NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-24-2017, 12:54 PM
Scott Ti3k

Default Your current favorite MLB Broadcasters or Broadcast team?

I was just wondering who you guys/gals like as far as current MLB broadcasters or broadcast team?

Although I enjoy the current broadcast team for the Cardinals it's not nearly as enjoyable as it was when Jack Buck was still around.

For me other than the obvious Cardinals team, I also enjoy the Washington Nationals who have Bob Carpenter who is a local guy that had a a couple of stints with the Cardinals.

I also get a kick out of Bob Uecker on the radio side for the Brewers.

Who else do I need to check out?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 05-24-2017, 02:50 PM
Kyle May

Tom Hamilton on the radio for the Indians. One of the best in the business if you ask me.

Also, check out Matt Underwood and Rick Manning on STO for a good laugh. Manning has an ego, and puts Underwood in his place quite a bit. Underwood takes it well, but it's funny to watch.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 05-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Scott Ti3k

Thanks, I'll be sure to check out some Indians radio broadcast!
Old 05-24-2017, 04:32 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Do many of you listen to a lot of broadcasts that are not "your" team? I love the Mets TV guys and think they are brilliant, but their my guys and I hear them 100+ times a year, so not exactly a fair analysis.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:37 PM
Br3tt K0llin

I really like Dave Sims and Mike Blowers on TV for the Mariners. Entertaining without being overbearing and Blowers has had some pretty good insight into the game at times (the best of which will always be his legendary prediction of Matt Tuiasosopo's first career HR).

If you do give these two a whirl, make sure it isn't one of the days where Jay Buhner invades the booth for part of the game or you'll risk bashing in your TV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 05:43 PM
Scott Ti3k

I am currently listening to many different out of market games via MLB Gameday Audio.

It's 19.99 a year and you can listen to either home or away radio broadcast teams (even the local teams, no black out like MLB TV).

Last year was the first time I subscribed because I really wanted to hear as many Vin Scully games as I could before he retired.

I'll probably start a MLB TV subscription soon as it get's cheaper as the season goes on. Last offer I received was for $59 for the rest of the year.

I love baseball and want to watch/listen to as much of it as I can!
Old 05-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976 View Post
I really like Dave Sims and Mike Blowers on TV for the Mariners. Entertaining without being overbearing and Blowers has had some pretty good insight into the game at times (the best of which will always be his legendary prediction of Matt Tuiasosopo's first career HR).

If you do give these two a whirl, make sure it isn't one of the days where Jay Buhner invades the booth for part of the game or you'll risk bashing in your TV!

Buhner is that bad eh? LOL I sometimes feel the same way about Jim Edmonds on the Cardinals TV broadcast!

I know a lot of people are not huge Tim McCarver fans but I am happy to have him doing some of the games for the Cardinals. They recently had Bob Gibson & Steve Carlton visit the booth and the stories they told w/ McCarver were great!
Old 05-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

My favorite broadcasting team currently working is

ESPN's Dan Shulman, Aaron Boone, and Jessica Mendoza

second place to ESPN's Jon Sciambi and Rick Sutcliffe.

Favorite Broadcast Team ever was Jon Sciambi and Joe Simpson for the Braves 2007-09.

Favorite Radio Broadcaster- Don Sutton

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 05-24-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:58 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
My favorite broadcasting team currently working is

Favorite Broadcast Team ever was Jon Sciambi and Joe Simpson for the Braves 2007-09.

I don't have ESPN, so no go for me on that team! I'll def. check out some Braves radio games!
Old 05-24-2017, 08:45 PM
Duane Clark

As an O's fan, I watch the game on MASN but mute the sound and listen to Joe Angel on radio. I really enjoy Joe's sense of humor and the way he mixes some Spanish into the broadcast.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclarkraiders View Post
As an O's fan, I watch the game on MASN but mute the sound and listen to Joe Angel on radio. I really enjoy Joe's sense of humor and the way he mixes some Spanish into the broadcast.
I like the O's too! They used to be our St. Louis Browns after all.. so by default they are my AL team!

They have some hitters on that team but the starting pitching struggles. I like this kid Trey Mancini looks like he can hit!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:39 PM
Br3tt K0llin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan73 View Post
Buhner is that bad eh? LOL I sometimes feel the same way about Jim Edmonds on the Cardinals TV broadcast!

I like Buhner but listening to his schtick during a game is a bit much and often distracting. Doesn't help that he is overexposed around here due to incessant commercials he does for a local truck dealership.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:58 AM
And*y Quig!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Do many of you listen to a lot of broadcasts that are not "your" team? I love the Mets TV guys and think they are brilliant, but their my guys and I hear them 100+ times a year, so not exactly a fair analysis.
You saved me some keystrokes.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:18 AM
Br3tt K0llin

Quote:

I listen to quite a few others. Obviously I'm biased, but also glad I don't have to listen to many white sox games with Harrelson - also not a big fan of ESPN's current crews either. Get some additional exposure on MLB network of other announcers as well. Like Smoltz but can't stand Darling. Thank God McCarver retired!
Old 05-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976 View Post
I listen to quite a few others. Obviously I'm biased, but also glad I don't have to listen to many white sox games with Harrelson - also not a big fan of ESPN's current crews either. Get some additional exposure on MLB network of other announcers as well. Like Smoltz but can't stand Darling. Thank God McCarver retired!

McCarver is still active as part of the Cardinals TV broadcast team along with Dan McLaughlin, Al Hrabosky, Ricky Horton and Jim Edmonds. I'll take McCarver over Edmonds any time.

I enjoy McCarver more as part of the Cardinals broadcast team more than I did as a National Broadcaster. As I mentioned before when they have former Cardinals players such as Brock, Gibson & Carlton in the booth with McCarver sharing stories it is very entertaining!
Old 05-25-2017, 08:08 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Michael Kay is my guy..."There it goes......See Ya!!!"

Old 05-26-2017, 02:23 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfuego View Post
Michael Kay is my guy..."There it goes......See Ya!!!"

One man's idea of heaven is another's man's hell.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:30 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
One man's idea of heaven is another's man's hell.
LOL That can be so true!!
Old 05-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Quote:
LOL That can be so true!!

Old 05-27-2017, 05:37 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

I have always really enjoyed listening to Jerry Howarth in Toronto. And I agree Tom Hamilton in Cleveland is excellent. When the Tigers play these two teams I always try to find these guys if I'm driving.

We were recently on the west coast driving and got to listen to Jon Miller doing the Giants - I think he might be the best.

Unfortunately, I can't stand the radio guys in Detroit. You hear the ball hit the mitt on the radio while the play-by-play guy is intently discussing how Miguel Cabrerra hits .375 with power on Sunday afternoons when the sky is overcast. But I grew up with Ernie Harwell, so I'm a tough critic.

Does anyone still tune around the radio dial when you're driving to see if you can get other games? I just think it's cool to find a Phillies or Cardinal game on a nice clear night in Michigan.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:40 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I never hide my homerism, Gary Cohen, Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez do a great job doing Mets games.

It pains me to say it because I hated him as a player but ARod is pretty good.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:21 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I never hide my homerism, Gary Cohen, Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez do a great job doing Mets games.
I love Gary and Ron...Keith not so much. The broadcasts seem to be at a higher level when Keith isn't working. And Keith was one of my favorite ball players.

Jeff
Old 05-27-2017, 01:35 PM

How quickly we forget:

Favorite All-Time Broadcaster:

Mr. Vinn Scully!!!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-27-2017, 09:34 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
How quickly we forget:

Favorite All-Time Broadcaster:

Mr. Vinn Scully!!!

Nobody forgot! I was looking for current broadcasters. Getting to hear Scully during his final season was one of the main reasons I subscribed to the MLB audio service last year.

That being said.. and you can call me a homer... But my main guy was and always will be Jack Buck!
Old 05-28-2017, 10:48 AM
Al Richter

Default Broadcasters

At The Louisville Slugger bat museum they have a Broadcaster section where you can play famous calls by Hall of Fame broadcasters, including Scully and Buck and Harry Carry, who was also a Cardinal broadcaster until his dust up with August Bush and his turn to the Dark Side
Old 05-28-2017, 08:44 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
At The Louisville Slugger bat museum they have a Broadcaster section where you can play famous calls by Hall of Fame broadcasters, including Scully and Buck and Harry Carry, who was also a Cardinal broadcaster until his dust up with August Bush and his turn to the Dark Side

Harry as a Cardinal was before my time... But that being said other than Buck & Shannon I probably heard more games called by Harry Caray & Steve Stone growing up. I was so excited when we finally got cable tv and I had access to the Cubs (and later white sox) on WGN and the Braves games on TBS.

Last edited by cardsfan73; 05-28-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Nobody forgot! I was looking for current broadcasters. Getting to hear Scully during his final season was one of the main reasons I subscribed to the MLB audio service last year.

That being said.. and you can call me a homer... But my main guy was and always will be Jack Buck!

Ooops!

As far as individual team broadcasts are concerned, I only get the Braves:

When watching the Braves games, I mute the sound and listen to Don on the Radio.

I can't stand 'Slip' Carey...he's third generation overrated. He makes really stupid comments and he has greasy hair too!

-

Old 05-31-2017, 01:13 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Michael Kay when he is working with Paul O'Neill. Paul brings a goofy, fun side to the telecast that I enjoy.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2