NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Clint

Default Set up at a card show today.

Well a couple weeks ago I decided to try and sell a few of my lower end items for charity. I had a mix of memorabilia from photos, equipment, cards, and so on. Plus, it was from the three major sports. I also had two signed basketballs that were being raffled of our local college men's and women's teams. Ticket selling for the basketballs was going to be my main focus with the hopes of making a little off the other stuff.

I got set up by 7:30 and had already sold over $200 dollars worth of memorabilia before the 8 o'clock opening. Not expecting too much I considered the day a success already. The table was paid for and I had over $150 to donate.

People started trickling in of all ages, shapes, sizes and to my surprise colors. It was a great mix of people and they all seemed somewhat interested in what I had to offer. Little kids were given a card of a hofer from the early 80's. Adults were given the opportunity to try on gloves from the 30's and 40's.

Everyone seemed to be having a good time as the room bussled with people discussing cards, memorabilia and past conquests of the collecting world. I got to see collecting friends I hadn't seen in years and some I see every few weeks.

I'd like to say I sold out of everything but I didn't. I did however sell a majority of my items and made a nice little stash of cash for my charity. A few tickets were sold in the process as well. The extra bonus came in the purchases of a 1959 Topeka ribbon, a Wichita Aeros bank from their first year, and a trade for a letter jacket from my college.

To say that card shows are dead and the doom and gloom of our hobby is imminent is not what I observed. The show was busy and it was attended by all walks of life collecting new and old, cards and memorabilia. Maybe I just hit the right time and place but I'd like to think this is the way all card shows are supposed to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Topeka reds.jpg (73.2 KB, 410 views)
Old 02-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Al

Nice story Clint . I havnt done a show since the middle 90s and I miss it all the time. Nice to see some action back with young people!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 02-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Clint

Thanks Al. I really had a good time being on the other side of the table.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Dan Bretta

Nicely done, Clint! Cool ribbon too.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:50 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Great story Clint!...Thanks for sharing!...
Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Zach Close

Default Show

Clint really glad you got my bank I know it went to a great home. Really enjoy what I got from you
Take care zach
Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Clint

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachclose21 View Post
Clint really glad you got my bank I know it went to a great home. Really enjoy what I got from you
Take care zach
Thanks Zach. That was pretty cool how we basically ended up trading. I'll get those cards scanned for you later when I get the chance.

Last edited by ksfarmboy; 02-03-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:31 AM
Scott

that isn't the case here in CT. We have several "regular shows" and if u aren't a bigger dealer, u don't have much of a shot. Crowds are down, etc. Still, I set up at times w my small inventory, because I HAVE to. I have more fun at our large outdoor flea in Mansfield. I guess it depends too on the crowd and what u have

Still, a great reason for u to do the show and glad it worked
Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Card shows are on the way back, I think. There is nothing like having collectors together to buy-sell-trade-BS cards. I certainly missed that and wanted to revive it. The issue is that it is a hell of a lot of work and upfront money to run one. I would not do it myself. We [Anthony Nex, Jason Miller and me] plan to hold our third Southern California show on May 3rd. We are searching for a new venue, though, because the one we used for the first two shows, while terrific, was just too expensive for us to keep free admission and a table price point where we wanted it for the day. The alternative venues we are looking at are priced to allow us to keep the show running for as long as the current dealer and collector base wants it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Clint

Scott, thanks it is going for a good cause and that made selling and giving good deals to people that much more enjoyable. Plus people got to see things they don't normally run into. Most are used to seeing the cards but I tried to bring some unique but reasonably priced items.

Adam, I can see where running a show can get expensive. I remember as a kid going to the local show for 3 days and finding something new each day. Now it's just a one day show. Finding someone to buy table space for 3 days would get pretty tough here.