NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default SCP winners

I'm curious if anyone won anything cool from last night's SCP auction. They have been one of my favorite AH's to bid with over the last several years, and last night had some super-cool stuff. I ended up with the Sam Crawford letter, paying more than I planned, but it's for my personal collection and I already have the other items that it will be displayed with. Now up to six Crawford autographs, but a few of the others can now go to other collectors.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:36 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Red Schoendienst Braves Jacket...

Always loved this style/wanted one of these, and an HOFer, to boot...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schoendienst.jpg (67.9 KB, 530 views)
Old 08-24-2014, 12:53 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Anybody here win this one? Gotta be a world record price for a Trophy with no specific player attribution.... sold for nearly $200K

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/THE-J...-LOT28556.aspx
Old 08-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Red Schoendienst Braves Jacket...

Always loved this style/wanted one of these, and an HOFer, to boot...
Beautiful jacket, Mark. I've succumbed in the past to two Astros jackets, so I get it.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:01 PM

Hey, Scott! That letter was sent to my old neighborhood, but four years before I was born. Sam was still signing, though, when we wrote to him twenty years later.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nice Crawford Letter on your end as well!

A very underrated HOFer, it would seem... perhaps overshadowed by Cobb for much of his career. Great pickup, finding a full Letter as opposed to a Cut or Index Card.... nice!

Would also love to see images of those Astros Jackets, if you still have 'em
Old 08-24-2014, 02:22 PM

Default Scp Winnings

I picked up this Older Eagles Gamer. This style has been on my holy grail want list for a while now, and is the first I can recall being auctioned in the past 10 years or so. It was a very impressive auction overall - some killer trophies, helmets, etc.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Congrats on the Eagles helmet. Yes, great auction for vintage game-used. I also picked up the Cano bat, which is not normally my thing, but living in Seattle it's tough not to get on the Cano/Mariners-bandwagon.

...still an Astros fan. Wait 'til next year.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Went for the Cobb signed copy of Busting 'Em but couldn't pull the trigger
Old 08-24-2014, 02:50 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Wonderful pickup Keith...

I was really admiring that Eagles helmet. Such a classic era for Helmets... before they got too "busy". I know the Eagles have had numerous similar styles through the years, but that one is the best, hands-down... Congrats!
Old 08-24-2014, 04:23 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I was following the Georgia Tech - Cumberland Ball from the 1916 222-0 game, hoping that it would stay under the GT Athletic Association's budget. With the total price eclipsing $40K, the Athletic Director mentioned it was too rich for their blood. Maybe someone will want to loan/display it there or the new College Football Hall of Fame which opened up down the street.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:12 PM
Dave Grob

Default Bill Rigney's 1947 New York Giants Home Run Ring

I picked up Bill Rigney's 1947 New York Giants home run ring. This is the perfect complement to my 1956 Smoky Burgess Cincinnati Redlegs ring. Although both clubs provided these rings to players and team personnel, the New York Giants only had only had 16 players who actually hit home runs in 1947. The 1956 Redlegs only had 14 contributing players. Both Rigney (17 HRs) and Burgess (12 HRs) were among this small group of players who actually contributed to their team's total.

I would be curious if anyone knows of any public or private collections that feature examples of both rings. I know that the National Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum at Cooperstown is lacking a Reds ring.

For those of you who love trivia, Larry Jansen was the only player to have been awarded a ring by each of these clubs.

Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.JPG (66.6 KB, 435 views)
Old 08-25-2014, 01:40 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
... I ended up with the Sam Crawford letter, paying more than I planned, but it's for my personal collection and I already have the other items that it will be displayed with. Now up to six Crawford autographs, but a few of the others can now go to other collectors.
Nice pick-up, Scott! I was planning to bid on this one myself as it was saved in my watchlist.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Hey, Scott! That letter was sent to my old neighborhood, but four years before I was born. Sam was still signing, though, when we wrote to him twenty years later.
He seemed to be a prolific signer - there are still index cards and art-vue HOF plaques to be had. I have had two art-vue cards. But I have had a tough time finding a letter, which is what I collect. From the text in this one, it seems like he was more than willing to write back to fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Nice Crawford Letter on your end as well!

A very underrated HOFer, it would seem... perhaps overshadowed by Cobb for much of his career. Great pickup, finding a full Letter as opposed to a Cut or Index Card.... nice!

Would also love to see images of those Astros Jackets, if you still have 'em
Thanks Mark. From Larry Ritter's description of him in 'Glory of Their Times', it sounds like most people didn't know him, even in 1961, only 44 years after his playing days - he would hand out signed HOF cards and tell people who he was. It would be like a HOF'er whose career ended in 1970, being forgotten by today by most people. Perhaps like McCovey being overshadowed by Mays?

Regarding the jackets, one was a bright orange 1970's official team jacket, but not game-used. It was just too small to wear in public, so I sold it. The other was a 1990's game-worn by coach Tom McCraw. It was too huge, so I gave it to my brother. Next one I find should be a perfect fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
Nice pick-up, Scott! I was planning to bid on this one myself as it was saved in my watchlist.
Thanks for abandoning your plan
Old 08-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grob View Post
I picked up Bill Rigney's 1947 New York Giants home run ring. This is the perfect complement to my 1956 Smoky Burgess Cincinnati Redlegs ring. Although both clubs provided these rings to players and team personnel, the New York Giants only had only had 16 players who actually hit home runs in 1947. The 1956 Redlegs only had 14 contributing players. Both Rigney (17 HRs) and Burgess (12 HRs) were among this small group of players who actually contributed to their team's total.

I would be curious if anyone knows of any public or private collections that feature examples of both rings. I know that the National Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum at Cooperstown is lacking a Reds ring.

For those of you who love trivia, Larry Jansen was the only player to have been awarded a ring by each of these clubs.

Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com
Congratulations Dave. I was looking at both this ring, and the PCL championship ring. Great stuff of all types in this auction.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Phil Nap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I'm curious if anyone won anything cool from last night's SCP auction. They have been one of my favorite AH's to bid with over the last several years, and last night had some super-cool stuff. I ended up with the Sam Crawford letter, paying more than I planned, but it's for my personal collection and I already have the other items that it will be displayed with. Now up to six Crawford autographs, but a few of the others can now go to other collectors.
Scott,

Bert Padell was a Yankee batboy around that time. I know he was there in '49.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNap View Post
Scott,

Bert Padell was a Yankee batboy around that time. I know he was there in '49.
Thanks, Phil. After an email from a forum member, I googled 'Bert Padell', who I had never heard of, and found where his autographed letter collection was auctioned back in 2007 - lots of good biographical information.

If Sam Crawford had had a better sense of the future, instead of wishing Bert luck as a baseball player, he would have said he hoped he would have success representing rappers. Sam just wasn't in touch back in '47.

Last edited by Runscott; 08-25-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Doug Goodman

Bert Padell has (had?) an accountant firm that dealt with a lot of entertainment stuff, back in the 80s I often had to go to their offices in Manhattan where the walls were covered with his collection. Everything you can imagine, very similar to the Halper collection without (hopefully) the dark side.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:34 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Updating my previous post about the 222-0 football, a Georgia Tech grad in Atlanta purchased it and will either donate or put the ball on permanent loan to the Athletic Association. The GTAA was bidding at one point, but the price eclipsed their budget. With the nature of the "blind bids", the grad didn't know whether or not he was bidding against the Athletic Association, creating a Heathcliff/Claire Huxtable situation on that old jazz record at auction. That episode was a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBowr1wKx84

Last edited by swarmee; 08-26-2014 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Add video link
Old 08-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Bert Padell has (had?) an accountant firm that dealt with a lot of entertainment stuff, back in the 80s I often had to go to their offices in Manhattan where the walls were covered with his collection. Everything you can imagine, very similar to the Halper collection without (hopefully) the dark side.
Padell was also the guy that was offered the old Red Sox stuff for $5,000, including a bunch of player contracts and the 1918 Ruth incentive contract that we discussed here. The seller re-nigged on his offer after being offered more by Barry Halper, for the Ruth incentive contract and another piece, but still sold Padell the rest of the Red Sox player contracts.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:12 PM
Jordan Gluck

I love that Eagles helmet and was going to bid before it got out of my range
Old 09-01-2014, 06:21 AM

Thanks J. I had been looking for this era of Eagles helmet for a longtime, and can't wait to receive it.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:23 AM
Rusty Sm0l0v

I was able to pick-up the McNown jersey for a decent price... Still trying to photomatch it so any help is appreciated!
I was in the hunt for the William "The refrigirator" Perry jersey but it ended up going for more than I think it's worth...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McNown.jpg (38.4 KB, 90 views)

Always looking for Chicago Bears jerseys!
Particularly jerseys with patches...

Last edited by Samets; 09-02-2014 at 06:26 AM.