NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Mark Peavey

Default Newbie needing info

Been collecting for a long time, but just now getting interested in autographs. Anyway, I searched the archives and didn't really find the info I need. So, if this is an old topic, I apologize.

Are the modern card autographs of deadball era players considered legitimate by autograph experts? I'm referring to the Legendary Cuts, Limited Cuts, Signature Cuts, etc. Can I buy them and feel certain they are authentic? I'm interested in players such as Doc White, Davy Jones, Heinie Wagner.

Mark
Old 04-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Yeah, I wouldn't have a concern about cuts coming from major brands... That said, I'd say to most vintage collectors, stuffing the cuts into a modern card is the least desirable of all the avenues to own a vintage sig... Most autograph collectors would prefer the original document... Ball, Check, letter, postcard, contract, tc etc...

You lose a lot of the historical ambiance of an auto from 1940 when you shove it inside a 2012 card membrane... The signature loses all it's context.

So, from an authenticity standpoint, you're most likely fine... It's still not something I'd go for

Last edited by phikappapsi; 04-22-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Richard Simon

I would have definite concerns about those cards.
I have seen a number of forgeries on those cards.
Go to my web page - www.richardsimonsports.com/hofauto2.htm and scroll down on the page, you will see some examples of bogus autographs on these modern day cards. I have written extensively about this problem and illustrated what I wrote.
Some of these companies used to buy from reputable dealers but for some reason, probably financial, they started to spread their buying around. And with the know nothings that worke for those companies, they wound up buying forgeries. I have also seen ghost signed (wife ghost signed mostly) autographs on some of those cards.
I agree with Phik in his comments about the look of the cards, the look of a vintage autograph on those modern cards is not an attractive one IMHO.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-22-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I would have definite concerns about those cards.
I have seen a number of forgeries on those cards.
Go to my web page - www.richardsimonsports.com/hofauto2.htm and scroll down on the page, you will see some examples of bogus autographs on these modern day cards. I have written extensively about this problem and illustrated what I wrote.
Some of these companies used to buy from reputable dealers but for some reason, probably financial, they started to spread their buying around. And with the know nothings that worke for those companies, they wound up buying forgeries. I have also seen ghost signed (wife ghost signed mostly) autographs on some of those cards.
I agree with Phik in his comments about the look of the cards, the look of a vintage autograph on those modern cards is not an attractive one IMHO.
Ditto. Stay away from those cards and buy undamaged vintage items from reputable dealers such as Richard. To my knowledge, serious collectors tend to avoid manufactured cut cards.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Banned

The answer is no you cannot buy them and feel safe that they are authentic.

They tend to buy documents on the cheap to cut up and put on the cards.
You get what they pay for.

And the buyer is usually charged way more than what they are worth (if they are real) based on the 1/1 nonsense that the seller tries to convince people of.

From Upper Deck.

Do these look good?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobb.jpg (40.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg cobb2.jpg (51.0 KB, 106 views)
Old 04-22-2012, 05:52 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
The answer is no you cannot buy them and feel safe that they are authentic.

They tend to buy documents on the cheap to cut up and put on the cards.
You get what they pay for.

And the buyer is usually charged way more than what they are worth (if they are real) based on the 1/1 nonsense that the seller tries to convince people of.

From Upper Deck.

Do these look good?
And there's your answer
Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Richard Simon

I have a very large number of people on my mailing list who are autograph collectors. I get want lists from them regularly. Never once has anyone of them asked me for one of those type of cards.

Those cards are for gamblers, not serious collectors. You buy it at some ridiculous price and hope you can find someone stupid enough to pay you more for it. It is called the greater fool theory.

ps. thanks for the plug Steve, the check is in the mail .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-22-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Mark Peavey

Default Autographs

Thanks for the responses. That was about what I expected. Can anyone recommend legitimate dealers who might have what I am looking for? I have checked Richard's website, and although he has an impressive list of autographs, I didn't see any deadball era players.

Mark