NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-15-2023, 07:26 PM

Default What cards did you get for a steal, although you didn't realize it at the time?

So in the early80's, I was involved with a mail order auction. Probably something I saw in the classifieds of the Sporting News. I won like four cards for maybe $25 altogether. I felt like, if I won four cards in one auction, I must be such a Rube.
All well and good. One of the cards I won, for like $12, was a 1915 Harry Heilmann ZeeNut. (coupon cut off, naturally). I guess it kind of worked out.

Last edited by One 'ol Cat; 04-15-2023 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2023, 10:28 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

You mean aside from all of them? Certainly anything picked up pre-pandi seems like the world’s biggest steal right now.

Might be easier to name the stuff that doesn’t seem like a screaming deal. Basically for me the only stuff on that list is from the junk wax era. Otherwise, everything I picked up pre-pandi has gone up by 300% or more in the last couple of years. So while it seemed like I was paying a lot at the time, little did I know that I was getting a screaming deal by today’s standards.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 04-16-2023, 05:47 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Better deal than I thought

Picked up 10 1954 Johnstons Cookies in vg including Mathews…. others commons…. but later realized that the Bobby Thompson ( included as a common) was a rare short print in that set!! Nice surprise…
Old 04-16-2023, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Picked up 10 1954 Johnstons Cookies in vg including Mathews…. others commons…. but later realized that the Bobby Thompson ( included as a common) was a rare short print in that set!! Nice surprise…
I got a T206 lot in early 2001 for about $600 for 40 cards, which is obviously a steal now, but back then I got the lot and saw that the George Davis card had an upside down back, showing parts of four Piedmont ads. I had no idea of the value, so I went on the Full Count message board and asked about the price.

The first response I got was that it had no extra value, but the person thought it was interesting so they would pay a little extra for it. I believe they said $75. The next person said don't sell to them, I'll give you $300. Then someone offered $400, followed by two people who said they would top any offers. I did not sell the card and still have it
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 04-16-2023, 07:17 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

A bought a lot of 1952 hi numbers on ebay, the seller threw in a poor eddie mathews rc!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-16-2023, 07:53 AM
jim qu.inlisk

I also collect postcards, caught this on ebay with a buy it now 2 minutes after it was listed for under $300. I was happy to have ANY ty cobb for under 300. I think i could sell it and make a profit.

Later again on ebay a 1952 topps Mantle KSA 2 for 3400. I thought as long as PSA authenticated it, I would be ok. I jumped in the bidding at the end and was afraid I paid too much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img197.jpg (225.5 KB, 1212 views)
Old 04-16-2023, 08:07 AM
qualitycards

As Raulus stated anything vintage bought pre-pandemic has appreciated nicely.
Modern, not so much. Imagine stockpiling on unopened cases of 1988 Donruss,
Fleer, Score & Topps?

15 years ago when I was working on my 1st set of T3 Turkey Red's
I won on ebay an ungraded Mathewson for a song, maybe $240. dlvd
My bid was much higher, so was curious why it went so low.
Then I noticed the seller was from England & back then there was no ebay protection
for lost or stolen packages.

It did arrive in the condition as advertised, worn & stained. Had it graded & it fit in nicely in my set.

Old 04-16-2023, 08:39 AM
Ken McMillan

All of my E121-120 Ruth Cards
Old 04-16-2023, 09:51 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Bought a small "lot" at Hillsville Flea market for less than $20. I knew nothing of T206 at the time, just knew there were some older cards in the group. Brought home and it sat on my desk for 3 or more months, until one day I decided to look up what it was. Turns out it was a Broad Leaf Billy Purtell, sent it to PSA , now 2 of them are known, sold for $750, but really wish I had it back. But Alas , I am now hooked on the vintage!
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 04-16-2023, 11:03 AM
M@rk K3mm3rl3

Default Would you like a '52 Bowman Mantle for $1.00?

Sometime in the '80's, a dealer/friend from who I'd bought many times, asked me "How'd you like a '52 Bowman Mantle for a dollar? It's beat up, but it's still a '52 Bowman Mantle." Of course I said, "Sure." Pix are below, but now it could be the single favorite card I own, just as a reminder of a more innocent time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Bowman Mantle DW front crop.jpg (145.6 KB, 1114 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 Bowman Mantle DW reverse crop.jpg (131.2 KB, 1114 views)
Old 04-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Michael Skiles

Default Cards in a Steal

I went to a card show in Dearborn. Michigan in 1987. Gordie Howe was the autograph feature. My daughter wanted to get her Red Wings pennant signed and I had a jersey to be signed. We got there and bought autograph tickets. We numbers 407 and 408 for the line which had not started. Everyone was sitting in the bleachers waiting for Howe and no one was walking around the tables. My daughter and I started looking. She got a couple of grab bags and I got to the last table and saw a stack of 1962 Jello cards. There were 42 cards in the stack with 2 Willie Mays cards. The price was 120.00. I looked through the stack and there were decently cut. I had 100.00 in my wallet. I asked him his best price. He said he hadn't sold anything all day and would take 105.00. I told him I had a hundred in the wallet but, would like to have 20.00 to take my daughter to lunch, He said ok. We then sold our autograph tickets to someone else who had come in. (By then they were into the 700's) We went to lunch.

So, in the stack besides the 2 Mays, was a Koufax, Frank Robinson, Ernie Banks and three that I had no idea are the incredibly tough to find:

Bobby Richardson, Bill Stafford and Curt Simmons.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:28 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

In the late 1990's, I did a deal for most of Lew Lipset's Sporting News M101-5s that he had advertised for several months. These included Jackson, Cobb, Stengel etc., but the crown jewel was the Ruth RC. Lew wanted $5k for the Bambino but dropped to $4.5 since I was buying a large lot. I subsequently had it graded by Derrek Grady at SGC, where it received a grade of 5.5. It is long gone, of course, sold when I folded the Full Count tent.
Old 04-16-2023, 01:32 PM
Harrison

My best would be when I picked up a raw Sanella Ruth in mid 2000s for around $30 and sold it at the peak in 2021 for over $2k. I still miss that card and wish I still had it but I needed the money at the time.
Old 04-16-2023, 01:50 PM
Fred

Beat up D304 Cobb for $75 back in the 80's. Graded at a "1" - beat to heck, but real. Picked up a second D304 Cobb about 10+ years ago on fleabay (BIN) for under $500 (I think it was $475). Although it graded out a "1", it's much nicer than the first one.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:19 PM
George E.

I bought a 30s R card lot in order to get a few Gold Medal Foods cards I needed to complete my set. I paid $126 dollars for it, which is the most I have ever spent on a single card purchase. But I was fairly confident I could sell some of the cards and mitigate the cost. And that definitely proved true. I got the last Gold Medal card I needed - a tough-to-find Firpo Marberry, and was able to upgrade four others in the set and sell the duplicates. I sold about half the remaining cards at the time and recovered my cost. But I wish I still had them. The condition on these cards was prisitine for R cards, and I probably should have gotten them graded. I still have some of the bigger cards from the group. All told, if the market remains, I probably got 15X the value out of that lot.

To sum up according to the point of the original post, the surprise of it was two-fold, some of the cards included in the lot ended up being better players and more rare issues than I thought. And the superior condition of all of the cards was something I didn't realize was as big of a deal as it was until recently.
Old 04-16-2023, 03:50 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

In October 2015, I bought a T206 Jack Powell with an Old Mill back. It was just another card for my master front/back set. I paid $65. Some time in 2018, I was searching my card backs for EPDG's, because someone here on Net54 had asked if anyone had a certain EPDG back print flaw. My cards are in alphabetical order, so I had to skip through the backs until an EPDG back came along. Nearly all my cards are off backs. So, as I was quickly passing the other backs, I stopped at an Old Mill back, because it just looked different. It turned out to be a Blue Ink Old Mill back. Even after all these years, I still haven't gone back and checked my other Old Mill backs. I have 240 Old Mill's, but only 46 of them are from print group one, which are where the Blue Old Mill's can be found. So I had the card for about 3 years, before noticing the variation.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Last edited by Ronnie73; 04-16-2023 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 04-16-2023, 04:12 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Agree with the prior post that just about anything vintage i bought years ago could qualify, though I will go with this one as a steal. It surely was a nice card, but never expected even mid-grade versions to appreciate anywhere near as they have. Paid $100 raw for this at a show in the late 90’s. Had it graded a few years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0ED8E24E-D614-42E1-8188-948AE5474867.jpeg (74.8 KB, 1044 views)
Old 04-16-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
followed by two people who said they would top any offers
This sounds like a good way to infinity dollars.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skil55voy View Post
I went to a card show in Dearborn. Michigan in 1987. Gordie Howe was the autograph feature. My daughter wanted to get her Red Wings pennant signed and I had a jersey to be signed. We got there and bought autograph tickets. We numbers 407 and 408 for the line which had not started. Everyone was sitting in the bleachers waiting for Howe and no one was walking around the tables. My daughter and I started looking. She got a couple of grab bags and I got to the last table and saw a stack of 1962 Jello cards. There were 42 cards in the stack with 2 Willie Mays cards. The price was 120.00. I looked through the stack and there were decently cut. I had 100.00 in my wallet. I asked him his best price. He said he hadn't sold anything all day and would take 105.00. I told him I had a hundred in the wallet but, would like to have 20.00 to take my daughter to lunch, He said ok. We then sold our autograph tickets to someone else who had come in. (By then they were into the 700's) We went to lunch.

So, in the stack besides the 2 Mays, was a Koufax, Frank Robinson, Ernie Banks and three that I had no idea are the incredibly tough to find:

WOW; simply WOW! Congratulations and way da go, Michael. --- Brian Powell

PS---Unless he already has the story for his 1962 JELL-O chapter, you must tell or send this story to Ken Marks. This is a beaut!
Old 04-16-2023, 05:12 PM
James M.

A few stories behind each of these cards:

The Aaron RC was purchased off of Becketts Marketplace, back in the Late 2000's. I don't recall the exact price but it was something in the ballpark of $130. I wanted to own the RC of Henry Aaron, I saved my money and was able to purchase it. The Killebrew and Banks RC's were won on Ebay, both for under $100, during the same time period. I couldn't understand how these guys, who were members of the 500 Home Run Club, both so cheap. All of which are in rougher condition, but it matters little to me.

The Koufax, was purchased during COVID. The seller told me that it displays great but measures a touch short of what normal 1955 Topps go for. I have zero plan to grade it, got it for a steal, I'm happy with having it in my collection.

The Minnie, was a throw in from a member on the forum. They were selling 1952 Topps, all lower series. We went back and fourth through a chain of emails, I actually purchased from him twice. Minnie was discussed, but we could never really settle on a price. After I received my second shipment of cards, I noticed the Minnie was in there, and immediately contacted the person, thinking he made a mistake. He told me that because we talked about it so much, he decided just to throw in Minnie for free. This was shortly before his election to the Hall of Fame, so obviously hindsight is 20/20.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:29 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

This card was a more recent "steal". Basically it was a right time, right place. In April 2020, one random night, but actually very early morning, I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. So I checked the newest eBay T206 listings. One seller had 4 listings. 2 were common Piedmont PSA 4's, 1 was a common Polar Bear PSA 4, and the last was a common front, but a more difficult American Beauty 460 back, and it was also graded PSA 4. Each card was listed for $190 each. I only purchased the American Beauty.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 04-16-2023, 06:13 PM
Donny Muth

Default 1967 Topps

When I started working on my 1967 Topps set, I bought several lots of commons off eBay. In one of those, was this Spezio error card. I didn't realize it was valuable until sometime after I added the cards to my set binder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spezio_front.jpg (139.0 KB, 997 views)

Old 04-16-2023, 06:25 PM
Brandon Bailey

Sometime in the late 1980s Hawaiian Punch came out with a deal that if you sent in 10 proof of purchases with a SASE they would send you a vintage baseball card worth at least $50, one per household. My family were big Hawaiian Punch drinkers so I sent off the day I found out and eventually gave my best friend the proof of purchases as well as his family weren’t Hawaiian Punch drinkers. When the cards arrived I got a 1952 topps Hank Sauer in NM+ condition, my friend got a 1957 topps Warren Spahn in NM condition. I remembering thinking he made out far better than me, but I was able to trade him a McGwire and canseco rookie for the Spahn card. Based upon how 52s have gone insane pricing wise the Sauer card is the bargain today, but looking back both were bargains since we drank Hawaiian Punch either way and just had to send in the SASEs.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:39 PM
qualitycards

Brandon, never heard of that promotion
& just checked & saw this ad
Wish I wouldda known about it

Last edited by Jay Wolt; 04-16-2023 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:54 PM
Brandon Bailey

That is so awesome! So only 3 proofs of purchases I know we drank more than that every week.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
This sounds like a good way to infinity dollars.
When I didn't respond directly to anyone, I believe (trying to remember from 22 years ago) that I was contacted by them with $600 and $800 offers. Those two offers definitely happened, I'm just not 100% sure it was the two people who said they would top anything.

Instead of selling, I started searching for them and found three others about two years later in a collection. Unlike the first offer I got, I paid a good price to someone who wasn't quite sure what they had.

The Davis is in the top right:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail (10).jpg (59.6 KB, 973 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 04-16-2023, 07:31 PM

When I was probably 12 years old at a card show (at a shopping mall, they used to be in the mall!!), I got a 1933 Goudey Mel Ott (the green one) in pretty nice shape for $20. Years later I had it graded and it was a PSA 4.5. I'm not sure exactly what it's worth since I have not looked to sell it, but definitely more than $20!
Old 04-16-2023, 09:57 PM
Tim Odeen

In 2019, a St Louis auction house advertised on Net54 for a huge card auction he was running with Ruths, Gehrigs, etc. I won two lots, both Wheaties, for $145 + buyers premium + shipping. I thought it was a great deal then. I got Gehrig, Foxx, Rip Collins, Pepper Martin ×2.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 04-16-2023 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:51 PM
pete ullman

Early pandemic purchase...winter/spring 2020...ebay...best offer...5 blue bird babe ruth's supposedly from original find. I have no reason to not believe this. At this point these were selling for maybe 2-3K each in mid grade condition. These looked nice. I was very nervous as I wasn't accustomed to dropping 14K on an impulse.

They graded 5,5,5,5.5,6.

I sold 2 and basically recouped my investment. Sold 2 more and I kept the nicest one for myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62459081133__526359FA-7137-4496-A03A-1EF13C4F8719.jpg (199.1 KB, 915 views)
Old 04-17-2023, 06:04 AM

Pete, as you know, I now own one of those Blue Birds- what a gorgeous piece. I am glad you found them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A8B296E4-DCD5-434E-901C-1B4E395FBB94.jpg (119.1 KB, 866 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 04-17-2023 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:01 AM
Vincent Hecksel

I would have to lean towards 1964 Topps Giant inscribed/signed by Roberto Clemente. Picked it up from Kevin Keating years ago so feel pretty good that signature is good. Never imagined the value would balloon to the present day levels.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:12 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Pete, as you know, I now own one of those Blue Birds- what a gorgeous piece. I am glad you found them!
me too!!!!! and thanks for helping me return to solvency!!!
Old 04-17-2023, 12:16 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Great question

My answer is simple. In 2009, I tried to convince my card "partner" to equally invest in a 1986 Fleer PSA 10 Jordan RC. Steve Hart had listed one on BBCX for $5,100. My buddy felt it was a bit beyond his reach. At the time, the entire amount was beyond mine as well. I then pivoted to a Jordan 9 by myself. Back then, 4SC had their annual 20% discount sale going on ANYTHING in their inventory without a cap. If memory serves me well, it was listed for approx $2,000. I picked it up for $1,600. Even below VCP at the time. It turned out to be a great buy, and I know at its peak, it topped out at $67K. A ridiculous run up. Today it is pushing $20K. Basically 12X in 13 years.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:22 AM

Default 1969-70 Topps Basketball

Picked up a complete 1969-70 Topps BB set on eBay around 4 years ago. Description claimed it had been sitting in the seller's dresser drawer since he was a teenager and collected them. $275 BIN price.

Cards came wrapped in a paper towel with rubber bands around them. The full set was there, including checklist (which had been checked off, which I find charming). Karim Abdul-Jabbar rookie graded out to an SGC 4. The rest are in a binder, mostly VG-E condition.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:10 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Man, so many. One that comes to mind is this 1960 Yaz that I bought raw on ebay for $100 maybe 5 years ago. Thought it looked super sharp.. and indeed it was, and came back an SGC 8 :

Old 04-18-2023, 08:27 AM
Justin

Every card I have ever bought, at least if you ask my wife. Because that's what I tell her. Ha

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2023, 08:33 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I picked this card up 4 months ago and went for a lot less than I and many other collectors thought.
Either we are all wrong and the market value is what I paid (and I paid it with a smile because it bought I would pay a lot more)
Or others say it and mistakes it for the 1921 Exhibit Ruth and thought this was a low grade low eye appeal of it when it was really the more rare but similiar looking (1921 has no border 1923 has border)

Regardless I was very happy to add it to my collection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1369.jpg (162.1 KB, 678 views)

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Pete Sycks

Although it's a hockey card I picked up a Gretzky PSA 6 Topps rookie for $200 for my PC around 2018. I popped it out and threw it in my safe and didn't think much of it. When the market went crazy around 2021 I looked and 6's were going for $2k so I figured "Why not send it back to PSA and get $1800?" I sent it back in and came back the same 6 and sold it a week later. Crazy that such a common card would go up 1000% in a couple years.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 05-19-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmuth View Post
When I started working on my 1967 Topps set, I bought several lots of commons off eBay. In one of those, was this Spezio error card. I didn't realize it was valuable until sometime after I added the cards to my set binder.

Speaking of 1967 Topps , I once came across a table at a very small local card show and me knowing a lot about the set since it was the first one I put together knew how hard it was to find some of the high number series cards. I already had these for me set I was building but I bought mike Shannon and norm cash cards for $2 each. I bought a total of 10 high number series for $20 total

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2023, 02:18 PM

I bought a lot of 3 lower condition M116 cards on Ebay around a dozen years ago. I was interested in two of the cards that I didn't have. The third, the Smith card, was going to be a duplicate. When I got them it took a few weeks to integrate the cards into my M116 collection. And when I came to the Smith to see if it was an upgrade I did a double-take, as it had a different team designation than my existing copy of Smith. I checked my reference materials and online and could not come up with any examples. I sent it to auction and it went for well over 200 times its individual cost.

It is still the only known Boston example.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m116smithf322.jpg (93.8 KB, 457 views)
Old 05-20-2023, 02:32 PM
Eric

Quote:

Do you remember where in Dearborn the show was?
Old 05-20-2023, 03:50 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default '59 Topps FB

My greatest "steal of a deal" was fairly recently. About the start of Covid I bought a complete raw set of Topps 1959 Football from Touchdown Treasures. It was billed as about half NM and half Nm-Mt. I had the bulk of the set PSA graded. Many low pop 9's. Many star 9's including Jim Brown (RIP). One 10, and a multitude of 8's, 8.5's. Within a year I had a top ten set on the Registry. Completely graded at almost 8.50 GPA, and I really did not have to invest too much $$$ for upgrades. The set easily values at $35K+. Maybe even $40K.
I have less than $10K into it. Almost 4X in 3 years. One of my greatest hits in an entire lifetime of collecting. Lucky.
Old 05-20-2023, 04:38 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

This is one of my all-time favorite cards, because it's a perfectly centered card from a set I adore, showing my beloved 'Tom Terrific' donning his monster-sized mitt, and the photograph makes you wonder, "What in high heck was going on at Shea the moment this picture was taken???????? I mean, he's doubled over in laughter, for cripe's sake!!!!!!"

I spent less than $3 on it and now Mr. Seaver sits ensconced in a PSA 9 slab.

1972seaverIA446PSA.jpg

Love it!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2023, 05:51 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Dearborn Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Detroit Collector View Post
Do you remember where in Dearborn the show was?
Eric, I believe the show was at Dearborn High.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:28 AM
Eric

Quote:
Eric, I believe the show was at Dearborn High.
thank you, I am from the area so just curious.
Old 05-22-2023, 09:11 AM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Detroit Collector View Post
thank you, I am from the area so just curious.
If it was a Jim Hawkins event....I think he used to regularly host them at the Hyatt (now/still? closed). I don't remember him setting up HS...just not his image. He did do some later shows at Miracle Mile on Telegraph in Bloomfield Hills.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This was bought for a little over 2k, approximately 4 yrs ago. An average deal at the time.
Most Cobbs bought that long ago and back are probably a great deal, if still owned today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206cobb.jpg (188.9 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-25-2023 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:53 PM
Jerry

I bought 10 successful Farming m101-4’s at a card show for 20.00 each. Dealer didn’t know what he had and I only vaguely knew myself at the time. They were all kinda rough but my hunch paid off for tune of about 3k
Old 05-25-2023, 02:38 PM

I was scrolling through ebay just over 5 years ago and ran into an "Old Yankees Schedule Lot, including Willie Mays Card". I thought it was weird to include a Willie Mays card with a Yankees lot, and noticed that the card included was a 1951 Bowman Willie Mays RC. The seller had it identified in the listing as a reprint included for free with the scheduling cards.

I was having trouble believing it was a reprint no matter how many times the seller told me it was because I had never seen a "reprint of a 51 bowman" with a print dot on it and this Mays RC clearly had one right on his name. Before I lost it to someone else who was curious, I went ahead and purchased the lot. I wasn't interested at all in the schedules so I was honest with the seller that I thought the Mays card may be real, so they were welcome to keep the rest of the lot.
They were adamant it was a reprint and they surprisingly sent me a refund minus shipping when they resold the schedules the next day...

When the card arrived a few days later, it was exactly what I thought and I still cannot believe to this day I got a Willie Mays RC for only the cost of the shipping!

Last edited by murphy8276; 05-25-2023 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 03:38 PM
Eric

wow, awesome story
1926 Star Player Candy Chick Hafey
1880-1930s Detroit Tigers
Travis Jackson 1925 W461 Exhibits or 1923 V89 William Paterson