NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Default ebay warning: jshefts

Posted By: Glenn

Stay away from jshefts. He ended my 1933 Goudey Ruth auction (5196991510) with Buy It Now, then claimed to have done so on accident, later claimed that it was ebay's fault and he hadn't clicked the Buy It Now at all, managed to negotiate me down to a lower price on that card, then won the other card I was auctioning off (5199041164) the very next day. His check finally arrived four days ago and bounced today. I contacted my bank, and they told me that the account from which the check had been drawn no longer exists. Stay away from jshefts.

Glenn

Old 06-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Engelhard

I hope he got some nasty negatives as a result

Old 06-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Nasty negatives? I hope he gets a felony charge.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Wierd.

The guy has nothing but 100% positive feedback and bids on a lot of high dollar items:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&userid=jshefts&completed=1&all=1&rows=200&sort=3>

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=jshefts

Maybe it really was a mistake? Hopefully he will do SOMETHING to explain his behavior.

Otherwise... having a 100% feedback is going to be a lot less meaningful to me.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Engelhard

Wouldn't that be great, a criminal charge for bouncing the check. Maybe it'll catch up with him, maybe not. Like most other Ebay deadbeats, he'll be back again under a different user name.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

With that type of feedback and the quality of cards that he has bought I would think that something fishy is happening. I am sure that something went wrong and he will probable make amends for your troubles. You don't get those type of feedbacks for high $$$$ cards if you are a deadbeat. So lets not bach him as of yet and give him a chance..

Old 06-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Administrator

If it had just been a bounced check I might give the guy the benefit of the doubt, especially with his recent buying record, but he wrote a check from an account that doesn't even exist. I've just filed the NPB complaints with ebay in the past hour, so I'll give him a little time to explain himself, which may be more than he deserves, but I'm not optimistic about his chances of having 100% positive by this time next week.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Administrator

I don't blame you for being angry.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

send the card based on his feedback, maybe that was what he was hoping for...i'd give him a week or two to straighten things out, then BAM! slap him with the negative feedback...then im sure he'll respond with something that makes you look like the bad guy and jumped the gun...
pete-

Old 06-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I sold him a 1933 Goudey Dickey PSA 8 - that he paid via paypal immediately:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86843&item=5199955700</a

I also know some of his other card buying activities, and to me, everything seems legit. He's new to the collecting cards, so I think he gets impulsive and makes mistakes often. That's probably what he did with your 144 Ruth PSA 5 and tried to do whatever he can to get out of it...although he should have just stuck with his mistake.

If I were you, I'd be really angry and upset. But it is very surprising. I'd contact him and hope it was just a stupid mistake and he makes it right to you.

edited for link problems and other formatting problems

Old 06-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Man I usually get stoned for being a bleeding heart liberal around here, but HELLO!, first he blames ebay for the BIN mysteriously going off, then he weasels the price down, then he sends a check that bounces, then to top it all off-"I contacted my bank, and they told me that the account from which the check had been drawn no longer exists." That's not a "mistake" from an "honest" person, that is a scammer, a cheat and a guy that needs to learn first hand about the criminal justice system. In our State what he did is a Class C felony, punishable by 3-10 years in the state pen, a fine of $10,000 or both fine and jail. A first time offender would get probation, fine, have to submit his DNA to the state crime lab, and have a felony on his record for 3 years. This is more than a case of "ooops."

Old 06-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Glenn contacted me privately to ask if it was alright to post this issue. I told him as long as he put his name by it, and since I don't know him too well, give me a little personal info, then it would be ok. Glen graciously did as I asked (for the protection of the board) so here we are. I hope it all gets worked out...regards

Old 06-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

I agree with cmoking. Let's try to give jshefts the benefit of the doubt. I've had nothing but positive experiences with him. He pays quickly and there have never been any problems. Have you tried to call him and discuss the situation with him yet?

Old 06-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Administrator

you are hearing one side of the story on this forum...that side may be 100% true or it may not be, I don't know.

there is also history to consider - and that's the feedback left on some big valued cards. if this guy was on a scam, why did he bother to pay the others? I'm not saying its not possible that he is screwing around on this card while paying for the others...but its not consistent and thus makes one wonder. That is enough for me to want to wait a bit and see what happens (at least if I was the seller). Is it a coincidence that the seller now has a hard-on in selling this card right away (see the trade page)...maybe, maybe not. I don't know. To me, there is not enough evidence based to say anything definitive.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i gotta go w/tbob on this one. watch his negatives start piling up soon.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

It could be as simple as his account being hijacked. Make sure to contact ebay and try to call the buyer using his contact info.

Joshua

Old 06-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Administrator

"Is it a coincidence that the seller now has a hard-on in selling this card right away (see the trade page)..."

Hardly. Not a coincidence that I would need money the day I woke to find $0 left in my checking account because I put too much faith in a hot check.

jshefts has been in contact with me via email over the past several hours. He isn't able to explain what happened with the check but tells me he'll wire me the money on Monday. Hope so.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Please let us know if things go well or sour on Monday.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

TTT

Old 06-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

Just a message that Mr.Shefts did bounce a $5000+ check with us with same stale check which he said was accidently sent....He did immediately respond and said he had issued several stale checks to e bay vendors such as myself and he was going to make good rapidly..although he could not send a bank check for some reason, we will give him benefit of doubt..Check was drawn on South Side Trust & Savings, Dunlap, Illinois for anyone who had returned checks..He was cordial and responsive to problem...

Old 06-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Since I last posted on this thread: jshefts agreed to send money order or cashier's check Express Mail today. He later emailed me with a UPS tracking number. The tracking number is invalid according to UPS.com, and in any case, UPS won't deliver to my (or any other) P.O. Box, which is where jshefts claims to have sent it. I've explained this to him and told him that the undeliverable check will be returned to him and that he can still send the check via Express Mail and get it to me by Wednesday (which is the latest I can possibly give him before selling to another buyer); he responded that he could get me the money if I'd give him my physical address. Maybe I'm just paranoid at this point, but that seems a little suspicious to me, particularly since he had no trouble sending a bad check to my P.O. Box (though, admittedly, even that took him quite a while). Anyway, I don't trust the guy. I'm still going to give him until Wednesday to produce the money, but if he doesn't, then I'll sell to someone on this forum. Anyone who wishes to make an offer or see scans of the card, please contact me directly via email at gscheyd@hotmail.com

[Thank you, Leon, for allowing me to post about this.]

Old 06-14-2005, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Glenn, you are a lot more trusting and nice than I would have been...I would have already contacted local authorities and bouncing a check that bad is certainly a felony. He sounds like a crook to me. Maybe I am getting cynical in my old age.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamison Shefts

Folks, this is just a mistake. I dont even know how I had checks from that account left, nor does my accountant. I wrote 5 checks the same day, all the same problem. I have overnighted payment to all parties. I didnt know that UPS would not deliver to PO Boxes. Your tracking number is 1Z 701 Y0V 23 1000 2263, always has been. Also, I did not hit "buy it now" .. I was trying to make you an offer, then it came back that I had bought it ... I tried to retrace my steps unsuccessfully .. Glenn, at the time you understood and we came up with a fair value and even though I felt it was high felt I was obligated. I paid within a week or so, although with a bad check. I have sent your payment plus $50 as you know to help alleviate any ill feelings .. I have also offered to wire the funds into your account if you so choose which is what I am doing for Andrew Tuttle ( Rock Bottom ) and his was for $28k and he is VERY understanding and professional about the situation. Folks, I am trying to do all I can .. I bought $105k from Robert Edwards last month .. think I am trying to scam on $2500 .. common now ..........

Old 06-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Jamison:

I have seen you buying a TON of stuff lately, so I figured you were legit.

Are you a collector or a dealer? Are you just now entering the vintage arena from the modern stuff?

Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you... and then hopefully the guys who crucified you can forgive you.

I still don't blame Glenn for being perturbed, but I am sure he will feel better when it is all finalized.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Jamison Shefts is the PRESIDENT of Southwestern Bell Telephone Company and sole owner of the nationwide corporation "Access2go"...

so I think he can probably "make good" on payment whenever he buys something!

But enough about his side jobs... we want to know more about the important stuff: His COLLECTION!!

Old 06-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

It looks like a happy ending!
Bravo!

Old 06-14-2005, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamison Shefts

Glenn, the reason I could not get you a bank check yesterday for overnight was that I was at a charity event out of town and nowhere near my bank. I had my secretary send out the checks ASAP to make sure you got it. I had NO idea that UPS will not deliver to a PO Box ( do now ) ..

You know what, I dont give a damn about your fxxx cards, if you are going to crucify me over this so be it, keep the damn things, give me negative feedback, have a ball, I dont really care. I have done what I can to rectify my mistake. at this point I think you realize that you look like a dick that shot his gun off too fast and dont want to look bad. this hobby isnt my life or my income stream, I just do it for fun and for a future investment for my kids.

As for any of the rest of you that do not want to do business with me, that is fine, just give me your logon or id or whatever you guys call it and I will make sure to honor your request.

Sure appears that there are some here that have never made a mistake before, but I guess I am one that just does but at least I pounce on it right away and try to make ammends, that is all I can do. I sleep very well at night knowing that I help anyone around me the best that they can and they can come to me at a drop of the hat, I feel that is my mission on the planet.

Sorry for anyone that this affected that didnt understand my possition.

Jamison

Old 06-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Glenn .. here is some info .. if you get a hold of UPS and give them your precious home address you can have this delivered ..

Jun 14, 2005
10:18 A.M.
HOUSTON, TX, US
POST OFFICE BOX ADDRESS. UPS IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN AN ADDRESS TO WHICH DELIVERY CAN BE MADE, NOT DELIVERED;A POSTCARD HAS BEEN SENT TO THE RECIPIENT REQUESTING THAT THEY CONTACT UPS.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Administrator

heading to the post office right now

Old 06-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Jamison: I am sure that you can appreciate that to some of us a difference in monthly cash flow of $2K+ can have a substantial impact. In these cases a sequence of errors can make a seller a bit edgy.

I certainly can sympathise with both sides of this incident and trust that everyone else can as well. I do not pretend to sit in judgement of anyone and offer no conclusion other than mutual understanding was lacking a bit, perhaps because communication was sparse.

Be well.

Gilbert Maines
identify7@aol.com

Old 06-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamison

Your comments are noted and very accurate I believe Gilbert .. I just wish I would have had a chance to explain and correct BEFORE this thing got to this point ..

As it is I found out on Saturday and could have had the funds there on Monday if I could have had bank info for the wire such as I did with others that were effected.

Again, I screwed this up and I do appologize .. I do see, sort of, where Glenn is .. but a phone call would have settled this whole thing quickly like it did with the others ... COMMUNICATION !!!!!!!! but again, my error.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

I'm glad that you came forward to gave your side of the story and I don't think that anyone is willing to nail you to the stake - but I have to say that some need to realize that this sort of money is not small chickens to some. Me personally, that is a load of cash. I don't have an unlimited cash flow that I can depend on if I happen to not get paid for an expensive item I sell. Please put yourself in the buyers shoes on this one.
I do have to say that you made good in my eyes by coming forward and telling your story.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

is don't rely blindly on others (bookkeepers, secretaries, etc.) to handle your business.

That and don't send UPS to PO boxes...

Old 06-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Certainly there were problems here, but I don't think they can be chalked up to a pauctiy of communication, as I have 17 emails from Jamison in the past week currently in my inbox. This includes:

"Going out today, UPS overnight .. tracking number 1Z 701 YOV 23 1000

Jamison"

from yesterday morning, so I'm surprised now that to hear that my my tracking number "always has been" 1Z 701 Y0V 23 1000 226 3.

In any event, the new number checks out. Nobody at the post office knew anything about it, but I've spoken with UPS on the phone and they will attempt delivery of 1Z 701 Y0V 23 1000 226 3 to my home address, the precious one, some time tomorrow.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Administrator

And yes, I'm glad it looks like the story will have a happy ending.

"Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit."

Old 06-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamison

sorry for your troubles Glenn, completely non intentional .. I will be more careful ( not a strong suit of mine )

Also I appologize for my language on the earlier string .. just frustration and I guess embarassment on my part.

Lastly, my secretary changed the envelope that I had ready for her to send you because I had ripped off the "customer" copy of it and she thought that maybe UPS would have a problem with that, therefore the change in tracking number. Hell this thing is getting so many stories behind it that I am even having trouble believing it !!!!

whatever could have gone wrong did .. well not really, in the end you got your money, there was no scam as I am sure you guys get time to time .. so maybe a 7 on the 1-10 scale of pain in the ass problems ....

Old 06-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave H

I am quitting coffee. Caffeine makes me tired, irritable, dependant, lazy, disturbs my sleep, and an all around grumpy person.

I must say, thanks for lightening the past day of crushing headaches. Its been a joy reading this thread.

On a side note, I suspect both you guys are also too addicted and dependant on too much coffee/caffeine. Contact me if you wish to talk about what I have learned.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

That's just my regular personality

Old 06-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

Thank you and Thank Wes. Now if only I could find a few others to move on with this tough set~

Old 06-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

not that this was a great topic (although maybe some good came out of it) but could we please stay on topic in threads, pretty please......regards