NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 AM

Default Should Beckett be grading these paper cut outs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-1...item4170cb7db4

I have a real problem with this. Now we have a legit company grading pages cut out of periodicals. That guy in Hawaii who started this was destroyed on this board years ago. I believe it was NASA grading and AAA?

I think to have a legit company slabbing pages from a periodical is just sending a bad message.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by danmckee; 02-15-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

You said grading, but it is just authenticated. So they are only saying it is an authentic page from a book.

If they started numerical grades I would agree with you.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 AM
D@ve R1cks

It doesn't have a numerical grade, just a slab to say it is authentic and not a copy. I don't have a problem with it whatsoever.

Grading companies aren't bound by anything. They can listen to their customers and do whatever they want to make their customers happy and grow their business.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I saw that listing last night, and looked up on Google what it was. I was actually able to find the auction where this piece previously sold. You can tell the collecting world has little respect for this piece when a playing era Shoeless Joe item sells for less than half the $625 the seller is asking for a minimum bid.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As I said in our email, I have absolutely no issue at all with it. Why anyone would, I don't know. It is labeled correctly. It is not for me but like I said Dan.....if you pick a cig butt up off of the ground and sell it as a cig butt off of the ground, and someone wants to pay for it, why should anyone care? They are a grading and authentication company. That is what they are doing. So, I politely disagree with you.
Ken Wirt

I'm not a big fan of this either. Encourages people to damage historical items, not intended to be torn apart. Also encourages attempts at misrepresenting items as "cards" to newbies.
Fred

This just goes to show how crazy this hobby is becoming...

You could take a Spalding Guide (over 100+ pages) cut out each page and have a butt load of slabs made from one book. This does a couple of things, first off it destroys a perfectly good Spalding Guide, second it allows the yahoo to pull a page with Joe Jackson on it and try to get hundreds of dollars for it. I guess, overall, we may see more and more perfectly fine books being destroyed in order to pull the page with Joe Jackson on it. Next they'll be looking for pages of magazines with Fatty Arbuckle or Jimmy Claxton...

For now, we could all go looking for that particular Spalding Guide and buy it for less than the cost of that slabbed page....
Old 02-15-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post
It doesn't have a numerical grade, just a slab to say it is authentic and not a copy. I don't have a problem with it whatsoever.

Grading companies aren't bound by anything. They can listen to their customers and do whatever they want to make their customers happy and grow their business.
Grading companies aren't bound by anything? They can just do whatever they want? WOW! I completely misunderstood what their purpose is then.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 AM
pete ullman

I also am fine with authentic...not all that different from a page out of a significant comic book...I guess? Do they even grade those? I'd guess they do!

A number grade I'd have a problem with.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:13 AM

I can't read the flip, does it state an authentic page from a book or magazine? I guess that wouldn't be too bad then a new collector would understand they were only getting a small piece of a full item.

Ok looks like I am way off base here. Maybe NASA grading should come back.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Matt Hall

It's in a slab so it's a card now... You can't call it a page anymore.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
I can't read the flip, does it state an authentic page from a book or magazine? I guess that wouldn't be too bad then a new collector would understand they were only getting a small piece of a full item.

Ok looks like I am way off base here. Maybe NASA grading should come back.
It only says "Spalding Guide" on it Dan. I don't think you are way off at all and I definitely see your arguments. Like I said too, there is just so many other things to combat that are so much worse. It's like a cop getting someone for going 58 mph in a 55 mph zone, to me.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I don't have too much of a problem with it. Aside from the fact that it probably encourages cutting up the guides. I have a handful of these type of pages(only one slabbed). They can be great, for players that you otherwise may not be able to find something of. Like Sockalexis on the 1902 Lowell page, and the Moonlight Graham on the 1907 Scranton page. I also have one of the 1894 Cleveland team that used many of the JUST SO photos(it's a great item for Young and Burkett). Do I like that they've been cut out? NO! They make for some nice smaller display pieces though..

Last edited by novakjr; 02-15-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Fred

I'll call it going 65 in a 55.... 58, really???
Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Steven Finley

I own a couple of these. As a full time student, it is an affordable way for me to acquire and display a period piece of players such as Ed Delehanty or the famed 1890's Baltimore squad. I can understand Dan's displeasure about destroying an intact item in this manner, but as a counter argument it affords collectors without a major budget an avenue to 19th century players and teams. (The price of that New Orleans page, however, is ridiculous.)
Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

What if it was in a PSA holder?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:01 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

The only minor quibble I have with both the Beckett authentication and the listing is that it is not a guide but a page from the guide. I would like to see Beckett add "Page" at the end of their description on the first line of text on the slab. Similarly for the seller listing the piece. It is not a "card" but a "page" from the guide. Other than that minor point, I don't think there is any deception of misrepresentation of what it is. (I know, that wasn't the original question/concern)

I have a problem "destroying" complete books, but don't have (as much) of a problem pulling pages from incomplete material. So if the guide was already in pieces, pages missing or eaten, etc, I can stomach the removal of additional pages a bit more. Though my "problem" with this directly proportional to the scarcity of an item.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

So somebody could send this to Beckett for cross-over:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOE-JACKSON-...item2c6394d8e6
Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
I'm not a big fan of this either. Encourages people to damage historical items, not intended to be torn apart. Also encourages attempts at misrepresenting items as "cards" to newbies.
+1 Not sure how others in the hobby could not understand this, but if you don't have an appreciation for old books I guess it's possible.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I don't have too much of a problem with it. Aside from the fact that it probably encourages cutting up the guides.
To some of us that is more than an "Aside", and you can remove the word "probably".
Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
I own a couple of these. As a full time student, it is an affordable way for me to acquire and display a period piece of players such as Ed Delehanty or the famed 1890's Baltimore squad. I can understand Dan's displeasure about destroying an intact item in this manner, but as a counter argument it affords collectors without a major budget an avenue to 19th century players and teams. (The price of that New Orleans page, however, is ridiculous.)
You are right. Chopping up a Ty Cobb bat and selling the splinters as part of a card also makes that bat more accessible. In fact, why don't we just do that with EVERY collectible? We could chop up all the T206 Honus Wagner cards while we're at it.

...in a perfect world where I owned all the scissors
Old 02-15-2013, 10:14 AM
PeterB

It does sadden me that somebody ripped out the page from a guide just to try and make a buck (this case many bucks).

Beckett should have notated that is is a "page from" the guide.

But I don't like that the seller calls the item a "card" in the description.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
This just goes to show how crazy this hobby is becoming...

You could take a Spalding Guide (over 100+ pages) cut out each page and have a butt load of slabs made from one book. This does a couple of things, first off it destroys a perfectly good Spalding Guide, second it allows the yahoo to pull a page with Joe Jackson on it and try to get hundreds of dollars for it.
There is no "trying" to get hundreds of dollars about it. The same item previously sold for $298 last year. I am not an expert on Spalding Guides, but don't entire Spalding books sell for significantly less than this one page out of the book?

https://monthly.scpauctions.com/LotD...px?lotid=18691

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-15-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
You are right. Chopping up a Ty Cobb bat and selling the splinters as part of a card also makes that bat more accessible. In fact, why don't we just do that with EVERY collectible? We could chop up all the T206 Honus Wagner cards while we're at it.

I'm also against cutting up stuff to "make it more accessible" That's never made sense to me.
I'd love to own a Ty Cobb bat someday. It will probably never happen.
I'd be ok with owning a Ty Cobb bat card. And could probably get one if I wanted it. But I don't think my level of excitement would be anywhere near finding a whole bat that I could afford.

The flip side is stuff that's already in really bad condition. Like maybe a Cobb bat that spent a few decades in the basement of barn that flooded regularly.

As far as books and magazines go, I bought a bunch of magazines from the former publisher of a nostalgia magazine. He also did a whole book of collected christmas stories and art from the same magazines. Some of what I got were in decent condition, others had been cut up already to make the book and magazines.
There's also a bunch of partial magazines. I'm not really all that against cutting up a magazine that had no covers when he got it and then had an article and a couple ads cut out years before I got it.
One of them sells for about $3 in nice condition. But the ad from 1920 specifically aimed at winning the womens vote sold for something like 20-30.
(If you want a bunch of stuff like that just Email me and I'll make you a great deal)

And the batch of stuff he had, thousands of magazines, rotogravure sections, and books. aside from the roto sections the only bit of sports stuff was a spalding guide cover. Just the cover, and in poor condition at that. I looked for hours for the rest of it

Steve B
Old 02-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The flip side is stuff that's already in really bad condition.
There's also a bunch of partial magazines. I'm not really all that against cutting up a magazine that had no covers when he got it and then had an article and a couple ads cut out years before I got it.
Steve, what you say makes perfect sense. We discussed this at length ten years ago when the infamous 'Libertyforall' seller was parting out any Spalding or Reach Guide he could get his hands on. He participated in our discussions and didn't impress anyone.

But he did learn something. Now, if you read the item descriptions for the pages from old books, you'll find that many of them state that the seller only cuts up books that are so beat up that they aren't of value whole. They are lying, but it makes the bidder feel better about bidding.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

That is a fair argument. In return I would argue that two are far from same in scope. A Spalding Guide, while still very much a part of the hobby's history, is minimal in magnitude. A bat once swung by Ty Cobb, used as a weapon to procure base hits by the most intense character to every play the game, is a relic of the game in its finest sense and should be preserved for the prosperity of the game's history. Collectors have entire runs of Spalding Guides resting on dusty shelves that are but a footnote of their entire collection. Collectors that own a personal artifact from Cobb, Ruth, or Gehrig know that it an important part of the history of baseball. Everything is relative, find me a dealer that will trade a Cobb gamer for a few paperbacks and I'm first in line.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
That is a fair argument. In return I would argue that two are far from same in scope. A Spalding Guide, while still very much a part of the hobby's history, is minimal in magnitude. A bat once swung by Ty Cobb, used as a weapon to procure base hits by the most intense character to every play the game, is a relic of the game in its finest sense and should be preserved for the prosperity of the game's history. Collectors have entire runs of Spalding Guides resting on dusty shelves that are but a footnote of their entire collection. Collectors that own a personal artifact from Cobb, Ruth, or Gehrig know that it an important part of the history of baseball. Everything is relative, find me a dealer that will trade a Cobb gamer for a few paperbacks and I'm first in line.
I didn't say they were equal - you are responding to a straw man, not me.

I don't normally talk from the straw man's perspective, but Scott was implying that neither should be chopped up.

Last edited by Runscott; 02-15-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Barry Arnold

Default should

I remember the AAA fiasco from aeons ago, when we discussed it on this board and elsewhere. My problem with slabbing the cut-outs is that many of the
newbies low on funds and knowledge of the hobby's best wares will buy these
catalogue and magazine pieces and think they are really getting something
valuable to the vintage card hobbyist. I think Beckett would do well to continue
doing what it does well and step away from this 'new' activity.
all the best,
barry
Old 02-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
The only minor quibble I have with both the Beckett authentication and the listing is that it is not a guide but a page from the guide. I would like to see Beckett add "Page" at the end of their description on the first line of text on the slab. Similarly for the seller listing the piece. It is not a "card" but a "page" from the guide. Other than that minor point, I don't think there is any deception of misrepresentation of what it is. (I know, that wasn't the original question/concern)

I have a problem "destroying" complete books, but don't have (as much) of a problem pulling pages from incomplete material. So if the guide was already in pieces, pages missing or eaten, etc, I can stomach the removal of additional pages a bit more. Though my "problem" with this directly proportional to the scarcity of an item.
Yes, card in the seller description is the only problem I see. But, I would not buy it.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
I think Beckett would do well to continue
all the best,
barry

...it's not book cut-outs
...it's not photographs

...winning arguments with Henry II?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
Yes, card in the seller description is the only problem I see. But, I would not buy it.

Joe
That was why I had to look it up on Google for more information. I was pretty sure it was just a book page, but the "card" description kinda threw me at first. I always follow Shoeless Joe cards, and I knew there was no "card" like this of him out there.

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-15-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Barry Arnold

Default scott f

now, if they are in the business of slabbing pieces of the Constitutions of
Clarendon, I will certainly take a stab at purchasing one of those at AAA prices.

all the best,
Barry
Old 02-15-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I remember the AAA fiasco from aeons ago, when we discussed it on this board and elsewhere. My problem with slabbing the cut-outs is that many of the
newbies low on funds and knowledge of the hobby's best wares will buy these
catalogue and magazine pieces and think they are really getting something
valuable to the vintage card hobbyist. I think Beckett would do well to continue
all the best,
barry
My thoughts exactly Barry! Thank you kindly!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
now, if they are in the business of slabbing pieces of the Constitutions of
Clarendon, I will certainly take a stab at purchasing one of those at AAA prices.

all the best,
Barry
Only board members named Barry would have understood.

Spalding Guide to Becket: "Me - with my delicate skin. I bet you'd never have done the same for me. But - I suppose I have to do this penance and make my peace with you. Hmm. What a strange end to our story."
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Banned

these companies will slab anything, indicting a ham sandwich if you will. you will see michael jordan's fingernail clippings and steve garvey's belly button lint next.

Last edited by travrosty; 02-15-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:21 PM

My number one philosophy is "As long as it's accurately labelled." Unlike some 'grading purists' (yes, a slightly snide term) I don't have a problem with companies holdering oddities-- including reprints, deceased celebrity drivers licenses and fans' 2010 Wrigley Stadium polaroids --, AS LONG AS the item is accurately described.

However, I don't like book pages being holdered (It's the they 'tear out of book' part I don't like, not that it's not a card) and, far more important than my ethical opinions on books pages, I think the label has to say it's a book page if its a book page.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by drc; 02-15-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Fred

Regarding the AAA cross-overs,,,,, hahahahaha That was too funny.

I still remember people used to get really pissed off at the clown that was encapsulating magazine pictures in those AAA holders.... I suppose Beckett has "legitimized" it and it's not so offensive now. I see no difference in what the clown with the AAA holders did. Oh, I guess I need to start referring to those guys at Becketts the same way... Oh yeah, who ever said that those clowns should add "Page" to the end of the "Spalding Guide" is absolutely right. They should even include the page number(s).

Personally, I think it's crap. I'd rather just have the entire Spalding Guide... oh yeah, that's right people don't know they're available... oops, there goes the price of Spalding Guides now....
Old 02-15-2013, 12:39 PM

Agreed, "AAA cross-overs" is the laugh of the day.

Last edited by drc; 02-15-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 PM

Fred and others,

I have a couple of problems with these pages being graded:

1) They have been torn out of a guide.

2) By grading them, they have been "legitimized".

I have a T206 Cobb bat off shoulder that I think might grade a 3 (if I ever have it graded). If I ever do send it in and it comes back as (Authentic) the only problem I would have with that grade is the monetary difference that I could sell a card graded "3" for as compared to one graded "Authentic".

The difference, in my opinion, between my Cobb card and this page is the fact if my Cobb came back "Authentic" they would have judged the whole card and given it that grade. Whereas with this page, the are just judging one PIECE of the guide.

If they were to start grading complete guide books, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But, to me, grading ONE page (out of 100 or so in a guide) would be like me sending in a sliver of my Cobb card and asking it to be graded. Sure, I could have an "Authentic" sliver but big deal.

Having a page graded as "Authentic" by a reputable grading company just opens up yet ANOTHER can of worms for an unsuspecting collecting public.

I can see a woman spending big bucks on something like this and proudly giving it to her husband as a gift and then he sees it and is disappointed and has to explain why things like this are not really valuable or collectable (at least compared to a REAL card).

David
Old 02-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Fred

You are absolutely preaching to the choir here. I don't care what those guys do however I think it's a shame that they are going to promote tearing up nice guides, from the past, in an effort to get some business. I'm not sure if this legitimizes the pages for collectors that know what they're doing but it could add a bit of legitimacy to those that don't understand what's really going on with the page(s).
Old 02-15-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
You are absolutely preaching to the choir here. I don't care what those guys do however I think it's a shame that they are going to promote tearing up nice guides, from the past, in an effort to get some business. I'm not sure if this legitimizes the pages for collectors that know what they're doing but it could add a bit of legitimacy to those that don't understand what's really going on with the page(s).
Choir +1
Old 02-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The item should be labeled a page from a guide.

It should not be graded because was never intended to be a stand-alone item, unlike a W card.

Otherwise, I have no issue with accurately labeled items being slabbed. As long as they fit inside the slab it isn't my place to tell the submitter what to spend money on slabbing. I've had SGC slab a number of items that don't strictly conform to the ideal of a 'card'. I had them do this promo for a Benny Leonard play and it looks great:

I will have them do more of them when I think the item would be well preserved and displayed in a slab. I recently saw an auction [Goodwin?] that had an envelope from an early A's championship team in an SGC slab and I thought it looked great.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-15-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Beckett paid a lot of money to obtain a licence that allows them to legally
authenticate sports paper works, which ever kind it is! and that is all anybody
with a sound mind needs to know, really!

Last edited by pepis; 02-15-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepis View Post
Beckett paid a lot of money to obtain a licence that allows them to legally
authenticate sports paper works, which ever kind it is! and that is all anybody
with a sound mind needs to know, really!
really? LMAO...a license to authenticate.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Fred

I guess the nut job that was doing AAA forgot to renew his license.... I haven't seen that garbage for a while now... or is it that I'm becoming immune to the garbage...?
Old 02-15-2013, 05:52 PM

When the market dried up he sold his leftover inventory as packaging material and hamster bedding.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Eric Perry

At the very least, this piece should have been labeled as, "trimmed."

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 02-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
Agree completely. If this photograph were issued as a single sheet then I would have no problem with Beckett slabbing it.

But because this practice encourages the destruction of the limited number of Spalding and Reach Guides that are still in existence, I hate it.

Edited to add you can buy an intact 1909 Spalding Guide for around $100-150, depending on condition. Why a single page is worth five times that amount is a bit of a mystery.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-16-2013 at 09:02 AM.