge of bidding.

Seriously, I actually think that in many cases people will pay a premium for the sheer quantity of vintage material they can accumulate at one time. If your a highly paid corporate exec with little time or live in a rural part of the country - the ability to in essence get 7 or 8 starter sets at once is attractive. At the end of the day, pieces of cardboard are worth whatever someone is willing to pay and this auction house has some buyers willing to pay.

Regards

Old 08-25-2002, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: Tom L.

Here are links to a couple of lots that I thought were still pretty reasonable:

http://mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=25001

http://mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=25026

http://mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=24351

Plus, even the Wagner Baltimore News card, while it may be off condition, is probably unique or one of only a few in existence. How much should a unique Wagner be worth? Or how about a unique complete, Darby Chocolate box with 2 HOFers that don't even exist as single panels? Seems like if people are going to pay well over a thousand bucks each for a number of different T206 cards that are nowhere near as rare, then the prices these sold for were probably reasonable as well:

Baltimore News Wagner:

http://mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=25012

Darby Box with Speaker and Evers:

http://mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=25154

Not that I can afford them, but only one guy on the planet will own each of them now.

Just my opinion,
Tom

Old 08-25-2002, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: Bill Cornell

I won a single lot out of the 9 I bid on: 1117, which has a bunch of rare/scarce/uncommon T205's and a few T207's I wanted, along with an SGC 80 T200 White Sox that will be looking for a new home. Put in a bid at 10:30EST last night fully expecting not to wake up on the plus side; I've got only low-grade buyer's remorse today, so no complaints.

The group of 80 trimmed T206's that went for over 6K w/juice gets my vote as most amazing lot - the cards are trimmed, for Pete's sake! Maybe a PSA skeptic took that plunge. Or a future opportunist.

Mastro is, by and large, terrific, but if I was running the place, I'd make 2 changes: stop with these "grab-bag" lots and please, please, please end the auctions earlier in the day so we can avoid sleep deprivation.

Old 08-25-2002, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro

I think both Tom and I agreed this was one of the few great deals available.

Old 08-25-2002, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: jeff

and i didn't even get 6k for it! i'm getting in line behind Scott to start consigning to these guys...

Old 08-25-2002, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I fell by the wayside both nights, on two lots I didn't really want, but thought i might be able to afford (Jackson van Oeyen photo; ten little die cuts).

But GOOD NEWS! You don't have to WIN to keep getting catelogues; you just have to BID. I really checked it out carefully.

Old 08-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: petecld

Julie,

Did you read the fine print? It says once they find out, say, via an internet chat board, that you are only bidding to get another catalog there is a $50 per year fee. Just kidding.

I was so sure I would be outbid that I went to bed my usual time but I did find out I actually WON a lot in Mastro!

Lot #1415 - 12/18 Hartlands.

Old 08-25-2002, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: Marty

They were not real old, but I picked up #851, the 52B Mantle, 51B Mays, 51B Williams. I thought that these were fair. I also paid high and got the Glendale set. I thought that the #1156 40 and 41 Playball sets were buyable. I also thought that the #1996 1935 National Chicle 6 PSA 8, were reasonable for the grade.

Old 08-25-2002, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: David

I got a variety of lots that I thought were good deals (no cards, which helps explain). And I can now say I'm the proud owner of Tommy Ladorda's balls!

Old 08-25-2002, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: B Hodes

I think Bill got it right -- from the seller/auctioners' perspective the grab bags generally don't bring the best prices. Hence, they also may be the best deal as well. Now that everyone can (if they want to put up with the hassle) sell via ebay these lots are not just for dealers -- collectors can pick up a lot for a few cards they actually want and sell the rest...
Of course they assume some risks as sellers and still pay those pesky winners/bidders percentages plus postage plus (in some cases) sales taxes...etc.

Old 08-25-2002, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: David

I agree with Bill on the ending times. I'm a night owl by nature, live on the West Coast in the Coffee King of the world and it's still comical how late the MastroNet auctions go. I can only imagine how it is for some in NYC. Perhaps the best plan for you Easterners is to go to bed early and get up at 5am to check their bids. You probably even have time to take a shower and heat a hearty breakfast. The guy I feel sorry for is Doug sitting by the MastroNet telephone all that time, like a lonly teenager on a Friday night.

Old 08-25-2002, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro

Posted By: Scott M

Well a trimmed 1915 cj Wagner just sold for over $650 on ebay tonight. So maybe the prices for those Very Poor lots were actually a steal.

Regards

Old 08-25-2002, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro

I congratulate the Mastro winners and tip a cold one to those of us who tried our gamest but lost.
On the "grab-bag" issue, the inclusion of one card, an E90-3 Gandil, in a lot of 67 cards caused me severe heartache. I was trying to win a couple of tougher T207s neatly thrown in but had to compete not with other T207 collectors but with the Black Sox collectors of the world plus the caramel card completists who know exactly how rare Gandil is in that set (E90-3). Add a T207 Weaver (not exceptionally difficult) to the mix and a T206 Gandil (easy) and the lot went for about a lot more than many thought it would.