NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Ed Woelfle

Default Most OVERGRADED Card

OK, I don't recall seeing a post on your most overgraded card(s) even though we all have them.

This isn't mine, but I wanted to share it - now the seller is ridiculous enough with the VCP image scan that just happens to cut off at May with the chart showing upward trend and the $1300+ average price. What he doesn't show are the last two prices this year tanking and him getting this card on 12/12 for $787! (a good bet he doesn't even have it in his posession yet which is another issue) .. but look at that card...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-11-T206-Swe...item483e29f39f

The "PSA Sucks" poster would love this! This is one of the worst 5's I have ever seen - obvious front crease, faded back, stains - and no qualifier..??? This is what I was asking about with the ridiculous overgrading and inconsistency of PSA cards - especially lately! I've always heard the chatter about them grading higher the more you spend with them - who knows if that's true or the case here, but what the hell were they thinking when they slapped a "5" on this card..?

Last edited by Edwolf1963; 12-16-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

I see what you mean.

As far as PSA-5's go, I believe this N300 Mayo is far worse

Old 12-17-2010, 03:59 AM
Jim R

classic case of buying a number instead of buying the card. That is a 3 and probably worth about 300 maybe 400 on a good day.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:37 AM

i agree and i have always wondered if psa gives grades higher to people who spend alot of money with them.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default neat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post
I see what you mean.

As far as PSA-5's go, I believe this N300 Mayo is far worse

The elusive N300 Mini
Old 12-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Wow. That Shindle is unbelievable. Does PSA have people grading N300s who have never seen one before?
Old 12-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd10 View Post
i agree and i have always wondered if psa gives grades higher to people who spend alot of money with them.
I've often wondered this also. Either that or the graders over there come to work with some massive hang-overs on occasion ?

Clayton
Old 12-17-2010, 11:50 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Names changed to protect the marginally innocent.

A well-known dealer sold a raw 1952 topps card to a collector putting together a high grade set which he eventually finished...and he spent a lot of $ with well-known dealer.

Collector, who is not well known, sends card to unnamed grading company.

Unnamed grading company sends it back as trimmed.

Collector approaches well-known dealer who happens to spend a lot of money with grading company. He does this at a large show where grading company is also set up.

WKDealer tells collector...just wait a minute, I'll take care of this.

Well-known dealer comes back and explains how grading company has made an honest mistake. Shortly thereafter, collector gets the card back in a shiny 7 slab. Because, heck, honest mistakes happen.

Probably the only time this has ever happened, though.

Last edited by bbcard1; 12-17-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:11 PM

There needs to be a governing body over these grading company to have the same standards with a collector that sends in a 10,000 cards a year or 5 cards a year. I have seen many cards and thought what the #%$# where the graders thinking just like that mayo its been trimmed.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Bruce Babcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
Wow. That Shindle is unbelievable. Does PSA have people grading N300s who have never seen one before?
Apparently, yes. I think they missed the "evidence of trimming" on this one.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Brian T.

Quote:
There needs to be a governing body over these grading company to have the same standards with a collector that sends in a 10,000 cards a year or 5 cards a year. I have seen many cards and thought what the #%$# where the graders thinking just like that mayo its been trimmed.
I can't see a "governing body" being the answer. I think it comes down to "if enough people get frustrated enough with a product, there will cease to be a demand for it and a company will either have to change or go out of business."
Old 12-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Quote:
democrat?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:48 AM
R Dixon

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
democrat?
Good one
Old 12-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
democrat?
Now accepting applications for TPG "czar."
Old 12-18-2010, 11:17 AM

Saw that posting too, and also noticed that they recently bought the card for ~$200 less. Looks like they're trying to flip it for a profit -- buy low cause of the visual deficiencies (crease across his face, blue spots on the back) but sell high cause of the generous grade. The seller is either doing it himself or on behalf of a consignment. It's still a good price for the grade, so probably some registry-builder will grab it.

I agree it's an overgrade -- a 5 should not have a crease across the main part of the front picture. But the strong bold colors and solid corners make it too good to be a 3. I'd have expected a 4, give or take a half-grade.

PSA's website describes that the submitter's identity is separated from the card so that the grader doesn't know anything about the submitter. The story that you describe, though, sounds like the dealer walked over to the grading company's table at the same convention and "worked something out" in person. Super fishy, and certainly cause for concern since it compromises the integrity of their product -- their grading reliability and consistency.

side note about the Mayo shown above -- TPG holders have an inner frame, but why is the inner frame shown on that card so much larger than the card itself? is that typical for that set? cause I recently saw a PSA-holdered card where the holder's inner frame was so grossly mismatched to the card and I therefore passed on bidding (it was ebay), concerned that the holder was fibbed.

Thanks,
--S
Old 12-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Jim D

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
I've often wondered this also. Either that or the graders over there come to work with some massive hang-overs on occasion ?

Clayton

Can't be hung over if you haven't stopped drinking! Maybe PSA has a beer fridge!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Ed Woelfle

Default Overgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunsteig View Post
The story that you describe, though, sounds like the dealer walked over to the grading company's table at the same convention and "worked something out" in person. Super fishy, and certainly cause for concern since it compromises the integrity of their product -- their grading reliability and consistency.
Hello - not suggesting this in my original post - I don't know this to be true, hear often enough (.. and it's anecdotal at best) of the perception to the amount of business you send them and more favorable grades. I don't know that it was walked over from a show/convention buy? Through submissions they know who sends what and how much - whether graders know this is a matter of opinion I guess?

Regardless, what struck me about this was the ridiculous overgrade IMO ~ rounded corners, worn edges, obvious crease, spots and significant fading on the back. I've seen many of these from PSA, especially of late and question the grade and consistency. I just couldn't see SGC going better than a 30 on this.

On top of that, the way in which it's being tee'd up - using cut off scans from VCP images on average value, up to May '10 then leaving off the more recent lower sales including this buy at $200 less than BIN. Also, the fact that it was relisted a few days after sale which unless it was sent 1 day overnight would have been hard to do card-in-hand.

Over-hype, over-grade .. bad taste in the mouth.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

This eBay seller deserves a lot of credit for pointing out in his listing the stamp/mark on the back of the card, which somehow the PSA grader missed. Assuming this is how the holder left PSA headquarters, it must have been Ray Charles' first day on the job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laj-1.jpg (24.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg lajj-2.jpg (27.5 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by Rob D.; 12-20-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

i wonder too!
i have a nice folder if interested let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post

Clayton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg howard_front.jpg (77.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg howard_back.jpg (76.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

no rob,
stevie wonder got this one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
This eBay seller deserves a lot of credit for pointing out in his listing the stamp/mark on the back of the card, which somehow the PSA grader missed. Assuming this is how the holder left PSA headquarters, it must have been Ray Charles' first day on the job.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Ross B.

Whenever I see a card that looks so obviously over-graded, it makes me wonder if the holder has been cracked and a different card has been inserted. Has anyone ever seen a BGS/BVG holder that has been credibly cracked and resealed? I have read that there have been a number of examples of this with PSA holders, and at least one (not as convincing) attempt with an SGC slab.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

great point texasleauger!!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

great point texasleauger!! and let's keep this in mind, and i hate this one too, GRADING IS SUBJECTIVE!!