NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2017, 05:33 PM

Default TCMA checklists

Many of the TCMA issues from the early & mid 70s are not catalogued in the annual SCD or Becketts. Some of the checklists that are in the big guides are incomplete or erroneous. I am hoping to find correct, complete checklists for the following TCMA issues:
1973 TCMA Exhibit style reprints
1972 TCMA E121 style reprints
1973 TCMA Sports Scoop HOF set of 12? SCD lists Cramer. I have an O'Doul not listed, among the 12 I have.
1973? TCMA "Sporting News" style listing either 1909 or 1910 in upper corner. Have 13 different from each 1909 & 1910.
1973 TCMA "Bobo" set: SCD lists 10 in the set. I have 11 different.
Any help would be appreciated.
Mike Rich
Old 12-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Rich Klein

I know Mr. Aronstein's son is a Net 54 member. I will tell you from experience we did the best we could in my Beckett days to catalog those cards but I knew that was not a perfect list. I just wish we could add those cards for you in those checklists but it's not a super high priority for those companies at this point.

Rich
Old 12-07-2017, 07:46 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rich View Post
Many of the TCMA issues from the early & mid 70s are not catalogued in the annual SCD or Becketts. Some of the checklists that are in the big guides are incomplete or erroneous. I am hoping to find correct, complete checklists for the following TCMA issues:
1973 TCMA Sports Scoop HOF set of 12? SCD lists Cramer. I have an O'Doul not listed, among the 12 I have.
1973? TCMA "Sporting News" style listing either 1909 or 1910 in upper corner. Have 13 different from each 1909 & 1910.
Mike Rich
Hi Mike, being a Cardinal collector, I can verify these singles:

1973 Exhibit Style: 1921 Hornsby, Bill Doak, Jesse Haines, Milton Stock, George Toporcer, Doc Lavan,
1922 Specs Toporcer, Jack Smith,
1922 Eastern Exhibit Hornsby
1923-24 J.F. Fournier

1972 E121: William Doak, Rogers Hornsby, John Lavan, Jeff Pfeffer, Ferd Schupp, Milton Stock, George Toporcer

1973 Sports Scoop HOF: Enos Slaughter, Spuds Davis

1973? TCMA "Sporting News" style listing either 1909 or 1910 in upper corner: Edward Konetchy

I also have TCMA reprints from 1928 Tharps, 1933 Tatoo Orbit, 1936 Goudey, 1936 Goudey Wide Pen, 1938 Goudey, 1913 Tom Barker.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:34 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Mike Rich
Mike, I collect many of these sets and...

1973 Sports Scoop: I have the same 12 you do with no Cramer but I do have an O'Doul. It has been on my wantlist for several years so I am pretty sure we each a complete set. Simple checklist error.

1909-1910 Sporting News
Postcard sized reprint: I also have 13 of 1909 and 13 of 1910 for the regular sized cards BUT I also have a very large oversized card of the 1910 Cubs and one of the A's. IN 1909 I have team cards of Pirates and Tigers. Each team card measures about 5-1/2" x 8-1/2". I have never seen this "set" checklisted and always wondered if I had the whole set.

I think I have about 60 different 1921-1924 Exhibit cards, probably 40-50 different E121 like cards, and 85-90 or so different Wide Pen/Fine Pen cards.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 PM

Default TCMA Checklists

Randy,
Thank you for the info. Since you like TCMA Cardinals I wonder if you are aware the 1974 set of 1934 Cardinals comes with a heading of Cardinals and also Gas House Gang. While many TCMA issues have different card stock, causing white back or gray backs, or have color differences on front, this is one of the few sets that I have seen where the heading is different.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 PM

Rhett,
Like you I have about 50-60 of the 1921-1924 Exhibit cards. A few buddies of mine and I have come up with a potential list of 104 of the E-121 style. We question at least 3 of these, as having a "Collector Exchange" back, so I think those are a different issue. I have 99 of the 104, but 3 of the 5 I am missing are the Collector Exchange backs.
I am not familiar with the team cards you mention. Thank you for confirming my suspicion on the Sports Scoop HOF set.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:24 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Here are the team cards, I scanned one with a regular card to show relative size...

Old 12-08-2017, 08:44 AM
Randy Trierweiler

Quote:
Randy,
Thank you for the info. Since you like TCMA Cardinals I wonder if you are aware the 1974 set of 1934 Cardinals comes with a heading of Cardinals and also Gas House Gang. While many TCMA issues have different card stock, causing white back or gray backs, or have color differences on front, this is one of the few sets that I have seen where the heading is different.
Mike, I am aware the 1974 Gas House Gang set has different headers, as shown in my scans, but I believe each player has the SAME header. There are a couple interesting variations between the common red header issue and the much scarcer blue tint issue. Cliff Crawford's header was actually changed, and Ernie Orsatti's photo was completely changed making a unique variation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171208_0001.jpg (86.6 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171208_0002.jpg (80.5 KB, 348 views)
Old 12-08-2017, 10:20 AM

Those team cards are great. I had not seen those before. If you ever come across them again, please let me know. While I have not added the TCMA Exhibit cards to my list, most of my wants and haves are on the following link:
http://www.oldbaseball.com/wantlists...l_tag=mrichoth
The sets I have completed are on a link from there as well.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Rich Klein

I just checked the COMC Data Base and that 1934-35 Cardinals/Gas House Gang set from 1974 is fraught with interesting twists and turns. We have to add a tan back for one grouping but if anything else needs to be added -- let me know. Please understand we deal with cards in hand (sent to us) so if you see something that way let me know.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 12-08-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:37 AM

Randy,
Thanks for the scans. Unfortunately I do not have a scanner available. I only have 1 of the blue tints, the oversize Dizzy & Leo Celebrate. Other than missing a Healey with a white back, I have complete sets with both white and gray backs, both with 1974 copyright dates. I also have a 4th oversize Dizzy & Leo Celebrate that is blank backed instead of the write up on the 1934 Cardinals.
As for the cards with the different headings, in addition to Crawford, betweent he white and gray back sets, the following have the different headings: Carleton, Davis, DeLancey, Durocher, Lindsey, Rhem, Walker, Wares, Whitehead, Winford and "Daffy & Dizzy". No consistency as to whether the Gas House Gang are on the white or gray back or the 1934 Cardinals.
As for the different picture, such as Orsati, I also have Daffy Dean and Haines with 2 different photos.
So now I need a Healey with a white back and at least 1 complete set with blue tints. It seems the more TCMA cards I get, the more I need!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Hey guys, it’s great to see such enthusiasm for TCMA issued cards!

I can confirm that several of the checklists out there in the guides are incomplete, unfortunately. There were a LOT of TCMA cards and sets released between 1972 and 1987ish and details on those sets and card variations can be elusive.

I’ve found Bert Sugar’s Sports Collector’s Bible to contain accurate info for early TCMA sets through the mid 70’s. There are even a few updated versions if I’m not mistaken.

Like so:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Andrew Aronstein

BTW, I’m missing exactly ONE card from the 500+ card “The 1930’s” set - #481, Emil “Dutch” Leonard. Very interested in that one if anyone has.

I’ve also got several from that set available if anyone needs. TCMA’s first original cards (as opposed to the reprints they had issued up until that point), released in series of 24 back in 1972. Tough to track down these days.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:45 PM

Andrew,
I have the 3rd Edition of The Sports Collectors Bible. the only TCMA issue listed is the 1978 "the 60s". Your pic does tell me there are 110 cards in the E121 issue, so I am getting there, as I have 99 of them.
I only have 9 of the 1930s issue. Unfortunately not the Emil Leonard. I would be interested in possibly purchasing your extras. You can e-mail me at: mikesportsfan@aol.com
Old 12-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Andrew,
I have the 3rd Edition of The Sports Collectors Bible. the only TCMA issue listed is the 1978 "the 60s". Your pic does tell me there are 110 cards in the E121 issue, so I am getting there, as I have 99 of them.
I only have 9 of the 1930s issue. Unfortunately not the Emil Leonard. I would be interested in possibly purchasing your extras. You can e-mail me at: mikesportsfan@aol.com

Sounds good, Mike. Will shoot you an email tomorrow when I get a count of how many I’ve got. Want to say it’s around a hundred but I’ll see.

Also, feel free to shoot me a PM with a want list if you’ve got one. I do have some dupes available in other TCMA cards
plus TCMA related oddball items like event covers, HOF induction day cards, etc etc.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
BTW, I’m missing exactly ONE card from the 500+ card “The 1930’s” set - #481, Emil “Dutch” Leonard. Very interested in that one if anyone has.

I’ve also got several from that set available if anyone needs. TCMA’s first original cards (as opposed to the reprints they had issued up until that point), released in series of 24 back in 1972. Tough to track down these days.

I will look for an extra Leonard. I am missing only #412 Uhle and the series #121-168...

Great info from the Sugar book... here are two of the sheets they are referencing...

Old 12-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I will look for an extra Leonard. I am missing only #412 Uhle and the series #121-168...

Looks like I struck out on finding cards for you, Rhett. Most of my dupes are from the mid 400’s and up with a few random lower numbered cards mixed in.

What I DO have, that you might be interested in, is an unissued 8 1/2 x 11 checklist card for the unnumbered Series 1, 2 & 3 cards. Found a few of these in our stash of TCMA related material last year. Im using one as the first album page for my set:

Old 12-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I’d love one of those as an addition to my set. Lmk via message what you want for one. I have a few duplicate TCMA sets if you are missing any sets or singles for yourself.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:59 PM
Kevin

Default 1972 TCMA "The 1930's"

Quote:

The only 2 that I have are #112 Raymond Hayworth & #374 Frank Croucher.

Cards measure approximately 2" x 2-7/8".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tcma.jpg (74.1 KB, 274 views)

Wanted:
updated March 3, 2024
Detroit Tigers American Caramel & National Caramel

For sale or trade
updated October 24, 2018
Old 12-11-2017, 02:41 PM

The complete series of #121-168 is currently for ale on Ebay at not too bad a price. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:04 PM

Default 1972 TCMA 1936 Goudey Wide Pen reprints

I just picked up a lot of 80 different of the above set. The Trading Card Database lists 200. However, every card currently on Ebay is among the 80 I already have. Does anyone have the set of 200 or can confirm there are 200 different in this reprint set?
Old 11-01-2019, 08:10 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Default TCMA checklists

Quote:
I just picked up a lot of 80 different of the above set. The Trading Card Database lists 200. However, every card currently on Ebay is among the 80 I already have. Does anyone have the set of 200 or can confirm there are 200 different in this reprint set?
Mike, if we’re talking the 1930’s set there are 500+ cards. Released in individual series of 24 cards each. Complete checklist at link below.

Last edited by TCMA; 11-01-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:11 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Mike, if we’re talking the 1930’s set there are 500+ cards. Released in individual series of 24 cards each. Complete checklist at link below. BTW, I’m looking for ONE card to complete my set - #481 Emil “Dutch” Leonard.

Also, these are NOT reprint cards. In-fact, this was the very first set of original cards produced by TCMA.

https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Checkl...;s?PageIndex=1

Old 11-01-2019, 08:59 PM

Sorry. It deleted my heading of 1972 TCMA 1936 Goudey Wide Pens. I am familiar with the 1972 TCMA the 1930s issue, but this is a distinct reprint set.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:01 PM

I should mention these reprints of 1936 Goudey Wide Pens are only 2 1/8" x 3 1/2" instead of postcard size like the originals.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I should mention these reprints of 1936 Goudey Wide Pens are only 2 1/8" x 3 1/2" instead of postcard size like the originals.
That reminds me of the time I bought a full Darby Chocolates box on ebay. The guy, a non collector, lived around 40 minutes away so we met in person to do the deal. This was around 5-6 yrs ago and I still had my original Darby card in my collection, so brought it along. When we met he showed me the box in the palm of his hand. He had done a bit of research and even knew about the barn find with the plethora of cards with smoke stains on them. It was the mini-box (reprint) version as these TCMA's are. I showed him the real card and we laughed, I got a quick refund and all was well.
(not mine any longer)

Tags
1972, 1973, e121 reprints, exhibit reprints, tcma