NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-22-2017, 08:43 AM
Mike

Scott: Great ad ! Is that from the Detroit Free Press ? It's a 20 card set but they only listed 19 players ( they omitted - Fred Payne in the ad) to make 20 .

Still looking for the 1909 issue to see if it lists the Team Photo as part of the set. Let us know if you or others find anything from that year.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Here's the 1908 ad from November 3rd which mentions the updates to the set.

Attachment 299683
That is a neat ad!!
Old 01-08-2018, 01:50 PM
Mike

It appears Dietsche advertised in the Detroit Free Press greatly in 1907 and very little in 1908 and not at all in 1909. I did findone ad that "may" be referring to the Dietsche set, but who knows ? Little advertising in 1909 and therefore very little product sold it appears.
Attachment is from DFP Sunday October 3, 1909.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1909 dfp ad.jpg (74.3 KB, 737 views)

Last edited by insidethewrapper; 01-08-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Mike

Been some questions about the Dietsche Postcards so I bumped this one up again.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:55 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default Thanks All!

Jim (and others),

Superb material here! Thanks so much for sharing it-

Tim
Old 08-06-2018, 06:51 PM
J1m Ch@pman

Time to update this thread with my latest find fresh from the National.

Here is what I believe to be a partial 1907 RPPC showing the first incarnation of the 15 card initial set with the Cobb Fielding pose.

RPPC.jpg

The back looks like this. The other RPPC back is the one off of the well-known 1907 team pose RPPC shown below for comparison.

RPPC backs.jpg

RPPC fronts.jpg

Here is the back of another copy of the Detroit team RPPC, listed online, showing the AZO four diamond box.

AZO.jpg

My guess is a collector bought the advertised Dietsche set when it first came out, including the Fielding Cobb, before the Batting Cobb was available. He wrote the names and positions of the players, arranged them in a group of 15 with the manager Hughie Jennings in the center and overlaid the Detroit Tigers 1907 over the Jennings postcard. He then photographed them, created the RPPC and sent it to a woman (note the "Miss" in the address portion on back). Somewhere along the way the likely blank white front excess was trimmed away.

The back of the subject postcard has the same back as the 1907 team RPPC as shown above. The AZO four diamonds stampbox was only printed from 1907-1909. The AZO four triangles from 1904-1918. My guess is 1907 as it is very unlikely he would have bothered to do this at a later date.

At the very least this is one of the earliest examples of a baseball collector at work. I have never seen another example of a photo of an early card collection. At best, I'll kiddingly suggest it is a 1 of 1 version of the 1907 Ty Cobb Fielding RPPC. Whatever it is, I'm excited to find it!

Now here is where I'd love some help. Can anyone find me one of the 15 cards depicted in the RPPC with an exact match for the handwritten name and position? Do these copies still exist, I'd love to own one or at least see it and check if it has a postmark on the back.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:05 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Jim View Post
Time to update this thread with my latest find fresh from the National.

Here is what I believe to be a partial 1907 RPPC showing the first incarnation of the 15 card initial set with the Cobb Fielding pose.

Attachment 324883

The back looks like this. The other RPPC back is the one off of the well-known 1907 team pose RPPC shown below for comparison.

Attachment 324885

Attachment 324882

Here is the back of another copy of the Detroit team RPPC, listed online, showing the AZO four diamond box.

Attachment 324884

My guess is a collector bought the advertised Dietsche set when it first came out, including the Fielding Cobb, before the Batting Cobb was available. He wrote the names and positions of the players, arranged them in a group of 15 with the manager Hughie Jennings in the center and overlaid the Detroit Tigers 1907 over the Jennings postcard. He then photographed them, created the RPPC and sent it to a woman (note the "Miss" in the address portion on back). Somewhere along the way the likely blank white front excess was trimmed away.

The back of the subject postcard has the same back as the 1907 team RPPC as shown above. The AZO four diamonds stampbox was only printed from 1907-1909. The AZO four triangles from 1904-1918. My guess is 1907 as it is very unlikely he would have bothered to do this at a later date.

At the very least this is one of the earliest examples of a baseball collector at work. I have never seen another example of a photo of an early card collection. At best, I'll kiddingly suggest it is a 1 of 1 version of the 1907 Ty Cobb Fielding RPPC. Whatever it is, I'm excited to find it!

Now here is where I'd love some help. Can anyone find me one of the 15 cards depicted in the RPPC with an exact match for the handwritten name and position? Do these copies still exist, I'd love to own one or at least see it and check if it has a postmark on the back.
nice pickup...I almost snagged that!!!! it's a cool piece...even just 1/2 of its original size...a cheap way to pick up a rare cobb rookie!!!!!
Old 11-25-2018, 04:31 PM
J1m Ch@pman

Found this period postcard showing the Dietsche storefront, thought I'd share it.

Dietsche-store.jpg
Old 11-25-2018, 04:33 PM
J1m Ch@pman

Dietsche-store-crop.jpg
Old 12-16-2018, 01:50 PM
Kris Sweck@rd

Default Cobb Rookie PCs

I am very happy to be able to post again in one of my favorite threads! I just acquired the H.M. Taylor "Tyrus Cobb at Bat" postcard shown below. As Kevin stated above, his outstanding research has turned up the earliest postmark on any H.M. Taylor to be October 10, 1907. As you can see, my Cobb is postmarked October 12, 1907 at 7:30 pm in Detroit. Earlier that afternoon, the Tigers lost to the Cubs in Game 5 of the World Series by the score of 2-0, giving the Cubs the "sweep" by winning four games and tying one. Game 5 was only the second game played in Detroit in the series.

It has been generally accepted that the H.M. Taylor series was issued/sold from 1907 - 1909. The postmark clearly dates this one to 1907. But also look at the different font of "Post Card" and the H.M. Taylor notation on the bottom, which does not include the words "Rights reserved by" as most I have seen do. In fact, the only other Cobb I can find with the same back is on the tremendous vintageball.com site (it is not postally used).

There are a few different backs known for H.M. Taylor PCs, but this leads me to wonder about the correlation between the years of issue and the printing on the back. My hypothesis is that the back shown below, postmarked October 1907 here, was the first style used in the early printing of the H.M. Taylor postcards. Could it be that only ones with this back should be considered one of Cobb's "rookie" postcards? Are postcard collectors now going to collect backs like T206 collectors?

I would love to read your thoughts, comments, and further research!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taylor Cobb.jpg (19.8 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg Taylor Cobb back.jpg (17.6 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg Taylor Cobb PM.jpg (9.3 KB, 404 views)
Old 12-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Kris, great card. Do you have scans of any other backs of the HM Taylor Cobb? Mine is sitting at the bank and I don't think I can get there before Friday to check.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:49 PM
Kris Sweck@rd

Default Backs

Thanks Jeff. Here are the Cobb backs I have found by Googling.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:49 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Kris, I do not think that the font of the wording "Post Card" on the reverse is going to help us date these cards. Here are three distinct fonts, all used in October of 1907.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crawford b_800x512.jpg (61.3 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg Donvan b_800x522.jpg (64.2 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg Jennings 2b_800x523.jpg (54.5 KB, 425 views)
Old 12-17-2018, 09:21 AM
Mike

Default Another Variation Back

Here's another variation back of the Taylor Postcards from 1907-09 ? Can a PC expert tell the year of this type ? The team photo was used on several postcards, in newspapers on the 1907 WS Program ( see photo) etc. The dog sometimes is looking straight and other times looking to the left)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_49075_2.jpg (72.9 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg 1907 world series team photo.jpg (68.7 KB, 398 views)
Old 12-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Not sure where the 07-09 date range originates from, I believe they were ALL produced in 1907.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:31 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris19 View Post
I am very happy to be able to post again in one of my favorite threads! I just acquired the H.M. Taylor "Tyrus Cobb at Bat" postcard shown below. As Kevin stated above, his outstanding research has turned up the earliest postmark on any H.M. Taylor to be October 10, 1907. As you can see, my Cobb is postmarked October 12, 1907 at 7:30 pm in Detroit. Earlier that afternoon, the Tigers lost to the Cubs in Game 5 of the World Series by the score of 2-0, giving the Cubs the "sweep" by winning four games and tying one. Game 5 was only the second game played in Detroit in the series.

It has been generally accepted that the H.M. Taylor series was issued/sold from 1907 - 1909. The postmark clearly dates this one to 1907. But also look at the different font of "Post Card" and the H.M. Taylor notation on the bottom, which does not include the words "Rights reserved by" as most I have seen do. In fact, the only other Cobb I can find with the same back is on the tremendous vintageball.com site (it is not postally used).

There are a few different backs known for H.M. Taylor PCs, but this leads me to wonder about the correlation between the years of issue and the printing on the back. My hypothesis is that the back shown below, postmarked October 1907 here, was the first style used in the early printing of the H.M. Taylor postcards. Could it be that only ones with this back should be considered one of Cobb's "rookie" postcards? Are postcard collectors now going to collect backs like T206 collectors?

I would love to read your thoughts, comments, and further research!
Terrific pickup, Kris--a hearty CONGRATS!

Sincerely,

Larry
Old 12-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Kris Sweck@rd

Default Taylor Cobb

Thank you, Larry!

Jeff P., I admittedly know absolutely nothing about the printing process of the time (or anytime for that matter), but it just seems odd to me that the publisher would use different backs on the same card fronts if they were all printed at the same time. Especially during a likely very short time period during the 1907 World Series, which it seems all H.M. Taylors appeared/were used for the first time. I would think that type of change would happen in a separate production run. Which I would also guess might not happen until the next season. Why keep printing them during the off-season following the Tigers’ quick demise in the ‘07 Series?

All pure speculation!

Last edited by Kris19; 12-18-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:54 PM
pete ullman

I agree with your rationale that it is unusual if they were all printed at the same time that they would have different backs that does not make sense. I suppose it’s possible the photos were sold and then whoever bought them printed the back on there but if this were the case you might think there would be blank backs out there. Are there?? Otherwise it seems plausible they were printed a few different times possibly different years.

Last edited by ullmandds; 12-18-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:41 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris19 View Post
Thank you, Larry!

Jeff P., I admittedly know absolutely nothing about the printing process of the time (or anytime for that matter), but it just seems odd to me that the publisher would use different backs on the same card fronts if they were all printed at the same time.
HM Taylor may have printed at different times during 07 but I've never seen any evidence suggesting that these were printed post 1907. The team card also has a variety of back variations, would think it would be unlikely HM Taylor was printing postcards celebrating the 07 team in 09.

Kevin's post clearly shows different backs printed in 07. You see PC back variations a lot in postcard issues.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:14 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
HM Taylor may have printed at different times during 07 but I've never seen any evidence suggesting that these were printed post 1907. The team card also has a variety of back variations, would think it would be unlikely HM Taylor was printing postcards celebrating the 07 team in 09.

Kevin's post clearly shows different backs printed in 07. You see PC back variations a lot in postcard issues.
All three of the different backs that I have pictured above were postmarked within a 7 day period in October of 1907. It seems to me that they were all made and distributed at the same time.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:30 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Never thought I'd be able to join this club, but I have... Still pinching myself. Let some of my excess/non core focus stuff go and some modern stuff go and been busy chipping away at these early Cobbs...

I think the Seamless is by far one of the coolest cards in the whole hobby and still believe I was able to get one. After getting my D381 Cobb years ago I never thought I'd be able to land another Cobb nearly as cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47257365701_df0e016f4d_k.jpg (78.1 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg 47195429142_438dc766c7_k.jpg (74.6 KB, 313 views)
Old 03-07-2019, 05:38 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Congrats, Erick, that’s a great addition to your Cobb PC collection.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:39 PM
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
Never thought I'd be able to join this club, but I have... Still pinching myself. Let some of my excess/non core focus stuff go and some modern stuff go and been busy chipping away at these early Cobbs...

I think the Seamless is by far one of the coolest cards in the whole hobby and still believe I was able to get one. After getting my D381 Cobb years ago I never thought I'd be able to land another Cobb nearly as cool.
Erick,

All i can say is, "Wowsers!"
Old 03-07-2019, 05:44 PM

Congrats Erick, amazing pick up and a great addition to an-already amazing collection of Cobb PCs
Old 03-07-2019, 05:45 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Congrats, Erick, that’s a great addition to your Cobb PC collection.
Thanks a lot Jeff! Your collection is incredible.

And thanks to Ben! Thanks for deal on Dietsche

Last edited by yanksfan09; 03-07-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Mark Rios

Congrats!

Hell of a PC
Old 03-07-2019, 05:48 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Congrats Erick, amazing pick up and a great addition to an-already amazing collection of Cobb PCs
Thanks Ryan, you've been getting lots of amazing stuff, congrats to you as well, love that Rose PC.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:57 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

That Tubes couldn’t have gone to a better home or a nicer guy. Congrats Erick. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

Last edited by orly57; 03-07-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:59 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
That Tubes couldn’t have gone to a better home or a nicer guy.
Thanks Mark,

Thanks a lot Orlando! I'm honored to own it!
Old 03-07-2019, 07:19 PM
Ethan

Default Tubes

Congrats! Great card.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:27 PM
Paul Herbener

Congrats Eric! Great addition to your collection!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:49 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Congratulations on the Seamless. IMHO, that is the best of Cobb’s 1907 rookie postcards.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:49 PM
Mike Navarro

Jim,

You need to bring over some of those neat Cobb postcards, and I'll show you some neat Cobb autographs that I have.

Consider this an invitation.

Mike
Old 03-08-2019, 05:29 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
Congratulations on the Seamless. IMHO, that is the best of Cobb’s 1907 rookie postcards.
Thanks Ethan and Paul!

Completely agree Kevin, besides the D381 I need for the set I'm working on, I can't think of any other Cobb I'd rather own.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:18 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

These were advertised in the Free Press on October 8th and 9th of 1908. Anyone have any of these?

Detroit_Free_Press_Thu__Oct_8__1908_.jpg
Detroit_Free_Press_Fri__Oct_9__1908_.jpg
Old 03-08-2019, 08:59 AM
Jay Cee

Congratulations Erick on the Tubes Cobb postcard!!! A badass card no doubt and super investment. Impressive Cobb collection you are amassing!!

Jc
Old 03-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Paul D.

Hey Jim/others...

Thanks for all of the info/research on the Cobb post cards. Much appreciated.

I have a number of the 1907 Cobb H.M. Taylor cards. Here is my earliest.
Oct. 9, 1907

Paul D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img362.jpg (74.9 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg img363.jpg (73.5 KB, 240 views)
Old 03-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Mike

Scott: Here's the 14 cards that are referred to in the Detroit Free Press in 1908.

http://www.oldcardboard.com/pc/pc773-4/pc773-4gal.asp
Old 03-08-2019, 12:43 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Congratulations Erick on the Tubes Cobb postcard!!! A badass card no doubt and super investment. Impressive Cobb collection you are amassing!!

Jc

Thanks JC, That's the term I too think best describes the image!
Old 03-28-2019, 07:07 PM
James

Default were novelty cutlery postcards issued in multiple years?

tpg's state that these postcards were issued from 1907-1909. has anyone been able to verify that? if so, are they not considered cobb rookie postcards, which need to be limited to 1907 issuance?

Last edited by griffon512; 03-28-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:21 PM

Default 1907 HM Taylor PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon512 View Post
tpg's state that these postcards were issued from 1907-1909. has anyone been able to verify that? if so, are they not considered cobb rookie postcards, which need to be limited to 1907 issuance?
Jim - incorrect. If the production started in 1907, they are indeed a true “rookie card”. A classic example of this philosophy are many W600’s that were issued over several years and still represent rookie cards for many of baseball’s turn of the century players. I also believe the 1903/‘04 E107 Breisch Williams cards extended into the 1904 season. The key concept is the INAUGURAL production year.

Last edited by Vintageclout; 03-28-2019 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-28-2019, 07:53 PM
James

agree hm taylor is a rookie issuance.

you clarified that novelty cutlery is 1909 issuance, so all good now. tpg's mislabel the year of this set.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:40 AM
J1m Ch@pman

Here is a cool companion piece to the LaFond floral horseshoe postcard that a fellow member discovered and was kind enough to pass along to me.

LaFond scorecard.jpg

LaFond scorecard back.jpg

Note the LaFond name front and back and the 1908 Tigers game it was used to score.

Anyone else have any LaFond baseball memorabilia?
Old 03-29-2019, 06:56 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Jim, that game took 1:40 to be played.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:35 AM

Default Postmark date on Taylor Postcard

Can anyone read the date on this postcard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobb1.jpg (75.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Cobb2.jpg (74.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Cobb3.jpg (15.0 KB, 116 views)
Old 04-11-2019, 10:03 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by breck View Post
Can anyone read the date on this postcard.
oct 7, 1907