NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 07:23 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

What I really enjoy about Net54 is the education from the hobby, the cards, players and stories from fellow collectors. It should be a great escape from things like politics or a job. So this is too bad.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:08 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default move up the rankings

he had 8200 posts....i am at 4000 or so..so now he is no longer active i can move my way up the hit list...since he is not active
Old 09-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
+2

I'm not even sure what Barry was most upset about: What the politician said, or having a couple forum members remind us of what she said. In any case, I think it was an over-reaction, but whatever, it's his decision.
+3
Old 09-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
I'm leaving the board too.
Gonna go heat up some leftover pizza.
See you back here in a few minutes...
this one got an LOL out of me

edited to add, I'll miss Barry's posts..... always took notice and seems they were well written and insightful. I hope he decides to stay

Last edited by tonyo; 09-16-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:54 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Barry was a teacher also and knows a most important quality of a teacher is patience. That will work here - put into words what a person is doing that is against the condition that govern acceptable behavior. Stepping aside does not teach the one in need of guidance to better conduct.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:46 PM
Ken Wirt

Well, this just plain sucks. Mr. Sloate's knowledge and insight was of great help to me, when I began my journey into prewar card collecting. I'll miss that.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:20 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
Well, this just plain sucks. Mr. Sloate's knowledge and insight was of great help to me, when I began my journey into prewar card collecting. I'll miss that.
+1, one less member that always had something positive to contribute to our collecting community. I really hope you consider, Barry. I feel like there are a lot of us that seldom post, but love the positive contributions that you make to the board.

I've learned more from people like you, Ted Z, Pat R, Erik S, Luke L, etc. and will always be appreciative of the insight provided.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:36 PM
pete ullman

barry is/was a gentleman and a scholar...2 attributes seriously lacking from this hobby these days.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:41 PM
Michael S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
barry is/was a gentleman and a scholar...2 attributes seriously lacking from this hobby these days.
+1

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 09-16-2019, 07:44 PM
Rich v@n He$$

I didnt see it mentioned before, but this board has a GREAT function which allows you to ignore other members as you see fit. Of course, if someone else quotes that member, you'll still see it; but it's still pretty effective and very satisfying. I think I only have like 2 members on ignore....and wouldn't you know....well, no regrets on my side.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
I didnt see it mentioned before, but this board has a GREAT function which allows you to ignore other members as you see fit.
Is this serious? If so, I would so appreciate your sharing how to do that. There is now one less (former) member I would like to ignore, but it is a GREAT function that I would like to put to use. Thanks in advance
Old 09-16-2019, 08:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Is this serious? If so, I would so appreciate your sharing how to do that. There is now one less (former) member I would like to ignore, but it is a GREAT function that I would like to put to use. Thanks in advance
User CP
Edit ignore list

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:12 PM
Ben North

Quote:
There is the line on every page with the logout link. Click on User CP on the left side of the page in that same blue line.

Then scroll down the left side till you see the Edit Ignore list. Then click on it and add whoevers posts you never want to see again.
Jam.es Braci.liano

Or click their user name profile, click user lists, click add to ignore list.

Last edited by Jim65; 09-16-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Leon
peasant/forum owner

You can ignore everyone except the 3 moderators, (including me)

Quote:
Old 09-16-2019, 08:15 PM

Awesome guys, thanks! I appreciate that. And Leon, I wasn’t going to try to ignore your posts - after all, you post cards and that’s what it’s all about!
Old 09-16-2019, 08:29 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
User CP
Edit ignore list
Alternatively, click on the user’s name, View Public Profile, User Lists, Add to Ignore List.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:54 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I was wondering why it wasn't letting me ignore you. Damn...

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 09-16-2019, 10:58 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Consolidation of Ignorant Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
I didnt see it mentioned before, but this board has a GREAT function which allows you to ignore other members as you see fit. Of course, if someone else quotes that member, you'll still see it; but it's still pretty effective and very satisfying. I think I only have like 2 members on ignore....and wouldn't you know....well, no regrets on my side.
Quote:
Quote:
User CP
Edit ignore list
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
There is the line on every page with the logout link. Click on User CP on the left side of the page in that same blue line.

Then scroll down the left side till you see the Edit Ignore list. Then click on it and add whoevers posts you never want to see again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Or click their user name profile, click user lists, click add to ignore list.
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome guys, thanks! I appreciate that. And Leon, I wasn’t going to try to ignore your posts - after all, you post cards and that’s what it’s all about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Alternatively, click on the user’s name, View Public Profile, User Lists, Add to Ignore List.
A post designed to be ignored.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:18 PM
Bob.T*th

Default Ignore function

My wife ignores me and she didn’t have to go through any of that. It’s a natural gift.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:55 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I read the post over in the water cooler section, and I really don't see whatever you saw to make you want to leave forever. I remember that day like it was yesterday. A lot of Americans lost their lives on that fateful day. I hear some conspiracy theorists say that it was our own government that caused 9/11. That angers me to no end. People LOST THEIR LIVES. I too, am angered by the phrase "Some People Did Something". It lessens and cheapens the value of the thousands of lives that were lost that day. I am sorry to see you go, but don't let your anger about politics affect you.
Don't you sort of answer your own question here though? If a phrase uttered by a politician is so inflammatory that its mere mention elicits such a strong reaction in people, as this one obviously does, then surely it would be better for the forum if people weren't posting it?

No politics here for me, thanks.

Last edited by seanofjapan; 09-17-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:55 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Don't you sort of answer your own question here though? If a phrase uttered by a politician is so inflammatory that its mere mention elicits such a strong reaction in people, as this one obviously does, then surely it would be better for the forum if people weren't posting it?

No politics here for me, thanks.
Any comment in any section/thread of this forum could be "inflammatory" to the right person.

I agree with a previous poster that if politics is a known trigger to someone, why would they choose to read a thread about 9/11, regardless of how well-written the first post in the thread was?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 09-17-2019, 07:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For the record David's banishment is a suspension only. He will be allowed back in the not distant future. I am not so sure his comments were meant to be political. (actually, I don't think they were, now, looking back on them.)
Old 09-17-2019, 08:50 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default I'm Done with Net54

It's not what happens to you, it's how you take it. Idiots in this life have been around for a while, it's not like they suddenly appeared only with the advent of online baseball card forums. Sounds to me like whoever left would have been better served by having a drink and ignoring whatever offense he could not get by. This is a fabulous place to talk about cards, and the benefits here far outweigh the frustrations, IMO.

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-17-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
For the record David's banishment is a suspension only. He will be allowed back in the not distant future. I am not so sure his comments were meant to be political. (actually, I don't think they were, now, looking back on them.)
Sorry, I disagree. But best wishes to Mr. Sloate, whatever he decides.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. David will be #1 on my ignored user list.

Ryan Hotchkiss
Old 09-17-2019, 01:39 PM
Jeff R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
It's not what happens to you, it's how you take it. Idiots in this life have been around for a while, it's not like they suddenly appeared only with the advent of online baseball card forums. Sounds to me like whoever left would have been better served by having a drink and ignoring whatever offense he could not get by. This is a fabulous place to talk about cards, and the benefits here far outweigh the frustrations, IMO.
I understand how important Barry is and has been to many collectors. I’ve read so much of what he’s had to share since joining Net54 about five years ago. Losing his knowledge and dedication to the forum is heart breaking. With all that said, I agree with this post.
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 09-17-2019, 01:47 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
A post designed to be ignored.
Thanks Frank! I had ignored all the users you listed so I didn't see the collective responses on how to ignore someone. Ignorance is bliss!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 09-17-2019, 02:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Thanks Frank! I had ignored all the users you listed so I didn't see the collective responses on how to ignore someone. Ignorance is bliss!
You'd be much better off ignoring Frank.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
You'd be much better off ignoring Frank.
Some folks have since Eddie Gaedel walked.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:30 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Some folks have since Eddie Gaedel walked.
First Barry Sloate and now Eddie Gaedel? Who's the next guy to walk???
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-17-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:00 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Eddie was a little annoying.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 09-17-2019, 04:24 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default I Agree...

Quote:
....with everything ullmandds said. Barry was great to deal with in the old days when his set sale and auction catalogs arrived in the mail box. His knowledge is very broad and he shares it freely. I hope Barry will reconsider his leaving Net54. If your reading this Barry...you will be missed in my opinion.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:51 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbspikedme View Post
eddie was a little annoying.

ignore this one, please

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 09-17-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:53 PM

I strongly agree with the last two posts!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-17-2019, 06:03 PM

Maybe we can all find a way to share our opinions and still get along?

images3MDKKD4F.jpg

Old 09-17-2019, 06:12 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
ignore this one, please
Wait, why ignore me? What did I do?

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 09-17-2019, 06:26 PM
Ja@ck Win.ston

Please don't leave the board.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:37 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Sorry to see you go, barry...you’re as good a guy as anyone ive met in this hobby!
Agree Pete, Barry's solid...
Old 09-17-2019, 07:04 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsmithnocure View Post
Why do people want to announce that they are leaving? Isn’t it really easy just to delete your account or just never long on and/or visit this site again?
right...we get the 'i am leaving the hobby' posts or 'leaving net 54'

bobby always says hes about to leave the hobby so not sure if thats a category..
Old 09-17-2019, 07:07 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
right...we get the 'i am leaving the hobby' posts or 'leaving net 54'

bobby always says hes about to leave the hobby so not sure if thats a category..
That's because he is always giving away his PSA graded cards.

It does suck to lose a good member and then get a bad one back.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den*nis O*Brien View Post
....with everything ullmandds said. Barry was great to deal with in the old days when his set sale and auction catalogs arrived in the mail box. His knowledge is very broad and he shares it freely. I hope Barry will reconsider his leaving Net54. If your reading this Barry...you will be missed in my opinion.
+1
Old 09-18-2019, 06:30 AM
Brendan Mullen

HAHAHAHAHA!!
Old 09-18-2019, 10:23 AM

Default Can't resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post

HAHAHAHAHA!!
Old 09-18-2019, 11:05 AM
Banned

it’s encouraging that barry is reading the board on a daily basis. hopefully that means he will change his mind and come back.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:34 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
it’s encouraging that barry is reading the board on a daily basis. hopefully that means he will change his mind and come back.
well if he doesnt i am one more post closer to catching him on the all time list..
Old 09-18-2019, 03:40 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
well if he doesnt i am one more post closer to catching him on the all time list..
Seems to be pretty important to you Jake?
Old 09-18-2019, 07:21 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Any comment in any section/thread of this forum could be "inflammatory" to the right person.

I agree with a previous poster that if politics is a known trigger to someone, why would they choose to read a thread about 9/11, regardless of how well-written the first post in the thread was?
Er...is there anyone out there these days for whom politics is not a known trigger?

I totally agree that leaving the forum is an over-reaction, but I also think posts about an inflammatory political comment like that should be avoided like the plague on a forum like this.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:28 PM
Mike Biggans

Quote:
Er...is there anyone out there these days for whom politics is not a known trigger?

I totally agree that leaving the forum is an over-reaction, but I also think posts about an inflammatory political comment like that should be avoided like the plague on a forum like this.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2019, 07:49 AM
Kyle May

Quote:

Regardless of if there is or isn't, would it not be smart to avoid a 9/11 thread knowing your panties could get in a twist?

I agree with Leon that the comment that started this isn't political, and directly pertained to the topic of 9/11 itself. If an individual views 9/11 as political, and is triggered by politics to the point of potentially leaving a sports card forum, is it not on them to avoid that thread and not click on it? We have a massive societal crisis with a lack of accountability, especially self-accountability. It's on David not to post anything political - which it has since been deemed he didn't - and it's on Barry not to dive into the thread knowing it's a potential trigger.

To me, that's what all of this boils down to. We all loves this hobby and discussing this hobby. 99% of the forum is about this hobby. There are 2 sections that are a bit more OT, and if your focus is strictly hobby-related discussions, it's probably best to avoid the 1% of this forum that is OT.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Closed Thread