NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2019, 08:23 PM
Kzoo's Avatar
Kzoo Kzoo is offline
Matt
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 513
Default October Pickup Thread

I'll start it off this month...

I've been looking for awhile to get a nice store display baseball bat rack and I found this one today at an estate auction 1.5 hours away. I'm guessing it's from the 70's, but maybe 60's? Does anyone else have one like this? The top has a threaded hole, probably for some sort of advertising sign. The rack holds 42 bats and is about 41" tall.

The rack had about 20 bats on it when I bought it, all of which are garbage except 1 gamer from Dave Ricketts who was on the '67 Cardinals.

Can't wait to put my own bats on it for display.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191003_170840.jpg (73.7 KB, 1354 views)
File Type: jpg 20191003_174225.jpg (82.3 KB, 1339 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:09 PM
guy3050's Avatar
guy3050 guy3050 is offline
Guy Bourque
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 147
Default Expos Jersey

1981 Charlie Lea Game worn jersey , quite possibly the jersey he wore for his May 10th No hitter

thumbnail_IMG_1956 by Guy Bourque, on Flickr

thumbnail_IMG_1957 by Guy Bourque, on Flickr

thumbnail_IMG_1960 by Guy Bourque, on Flickr

Last edited by guy3050; 10-03-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:14 PM
eastonfalcon19 eastonfalcon19 is offline
Ron V
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pa
Posts: 574
Default

Nice pickup on the bat rack. Picked up this 30s Paul Waner bat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1321.jpg (79.6 KB, 1333 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-04-2019, 06:29 AM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,458
Default 1905 Leon "Red" Ames original photo from Matty McIntyre's personal scrapbook

I just bought this great 1905 rookie era photo of Leon "Red" Ames from Ray Holmes on the BST.

Red Ames was the 1st pitcher to hurl 9 innings of no-hit ball, only to lose the game in the 10th inning- Opening Day 1909...

I really love the quality and composition of this particular photo of Red Ames.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-04-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2019, 07:45 AM
mr2686 mr2686 is offline
Mike Rich@rds0n
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I just bought this great 1905 rookie era photo of Leon "Red" Ames from Ray Holmes on the BST.

Red Ames was the 1st pitcher to hurl 9 innings of no-hit ball, only to lose the game in the 10th inning- Opening Day 1909...

I really love the quality and composition of this particular photo of Red Ames.
Great addition Scott. The only thing that impresses me more than your collection, is your ability to find nuggets of gold like this one. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-2019, 09:25 AM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 2,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
I'll start it off this month...

I've been looking for awhile to get a nice store display baseball bat rack and I found this one today at an estate auction 1.5 hours away. I'm guessing it's from the 70's, but maybe 60's? Does anyone else have one like this? The top has a threaded hole, probably for some sort of advertising sign. The rack holds 42 bats and is about 41" tall.

The rack had about 20 bats on it when I bought it, all of which are garbage except 1 gamer from Dave Ricketts who was on the '67 Cardinals.

Can't wait to put my own bats on it for display.
Love it! If it was mine, I would look for some type of sign for the “threaded hole.”
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Bpm0014's Avatar
Bpm0014 Bpm0014 is offline
Brendan Mullen
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,206
Default

I just bought this great 1905 rookie era photo of Leon "Red" Ames

Great picture! That looks like it came from Matty McIntyre's scrapbook...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-04-2019, 01:12 PM
bigj7489 bigj7489 is offline
John E.
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy3050 View Post
1981 charlie lea game worn jersey , quite possibly the jersey he wore for his may 10th no hitter

thumbnail_img_1956 by guy bourque, on flickr

thumbnail_img_1957 by guy bourque, on flickr

thumbnail_img_1960 by guy bourque, on flickr
awesome!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
I just bought this great 1905 rookie era photo of Leon "Red" Ames

Great picture! That looks like it came from Matty McIntyre's scrapbook...
Nice call, you are absolutely correct!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-05-2019, 01:28 PM
CarltonHendricks's Avatar
CarltonHendricks CarltonHendricks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 947
Default Congtrats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
I'll start it off this month...

I've been looking for awhile to get a nice store display baseball bat rack and I found this one today at an estate auction 1.5 hours away. I'm guessing it's from the 70's, but maybe 60's? Does anyone else have one like this? The top has a threaded hole, probably for some sort of advertising sign. The rack holds 42 bats and is about 41" tall.

The rack had about 20 bats on it when I bought it, all of which are garbage except 1 gamer from Dave Ricketts who was on the '67 Cardinals.

Can't wait to put my own bats on it for display.
Pretty interesting congrats...Can you take a shot with bats on it....I've never seen anything like it...
__________________
Do you read Sports Antique of the Week? Check it out on my site SportsAntiques.com/Antique of the Week

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-05-2019, 04:20 PM
ksfarmboy's Avatar
ksfarmboy ksfarmboy is offline
Clint
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 962
Default

Great bat Ron!
__________________
Buying Kansas CDVs, Cabinets, RPPCs and other pre 1930 memorabilia.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-08-2019, 08:38 PM
Joe Hunter Joe Hunter is offline
Joe Hunter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Kansas City area
Posts: 266
Default Early Baseball Card Show Program In NYC

Pick up this very interesting 1973 baseball card show program. The show was sponsored by the American Sports Card Collectors Association and held in New York City. From what I can tell, this was the first major card show held in NYC. The letter on the inside front cover is interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2763EA79-3592-4551-BD35-D52CB8BC48F1.jpg (17.4 KB, 1088 views)
File Type: jpg FCF76F5F-D288-4FA5-884D-C0BA76236AE1.jpg (12.7 KB, 1077 views)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-08-2019, 08:46 PM
Joe Hunter Joe Hunter is offline
Joe Hunter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Kansas City area
Posts: 266
Default Better Image

Here is a more readable photo of the letter in the program.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 73573E1A-A92F-471C-8C5C-16F87DD7F8B9.jpg (21.3 KB, 1084 views)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-08-2019, 11:53 PM
Jgrace Jgrace is offline
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hunter View Post
Here is a more readable photo of the letter in the program.
Prices are rising at a "dizzying pace" - it would be fascinating to see some examples from those days.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-09-2019, 12:49 AM
BeanTown's Avatar
BeanTown BeanTown is offline
Jay Cee
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,286
Default

Just got this Tigers schedule in. Wondering if I should have someone clean up the stains/glue marks on it? I normally hate cleaning/restoration, but Im also a little OCD as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0512.jpg (67.8 KB, 1083 views)
__________________
Love Ty Cobb rare items and baseball currency from the 19th Century.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-09-2019, 02:44 PM
TCMA's Avatar
TCMA TCMA is offline
Andrew Aronstein
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hunter View Post
Pick up this very interesting 1973 baseball card show program. The show was sponsored by the American Sports Card Collectors Association and held in New York City. From what I can tell, this was the first major card show held in NYC. The letter on the inside front cover is interesting.

Joe, I’ve got one of those programs as well. Mike Aronstein, one of the hosts mentioned there, is my dad. Those ASCCA shows ran throughout the 70’s but I wasn’t born until ‘78 and never got to experience one, unfortunately.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Visit TCMA Ltd. on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-09-2019, 03:12 PM
Joe Hunter Joe Hunter is offline
Joe Hunter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Kansas City area
Posts: 266
Default NYC 1973 Card Convention

Andrew, that so cool that your father was one of the pioneers of the hobby. Certainly this show was one of the precursors of the National. I doubt that in 1973 those promoters could have envisioned where the hobby is, today(both the good and bad). I just found it fascinating reading. I think I attended my first major card show in 1983.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-10-2019, 04:01 PM
71buc's Avatar
71buc 71buc is offline
Mikeknapp
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Great NW
Posts: 1,886
Default

These trophy bats were presented to the players and management of the 1971 Pirates. Joe Otoole was General Manager Joe L Brown's assistant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400.jpg (19.7 KB, 989 views)
File Type: jpg s-l400 (1).jpg (4.3 KB, 951 views)
File Type: jpg s-l400 (3).jpg (14.9 KB, 976 views)
__________________
https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/71buc

1971 Pirates Ticket Quest:
75 of 153 regular season stubs (49%), 14 of 14 1971 ALCS, NLCS , and World Series stubs (100%)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:41 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 2,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
These trophy bats were presented to the players and management of the 1971 Pirates. Joe Otoole was General Manager Joe L Brown's assistant.
Sweet! No apostrophe in Otoole?
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-10-2019, 11:09 PM
71buc's Avatar
71buc 71buc is offline
Mikeknapp
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Great NW
Posts: 1,886
Default

No apostrophe that I have seen
__________________
https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/71buc

1971 Pirates Ticket Quest:
75 of 153 regular season stubs (49%), 14 of 14 1971 ALCS, NLCS , and World Series stubs (100%)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-11-2019, 11:16 PM
CarltonHendricks's Avatar
CarltonHendricks CarltonHendricks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 947
Default Alameda Find

30" tall, c1920 Shot Putter Bronze Statue
Picked this up last Sunday...one of the best finds I've ever made at Alameda...








__________________
Do you read Sports Antique of the Week? Check it out on my site SportsAntiques.com/Antique of the Week

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-13-2019, 11:59 AM
Topnotchsy Topnotchsy is offline
Jeff Lazarus
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 602
Default

Picked up a couple of really cool lineup cards in the last week.

This one is from the clinching game of the 1976 World Series which the Reds would sweep the Yanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1976 World Series Reds Game 4 Manager Clinching Game.jpg (59.1 KB, 885 views)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-13-2019, 01:11 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST€!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Picked up a couple of really cool lineup cards in the last week.

This one is from the clinching game of the 1976 World Series which the Reds would sweep the Yanks.
That's a magnificent pickup.... many congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-13-2019, 04:07 PM
Topnotchsy Topnotchsy is offline
Jeff Lazarus
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
That's a magnificent pickup.... many congrats!
Thanks! I collect lineup cards and have a couple of thousand of them, but it's rate to be able to find a World Series lineup card, so pretty excited to find this one.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-13-2019, 05:51 PM
pherbener's Avatar
pherbener pherbener is offline
Paul Herbener
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pa.
Posts: 844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Picked up a couple of really cool lineup cards in the last week.

This one is from the clinching game of the 1976 World Series which the Reds would sweep the Yanks.
That's really cool Jeff! They were my favorite team as a 10 year old.
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/137748538@N02/albums Successful transactions with Sycks22, Vintageloz, jim, zachclose21, shamus, Chris Counts, YankeeFan Snapolit1 and many more.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-13-2019, 08:15 PM
jimtigers65 jimtigers65 is offline
Jim H
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Lincoln, CA
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
That's really cool Jeff! They were my favorite team as a 10 year old.
Same here. That was back in the day when you knew the starting lineup by heart.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-14-2019, 12:00 PM
Shoeless Moe Shoeless Moe is offline
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy G, Soup Can, Leon's Favorite, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13
Pa.ul Grus.zka
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Over by there
Posts: 2,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Thanks! I collect lineup cards and have a couple of thousand of them, but it's rate to be able to find a World Series lineup card, so pretty excited to find this one.
FYI

...Driessen was the first designated hitter in the history of the National League when he starred for the Reds in the 1976 World Series against the New York Yankees.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-14-2019, 12:39 PM
71buc's Avatar
71buc 71buc is offline
Mikeknapp
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Great NW
Posts: 1,886
Default

Nice pick up on the line up card. The Big Red Machine was awsome to watch when I was a kid unless they played the Bucs. I would love to find a 1971 Pirate lineup card.

I really had nothing from John Galbreath the owner of 1971 Pirates in my collection. Due to this I was pleased to pick up one of his accountant ledgers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400 (4).jpg (19.0 KB, 777 views)
__________________
https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/71buc

1971 Pirates Ticket Quest:
75 of 153 regular season stubs (49%), 14 of 14 1971 ALCS, NLCS , and World Series stubs (100%)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

Last edited by 71buc; 10-14-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-15-2019, 02:14 PM
kdixon's Avatar
kdixon kdixon is offline
Kenny
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 944
Default

Picked up this 1948 Babe Ruth working watch with case and box.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-15-2019, 05:55 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 2,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdixon View Post
Picked up this 1948 Babe Ruth working watch with case and box.
Nice! Especially since you got the box and case!
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-15-2019, 10:25 PM
Topnotchsy Topnotchsy is offline
Jeff Lazarus
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
That's really cool Jeff! They were my favorite team as a 10 year old.
Totally stacked team. Really incredible lineup.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtigers65 View Post
Same here. That was back in the day when you knew the starting lineup by heart.
So many legends in that lineup that I imagine many people remember most of those names today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
FYI

...Driessen was the first designated hitter in the history of the National League when he starred for the Reds in the 1976 World Series against the New York Yankees.
That's super interesting. I hadn't known that. Thanks for sharing!


Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Nice pick up on the line up card. The Big Red Machine was awsome to watch when I was a kid unless they played the Bucs. I would love to find a 1971 Pirate lineup card.

I really had nothing from John Galbreath the owner of 1971 Pirates in my collection. Due to this I was pleased to pick up one of his accountant ledgers.
Cool pickup there! I've never seen a 71 Pirates lineup card. I do have a lineup from 1955 (Clemente rookie season) and the lineup cards from Game 1 of the 1979 World Series.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-16-2019, 08:22 AM
kdixon's Avatar
kdixon kdixon is offline
Kenny
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 944
Default

Picked up this early team image .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B35524E1-35FF-45A3-8252-1252E381B83F.jpg (12.6 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg EC85DEC1-E4CC-4868-8F82-222B4C78D1D8.jpg (10.2 KB, 662 views)
File Type: jpg B7499427-9B51-40F5-80E9-519C6867FFB6.jpg (17.6 KB, 672 views)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-18-2019, 08:12 PM
Jcosta19's Avatar
Jcosta19 Jcosta19 is offline
Justin
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 52
Default

Picked these 3 up in a trade.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-18-2019, 09:21 PM
pherbener's Avatar
pherbener pherbener is offline
Paul Herbener
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pa.
Posts: 844
Default

Really excited to add this to my Matty collection from Heritage last night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48918101546_583d84eb16_b.jpg (59.1 KB, 595 views)
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/137748538@N02/albums Successful transactions with Sycks22, Vintageloz, jim, zachclose21, shamus, Chris Counts, YankeeFan Snapolit1 and many more.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-19-2019, 12:09 AM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
Really excited to add this to my Matty collection from Heritage last night.
Beautiful image, Paul. Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-19-2019, 02:43 PM
pherbener's Avatar
pherbener pherbener is offline
Paul Herbener
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pa.
Posts: 844
Default

Thanks Scott!
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/137748538@N02/albums Successful transactions with Sycks22, Vintageloz, jim, zachclose21, shamus, Chris Counts, YankeeFan Snapolit1 and many more.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-19-2019, 04:13 PM
Bicem's Avatar
Bicem Bicem is offline
Jeff 'Prize-ner'
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,451
Default

Belongs in your collection Paul, big Congrats! Important piece.
__________________
Please donate & help save a life...
https://www.humanesociety.org/
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-20-2019, 12:07 PM
pherbener's Avatar
pherbener pherbener is offline
Paul Herbener
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pa.
Posts: 844
Default

Thanks Jeff!
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/137748538@N02/albums Successful transactions with Sycks22, Vintageloz, jim, zachclose21, shamus, Chris Counts, YankeeFan Snapolit1 and many more.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-22-2019, 04:23 PM
Augy44 Augy44 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 133
Default Ruth Photo

I haven’t picked up anything new in a while but couldn’t pass this up. An Original 1925 Babe Ruth 8x10 Close-Up Type 1 photo. The detail and clarity on this photo is amazing! This one is definitely at the top of my favorite Ruth photos that I’ve ever owned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2E8F395E-2A9A-4F20-AE6A-0650244481AD.jpg (11.9 KB, 430 views)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-28-2019, 02:41 PM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,458
Default Two sweet no-hitter ticket pickups last week

Last week was a epic pickup week for my no-hit ticket collection.
Two really tough no-hit tickets from the 1960's
I was able to pick up an unimprovable signed ticket stub from HOF Jim Palmer's no-hitter on August 13, 1969.

In May, while visiting Cincinnati on a business trip, I had the pleasure of visiting the newly revamped Cincinnati Reds Museum and Hall of Fame.
It's truly awesome & I would highly recommend checking it out if you get the chance as it is extremely well done.
One of the new mini-exhibits especially caught my eye. They had two tickets and a narrative about Houston Colt .45's pitcher Ken Johnson's no-hit loss 1-0 against the visiting Cincinnati Reds team and opposing pitcher Joe Nuxhall on April 23, 1964.
This was historic in that it was the first time that a pitcher had hurled a 9 inning no-hitter and lost the game.
After contacting Chris Eckes the Curator of the Cincinnati Reds Museum,
I'm very happy to report that I was able to work out a creative trade that benefitted the museum and allowed me to finally add a ticket to Ken Johnson's no-hitter.
It's literally been on my want list for decades, and prior to visiting the Reds Museum I had never even heard of one existing.

Many thanks to Chris Eckes and Brink Van Horn for allowing me to add these tickets to my advanced no-hitter collection.

I now have tickets to 218 different no-hitter games dating back to 1901 (out of 303 total no-hitters since the 1800's).
159 of these tickets are signed by 165 total no-hit pitchers.
129 of these tickets are full tickets
39 are no-hit games pitched by pitchers in the HOF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jim Palmer no-hit ticket stub-2.jpg (53.9 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg Jim Palmer photo index card.jpg (51.6 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg Ken Johnson no-hitter exhibit at the Reds Museum.jpg (43.8 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg Ken Johnson no-hitter ticket stub.jpg (59.0 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg Ken Johnson picture index card..jpg (46.2 KB, 324 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-30-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-28-2019, 03:55 PM
mr2686 mr2686 is offline
Mike Rich@rds0n
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Last week was a epic pickup week for my no-hit ticket collection.
Two really tough no-hit tickets from the 1960's
I was able to pick up an unimprovable signed ticket stub from HOF Jim Palmer's no-hitter on August 13, 1969.

In May, while visiting Cincinnati on a business trip, I had the pleasure of visiting the newly revamped Cincinnati Reds Museum and Hall of Fame.
It's truly awesome & I would highly recommend checking it out if you get the chance as it is extremely well done.
One of the new mini-exhibits especially caught my eye. They had two tickets and a narrative about Houston Colt 45's pitcher Ken Johnson's no-hit loss 1-0 against the visiting Cincinnati Reds team and opposing pitcher Joe Nuxhall on April 23, 1964.
This was historic in that it was the first time that a pitcher had hurled a 9 inning no-hitter and lost the game.
After contacting Chris Eckes the Curator of the Cincinnati Reds Museum,
I'm very happy to report that I was able to work out a creative trade that benefitted the museum and allowed me to finally add a ticket to Ken Johnson's no-hitter.
It's literally been on my want list for decades, and prior to visiting the Reds Museum I had never even heard of one existing.

Many thanks to Chris Eckes and Brink Van Horn for allowing me to add these tickets to my advanced no-hitter collection.

I now have tickets to 218 different no-hitter games dating back to 1901 (out of 303 total no-hitters since the 1800's).
159 of these tickets are signed by 165 total no-hit pitchers.
129 of these tickets are full tickets
39 are no-hit games pitched by pitchers in the HOF
Oh man, you're not going to leave us hanging on the creative trade, are you? LOL
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-28-2019, 04:10 PM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Oh man, you're not going to leave us hanging on the creative trade, are you? LOL
Thanks Mike! Here are the details of the swap:
The Reds Museum received my donation of the Ewell Blackwell trophy ball from his 16th consecutive win in 1947 that I showed on the Cincinnati Reds thread on net54 earlier this month. They allowed me to add one of the two Ken Johnson no-hitter ticket stubs to my collection in the swap.
Both of us did great in this trade and I'm stoked my ball went to their great museum so others can now enjoy it.
They were thrilled & so was I.

Back story: The ticket stubs had apparently been donated to the Reds Museum last year by a major Reds collector. Chris Eckes, the curator went back to the donor to see if he would give the swap his blessing and he graciously did. The Ken Johnson no-hitter exhibit still is in play, sans one of the two tickets.
I can tell you that this was perhaps my only shot of finding one of these bad boys. Colt 45's tickets at HOU are brutal to find to any game & I've never seen or heard of another in 47 years.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-28-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-28-2019, 07:14 PM
parker1b2's Avatar
parker1b2 parker1b2 is offline
J0n@th@n P@rker
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Thanks Mike! Here are the details of the swap:
The Reds Museum received my donation of the Ewell Blackwell trophy ball from his 16th consecutive win in 1947 that I showed on the Cincinnati Reds thread on net54 earlier this month. They allowed me to add one of the two Ken Johnson no-hitter ticket stubs to my collection in the swap.
Both of us did great in this trade and I'm stoked my ball went to their great museum so others can now enjoy it.
They were thrilled & so was I.

Back story: The ticket stubs had apparently been donated to the Reds Museum last year by a major Reds collector. Chris Eckes, the curator went back to the donor to see if he would give the swap his blessing and he graciously did. The Ken Johnson no-hitter exhibit still is in play, sans one of the two tickets.
I can tell you that this was perhaps my only shot of finding one of these bad boys. Colt 45's tickets at HOU are brutal to find to any game & I've never seen or heard of another in 47 years.
Glad it worked out for both parties. Awesome pick ups Scott!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-28-2019, 09:51 PM
doug.goodman doug.goodman is offline
Doug Goodman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: On tour somewhere
Posts: 2,229
Default

Congrats Scott - your no hitter collection is my favorite collection of all that I know of.

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-29-2019, 09:12 AM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Congrats Scott - your no hitter collection is my favorite collection of all that I know of.

Doug
Thanks Doug!
I have to pay you a similar compliment as well. Your tenacity with what you have been able to accomplish with your m113 and m114 Baseball Magazine Supplements is truly epic.

It's definitely been a long slog in the quest to complete both of our collections.
If anyone would get it, it would be you.

BTW, I'm amazed at the incredible diverse collections that regular contributors have in our net54 community. I've learned so much as a collector in the last 10 years on net54. I appreciate everyone's contributions and sharing your own amazing collections.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-29-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-29-2019, 01:52 PM
mr2686 mr2686 is offline
Mike Rich@rds0n
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Thanks Mike! Here are the details of the swap:
The Reds Museum received my donation of the Ewell Blackwell trophy ball from his 16th consecutive win in 1947 that I showed on the Cincinnati Reds thread on net54 earlier this month. They allowed me to add one of the two Ken Johnson no-hitter ticket stubs to my collection in the swap.
Both of us did great in this trade and I'm stoked my ball went to their great museum so others can now enjoy it.
They were thrilled & so was I.

Back story: The ticket stubs had apparently been donated to the Reds Museum last year by a major Reds collector. Chris Eckes, the curator went back to the donor to see if he would give the swap his blessing and he graciously did. The Ken Johnson no-hitter exhibit still is in play, sans one of the two tickets.
I can tell you that this was perhaps my only shot of finding one of these bad boys. Colt 45's tickets at HOU are brutal to find to any game & I've never seen or heard of another in 47 years.
Scott, that is such a cool story. Glad it worked out so well for both you and the museum.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-29-2019, 11:24 PM
71buc's Avatar
71buc 71buc is offline
Mikeknapp
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Great NW
Posts: 1,886
Default

Congrats Scott!
__________________
https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/71buc

1971 Pirates Ticket Quest:
75 of 153 regular season stubs (49%), 14 of 14 1971 ALCS, NLCS , and World Series stubs (100%)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-30-2019, 06:52 AM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,458
Default

Thanks Mike!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-30-2019, 10:32 AM
GoCubsGo32's Avatar
GoCubsGo32 GoCubsGo32 is offline
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida/Indiana
Posts: 876
Default

Congrats Scott! Happy you were able to find it and work it out. Super impressive. Love seeing your collection grow. Cheers to you man!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-30-2019, 03:43 PM
WillowGrove's Avatar
WillowGrove WillowGrove is offline
Peter F
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 971
Default

Congratulations Scott! That Ken Johnson stub sounds impossible but you figured out a way.

I love it. Congrats again!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
October Pickup Thread Eric72 Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) 8 10-29-2016 11:07 PM
4th October pickup thread Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 45 11-02-2008 10:11 PM
Third October Pickup Thread Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 46 10-24-2008 11:47 AM
Second October Pickup Thread Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 50 10-20-2008 06:47 PM
Fifth October Pickup Thread Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 48 10-25-2007 03:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.


ebay GSB