NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-05-2017, 08:47 PM

Default Mantle-real or fake?

A buddy of mine bought this in an estate sale auction. Took a chance since he got it for $150 bucks. Figured I'd bring it to you guys. I have my doubts. Second picture is how it was when he bought it. First pic is obviously an up close. It's clearly been in the frame for a long time

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2017, 08:58 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Do not like

Tom C
Old 06-05-2017, 09:10 PM
N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Do not like

Tom C
Agreed. Looks too smooth to me.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:11 PM

Can you shed some light on what you don't like? I'm trying to learn and then I can explain it to him as well

Old 06-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Chuck Tapia

this one is slightly higher....Only $11,000 for the real one...

maybe you can explain to your buddy he has a nice Jersey to wear for a buck 50, but the signature is god awful.

Can you tell the difference now?

If a deal is too good to be true...it usually is. Maybe you can tell that to your buddy as well? If he never heard the expression, it's a cheap learning experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (76.9 KB, 338 views)
Old 06-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post

maybe you can explain to your buddy he has a nice Jersey to wear for a buck 50, but the signature is god awful.

If a deal is too good to be true...it usually is. Maybe you can tell that to your buddy as well? If he never heard the expression, it's a cheap learning experience.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Feel like a big man? I guess this is a place for ridicule and not learning. We all start somewhere but I guess to be here you have to know everything already rendering this site pointless

Old 06-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammer33024 View Post
Feel like a big man? I guess this is a place for ridicule and not learning. We all start somewhere but I guess to be here you have to know everything already rendering this site pointless

Our man Fudd has his own unique way of stating his opinion.

Truth being, no one sells an authentic Mantle autographed jersey for $300.00.

That, in itself, is a red flag.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:25 PM

Appreciate the response truth. He got it at an online estate auction and figured it was worth a shot for 300 bucks. No harm no foul

Old 06-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Yes, if you don't know everything already you must leave
That being said, if you want to say someone is acting like a pric* or anything like that, just put your name next to it and all is fine. Say what you want to. Hey, at least you got some help!! Our site is going on 17 yrs of pointlessness....

Quote:

Last edited by Leon; 06-07-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:45 AM

I'm really enjoying the site. It's amazing to see some of the stuff you guys own. Boggles my mind. Just a member of a ton of forums and I've never seen someone treat a new person like that. But I will keep asking questions and try to learn

Old 06-07-2017, 10:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I'm really enjoying the site. It's amazing to see some of the stuff you guys own. Boggles my mind. Just a member of a ton of forums and I've never seen someone treat a new person like that. But I will keep asking questions and try to learn

Dude, there are around 8000 members. Put that many type A personalities in a room and see what you get ..... There is every type of person you can imagine here . Actually, the guy (hey Fudd) you went off on isn't bad, just a little cranky sometimes. Some of these guys are old and crusty and cranky....like me. Just have fun and if it ever gets bad PM me and I will take a look. Overall, there isn't that much flame throwing here. That is because if anyone wants to flame they have to have their name by it. Take care and good luck....
Old 06-07-2017, 10:50 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

With regard to autographs, many people here are hesitant to point out specific flaws and tell-tale signs. They don't want to divulge key info or tip-off the forgers. This is normally for good reason....

I know you wanted a more detailed response, and that's frustrating. But a public forum is perhaps not the best platform (for this particular niche anyway). With that said.... lots (if not most) of this group is self-educated. It's not an overnight process... more like "trial and error" with all of us having made some mistakes along the way.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:16 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

Did not really think I was too hard on the Beaver, but I'm sorry If I offended you WhammerJammerthankyoumaam.

Didn't think by pointing out CAPTAIN OBVIOUS I was being a prick? You wanted to learn, so I thought I was helping you learn?

So be it. What are ya gonna do, I'm just a dick, Period. When I see obvious Mantle forgeries that would sell for 3-5K and someone buys one for 3 beans LOLOLOLOLOLOOLLLLLLLLLL, I have to ask if they are kidding? There are countless blogs at this point in the game on Mantle and Fake Vs real that 15 minutes of "LEARNING" could help you understand.

Again, my apologies if I hurt your feelings, that was not intended.

Respectfully, FUDD
Old 06-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Did not really think I was too hard on the Beaver, but I'm sorry If I offended you WhammerJammerthankyoumaam.

Didn't think by pointing out CAPTAIN OBVIOUS I was being a prick? You wanted to learn, so I thought I was helping you learn?

So be it. What are ya gonna do, I'm just a dick, Period. When I see obvious Mantle forgeries that would sell for 3-5K and someone buys one for 3 beans LOLOLOLOLOLOOLLLLLLLLLL, I have to ask if they are kidding? There are countless blogs at this point in the game on Mantle and Fake Vs real that 15 minutes of "LEARNING" could help you understand.

Again, my apologies if I hurt your feelings, that was not intended.

Respectfully, FUDD
Awww, Fudj is getting soft in his old age .
Stay cool Fudj, you are great.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-08-2017, 10:27 AM

We are good fudd. I appreciate the response. I was having a bad day and probably took it more personally than I should have. Take care my friend

Old 06-11-2017, 09:41 AM
qu@n nguy3n

that's how fudd talk, he doesn't sugarcoat anything! he's probably seen his fair share of suckers and feels the only way to beat some sense into them is with a hammer to the head, not a gentle nudging . i probably got a couple whacks a few years ago, but he's GOLD!