NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2018, 12:37 PM
Tom Boblitt

Default Absurd PWCC Shipping Cost........BEWARE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-L40-Mu...p2047675.l2557

As if the shilling isn't enough.....I won an L40 Amherst Baseball leather on ebay last night. It said $15.00 shipping, so I should have emailed them but their Shipping matrix shows $4 for a single item won between $0-$250. I emailed to confirm after winning and was told that it fell in the oversize clause of their shipping. The leather is 2-9/16 by 3-9/16, exactly 1/16 by 1/16 larger than a standard sized card. It comes with an envelope that it came in which is maybe 1/16 larger than that as it fits snugly inside.

I was informed by Bobby Rittenhouse of PWCC that the $15.00 was, indeed, a good shipping charge for the item. Should have checked with them first because didn't think they would try to go with the absurd shipping. SOOOOO.....be sure you look very closely as they do not really understand the true meaning of the word oversized. I'll be expecting this item to be shipped in the sturdiest of containers, double-boxed due to the extreme fragility, in the timeliest of manners.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Finally. A thread that will grow legs .
Old 05-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Tom Boblitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
haha. I'll be flamed but it is ridiculous. Just trying to help you out with your clicks, Leon...........

Last edited by autograf; 05-11-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Indeed. Far more interesting than a major hobby figure found by a federal jury to have committed market manipulation.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Tom Boblitt

Hey....we can walk and chew gum both around here.........well, maybe better rethink that one.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:54 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

The shipping price was clearly listed. You should have only bid if you were willing to pay the published shipping cost.

However, as an eBay seller who values customer service I would have offered you a reduced shipping cost if in fact the actual shipping costs were going to be significantly lower than what I charged you.

Last edited by peterose4hof; 05-11-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:16 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post
The shipping price was clearly listed. You should have only bid if you were willing to pay the published shipping cost.

However, as an eBay seller who values customer service I would have offered you a reduced shipping cost if in fact the actual shipping costs were going to be significantly lower than what I charged you.
Sounds right on both accounts.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:42 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post

Yep.

Listed or not, $11 extra for 1/16 x 1/16 larger is a bad way to run your business IMO.

Having gotten shipments from them before, they are not spending 11 bucks extra to ship Tom's item, I can promise you that.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 05-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Howard Chasser

Default How about HERITAGE!!

I was charged $30 Shipping for 1 PSA graded standard size card!!
Old 05-11-2018, 01:56 PM

Maybe I should add a $15 buying cost to my eBay profile and then charge sellers $15 for letting me bid and win their items. Then I'll just point to my profile if they complain.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:08 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
What was the value of the card?
James
Old 05-11-2018, 02:09 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
What was the value of the card?
James
Agreed...if it was a $5,000 card, that is actually cheap.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:19 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post

As if the shilling isn't enough.....I won an L40 Amherst Baseball leather on ebay last night. It said $15.00 shipping, so I should have emailed them but their Shipping matrix shows $4 for a single item won between $0-$250. I emailed to confirm after winning and was told that it fell in the oversize clause of their shipping. The leather is 2-9/16 by 3-9/16, exactly 1/16 by 1/16 larger than a standard sized card. It comes with an envelope that it came in which is maybe 1/16 larger than that as it fits snugly inside.

I was informed by Bobby Rittenhouse of PWCC that the $15.00 was, indeed, a good shipping charge for the item. Should have checked with them first because didn't think they would try to go with the absurd shipping. SOOOOO.....be sure you look very closely as they do not really understand the true meaning of the word oversized. I'll be expecting this item to be shipped in the sturdiest of containers, double-boxed due to the extreme fragility, in the timeliest of manners.
I started a post here about their shipping fees but I was wrong when I thought they increased the higher the bids went.
Regardless, I still find their shipping fees excessive, especially paying the exchange rate on them, but I thought you guys stateside paid a lot less than what we do up here.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252091

Like you'll see in the above post, a lot of their fees don't make any sense, at least in my opinion.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:42 PM

I have paid $75.00 shipping to PWCC for a single, T206 card in a standard PSA flip. But, the shipping cost was clearly stated and i just considered it part of the price and bid accordingly. In other words, I knew what I was getting into. PWCC's shipping is silly expensive/high, but if I see a T206 Matty White Cap PSA 6.5 I must have, let alone thus T213 that cost me $25 in shipping, then I will pay the shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T213-1 Clyde Engle- Back.jpg (68.1 KB, 831 views)
Old 05-11-2018, 02:54 PM
Tom Boblitt

$17 Card.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:30 PM

I agree it’s annoying (ok wrong) to pay almost as much in shipping as you did for the card, and I validate that PWCC’s shipping is wicked high and customer service may dictate that they give breaks to an angry customer when something is an inch large. All I am saying is that it’s tough to get behind a rant about how much shipping someone paid when shipping costs are clearly disclosed; and Tom, in your case, I don’t know if shipping was disclosed, my comment is general in nature.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 05-11-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:51 PM
larrydavidfan33

The auction houses don't shill ....
It's the submitter of the item doing it from home
Quote:

Old 05-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
agreed...if it was a $5,000 card, that is actually cheap.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:45 AM
Banned

My guess is that you are paying for insurance on the items and not just packaging and shipping.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:10 AM
Eric
Eric

Absurd? Absolutely
Spelled out for all to see? Yes
Surprises? No
Frustration? Yes
Answer? If you don’t like it don’t bid or contact them before the auction ends.
Eric Recker
Old 05-13-2018, 06:45 AM
Cha.rles He.nry

When bidders see a high shipping charge for a single item like that, a lot will dismiss the auction altogether and the item will be won cheaper than if the shipping charge was say $4.00. Works in the buyers favor more times than not; at least in my experiences with items that have an excessive shiipping charge.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:55 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
What about Christies! They charged me $2300 shipping on a small felt pennant!

(Not true, but I just want to win this one for a change.)
Old 05-13-2018, 08:39 AM
David Peck

When you use the term BEWARE in all caps it leads me to believe that someone is trying to do something to harm you and they weren't clear about their intent.

The shipping on all items is posted and they have a matrix below the listing that clearly states the potential shipping charges based on size and insurance on the final selling price.

PWCC does a tremendous job on their shipping. They use high quality materials and the item is packed extremely well. For a high volume seller to offer such quality shipping is one of the reasons they have such a large customer base. Compare their packaging for a few bucks more vs. Probstein and it isn't even close.

You got what you paid for. I have no idea what this item should have sold for but as was pointed it out it is very common for bidders to factor in the total cost and base their bid on it. Kind of like going out to dinner and realizing there are taxes and gratuity not included on the menu prices.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 05-13-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:30 PM
Tom Boblitt

To be fair................

I just received a $7.00 credit from PWCC.

"With the envelope and COA together the size is larger than a normal sized card. We have however as a one time courtesy given you a partial refund on your shipping. Thank you very much for participating in our auction."

I'm still paying $8.00 for shipping but either through this forum or whatever force of nature, they [kind of] did the right thing. Just wanted to be sure they got their due.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:25 PM

Last edited by oldsportscards; 05-14-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:35 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
To be fair................

I just received a $7.00 credit from PWCC.

"With the envelope and COA together the size is larger than a normal sized card. We have however as a one time courtesy given you a partial refund on your shipping. Thank you very much for participating in our auction."

I'm still paying $8.00 for shipping but either through this forum or whatever force of nature, they [kind of] did the right thing. Just wanted to be sure they got their due.
That'd be my guess.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:17 PM

Let me say this, I don't believe, at least in PWCC's case that shipping is one of the reasons that makes them one of the top sellers. Proper shipping goes the sale, any self respecting seller with tell you that. And I don't remember them always charging high shipping costs, they were pretty reasonable at one time. The quality of the items that they auction off is the main reason anyone follows them. I bought 3 Triple Folders from them a while ago and they wanted charge me 45 dollars. After contacting them they reduced the cost to 20. It's overkill, no doubt about it.

Jim
Old 05-14-2018, 11:35 PM
Rob

Default Shipping cost

I like PWCC. Why can't they consolidate shipping? A normal ebay seller would. That said, love these 2 new ones even if I paid way too much for shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34goudeyweiland928.jpg (74.2 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg 34goudeystripp929.jpg (55.3 KB, 418 views)
Old 05-15-2018, 12:09 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxandcubbies View Post
Let me say this, I don't believe, at least in PWCC's case that shipping is one of the reasons that makes them one of the top sellers. Proper shipping goes the sale, any self respecting seller with tell you that. And I don't remember them always charging high shipping costs, they were pretty reasonable at one time. The quality of the items that they auction off is the main reason anyone follows them. I bought 3 Triple Folders from them a while ago and they wanted charge me 45 dollars. After contacting them they reduced the cost to 20. It's overkill, no doubt about it.

Jim
Won a couple of nice items in PWCC's last auction and was so relieved that, when paying my invoice, there was no 20% vig and no Fl sales tax attached. I didn't even check the shipping charge.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:29 AM
David Peck

Quote:

Jim

So you think if we were reading stories of buyers have cards arrive that are damaged it wouldn't hurt their sales?

They understand the transaction process and it involves making sure the product makes it to its final destination in the condition it was listed in.

Common sense business practice here.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:34 AM

Understood, but there is a reasonable cost that can be associated with the sale with regard to shipping. I've bought thousands of cards on ebay over the years and maybe had 3 or 4 times when a card arrived damaged. Those were from cards thrown in a paper mailer with no protection at all. Hey, you don't mind paying 50 or 100 dollars for shipping on your cards, then by all means be my guest. As for me, I believe there's always a happy medium.

Jim
Old 05-15-2018, 09:04 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Understood, but there is a reasonable cost that can be associated with the sale with regard to shipping. I've bought thousands of cards on ebay over the years and maybe had 3 or 4 times when a card arrived damaged. Those were from cards thrown in a paper mailer with no protection at all. Hey, you don't mind paying 50 or 100 dollars for shipping on your cards, then by all means be my guest. As for me, I believe there's always a happy medium.

Jim

I have never purchased a card that would require such a fee as they insure the cards shipped. That said if I bought a card for 20k or 50k I wouldn't blink at paying that fee to feel confident it was coming in the condition I purchased it.

One of the major issues with collectibles is many are low population and aren't exactly replaceable at the snap of a finger. PWCC packaging and shipping takes all concern out of the equation. I think everyone has opened their mailbox with excitement to get their recent purchase and looked at the package and said "I can't believe this motherF+++++ shipped it this way!!" to themselves. Most of the time even with awful packaging the card arrives in fine condition and you move on. But what if it doesn't? The transaction went from exciting to stressful to potentially infuriating.

If I am running a business I am taking the route of dramatically higher quality shipping supplies and packing and passing it on to the customer. The first time I purchased a card from PWCC I paid $8 for shipping and thought it seemed steep. As soon as I got it in hand I was thrilled to pay it.

So many consumer business's spend a ton of money on packaging because it helps create a brand. Everything PWCC does from their listings on EBAY to their shipping to their advertising to their graphs and charts are done to build their brand. Everything is high quality.

I have never consigned a card but after dealing with both PWCC and Probstein it wouldn't even take a second of thought to make my decision and the dramatically better packaging is one of the factors in this.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:42 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
I have never purchased a card that would require such a fee as they insure the cards shipped. That said if I bought a card for 20k or 50k I wouldn't blink at paying that fee to feel confident it was coming in the condition I purchased it.
Nor would most people who had that kind of money to spend on cards.

My problem with their shipping, and others is, it doesn't make much sense paying more or equal amounts for shipping than what you paid for the card.

I was glad to read the OP got a rebate. I asked once, after winning a $20 card from them if there was anything they could do with the shipping, but all I got was a sorry, those are our fees.

I knew the cost going in so it's no ones fault but mine, but after that transaction, and others, I quickly started looking around a little more carefully/patiently and found many others out there who don't charge near what they charge, and that was before they raised their current shipping fees.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM

I agree with Irv.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:55 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Nor would most people who had that kind of money to spend on cards.

My problem with their shipping, and others is, it doesn't make much sense paying more or equal amounts for shipping than what you paid for the card.

I was glad to read the OP got a rebate. I asked once, after winning a $20 card from them if there was anything they could do with the shipping, but all I got was a sorry, those are our fees.

I knew the cost going in so it's no ones fault but mine, but after that transaction, and others, I quickly started looking around a little more carefully/patiently and found many others out there who don't charge near what they charge, and that was before they raised their current shipping fees.
+1. I won't pay $35 shipping on a $35 card. It limits me to purchasing four figure cards (or close to it) at minimum.

Their fees were not always that high. It just sticks with me that it's a bit of a cash grab.

The good is their shipping is quick. The bad is if you win another item the next day, it's another full shipping charge.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 05-15-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
+1. I won't pay $35 shipping on a $35 card. It limits me to purchasing four figure cards (or close to it) at minimum.

Their fees were not always that high. It just sticks with me that it's a bit of a cash grab.

The good is their shipping is quick. The bad is if you win another item the next day, it's another full shipping charge.
There are too many other sellers on Ebay other than the big two to be gouged on shipping. Period.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:16 PM
David Peck

Who is charging $35 on a $35 card?

My last purchase through PWCC was a $45 card and the shipping was $4.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:15 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post

I have bought cards from PWCC before and waited to pay because there is something else ending a day or two later that I also want. They have always combined shipping. If you win a card and pay that day then a day or two later win another one that won't combine because the first one is already packed and probably shipped.
James
Old 05-15-2018, 08:42 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Who is charging $35 on a $35 card?

My last purchase through PWCC was a $45 card and the shipping was $4.
Close enough, and in case it shows something different stateside, here it is copied.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-...a81&rmvSB=true

Condition:--
Ended: Mar 12, 2018 , 9:37PM
Winning bid:US $42.57
[ 13 bids ]
Shipping: $35.00 UPS Worldwide Saver
Item location:Lake Oswego, Oregon, United States
Seller:
pwcc_auctions (149593 ) | Seller's other items

Last edited by irv; 05-15-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:46 PM
David Peck

I see from the listing.

$6.00 Standard Shipping

What am I missing? Did the card ship out of the country?

Last edited by Dpeck100; 05-15-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I see from the listing.

$6.00 Standard Shipping

Irv (Dale) is in Canada.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-15-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:50 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Irv is in Canada.

So the issue is international shipping charges. Does PWCC use the Global Shipping Program, first class with tracking, or is it a customs issue?
Old 05-15-2018, 08:51 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I see from the listing.

$6.00 Standard Shipping

The prices I see, and likely what most CDN's see as well. Thought it might be different stateside but previous threads about their shipping fees, nothing was mentioned.

In this thread I started, I listed some other prices I seen and wondered why shipping was all over the place? (post#9)
Old 05-15-2018, 08:53 PM
David Peck

Quote:
The prices I see, and likely what most CDN's see as well. Thought it might be different stateside but previous threads about their shipping fees, nothing was mentioned.

In this thread I started, I listed some other prices I seen and wondered why shipping was all over the place? (post#9)

I can't speak for PWCC but everything I have read is shipping charges for cards and especially cards of value that are declared have exploded going to Canada.

Stinks for Canadian collectors.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:54 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
So the issue is international shipping charges. Does PWCC use the Global Shipping Program, first class with tracking, or is it a customs issue?
Global is actually cheaper, which is shocking! I can still find dealers stateside who charge $3.00 dollars for shipping.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:56 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Global is actually cheaper, which is shocking! I can still find dealers stateside who charge $3.00 dollars for shipping.
They are not insuring cards and sending them with tracking. Totally different ball game and they most certainly aren't putting the value on the customs form at that price.

Complicated issue in reality.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
They are not insuring cards and sending them with tracking. Totally different ball game and they most certainly aren't putting the value on the customs form at that price.

The last time I tried to ship something insured to Canada it was ridiculously expensive and there were just no good options.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:03 PM
David Peck

PWCC is selling other people's cards. They can't take the risk of an item being sent internationally and some scammer saying they didn't get it.

This has happened to so many collectors over the years. They must send with protection for the seller and unfortunately it costs a lot to send to Canada now.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 05-15-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:05 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Insured, not likely, but tracking, yes.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:08 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The last time I tried to ship something insured to Canada it was ridiculously expensive and there were just no good options.
Prices are all over the place. I have seen some as cheap as 6-9 dollars and some all the way up, like PWCC's, over $65. There is no way it costs PWCC that much money to insure, with tracking on cards less than $100-$150 dollars.

Like I have mentioned numerous times before, they are making bank with their shipping fees.