NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2002, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Default Anyone else have a difficult time stomaching this auction?

Posted By: runscott

For those of you who aren't getting my drift, the seller is perfectly legit, as is the card. It's other aspects of this auction that make me want to go beat the sh*t out of someone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=1976960351&rd=1

Old 12-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...or at least me. I wanna know what's pissin' you off, Bro...

The card looks kinda cool, and it seems to be labeled correctly, as it is the E90-1. Is it the "shoebox" aka "Grampa's Attic" thing?

Old 12-10-2002, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

I hear ya, Scott.

-Ryan

Old 12-10-2002, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It's the high bidder who has a serious problem of not paying for what he wins. He has been booted from ebay many times and always "wants and intends" to do the right thing....and still owes some board member(s) money....kind of like me being addicted but not paying for what I win (which I don't do).....ANYONE would get a bad reputation like that....regards all

Old 12-10-2002, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

Maybe that's the plan all along, scare off legit bidders so you get stuff for cheap .

Old 12-10-2002, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...I wasn't aware of this guy. Not cool.

How does he continue to be able to do this, and not have any negative feedback?

Old 12-10-2002, 05:50 PM
Administrator

scaring off "gettin' yo' ass kicked" if he keeps this up....although maybe he will come through this time...but still doesn't make any sense bidding on ebay AND still owing people money (for a long time)....here's to hoping he gets some help as I have also heard he means well and is a nice chap otherwise......kind of paradoxical...regards all

Old 12-10-2002, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wes

Quan is correct. Dave had some great 90-1s, 102s, and Dockmans in the past two months. I bought a few cards and was very happy with all of them.

There were several cards that I really wanted to bid on tonight, but I did not. Afterall, what is the point of bidding against someone who has no intention of paying? That would almost be like trying to compete with someone with an infinite amount of funds.

Old 12-10-2002, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff S

I may be wrong here, but in case I'm not, I wanted to say this before this gets out of hand-

I think y'all may be confusing a couple of bidders...the winning bidder here is TIM, not Tom, and is NOT the same guy who has come up in recent board discussions, selling a group of Weaver cards and with multiple eBay handles.

I really hope you all know something I don't know...if you are just getting Tim and Tom mixed up, some apologies are in order.

(Like I said, I'm not 100% sure, but I have reasonable doubt...)

Old 12-10-2002, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wes

Sorry for not bidding in your auction tongith, Dave.

Old 12-10-2002, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

I think at the time of the original post, Tim was not the high bidder.

Old 12-10-2002, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

Yes at the time the reference was to old-gum-man being high bidder. I've never had direct contact with Tom but I made the decision not to bid based on the comments on this board. Was always happy with Dave's SGC-graded cards.

Old 12-10-2002, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff s

That makes much more sense...I couldn't figure out why everybody was making that mistake, and it turns out they weren't!

It's good to see that both hi bidder and underbidder were legit--makes it easier to stomach the auction!

Old 12-11-2002, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I thought scott was pissed about the description saying thecards came from the original onwer, who walked intot he show this year and sold the cards. This being the case, the guy would have to be almost 100 to be a kid collecting those cards when they were issued.

Jay

Old 12-11-2002, 05:35 AM
Administrator

We were talking about Tom Lawrie NOT Tim Sedlock. I know Tim personally and talk to him every now and then and even partner on some deals with him. He is one of the best ebayers and a great person to collect with...regards all

Old 12-11-2002, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I always try to give the other board members credit for having common sense...and minor sleuthing abilities.

Old 12-12-2002, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

who, as soon as he gets your invoice, starts talking about how he was robbed?

Makes my teeth chatter...

Old 12-12-2002, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

How di you spell " i'm!!!"

pronounced !eeeeumiin! in Vietnamese?

Old 12-12-2002, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jonathan Perry

The scary thing about this sellers story is it could be true last year at the Ft. Washington show...the one that was in the middle of March a man probably in his late 20s to early 30s walked in the show with a brown paper bag. In the bag was a small box about the size of a business card box. When he oppened it there were over 300 caramel cards just like this. Al Rosen of course jumped on the box of cards. The guy wanted about 10X what Rosen was willing to pay. Finally Rosen broke down the entire "condition thing" for the guy explaning to him that he wanted mint prices for the cards and these cards were not mint.
Anyway to make a long story short I stood there and watched Al Rosen count out $37,000 in $100 bills and then watch the guy put the money back into his brown lunch bag and walk out. Rosen said he counted 30 something different Wagner cards. I myself saw at lest 20 of the one in the auction. The man at the show stated he found the cards in his gradmothers attic.
If this card is from that particular FT. Washington show then I would have to say that this e-bay sellers story does check out.

regards to all...by the way watching Rosen count out the $37,000 in 100s was one of the cooler things I have ever witnessed at a card show.

Old 12-13-2002, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce moreland

I thought this card would attract the "buy the card, not the holder" people, since this card is centered terribly. That is not 80/20, which is what SGC's standard says.

Whether or not the card is really EX is an interesting issue. If it has NM or so corners, I think that it's a close call. I might try to call it EX, but I would be unsure of myself. I would feel more comfortable calling it VGEX+.

The centering does affect the eye appeal pretty significantly.

bruce

Old 12-13-2002, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Were the 300 odd caramel cards you saw in the brown paper bag E92 primarily? You mentioned 30 odd Wagners, I was just wondering if any of these were of the E93, E94 or E98 variety...

Old 12-13-2002, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

with that much cash?

I don't mean that facetiously, I am serious. How would you handle that much cabbage? If you deposit it all at once you will trigger a currency report and very likely be visited by the FBI, DEA and/or IRS, especially if you are not involved in retail sales. Even if you deposit it over time, you will be creating quite a bump in your bank account. You would probably have to file a schedule C to account for your actions and earnings. Of course, the greedy scumbags, er, Federal and state governments would then take 40% or so of the money and use it to pay for another cow fart study or another school built directly over an earthquake fault and toxic waste dump (Belmont HS in LA, a $300 million vacant lot).

So, hypothetically, we have a deal here that could be off the government radar screen. Now, hypothetically, just among us friends, if you could get cash for your cards in a manner that created no records, it would be worth around 140% of face value if you could keep it outside the tax structure. Of course, that would be illegal and I would NEVER EVER myself do or counsel anyone to put that type of money in a safe deposit box and use it to fund cash purchases of goods and services, vacations, etc. NO WAY.

I am curious: Did Rosen make any records of the sale? Get the name of the buyer or his tax ID #? Have him sign a receipt? Last time I saw AR do his shtick, he did nothing like that. And isn't it interesting how well Rosen does by keeping the deals in cash. It leads nearly all of his advertising.

This reminds me of a great real story: I was at a show about ten years ago and I was killing time talking with an obnoxious dealer who was bragging a blue streak about all the massive cash deals he had made on hot rookie cards (remember when people used to trade 100-1000 card bricks of them like Enron options or crack cocaine?). He was throwing around tens of thousands of dollars in cash profits that he was very proud of not declaring. When he asked me what I do, I told him I was a lawyer. "For who?" he said. "I work for the Justice Department in its tax evasion unit," I said, "we'll be in touch." He turned white as a ghost but I cracked up before I could get away and he realized I was kidding.

Old 12-13-2002, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff s

Depending on what you want to do with the money, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to keep it quiet. Unless you want to invest it, it never has to go into a bank account (it could even go into a bank deposit box for safety).

Virtually everything can be paid for by m.o., and you can buy those in cash up to $700 at a time from the post office.

What I would do, especially if I wanted to invest the money, would be to use the 37k or whatever amount of cash for expenses, and just not spend a penny of my income. Then the legit (read: taxed already) income is in the bank, raising no eyebrows, it just isn't depleted by the things that normally deplete it.

You might raise some eyebrows at the post office, but if you're really concerned about that, find yourself a few extra post offices nearby .

The trick is: ya gotta think like a drug dealer .