NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Scott Russell

Default 24 Hours Left! Birmingham Auctioneers 2nd Annual Pre War Auction

Hi Guys,

Hopefully at this point most of you know who I am, but I thought I'd share a little more about my company and I, in the wake of the last interesting year in the hobby.

I took over Birmingham Auctioneers in 2018. They were a LIVE ONLY sports card and memorabilia auction founded in 1983 (maybe the world's first sports auction house???) When I took over I tried to move the auction more towards the pre-war cards that I love and it was a bit of a disaster. My live auction excels in 1950's and up and now I know to focus on that.

But I couldn't just forego Pre-War cards so I started the online auction. As a long time online buyer I strove to correct the "mistakes" that I saw in other's auctions.
  • Starting Bids
    We believe in letting an auction be an auction, not a retail sale masquerading as an auction. Our highest starting bid is only $25. Most items start at $1, $5 and $10. That T213 Cobb in our current auction? Started at $25.
  • Auction Closing
    Our lots close individually. No staring blearily at your screen for the one item you have a bid on that hasn't seen any action for 4 hours hoping there are no bids coming. You must have a bid on an item before extended bidding begins to be eligible to bid on that item in extended bidding. If you are the only bidder on an item at 10pm on closing night that item is yours. If there are no bids for 15 minutes on a given item in extended bidding, that item closes.
  • Reserves
    What are those? No stated reserves, no hidden reserves, no reserves
  • Seller Shenanigans
    OK we all know it's impossible to stop a seller from getting his buddy to bid on an item. But sellers are not allowed to bid on their own item and if we get suspicious bidding activity we will act on it. We are also small enough to actually NOTICE suspicious bidding activity!
  • Auction House Shenanigans
    We reserve the right to cheat, lie, misrepresent, doctor and otherwise be naughty, but it's OK because we tell you up front. OKAY just checking to see who was still reading. With everything that has gone on in the hobby recently we are painfully aware of the fact that the big sellers should be the ones leading the way in terms of ethics. I'm still less than tiny, but even though we have in the past (with disclosure of course) soaked cards and gently removed pencil markings we will no longer do so. This started with our current auction. We also will only sell altered cards that are already slabbed as such. We feel a duty to be a steward of the hobby and turning a blind eye to the consequences of our policies just doesn't feel right, so we made our policies tougher.

Now to the fun stuff. THE AUCTION!

over 300 lots of Pre-War goodness, most of which is consigned by the great members of Net54! Yes it's a lot of our typical lower grade items, but there's still awesome stuff.

T213-2 Cobb

W517 Ruth Dark Green

Stunning Connie Mack Single signed ball. The authenticator at PSA brought it back to me personally because he wanted to tell me it was the nicest one he had ever seen.

1939 Pasadena Junior College Yearbook Featuring Jackie Robinson

Amazing Large Glass Negative of Jack Johnson

Tons of E90-1's with short prints and HOF'ers including Pink Keeler
Lots of T206's with HOF'ers
1908 Ogden Complete Set Break both series
A number of Abe Attell Items
TOUGH W554 HOF'ers
T207's including Joe Wood
and much more.

We close Sunday night the 27th so get those place holder bids in now! Still tons of items available for under $10!

Please post any questions or concerns you have to this thread so they can be answered publicly, and thanks to Leon, my consignors, bidders and supporters here on Net54. I hope I can continue to bring you auctions and service that are always improving!

Also check out:

Non-Sport Auction beginning Nov 6th Lots of Pre-War!
Oddball Odds & Ends Sports beginning December 2nd - Berk Ross, Wheaties, Kahn's, Arco, etc.

Scott
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 10-26-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:51 PM

Great auction Scott. I am definitely going after a few.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:17 PM
Tony Ooten

Hey Scott,

this post (and the terms on your website) indicates the 15 minute rule starts at 9:00 p.m., but the auction page on your website says the auction ends at 10:00 p.m.

does the 15 minute rule start at 10:00 pm? or 9:00 p.m.?

Tony
Old 10-22-2019, 04:08 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Hey Scott,

this post (and the terms on your website) indicates the 15 minute rule starts at 9:00 p.m., but the auction page on your website says the auction ends at 10:00 p.m.

does the 15 minute rule start at 10:00 pm? or 9:00 p.m.?

Tony
Good Catch it should be 10pm. Sorry for the confusion. I will fix it on the terms. Thanks!

Also wanted to mention we are accepting last minute consignments for the Oddballs Odds & Ends Auction. Appropriate items would be Redman Tobacco, Wilson's Franks, Berk Ross, Wheaties, Kellogg's etc.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 10-22-2019, 07:48 PM
Scott Russell

Congrats to member Scott L for being our 500th registered bidder. He gets free shipping on his winnings for this auction.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:55 PM
Ja@ck Win.ston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Congrats to member Scott L for being our 500th registered bidder. He gets free shipping on his winnings for this auction.
It's great to see an up and coming auction house growing so quickly. Awesome gesture giving something back to the hobby.

Last edited by JackW; 10-22-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:07 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post
It's great to see an up and coming auction house growing so quickly. Awesome gesture giving something back to the hobby.
+1 Also that is a beautiful T213-2 Cobb. If I wasn't putting in a new driveway I would have bid on that one.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Thanks Scott. Have my eye on a few things!
Old 10-24-2019, 07:28 PM
Jay

Great stuff in this auction Scott!
Old 10-25-2019, 06:36 AM
J3ff Thr0m

Default Registered

Just signed up
Old 10-26-2019, 05:43 PM
Scott Russell

Thanks for all the support everyone. Only about 24 hours left before extended bidding (10pm Eastern tomorrow night) Still some $10 and under T206's and E90-1's. Some really tough caramel cards, also a couple of tough backs flying under the radar. The Mathewson American Beauty and the common Cycle 460 both have considerable room.

Any photo buffs out there? The glass plate negatives of Abe Attell and Jack Johnson only have an opening bid and they're cool as hell!