NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default 1915-ish Spring Training?

Detail from a larger photo. Any help i.d.'ing this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Can't help you out at all on identification but what a neat photo!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Don Stokes

Looks like a college field. The only major teams with uniforms that come close to that with name across jersey from that period are the Boston Red Sox and St, Louis Browns.

Last edited by Dto7; 08-26-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

I have looked at a lot of Red Sox spring training photos from 1915 and 1916, and this does look very similar, although the location isn't a match. The batting cage is an exact match with another photo I have. I assume there were a lot of these sold to teams, but this one is uncannily exact. Wishful thinking on my part, I'm sure.

I agree that it looks like a college field - you can see the football field yard markers, which should only be on the field at the END of the baseball season, not during spring training.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Don Stokes

If you look in the background looks like some high jumpers or pole vaulters are practicing, so it could be Spring.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dto7 View Post
If you look in the background looks like some high jumpers or pole vaulters are practicing, so it could be Spring.
True. I guess the markers are up for Spring football. I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to football.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:10 AM

You may have already found these, but several years ago there was an album of photos that had belonged to Lanigan, owner of the red sox , there should be enough to show more of the field, not just the cage. I must admit, when I first saw your posted photo, I immediately thought of the red sox photos. If memory serves they were all 1915 and from hot springs if that helps. good luck. I think the photo you show with Ruth is one of the Lanigan photos.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
You may have already found these, but several years ago there was an album of photos that had belonged to Lanigan, owner of the red sox , there should be enough to show more of the field, not just the cage. I must admit, when I first saw your posted photo, I immediately thought of the red sox photos. If memory serves they were all 1915 and from hot springs if that helps. good luck. I think the photo you show with Ruth is one of the Lanigan photos.
It made me think of the Red Sox and those 1915 Hot Springs photos as well. This isn't from that group of photos, but I was hoping someone would recognize the field and/or a player. The number of players indicates college or majors. Some of the players are actually fat and look too old for college, so I'm hoping it ends up being a ML team that was practicing on a college field. Improbable, I know.

Here's the entire image - approx 7 x 9:

Old 08-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Mike Dugan

Scott- The photo you posted looks like it could be from Hot Springs, do you have info on it?
Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Belltown Vintage

No, I have no additional info on it. It is affixed to a piece of thick, old paper with no writing on the back of the darker paper. I might try to remove it and see if there is writing on the back, as the thumbtack holes indicate the backing paper isn't original.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Caleb Hardwick

It's definitely not any Hot Springs baseball field I'm aware of. The Red Sox were at Majestic Park in the spring of 1915, and this isn't definitely isn't Majestic Park. The other image Scott posted in #4 does in fact look like Majestic Park though. Here's some other Majestic Park photos from that era for comparison: https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=914...N07&q=majestic
Old 08-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

I think it's obvious to all that the two baseball fields posted in the pics are not the same. My intent with this thread was to possibly identify where the field in my photo is, and who the team might be.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Mike Dugan

Caleb & Scott- I do think Scott's photo could be Majestic Field!

Mike
Old 08-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Caleb & Scott- I do think Scott's photo could be Majestic Field!

Mike
Thanks Mike, but I would have to see some part of my photo that could be identified with the same area in a known photo of the Hot Springs training field. To me it doesn't look like they match at all.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Mike Dugan

Scott- I am not a very competent or capable scanner. I am hoping Caleb who chimed in can apply some scans that might help us form a better opinion.

He is the ballpark guru for Arkansas. We have been very lucky to find hundreds of photos of Spring Training in Hot Springs, many of which are exhibited in a permanent display at our Convention Center.

At this time multiple Emmy winning documentarian Larry Foley is working on The First Boys of Spring covering baseball trips here by the majors, minors and negro leagues from 1886-thru World War II.

The still photos have been essential in the project since virtually no video exists that we know of other than a wonderful piece in the University of South Carolina film archives on the Ray Doan Baseball School from the early 1930s, that is of Whittington Park, the other major field in town.

The Lannin collection of photos has been our best resource for Majestic Field thus far.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:38 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks Mike. This is probably a first: the person with the item arguing against it being something good. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Caleb Hardwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
My intent with this thread was to possibly identify where the field in my photo is, and who the team might be.
I suppose I'm not much help here except to confirm that this is not Hot Springs. I agree with others that this looks very much like a college athletic field.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:59 PM

Default Perhaps Fitton Field (Holy Cross College) Worcester, MA

Hi Scott,

Looks like it could possibly be Fitton Field in Worcester, MA. Bill Carrigan played for Holy Cross. Perhaps the photo was an exhibition game between the Red Sox and Holy Cross.

Patrick
Old 08-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Belltown Vintage

Nice eye, Patrick!

I think you nailed it - the football field in this 1907 postcard lines up real well with my photo:

Old 08-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Don Stokes

I've been looking at college fields from around that time the last couple of days.

Here's Fitton Field 1915.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915 fitton field.jpg (59.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 1915 fitton field.jpg2.jpg (71.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 08-30-2014, 07:34 PM

Default Grew up in Worcester, MA

Hi Scott,

In the early 1900s Holy Cross had many players that made the pro ranks including Bill Carrigan and Mike "Doc" Powers.

Holy Cross sits on one of the many hills in Worcester. The sharp banking is something you don't forget. I played Division III soccer at Clark University. We played against Holy Cross on Fitton Field each year. One of my grandfathers and his son, my uncle, went to college there as well.

Ted Williams even played on Fitton Field.

http://www.crossports.com/archives.htm

http://goholycross.com/sports/m-base...041905aaa.html

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 08-30-2014 at 07:45 PM.