NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2002, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Default Blue Eyes is back

Posted By: runscott

Now we have three of them. How can ebay allow this clown to continue listing this card?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1980826578

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1980706145

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1980926589

Old 12-11-2002, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

That last one is funny as sh**....good job... !!

Old 12-11-2002, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

The funny thing is that Scott's prank listing doesn't come across as any more outragous than the other two. If I didn't know who's who, I might be hard pressed to pick which seller was being serious. They all have the "You're joking, right?" quality.

Next time, Scott should list the 3-D Premier Wagner that comes with 3-D glasses.

Old 12-11-2002, 12:37 PM
Administrator

David - say what you will. I have shown this to an expert collector who has been around cards as much as me, and she sniffed, smelled, and licked the card. I gave her a treat and walked her afterward. I also showed it to an expert in the printing field and he said, "yes, this was printed".

So there you have it.

Old 12-11-2002, 12:45 PM
Administrator

I've got it Scott. You should come out with the complete set of Premier T206 Wagners. Includes the 'Huskie Premier' (different colored eyes), 'Lil' Orphan Annie Premiere' (blank eyes), 'Groucho Marx Joke Glasses Premiere,' 'Pirate's Patch Premiere', 'Cyclops Premiere', etc.

Old 12-11-2002, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Also, "crushed beer can on forehead premiere"

Old 12-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Administrator

And the ever elusive Marty Feldman Premiere with Hustler back.

Hell, I might even bid on on that one if it came to auction.

Old 12-11-2002, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

What a hoot!

Hey, ya gotta love the MORON in the first two auctions, though. What REALLY cracks me up is that he is selling the same SHAT on two different auctions under two different names with two different locations. Cincinatti and Massachusetts.

Then, you read his descriptions, and he has the same crappy grammar/spelling and the same buzz words ... it's "93 years old" one of a kind, i've had card shops and printers look at it, blah blah blah ... all the same garbage.

And, he probably thinks "wow, they're gonna look at the two different locations and think I'm two different people". What a complete idiot.

Makes me think of that Bugs Bunny cartoon, where the one character walks around saying "duh, which way did he go, which way did he go....DUHHHHHH"

Old 12-11-2002, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Check the feedback comments for the seller of "blue eyes #2 (1965mercuryman)":

btuttle@mis.net(463) Not a registered user Jan-03-01 15:05:31 PST 1104680542
Praise : SUPER FAST PAYMENT THANKS

Old 12-11-2002, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC_McKenzie

the strip shopping center manager who foreclosed on a bb card shop and sold off the merchandize on ebay to recoup his the remainder of the lease?

At least it has provenance or whatever. At some point, some reprints are more vauable than others. Instead of the Harris Collection, you could have the "Tuttle" collection at a fraction of the cost.

Old 12-12-2002, 06:53 AM
Administrator

I've gotten about ten e-mails from other collectors that said it gave them a laugh. Quite seriously, as much as some of us get worked up about fakes, and as valuable as a laugh is - maybe it ends up even in the end.

Now, on the other hand, I've gotten two serious responses. I updated my listing with one I received from a simpleton, but I received this one as well. I didn't respond because I already saw a "raw card review" in a sleazy bar near the Nationals this summer - it cost $5 to get in and you had to buy two drinks.

"Would you agree to a Beckett Raw Card Review?-Quite Seriously, Butch"

Old 12-12-2002, 08:56 AM
Administrator

...I dunno if you remember my spoofs or not... I had the "Matty photo, standing with Frodo Baggins, Ronald Reagan and Sam Kinison" and the other one which was a reprint Dark Cap that had a piece of paper towel taped to it (which I called a game worn jersey), a fake autograph and a drawn on Matty Moustache...

Both auctions drew a huge # of e-mails from people telling me how funny it was, etc etc. BUT...I had serious inquiries on both from several people asking about its authenticity, saying things like "I never knew Matty had a moustache for one season..." and on and on with comments/inquiries that were really so outrageously ridiculous, it makes you realize (unfortunately) that no matter what we do on this board, there is a market out there for the AAA rubbish and other sellers of garbage. (Truly, a fool and his money...) I should have saved some of the messages. I even had one guy send me a message saying something like "You may want to check the authenticity of your photograph becuase the character that plays Frodo Baggins, Elijah Wood, may have been too young to have been alive when Christy Mathewson was alive. I think the photo might be an overlay..." The guy actually said that, even after reading my outrageous spoof auction description. I was like: "Gee, no kidding?" That one gave me a huge laugh...

Old 12-12-2002, 02:48 PM
Administrator

I'm getting ready to end this auction. Some of the emails I'm getting are causing me serious concerns about the state of the gene pool:

"Hi,
Is this card worth just as much as the regular (not premier) version of the card? I have seen that a psa 8 graded regular card went for over 1 million dollars. Will people see this card just the same as the regular version? So, if I sent this card to psa, they WOULD grade it? Thanks..Josh"

Old 12-12-2002, 03:10 PM
Administrator

As illustrated by the brisk sales of varous diet aids ('Eat all you want, never exercize and lose 30 pounds a week while you sleep. Simply wear this 1 inch square patch on your arm.'), there are a large number of idiots in this world.

From what I understand, the only way this patch could make you loose 30 pounds a week is if it contained anthrax of bubonic plaque.

Old 12-12-2002, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: kyle

Scott
You should add to your listing that this Old Blue Eyes version is also proof that Wagner was an ancestor of Frank Sinatra (on his mothers side) and he used his baseball presence to get his grandson's entertainment career off the ground.
But actually you should call this card the Old Cross Eyed version, the truth behind Wagners batting 8 batting titles.
Did the person who bid on this card do it to get in on the joke or are they serious??

Old 12-12-2002, 04:46 PM
Administrator

THAT's what's so scarey - I always assumed that if someone could read, that they had iq's above 70, but now I'm finding that isn't true.

But just for grins, I am adding "provenance" to this card sale - look for it at around 8:00pm tonight.

Old 12-12-2002, 04:53 PM
Administrator

"there is no way that the card shown on your auction is almost 100 years old"

LMAO...

Well, of course not, amstaff15216, no card 100 years old could "dance" itself blurry like that...

amstaff15216: Please see all of the AAA-slabbed auctions on eBay for some true 100-year-old beauties. If you're lucky, you'll get a piece of a page out of an old Collier's Encyclopedia...

Old 12-12-2002, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

Maybe we could make one about collectors and such! You will be the script writter.imagine thw charaters you could use!

Old 12-12-2002, 05:11 PM
Administrator

I'm guessing ebay won't let it last too much longer.

Old 12-12-2002, 05:19 PM
Administrator

...your story is better, has better grammar than any of 2nd-Grade-Grammar-Man's auctions, and for crying out loud! Your dog died!! That fact alone should bring you some extra lettuce for this card!

Old 12-12-2002, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: kyle

Scott
Your "provenance" story is absolutely hilarious. I dont know what you do for a living but I think you may have a calling as a childrens author or at least telling some good bedtime stories.
This is good stuff! I just hope the sellers of the other "Blue Eye Wagners" could read this, maybe they could get a few embelishment pointers from you.

Thanks for some great entertainment.

Old 12-12-2002, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

Scott,isn't TUTTLE,BILL the same guy Elkins got the oil tainted fake e-95 Cobb from??? Where's Vorthian?? he tracks these cards. Didn't Tuttle go on this very board and laugh at Elkins for being the fall guy on the bogus Cobb???