NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 06:50 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Got that right....

Like they say, "opinions are like ass-holes, everybody's got one...."

My opinion -

OP probably jumped the gun on the post.

LOTG showed a lot of class in addressing this.

OP was understanding enough not to take the money and cards. IMO, that would have been a total dick move if the OP accepted the freebie.

In the end, OP and LOTG are good to go - a happy ending (of sorts).
Al already said he understood why the OP started the post...so it would appear from Als post the OP jumped the gun..correct me if im wrong.

and again, for you to think it would of been a bad move to accept the freebie (free $520) again shows that you are surprised that amount would of been offered...which is what i said..

Also noted the freebie (whether additional money or keep the cards) was only offered AFTER this thread was started and cards found...not before
Old 01-11-2018, 06:54 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
Jake, thank God that we have you here. We'd all be lost without the presence of your immense knowledge regarding each subject which is discussed.
Luckily you are here to say something negative on every post i make....luckily for us you are here to find our path....

as to Ranier about quoting sales in posts...leon said specifically last week that this was not allowed to avoid any confusion....you emailed me a bunch on this whining and reporting it to Leon....so now its not done anymore...some agreed with it...some didnt.......but glad to see you take a chance to pile on with Tony and his checkered history with me (though i not comment negatively on his posts not directed toward me)....... Nice to see you cleaning up the hobby of people not having an asking price now for people to see 5 years from now...

maybe you can now criticize someone for bumping their thread too much that no longer does it anymore.....just wait for someone to criticize that person and then pile on...... congrats..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-11-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
Jake, thank God that we have you here. We'd all be lost without the presence of your immense knowledge regarding each subject which is discussed.
I think he said an ocean liner of words for a canoe of thought. And I am still not quite sure what the heck he meant!!

And I just saw him reply to you, now he can reply to me too.

Last edited by Leon; 01-11-2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:06 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Absolutely, I feel enlightened every time he quotes the sale price followed by GLWS and all the brilliance brought. The grasp of the obvious and go against the logistics is simply amazing. Bravo, just bravo...

Right and not only enlightnened but whine to me through email and email Leon...congrats its not done anymore as we had an official ruling on it by Leon a week ago.....Your post looks like you have no axe to grind. Glad you cleaning up the hobby..

Were you the kid that reminded the teacher that homework wasnt turned in yet after the bell?

I only made this post in response to yours thats throwing my name out there and talking about quoting prices..even though it wasnt done since Leon's ruling.. Not sure why you didnt want to leave things alone as it was since you got what you wanted...but maybe you like to stir the pot..

Bravo

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-11-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:08 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think he said an ocean liner of words for a canoe of thought. And I am still not quite sure what the heck he meant!!

And I just saw him reply to you, now he can reply to me too.
Ill take canoe..its better than a paper boat which I have been accused of in the past...
Old 01-11-2018, 07:11 AM

Default Lotg

Quote:
Originally Posted by botport View Post
First off to Al...

I appreciate you coming on here and admitting fault and agreeing with the timeline that I put forth. You were always a gentleman when we talked regarding this situation and you were also a gentleman in this forum. For this I commend you and truly appreciate your actions. Should I have been more patient? It surely appears many feel that way and that is something for me to consider in future actions.

Having said this I feel it is important to say that none of this would have happened if one of two things took place.

1) I received my auction winnings.
2) I was reimbursed in what I felt was a timely manner.

In less than 24 hours since I have posted this thread it has been suggested that I be sued. I have been blacklisted. My character has been called into question. I find it ironic that many will give LOTG a pass for what many (myself included) consider an honest mistake but will crucify me for also making what they consider a mistake.

To me, what I did was the equivalent of leaving a negative feedback. And to me, it was a negative experience.

Also, thanks to the many posters who tried to see my side of this and posted level headed, understanding responses.

Lastly, I am going to reserve the post below this reply to post the scan as promised because I do not want to bump this thread again.

Always nice to see a happy ending but the OP is getting crushed and I can’t comprehend it.

Happy New Year 🎊
Old 01-11-2018, 07:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Right and not only enlightnened but whine to me through email and email Leon...congrats its not done anymore as we had an official ruling on it by Leon a week ago.....Your post looks like you have no axe to grind. Glad you cleaning up the hobby..

Were you the kid that reminded the teacher that homework wasnt turned in yet after the bell?

I only made this post in response to yours thats throwing my name out there and talking about quoting prices..even though it wasnt done since Leon's ruling.. Not sure why you didnt want to leave things alone as it was since you got what you wanted...but maybe you like to stir the pot..

Bravo
Jake, I guess you could call me asking you not to circumvent others wishes on leaving prices in the BST by quoting the OP, as some kind of ruling, but it was more of not allowing you to screw over others. It is up to each person to leave prices in the BST, when you quoted them you took their choice away. That isn't fair and won't be allowed. BTW without this thread there wouldn't have been a resolution yet, I don't think. Al is one one of the best and his customer was frustrated. Now it's fixed....all is well....

Last edited by Leon; 01-11-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:36 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Always nice to see a happy ending but the OP is getting crushed and I can’t comprehend it.
Quote:
BTW without this thread there wouldn't have been a resolution yet, I don't think.
The OP did take a crushing and whether some agree with his methods or not, it worked. It's amazing to me how the cards went lost for 30 days, but once this thread was started they were miraculously found that very same day. I agree with Leon, I don't believe the cards would have been found (at least not anytime soon) if not for this thread. I truly believe it was an honest mistake, but it sure lit a fire under someone to find the cards.

This is nothing new though. I've seen similar situations like this before here where someone will complain against a board member and/or seller and the OP gets lambasted all because the one being complained against is considered a "good guy" in the hobby.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 01-11-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:11 AM
Joe

I received a package from Al (LOTG). It was at least a year before I opened. I trusted Al that it would be all there and I just pushed it aside until I cleaned my den. Months before his auction I had a heart attack and in the box was a heart felt note from Al wishing me well. One of the good guys? One of the best. Thanks Al.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:14 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The OP did take a crushing and whether some agree with his methods or not, it worked. It's amazing to me how the cards went lost for 30 days, but once this thread was started they were miraculously found that very same day. I agree with Leon, I don't believe the cards would have been found (at least not anytime soon) if not for this thread. I truly believe it was an honest mistake, but it sure lit a fire under someone to find the cards.

This is nothing new though. I've seen similar situations like this before here where someone will complain against a board member and/or seller and the OP gets lambasted all because the one being complained against is considered a "good guy" in the hobby.
Correct me if I am wrong, but this Brown Old Mill issue seems important. If it is, in fact, a Brown Old Mill, then it had no business in a lot of commons that sold for $500. If, on the other hand, the card was mislabeled, shouldn't that little detail have been mentioned in the description? I wonder if the OP even knew about the OldMill or if it was his motivation for purchasing the lot. It would certainly explain his anxiety about not getting the lot he purchased. Perhaps he will chime-in on that, though he may have PTSD after the beating he took.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:19 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I wonder if the OP even knew about the OldMill or if it was his motivation for purchasing the lot.
I think the consensus is that it's really not a brown OM but, if the recipient thought it was, maybe that might be his motivation for not returning the cards right away.

I would love for the recipient to chime in as he obviously reads this thread, but something tells me that we won't be hearing from him.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:24 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but this Brown Old Mill issue seems important. If it is, in fact, a Brown Old Mill, then it had no business in a lot of commons that sold for $500. If, on the other hand, the card was mislabeled, shouldn't that little detail have been mentioned in the description? I wonder if the OP even knew about the OldMill or if it was his motivation for purchasing the lot. It would certainly explain his anxiety about not getting the lot he purchased. Perhaps he will chime-in on that, though he may have PTSD after the beating he took.
I suspect the OP knew, which raises the question of why would a real brown OM be placed in a lot with 10 other pedestrian cards and displayed in the catalog without an image of the back, at least in the online version of the catalog?

If it’s not a real brown OM, perhaps PSA should chime in.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 01-11-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Post 197 from Pat had this link, http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249408. The person who won the 11 card lot is the same person who started the thread in the link Pat provided. Clearly the description of the lot should have mentioned the card was mislabeled. At the very least a back scan might have helped since 7 of the 11 cards' backs were shown.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:49 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Jake, I guess you could call me asking you not to circumvent others wishes on leaving prices in the BST by quoting the OP, as some kind of ruling, but it was more of not allowing you to screw over others. It is up to each person to leave prices in the BST, when you quoted them you took their choice away. That isn't fair and won't be allowed. BTW without this thread there wouldn't have been a resolution yet, I don't think. Al is one one of the best and his customer was frustrated. Now it's fixed....all is well....
Its your website and its not me to question your rules. Once I understood the rule I followed it and i made no mention of the matter on the forum after the ruling.

You only heard me chime in in response to Ranier who made a comment about it and i wanted net54 to know the context of it. I found it odd since I had not done anything since the ruling.

I agree, net54 solved the issue with the OP and he was even offered a free $520 basically as well. That did not happen before he started the thread, correct me if i am wrong.

So the auction house sent the wrong cards to someone, but did offer the OP extra after the thread was started and after they got the cards and also it appears according to Botn , they could of had a better description on the Lot in question. Mistakes happen, im glad it all worked out.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-11-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 AM

I don't see what difference it makes if the Old Mill is brown or not. The card was won and paid for. Second guessing what should have been in the auction or not now or whether or not a card should have been sold is way past due.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post

He's a good guy, had him over one time to pick up some consignments and drop off some winnings.
Yeah I'm going to guess that an ultra rare Corcoran N172 wasn't part of the consignment.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
Hi everyone:

This has mostly been a great discussion. I thought, now that the problem is on the fast-track to resolution, I would chime in with one last post to perhaps clarify a few things.

First and foremost, I have no issue with Frank opening this thread. I’ve been a member of this board for years, and time and again I’ve seen conflicts addressed and resolved due to discussions here. I’ve also seen many collectors get restitution simply by voicing their concerns. If I have to take a little heat, even when I am trying to do the right thing, that’s just collateral damage from a resource that is very, very helpful to this community.

Back on December 14, I received a payment from a long-time customer for his auction winnings. He included a note, asking if there was any way I could expedite his shipment so it would arrive before the holidays. In my haste to get his package out, I mistakenly put Frank’s 11 T206 cards (which had been pulled for packing as well) in with this customer’s items. I learned this today, because that customer read this thread, reviewed his shipment, and realized he had the cards. He has already shipped the cards back to me and provided a tracking number, and I should be able to turn them around and ship them to Frank by the end of the week.

It is truly unfortunate that this happened, because it is my goal to satisfy every single winning bidder with every single transaction. At the same time, over the five-year history of LOTG we’ve shipped about 15,000 different lots – and as much as I’d love to say we’re batting 1.000, it’s probably more like we’re batting .995. And while it’s true there were more slip-ups when the company was younger and we were still learning the ropes, from time to time I still make a mistake. What I CAN say, unequivocally, is that when I discover a problem, I do my best to resolve it as quickly as possible.

In this case, Frank made me aware that he had not received his winnings on December 20. After checking my records and realizing his lot was pulled but never shipped, I searched the storage area and, upon realizing the cards were no longer in our possession, attempted to piece together where I had inadvertently shipped them. I asked Frank for a couple of days to get to the root of things, knowing that the cards likely were still in transit due to holiday volume slowing USPS delivery times. After taking December 23-25 off for Christmas, I returned to the office on the 26th, hoping that the cards had arrived at their mystery destination, and whoever received them would reach out. On December 28, when that hadn’t happened, I advised Frank I would issue a full refund rather than hold his money, and apologized for my sloppy work. I cut the check on the 29th, the sixth business day after learning of the problem.

There is a second point I feel is worth addressing. During the course of this thread, a few people came to my defense – or at least attempted to offer an explanation for my mistake – by commenting that my company is a “one man show.” I am thrilled to say this is actually not the case. As many of you know, this fall Jeff Prizner joined me as consignment director, becoming the second face of LOTG (Jeff has a better face than me). But Love of the Game for quite some time has had capable behind-the-scenes help as well in the shipping room, and for scanning and photography, description-writing, and finance. I am not the only guy here!

I had a very pleasant discussion with Frank this afternoon, and I am thrilled to be able to get closer to making this right for him. It was his first experience with my company, and I messed it up. To those of you who offered kind words in this thread, I’m super appreciative. But what’s most important is that each time something like this happens, I can use it as a lesson to improve the service I provide to each of you.

Now…on to the next auction. We’ve got some FANTASTIC stuff lined up, it may well be the best auction we’ve ever had. I’d much rather be talking about that!

Warm regards,
-Al
Sensational. As a buyer or seller LOTG is the kind of AH I want to work with.
Al, I still haven't checklisted everything so you'll have to hit me up again for a future auction.....In my mind you're the best in the business because you are a really fine human being. Honesty pays, and you're as straight up and down as the days are long.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Fr@nk H.0r.v@th

Default Updates...

First off I did receive Al's reimbursement check today, 1/11/18.
As previously mentioned, I will not be cashing this check, only holding it until the promised lot arrives.

Also, I did speak with Al today and he let me know that he has the cards ready to ship and he was also very adamant that the Paige was NOT a Brown Old Mill. Yes, I did notice the flip prior to bidding in the auction and took a gamble that it was indeed a BOM and perhaps I had stumbled across a little score. It also appears from our conversations today that I will not be receiving the Paige OM in my upcoming shipment. At this time I would prefer to let Al give the explanation as to why.

I realize that I said that I did not want to bump this thread, but since this update contains new information I felt it would be best to submit a new post for chronological purposes.

Frank Horvath

CAMNITZ HAH BACK RUN PROJECT:

T206 Camnitz (HAH) AB 460 / SC Fact 25 and OP / EPDG (Upgrade Needed)

T206 Magee Portrait
T206 Walsh
T206 Joss Portrait
T206 Red Cobb
T206 Shag
T206 E Collins

Last edited by botport; 01-11-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:08 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
As previously mentioned, I will not be cashing this check, only holding it until the promised lot arrives.

Also, I did speak with Al today and he let me know that he has the cards ready to ship and he was also very adamant that the Paige was NOT a Brown Old Mill. Yes, I did notice the flip prior to bidding in the auction and took a gamble that it was indeed a BOM and perhaps I had stumbled across a little score. It also appears from our conversations today that I will not be receiving the Paige OM in my upcoming shipment. At this time I would prefer to let Al give the explanation as to why.

I realize that I said that I did not want to bump this thread, but since this update contains new information I felt it would be best to submit a new post for chronological purposes.

Frank Horvath
So you are getting what you paid for minus the one card....
Old 01-11-2018, 02:12 PM

Default Paige

Quote:

Frank Horvath

That’s interesting.... where did that card go?
Old 01-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Bob Davies

In case anyone cares, the cabinet guys and I have come to a resolution too. It's costing me $165 instead of $500.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:24 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Was it postmarked the date it was claimed to be mailed (the 29th I believe)?

Quote:
It also appears from our conversations today that I will not be receiving the Paige OM in my upcoming shipment. At this time I would prefer to let Al give the explanation as to why.
Well, Al, you're online right now. How about the explanation?
Old 01-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Hopefully back to PSA to get the flip corrected but in the meantime why not a bit more mystery.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Al

Quote:
Well, Al, you're online right now. How about the explanation?
Yep, it's coming. Hang tight.

-Al
Old 01-11-2018, 02:43 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
Yep, it's coming. Hang tight.

-Al
Hurry up Al; I demand an explanation for an issue that has nothing to do with me.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 01-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Why did the honest recipient of cards that were not his sell one of the cards he didn't win? And what a coincidence that it was the one card that had a possibly erroneous flip which, on its face, was worth multiples of what the OP paid for it. Forgive me if these questions have been answered above; I just can't bear to read all of this.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:55 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
Hurry up Al; I demand an explanation for an issue that has nothing to do with me.
Don't be a jerk. As auction bidders, it affects us all. I think there is a lot more to the story here than is being told.

The cards sure arrived back to Al awful quickly if the recipient only mailed them on Tuesday. That's some quick shipping. It takes a check 13 days to get from Al to the OP, but only takes less than 2 days for the cards to get from the recipient back to Al.

I also think Al knew in advance that the Brown OM wouldn't be returned and that's why he told the OP to keep the check.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
Al, apparently there's nothing to explain. Your loyal friends and followers will support you no matter what man. Don't waste your time explaining why this guy's cards were lost, and then found, and then one went missing. Don't get into the coincidence that the one that went missing just happened to be labeled Brown Old Mill. There is no need. Please don't mention how long you've known about this missing card or why you failed to mention it in your rather lengthy post about finding the cards. Guys are going to believe what they are going to believe no matter what.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:12 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Al, apparently there's nothing to explain. Your loyal friends and followers will support you no matter what man. Don't waste your time explaining why this guy's cards were lost, and then found, and then one went missing. Don't get into the coincidence that the one that went missing just happened to be labeled Brown Old Mill. There is no need. Please don't mention how long you've known about this missing card or why you failed to mention it in your rather lengthy post about finding the cards. Guys are going to believe what they are going to believe no matter what.
Ain't that the truth.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 01-11-2018, 03:19 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default I think I have it

All you diligent conspiracy hounds are right! Did anybody notice the number of Al's most recent post, where he "claims" the "explanation" is "coming"? - surely that is the key to all this - (plus he's from New Jersey...) Al is in fact the Antichrist.!

Last edited by timn1; 01-11-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:20 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Don't be a jerk. As auction bidders, it affects us all. I think there is a lot more to the story here than is being told.

The cards sure arrived back to Al awful quickly if the recipient only mailed them on Tuesday. That's some quick shipping. It takes a check 13 days to get from Al to the OP, but only takes less than 2 days for the cards to get from the recipient back to Al.

I also think Al knew in advance that the Brown OM wouldn't be returned and that's why he told the OP to keep the check.
That's a strong accusation. If true it wouldn't be a good look at all for LOTG, and a few posters in the thread would owe Jake an apology for criticizing him for questioning the gesture of allowing the OP to keep the lot and the check.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 01-11-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:20 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
All you diligent conspiracy hounds are right! Did anybody notice the number of Al's most recent post, where he "claims" the "explanation" is "coming"? - surely that is the key to all this - Al is in fact the Antichrist.!
awesome! Hopefully Al posts something quickly so that hos post counter moves to 667!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 01-11-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Ne@l K

if there has ever been a thread for "1420" to chime in, this would be it!

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 01-11-2018, 03:30 PM

This thread has everything. Will an auction house crash and burn? Will a guy get a Brown Old Mill? Will a poster with a maligned theory be vindicated?

Tune in next time.....
Old 01-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

I hate to admit it but I'm a bit glad I didn't unsubscribe from this thread 23 pages ago like I should have.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Yeah I'm going to guess that an ultra rare Corcoran N172 wasn't part of the consignment.
He has promised to hold the first 41 lots of his Spring 2047 auction for the Corcoran collection.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 01-11-2018, 03:32 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
I hate to admit it but I'm a bit glad I didn't unsubscribe from this thread 23 pages ago like I should have.
Hold tight. The best is yet to come.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:40 PM
De.rek Gre.nce

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
All you diligent conspiracy hounds are right! Did anybody notice the number of Al's most recent post, where he "claims" the "explanation" is "coming"? - surely that is the key to all this - (plus he's from New Jersey...) Al is in fact the Antichrist.!
😂😂😂 now that’s funny!
Old 01-11-2018, 03:43 PM

Wild theory here...perhaps PSA wants it back to reholder/relabel?

Brian
Old 01-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Al

The plot thickens...

Developments over the last day or so require I make another post here, so here goes. Suffice to say I feel like the knucklehead in a bad 1970s sitcom. I know it’s a commonly-used phrase, but you can’t make this stuff up.

The lot in question, won by Frank, was a group of 11 T206 cards. This thread happened, and the person who received the cards in error told me he found ten of the 11. He kindly sent them back, because he’s a good guy, and did the right thing, and deserves a pat on the back. Frank was aware that only ten cards would be coming back. I did not know which ten, nor did I think to ask. Since Frank was only going to get ten of the 11 cards, and since in my mind I had already written off the cards as a loss, I offered Frank to keep his refund, as well as the cards. Frank showed exceptional character by refusing to take the money.

This morning I wake up and read about a Brown Old Mill. Guys, give me some credit. I feel pretty confident in saying that I’m not going to overlook a brown Old Mill and accidentally list it in a group of commons in my auction.

Back in early October, I received a submission of 76 T206s back from PSA, all from the same consignor. I grouped them together in lots, and passed them along to the part-time employee who was helping scan the cards for the auction. When I was proofing his work, I noticed that two cards were mislabeled by PSA as Brown Old Mill. One - the Paige - had already been scanned as part of what became lot 262 - the lot that started this thread. The second card - a Bill Bernhard that I was going to list on its own - had come back a PSA 4.5. Given that Brown Old Mills should not have numerical grades since they’re all hand-cut, something was clearly wrong - not to mention that neither back looked brown to me.

I contacted PSA about the two cards, and they asked me to send them back to be reholdered. I sent them back, PSA reholdered them and shipped them back to me immediately at their expense. Here’s a screen shot from the PSA submission of that reholdering/relabeling job, showing both cards and their cert numbers.

Meanwhile, the original lot of 11 cards - the one this thread is about, with the scan of the Paige card with the incorrect Brown Old Mill flip, was listed in the auction. The scan of the 11 cards SHOULD have been replaced with a new scan including the Paige in the correct holder. They weren’t. OR, the or the entire lot should have been listed as a group of 10 without the Paige. It wasn’t. That’s where I screwed up (the first time).

INSTEAD, the two cards that were reholdered by PSA wound up erroneously being re-scanned together, and listed as a separate lot in the auction - lot 234. That lot contains the Paige AND the Bernhard, in the correct holders. If you look at the Paige card in lot 262 and the one in lot 234, they are clearly the same card - same pinhole at the top, same cert number on the flip, but one has the wrong description on the label.

So now, I’ve got the same card listed in the auction twice, and I don’t realize it. It is a common card, graded 1, very unnoticeable. Except that Frank, and probably some other folks as well, think there’s a chance that there’s a Brown Old Mill hiding in a lot of relatively common T206s, and rolling the dice might wind up with a nice score.

And, of course, when Frank doesn’t get his lot, hilarity ensues, as it would only be natural for Frank to think that somebody was playing games on this end with his Brown Old Mill.

It wasn’t until this morning, when I read posts in this thread about the Brown Old Mill, that I realized that this problem went even deeper than I had realized. I contacted the guy who'd received the ten cards to make SURE he couldn't have possibly still had the 11th card, and he insisted there was no way. In searching to figure out if it was possible that I still had the Paige here, I searched “Paige” in my most recent auction - and there it was, in lot 234.

SO, I contacted the winner of lot 234, the two Old Mills, in hopes that I could buy that card back from him and send it along to Frank with the other ten.

The winner of that lot (lot 234) is a Net54 member, extremely well-respected in the hobby, one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet, and anyone who’s been on this board for any length of time knows him. I’m going to leave his name out of this thread. He’s working on a collection of Old Mill Southern Leaguers and I believe he’s building the set raw. So he went to break the card out of the new, ironclad PSA holder, and he damaged the card.

It looks like this now.

So that’s why Frank is not getting the Paige. Because it has a giant hole in it, as I discovered today. The guy who got the 10 cards by accident was being honest - he only got 10 cards, and he shipped them back quickly because he is a nice guy who lives one state away.

This afternoon I shipped the ten cards, along with a check for $100 to cover the cost of the Paige, to Frank, via Priority Mail. He should have them Saturday.

A promise: As long as Love of the Game Auctions is a business, I will occasionally make a mistake, and when I do, I will own it and do everything I can to fix it. Less occasionally, but still occasionally, I will make more than one mistake with the same lot. However, a far more important promise (I think): you will never, ever, see me engaging in any kind of sinister, unethical behavior. I understand that the natural response is to assume - especially given some of the history in this hobby - that the worst possible thing is happening. However, I started LOTG IN RESPONSE to that element of the hobby. There are no shenanigans going on with this company. Period.

Had I found that I made a mistake and listed a brown Old Mill in a lot of commons in my auction, I would have withdrawn the lot, explained why, and listed the brown Old Mill as its own lot in my next auction. I would NOT lie about it, be devious about it in any way, because that is not how I do things. For those of you who would like to think otherwise, I get it, but it’s just not that exciting. If you’re looking to find an auction house lying and cheating its customers, look elsewhere.

Once again, to Frank, I apologize for all the ridiculousness surrounding this lot. I’m not going to answer questions like “Why did he ask to have his items before the holidays?” or “Why did the mail deliver one thing really fast and another thing really slow?” because they’re unanswerable questions.

I hope this clears everything up.

-Al
Old 01-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Ok, guess my theory was only slightly correct. Let's all go back to the realization that Al is not the antichrist.

Brian
Old 01-11-2018, 03:59 PM
Todd Schultz

So that's all you got, Al? You're gonna stick with that?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Dave_Berg

You cannot make that shit up!!!! I hope everyone has calmed down, I'm laughing my ass off.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default it's official

Al WAS the Antichrist but now he isn't anymore.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Derek Granger

I feel like I'm living in a Seinfeld episode. Great stuff!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Fr@nk H.0r.v@th

Default End game...

Al did tell me all this today and I am glad that he came out to explain it so quickly and thoroughly because he did a much better job than I could have possibly done.

I have been doing a considerable amount of thinking since this thread was started and I would like to do something to try and get something positive out of this entire ordeal.

My idea is to auction off 9/10 cards for charity here in the BST auction section.
(I'd like to keep the Evers for myself)

I would need three things to make this happen..

1) A charity that we can reach a decent consensus to give the proceeds to.
2) A middleman that is well respected that can deliver the money to the charity.
3) Net54 members opinions on 1/2 and also should this be a new thread or continue here?

So, I understand this is a major shift of gears from where we have been the last few days, but I think this could surely produce positivity as a result of this thread.

Frank

CAMNITZ HAH BACK RUN PROJECT:

T206 Camnitz (HAH) AB 460 / SC Fact 25 and OP / EPDG (Upgrade Needed)

T206 Magee Portrait
T206 Walsh
T206 Joss Portrait
T206 Red Cobb
T206 Shag
T206 E Collins

Last edited by botport; 01-11-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:23 PM
David McDonald

I owe Al an apology.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:

2) A middleman that is well respected that can deliver the money to the charity.

how about Al?
Old 01-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Dave_Berg

I would 100% match the total sale if the charity is autism speaks. I do not want to serve as the middleman however. Anyway, good luck
Old 01-11-2018, 04:37 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Al did tell me all this today and I am glad that he came out to explain it so quickly and thoroughly because he did a much better job than I could have possibly done.

I have been doing a considerable amount of thinking since this thread was started and I would like to do something to try and get something positive out of this entire ordeal.

My idea is to auction off 9/10 cards for charity here in the BST auction section.
(I'd like to keep the Evers for myself)

I would need three things to make this happen..

1) A charity that we can reach a decent consensus to give the proceeds to.
3) Net54 members opinions on 1/2 and also should this be a new thread or continue here?

So, I understand this is a major shift of gears from where we have been the last few days, but I think this could surely produce positivity as a result of this thread.

Frank
I would suggest maybe the American Cancer Society, as it seems from many of the sadder posts on the board over the years, cancer has claimed too many collectors or their family members.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Closed Thread