NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-07-2009, 10:57 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default major auction houses a lesson to be learned

what we learned from mile high yesterday is that you should consign psa stuff to them
regionals to huggins and test issues to scp or legendary
rare memoribilia and unique stuff to robert edwards
they all have their on niche of bidders
you could have stolen some 67 standups yesterday at mile high
or you could pay a fortune for cheap stuff in psa holders
Old 10-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Barry Sloate

Actually I think they all have the same bidders...but I agree certain auctions do have their specialties, which in turn brings in like consignments.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

What we learned from last night is that flowery, grammatically incorrect language is the driving force behind high auction prices.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Barry Sloate

Jeff- wouldn't you think that a company that wants to put out a professional auction catalog could spend a little time proofreading it...or find a college English major to look it over for a few bucks?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:42 AM

Default all have these problems

All auction catalogs have these problems. I think they're quite amusing, especially when a player's name is spelled wrong.

Attention all auction houses - proof reader for hire right here...
Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Jeff- wouldn't you think that a company that wants to put out a professional auction catalog could spend a little time proofreading it...or find a college English major to look it over for a few bucks?
No. Flowery language gets the competitive juices flowing which causes insane, 8x the value prices. I never said the language had to make sense.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:50 AM

Jeff - I hope you realize that I have the term "flowery language" copyrighted. You will have to pay me a nickel every time you use it. I should have enough for a full sized BG Cobb in no time.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Dave Terwi.lliger

Larry..i do agree on the '67 standups, BUT if you wanted a '68 3-d Powell in psa8 you had to beat $8,500 .... 3-d Stottlemyer in psa6 set somebody back $3,800 (i picked one up that graded psa7 in 2003 for $800) ..conversely the Flood psa6 was cheap, as were the easy ones... I paid about what I expected to upgrade my Staub to psa6.

I also thought the D304 Kelly, and a few of the E90-3 cards got strong action.

There do seem to be good deals to be had lately...lots of material being auctioned and money tight for most of us.

Last edited by murcerfan; 10-07-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
you could have stolen some 67 standups yesterday at mile high

If the 1967 Test Stand-Ups that sold last night were from the Charlie Conlon Collection copies sold in REA, someone really took a huge loss. When REA sold them in May 2009, they went for 5x to 12x as much, depending on which lot they came from.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2009/843.html

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2009/842.html

What do you think, Jeff?
Old 10-07-2009, 03:52 PM

For people who don't like too much verbiage in auction catalogs, many sure like seeing their own (boringly repetitive) verbiage on the screen.

Question: WHat is more annoying: lengthy auction item descriptions, or people complaining about the same thing over and over and over again?

Last edited by E93; 10-07-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:14 PM

I don't repeat myself. I rephrase.

Last edited by drc; 10-07-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
For people who don't like too much verbiage in auction catalogs, many sure like seeing their own (boringly repetitive) verbiage on the screen.

Question: WHat is more annoying: lengthy auction item descriptions, or people complaining about the same thing over and over and over again?
Well put.

I could care less how long or flowery they are.

If you don't like the description, don't read it. I don't mind them, they make for good bathroom reading when I don't feel like grabbing War and Peace for a five minute trip. I am sure that some of the write ups have contributed to the bottom line at least a couple times, when someone that was not as familiar with the item as others, got swayed by the description.

Has anyone ever not bid on something because the description was long or flowery? I doubt it. Has one ever added just one more bid increase? I am willing to put money on it.

Anyone that has to deal with sales people (I am not one, but deal with them all the time), know that there is going to be some BS involved, it is just part of the deal.

That is just one man's opinion, and that man is Bob!
Take care
Bob

I don't feel like down loading the spell check, so feel free to knock a feller for growing up in the public school system and relying on Outlook to fix my work mistakes. Now go eat at Popeyes, chicken that makes you feel good about things!
Old 10-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post

The latter; the auction eventually ends.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...