NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Hank Thomas

Default New Walter Johnson Card?

Just picked this up in a trade, wanted to see if anyone else had ever seen one before. Also, wondering if this would be regarded by the hobby as an actual card or as an advertising piece? It's postcard size, and the paper is card or postcard stock. I'm also posting pictures of another piece I have with the same artwork, from a calendar produced by the Faithorn Company in 1912. My piece has been cut out of the larger calendar, and I had no idea what it was until a full calendar of another player popped up on eBay several years ago. Anyone seen another of those, by any chance? I can't decipher the name of the artist other than the last name, which I think is Brompton. The first initial could by "J." This same artwork was used for a Crack-A-Jack uniform salesman's sample book page from around the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wj.jpg (74.2 KB, 625 views)
File Type: jpg back.jpg (68.0 KB, 619 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12021.jpg (55.7 KB, 622 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12023.jpg (42.6 KB, 618 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default neat ad card

I haven't seen one of those before but have quite a few different premiums that are sort of similar. I definitely consider them cards, just of an unknown type. Now, if you are sure yours was cut from a calendar, then no I wouldn't consider it a card...per se'. Cool ad piece either way. Thanks for sharing. Here is a different card that comes to mind when I see yours, though I think this one is a bit more like a card due to the stats on back, but I am not positive...

Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 AM

I've never seen it before - but I would consider it a card.

nice pickup Hank!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijoem View Post
I've never seen it before - but I would consider it a card.

nice pickup Hank!
+1

Very cool!
Old 04-09-2012, 01:21 PM

What is rare is is Leon's gold quarter.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Phil Garry

Very nice, Hank. I would say that it is a card as well.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Hank Thomas

Any ideas on what the "120-P" in the left lower corner might mean? And anyone want to take a stab at the artist's name (on the calendar piece)? Thanks for the input and help.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:21 PM

There may have had different trade cards, thus the catalog no. It's possible it was a generic trade card that the store had it's name stamped/printed on. A lot of trade cards, especially in the 1800s, were like that. Many 1880s Tobin Litho. trade cards have a local company stamped on it. Thus the catalog number could be from the printer.

Just thinking out loud.

Last edited by drc; 04-09-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Brad Green

There also appears to be a word written under Walter's left armpit along his side? Health, maybe? The same word appears on both items -- I think.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

great card Hank!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Dan Bretta

I see it's for sale for $50.00....I'll take it.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftygrove10 View Post
There also appears to be a word written under Walter's left armpit along his side? Health, maybe? The same word appears on both items -- I think.
Looking at the larger piece closely, I don't think a word was intended, just hash marks intending to convey motion. Nice observation, though, Brad, and my eye can definitely create the word "Health" or "Halth" out of them. I'm sure there's quite a history of subliminal messages (intended or not) in art over the years, so who knows? At least finding that was easier than deciphering the guy's name--no matter how hard I look at it, I can't figure out his middle initial. Incidentally, here's a picture of the uniform book page with the same artwork:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crack-a-Jack Uniform.jpg (13.8 KB, 156 views)
Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 PM

Awesome card Hank! You out did yourself this time for sure!!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I thought

I thought this card was cut from a calendar? If it only resembles a figure on a calendar then of course it's a card .....and after more thought could be considered a card anyway. That being said, I try to stay away from most things cut from ads and sold as cards. Just my opinion. But I am getting the idea this piece wasn't necessarily cut off a schedule at all. I still have bad memories of the W-Unc 1935 manager cards of which were found to be cut from schedules (I think I was one of the first to bring that situation to light). I had to refund a sale back to someone, once that was found out, but such is life.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Hank was saying that the 2nd piece he showed for reference with the same image was cut from a calendar - not the ad card.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM

I have one of those calendars with the managers on it leon. Yes we didn't know where they came from for a long time. Same as the W-Unc 1910 cards that were cut from a child's notebook.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Hank was saying that the 2nd piece he showed for reference with the same image was cut from a calendar - not the ad card.
My mistake then. Absolutely a card....and a cool one at that!!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
I have one of those calendars with the managers on it leon. Yes we didn't know where they came from for a long time. Same as the W-Unc 1910 cards that were cut from a child's notebook.

Yeap, but for some reason I am still pretty cool with the notebook cards....it's sort of almost like they were made to be cut out. (though I doubt they were) And one collector never let me off the hook on the manager cards even though I was the one that brought them to light. Fortunately he has been in prison for a long time....and hopefully stays there forever.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:58 PM

Yes that is it! What? Did he expect you to know what they were from? None of us knew until a calendar surfaced. And yes, he isn't going any where soon.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Val Kehl

Hi Hank - Seeing this amazing WaJo card at your table was the highlight for me at the very recent Chantilly, VA show. Many thanks for the show and tell.
Best,
Val
Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Nice Johnson card

thanks Leon for posting that 1937 schedule pic, I had a couple of those "cards" too...
heard where they came from a couple years back, but this is the first time Ive seen the actual schedule.